Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comics Thread for October....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Comics Thread for October....

Does anyone know if the What if Lois Lane Married Bruce Wayne story is in trade form? They showed the cover in last year's DC's Greatest Imaginary Stories but they haven't done a second volume.
Old 10-01-06, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Does anyone know if the What if Lois Lane Married Bruce Wayne story is in trade form? They showed the cover in last year's DC's Greatest Imaginary Stories but they haven't done a second volume.
I'm not aware of any plans for a second volume, and that story (Lois Lane #89) has never been reprinted as far as I know. Your bets bet is either eBay or someplace like Mile High.
Old 10-01-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of comics for me this week.

Ed Brubaker's Criminal -

Preview here:
http://milehighcomics.com/firstlook/100406/cri1cvr.html

Paul Dini's Detective Comics

David Lapham ( stray bullets ) is writing a Giant Size Wolverine

Cross Bronx # 2

Jonah Hex

And I might pick up other side and true story if my store gets it, although I doubt they will.

Damn, I haven't bought this many single issues at one time in years.
Old 10-02-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm trying DCBS out this month, so it will be a light LCS month for me. I am interested in one this week, Beyond, so will probably pick that up and maybe some others to try out.
Old 10-02-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is Brubaker's Criminal out this week? I have been looking forward to that for such a long time - his crime works are amazing.
Old 10-02-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm not aware of any plans for a second volume, and that story (Lois Lane #89) has never been reprinted as far as I know. Your bets bet is either eBay or someplace like Mile High.
Thanks for the info. I'm not lusting after it or anything, but I remember it as an enjoyable story that I'd like to read again if it were convenient. I probably have the original in a box somewhere...
Old 10-02-06, 07:31 PM

When was the last time Stray Bullets came out anyway? I miss Virginia.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thanks for the info. I'm not lusting after it or anything, but I remember it as an enjoyable story that I'd like to read again if it were convenient. I probably have the original in a box somewhere...
If all you want to do is read it...drop me an e-mail (my username @gmail.com)
Old 10-03-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This week:

Invincible: great, as always, although sometimes I feel like Kirkman is setting up too much story when there's enough as it is...but maybe that's a good thing? he's done a pretty good job of weaving multiple storylines together at once and paying them off only to lead to an even BIGGER story... I'm just glad to see this book going so strong.

Walking Dead: this was a surprise, as it wasn't on Diamond's list. It was a great read as usual and more surprises...what I really love is how much he rips off Agent 355 from Y: The Last Man without REALLY ripping her off.

Ultimates: Hm, wasn't expecting this one. It's been so long I don't even care about the storyline anymore. This is one case where lateness really destroys the impact of a storyline. It also seemed a little too similar to the end of the Chitauri storyline.

Ultimate Spider-man: weak storyline altogether and for some reason Bendis has become really hit or miss on this book. I also am growing weary of the rushed art. Early issues showed a lot of polish but Bagley seems really pushed when he's doing 18 issues a year. The pencils in the back really reminded me of the quality of his art - maybe it's the inking/coloring as well? either way, his style has really suffered during his run on this book.

Justice League of America: This book is way too convoluted for it's own good. It takes too much of DC's history to understand, and considering that they just went through another universe-smashing Crisis...well...
Old 10-04-06, 02:12 PM
Banned

Call me nuts but I absolutely despise any and all of the Marvel Giant specials they seem to release every week. I saw the Giant Wolverine and I told my LCS NO WAY to this book. My LCS tend to pull all of these waste of time issues. I mean $5 for one new story and bunch of crap reprints? No thanks they can keep them. I have told my LCS many times I don't want the crap Marvel Giant issues. Do people actually buy these for $5 a pop?
Old 10-04-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Call me nuts but I absolutely despise any and all of the Marvel Giant specials they seem to release every week. I saw the Giant Wolverine and I told my LCS NO WAY to this book. My LCS tend to pull all of these waste of time issues. I mean $5 for one new story and bunch of crap reprints? No thanks they can keep them. I have told my LCS many times I don't want the crap Marvel Giant issues. Do people actually buy these for $5 a pop?
The only Giant-size issue I've bought since Marvel started doing it not long ago is the Hulk issue, which I thought was worth it. It had a Planet Hulk tie in story and included The Hulk: The End, which I quite enjoyed. All of their other Giant-size issues I haven't been all that interested in for all the reasons you named.
Old 10-04-06, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
I haven't seen any of the Giants, but a few years ago, there were Monster issues that I was buying because of the reprints and in spite of the new story. One man's "crap reprint" is another man's classic story. I poked around on Marvel.com and I don't really have any interest in Giant Size Wolverine -- Jim Lee X-Men never did much for me -- but the Hulk issue with David/Keown's Maestro story? I am all over that!
Old 10-04-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't pick up cross bronx, but picked up jonah hex, detective comics, giant size wolverine and the max sampler. I'm done buying marvel comics for a while.

Count me in on someone who didn't know it was half reprint. I thought I was going to get a 44-50 page story by david lapham, after all it says GIANT SIZE on the fucking cover.

I also picked up the MAX sampler for one dollar and was pissed off. It's just a few pages of rough pencils for some of their crappy max books with a ton of ads. I know it only cost a dollar, but looking at what dc and image have done for "previews" it was a joke. Half assed and better pics and info I can get online.

