Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comics Thread for October....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
That was the second part of "Batman and Son" by Grant Morrison. You know, how he blended actions in the foreground with the pop art in the backgrounds? it was a great issue with TONS of energy. It's hard to get excited about comics nowadays - even big bang actions fiestas like Ultimates seem really repetitive and predictable.
I agree with you - that sequence was absolutely brilliant. It further proves why Grant Morrison is still one of the best writers working today.
Old 10-30-06, 03:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm torn on the singles vs TPB issue.

I've been a comic fan all of my life, and obviously want the industry to survive and thrive.

However, $ is $. Most local stores only give 10% off if you subscribe to X # of monthlys. Most of what I buy isn't monthly (independents, mini series, etc). I could probably eventually talk my way into a 25% discount at some store, but it would mean buying titles that I don't really want, and then re-buying them in TPBs.

Not buying the trades is NOT an option.

It is so much cheaper to just buy the trades (I can usually shop around and/or wait and get everything at roughly 50% off).

I'd have to spend 3 times what I spend now to get the singles and the trades at a local comic shop. That means I could only buy a third of what I buy now (I think I am no longer "lapsed" but am fully back now).

I hate to "kill the industry", but it has to be mainly trades for me.
Old 10-30-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
What issue is that? Are you talking about an issue of solo??
Since you mentioned Solo, was I the only one reading that series? I think it was as good as anything DC has put out in the past 15 years. The issue by Darwyne Cooke about Slam Bradly was one of the single greateset single issues of a comic I've ever read. It was truly a work of art. I think I'm gay for Darwyne Cooke. He is one of 3 artists I'll buy absolutely anything they do & there is nothing I'm more excited for than the upcoming Spirit series & his Batman/Spirit team-up. I've been picking up all the Spirit Archives. I'm up to 12, it's such great stuff, every comic book fan should check them out.

And Absolute New Frontier can't get here soon enough.
Old 10-30-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm torn on the singles vs TPB issue.

I've been a comic fan all of my life, and obviously want the industry to survive and thrive.

I hate to "kill the industry", but it has to be mainly trades for me.
If you buy trades all you're going to do is force the industry to move in a direction where it'll be forced to improve it's product - away from the stagnation of the past 15 years. The hype machine will die down and you'll get a better product that will be able to reach a larger audience.
Old 10-30-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
If you buy trades all you're going to do is force the industry to move in a direction where it'll be forced to improve it's product - away from the stagnation of the past 15 years. The hype machine will die down and you'll get a better product that will be able to reach a larger audience.
Yeah, that does suck. I'm going back to monthlies.
Old 10-30-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I think I'm gay for Darwyne Cooke.
Get in the back of the line!

Seriously, Cooke is so awesome. His style brings to mind the Batman/Superman/JL animated cartoons as well as classic 40's and 50's style of art(both of which I really enjoy).

People call Seven Soldiers a "quite event", but I think New Frontier was a totally "silent" one. I didn't even hear about it until it was over, which is sad as I think it's the best "Superhero" story to come out of any company in sometime. If you're cheering for the hero's in any comic, then the artist and writer are definately doing their job.
Old 10-30-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What's the gist of New Frontier?
Old 10-30-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
What's the gist of New Frontier?

http://dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=5886

In the 1950s, Cold War paranoia outlawed the Mystery Men of the Golden Age. Stalwarts such as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman continued to fight for truth and justice, but as the world hurtled toward an uncertain future, it would take a new breed of hero to define the American Way. DC: THE NEW FRONTIER takes readers on an epic journey from the end of the Golden Age of heroes to the beginnings of the legendary Justice League of America.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-31-06 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's with all the hatred for Spidey???

When I first started reading comics again in college (early 90's), the first book that I picked up was Amazing Spider-Man. I'll admit that, looking back, they're not the best stories, but I loved the character. I stuck with the Spidey books (and Marvel only) for a couple years, until the writing just got too bad to handle anymore. Fortunately, I got out before the Clone Saga, but I was there for some truly awful events. (Venom as a good guy??? Why that makes about as much sense as Maxwell Lord as a villian!!)
Still, these awful stories didn't diminish my love of the character. They just made me far less tolerant of poor writing and plotting. (The only thing that really saved me from giving up comics altogether at that point was that I finally listened to word of mouth and gave Sandman a try. My faith in comics restored, I ventured out into the world of Vertigo and small press books, as well as DC Comics, giving up on Marvel completely for several years.)