I think I may just go back to trades in general.
Old 10-05-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know we all hate DCBS comments, but can someone help me with some math? I noticed that DC and Dark Horse have done early solicatations for their trades and HCs. So if I orderd books for January and put one of those in my basket that are shipping in February, I'm paying for shipping for two months.

If I order again the next month, I'm doing the same, almost double dipping on shipping (at least, that's the way it seems).

I can live with that. But if anything slips, I could be paying for shipping in January for something that doesn't ship 'til March.

Am I getting screwed then? Or does it all equal out?
Old 10-05-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lukewarmwater, I've been 'all trades' for about three months and I love it. It's like a weight lifted from my shoulders (and put on my sagging bookshelves).

Has anyone been reading Cross Bronx? I'm thinking I want to get it in trade, but want to hear what others are saying about it.

I haven't read Y: The Last Man #50, but I'm excited to.
Old 10-05-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should change my name to Thread Killer.
Old 10-05-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those that go to the LCBS for their books - yesterday morning when I stopped in for this week's shipment of paper crack, I noticed a small pile of DVD's in paper envelopes. It turned out to be Battlestar Galactica - The Story So Far, which was a Best Buy exclusive w/ the purchase of season 2.5. So if you're into BG, check out your local store and see if you can score one. The owner of the store I go to said Diamond won't let him order any more copies, so if your LCBS didn't order it already, they're not going to be able to get it.

I got my copy for free, but it's certianly a YMMV situation.
Old 10-05-06, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
Didn't pick up cross bronx, but picked up jonah hex, detective comics, giant size wolverine and the max sampler. I'm done buying marvel comics for a while.

I also picked up the MAX sampler for one dollar and was pissed off. It's just a few pages of rough pencils for some of their crappy max books with a ton of ads. I know it only cost a dollar, but looking at what dc and image have done for "previews" it was a joke. Half assed and better pics and info I can get online.

I think I may just go back to trades in general.
I picked up the MAX sampler yesterday at the LCS and I thought it sucked and put it back. I have to say though I thought the sampler was for FREE and I still still not want it! Is Marvel going off the deep end or what? Aren't they giving away for free the Stephen King Gunslinger preview in the coming months?
Old 10-05-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was a small week for me with only 3 books. I've only had time to read 2 of them, but man what reading it was.

First up was Criminal #1 - This was a great intro to the mini and is a reminder of why Ed Brubaker is probably the best writer Marvel has now. Very gritty with a little noir thrown in. The artwork from Sean Phillips is amazing and perfectly complements the story.

The real meat of the week was with Y #50 - We finally find out who is responsible for the plague, but not how they did it. It's great that we're finally getting answers after 4+ years of reading, but it kills me that there's only 10 issues left of this incredible series.
Old 10-05-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone read POWERS? I'm thinking of getting the hardcovers, but haven't read any issues? Worth getting?
Old 10-06-06, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like bendis's run on daredevil or alias then you'll like powers. The only downside, imo, is that it's a really good dark cop book in a superhero universe. I just wish it didn't have the superhero aspect to it, but otherwise great book.
Old 10-06-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a form of torture for me not to be able to read Y. It's self impossed, but I'm trying to wait until it's finished and then reread it again straight through. Same with Strangers in Paradise, and 100 Bullets (though I haven't been reading a 100 bullets).
Old 10-06-06, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Anyone read POWERS? I'm thinking of getting the hardcovers, but haven't read any issues? Worth getting?
I've never read it, but you should be aware that Newsarama is serializing the first storyline -- one new page each day -- here, so you can read the first 53 pages (and counting) before you decide.
Old 10-06-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
It's a form of torture for me not to be able to read Y. It's self impossed, but I'm trying to wait until it's finished and then reread it again straight through. Same with Strangers in Paradise, and 100 Bullets (though I haven't been reading a 100 bullets).
I considered doing this same thing for Y. The problem is that I didn't want to miss out on any conversations that might come up about it. I mean, the odds are good that I'll read a spoiler (in a headline, or as a joke, or whatever) before I could get my hands on that final tradepaperback.
Old 10-06-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That makes sense bishop, but I figure since I haven't finished Preacher or Sandman yet(don't pull my comics fan card), and have only had the very end of Sandman spoiled I think I'll be safe. I wouldn't be surprised though if when the final issues start to come out there could be a few headlines that just assume you're up to date though. It's titles like The Ultimates that I'm scared of being spoiled on. I'm waiting for the HC, but with the last issues upon us, I feel like a lamb in a mindfield of spoilers.

It's odd, but I don't see much discussion about Y around. Granted, I only go to two comics message boards, but still that is one of the prestige titles at Vertigo. But I also don't see books like Ex Machina or Fables discussed outside of threads that are specific to those books. You know how Civil War, Infinite Crisis, or even a high profile run like Jim Lee on Batman can take over boards and pop up everywhere, that doesn't really happen with titles like Y.

Last edited by boredsilly; 10-06-06 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-06-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I read through about 40 issues of Y about 2 months ago, and it was quite a ride (I had read the first TPB last year). So now I'm monthly on the series, and it's absolute torture to have to wait a month between issues now. But I'm pretty much a BKV fanboy, and will pick up most everything he writes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.