The problem with Spider-Man nowadays, in my opinion, is not the character. It's that no one seems to know how to write him anymore. The character is at his best when the book is kept as simple entertainment. We don't need big supposedly earth-shattering stoires like "The Others". We don't need Spider-Man unmasked.
I'm a huge fan of Babylon 5 , so I was thrilled when I heard that Straczynski was taking over. I thought there'd finally be a major talent involved. And, for a short while, I really liked what he was doing. Sure, humor was never Straczynski's strong suit, and his writing on Amazing Spider-Man proved that once again. But he was trying to do something a bit different with the book....introducing new villains (I love Spidey's rogues gallery, but no one has come up with a decent new villain for him in a long time) and making changes that should have been made a long time ago. (Seriously. They ran out of ideas for how to keep Spidey's identity a secret from Aunt May way back in the mid-60's, and it was time for the truth to come out.) But Straczynski's work on the title soon became tiresome. (Which again makes me wonder why I'm still reading it.) He does seem to really love the character, but he has forgotten the most important thing about making a good Spider-Man comic. It has to be fun!!!!!

Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man has tried to bring the fun back to the character, but the book is far too inconsistent. (The recent Mysterio story was a good time, while the mexican wrestler story was unbelievably awful.)

That's why when I read the post about a new Spider-Man writer, I began praying for Robert Kirkman to get the gig. He's joked in his letter columns about how he'd love to write Ultimate Spider-Man but Bendis won't give it up. And his writing on Invincible made me feel that he'd be the perfect fit.
I recently started picking up the trades of the now-cancelled Marvel Team-Up , and it turns out I was right. He is a perfect fit! His writing for Spidey in that title has the perfect combination of humor and action. No one has handled this character so well in ages.
It's too bad that he'll probably never get the chance to do Ultimate Spider-Man . I won't start up a Bendis debate here because there are those who love him and those (like myself) who find him insufferable and I highly doubt that we'll ever change each others' minds on this subject. But Bendis (along with Starczynski, Hudlin, and everyone else who has tackled the character in recent years) could learn a lot from Kirkman.
Old 10-30-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Since you mentioned Solo, was I the only one reading that series? I think it was as good as anything DC has put out in the past 15 years. The issue by Darwyne Cooke about Slam Bradly was one of the single greateset single issues of a comic I've ever read. It was truly a work of art. I think I'm gay for Darwyne Cooke. He is one of 3 artists I'll buy absolutely anything they do & there is nothing I'm more excited for than the upcoming Spirit series & his Batman/Spirit team-up. I've been picking up all the Spirit Archives. I'm up to 12, it's such great stuff, every comic book fan should check them out.

I think that there were two major things that kept people from picking uo Solo . One was the cover price. The other was that DC did as piss poor job of promoting it. (A Deadman story written by Neil Gaiman should be a big seller, but if you don't promote, who will buy it???)For these reasons the comic shops (in my area, at least) carried very few copies. (The few that they did order usually got snapped up early by those in the know, so back issue have been hard to come by for me, and I doubting that there will be a trade.)
I'm trying to cut back some on my comic spending, so I decided would only get the book if I really liked the talent involved. But because I didn't always know who would be doing each issue, I missed out on most of them.
I did, however, get the Darwyn Cooke issue, and it is, indeed, brilliant.

My heart tells me that no one other than Will Eisner should write The Spirit. Some company (Dark Horse, if I'm not mistaken) tried it a few years ago and had some major talent involved, including Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. But the results were less than spectacular.
So why should I be so excited about a new Spirit comic? Well, I guess it's because Darwyn Cooke is a damn genius. I have complete faith that he can pull it off. (Now if only those rumors had been true that he was taking over The Flash, I would be the happiest fanboy in the world.)

There's nothing that I can say about New Frontier that hasn't already been said better by someone else. It's absolutely perfect. One of the things that really stands out to me is that the small moments, such a Jonn Jonz learning English from a Marx Brothers movie are just as memorable as the major moments.
I have yet to buy a single Absolute Edition of any comics because of the price. (Hell! As bad as I want them, I can't even bring myself to spend all that money on the aforementioned Spirit Archives!) But I promise you this. Absolute New Frontier will be mine!

Last edited by Gamblor187; 10-30-06 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamblor187
I think that there were two major things that kept people from picking uo Solo . One was the cover price. The other was that DC did as piss poor job of promoting it. (A Deadman story written by Neil Gaiman should be a big seller, but if you don't promote, who will buy it???)For these reasons the comic shops (in my area, at least) carried very few copies. (The few that they did order usually got snapped up early by those in the know, so back issue have been hard to come by for me, and I doubting that there will be a trade.)
You have a point there. The only thing I heard about Solo was "It's awesome!" by people on message boards. I didn't really know what the book was about and wasn't trying to start reading another title. A book like that should have had no problem going on for as long as quality talent wanted to work on it. It was one of the better "Here, read this and see what comics can do!" books to come out. I will feel forever cheated that I didn't get a Marcos Martin Solo book.
Old 10-31-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Get in the back of the line!

Seriously, Cooke is so awesome. His style brings to mind the Batman/Superman/JL animated cartoons as well as classic 40's and 50's style of art(both of which I really enjoy).

People call Seven Soldiers a "quite event", but I think New Frontier was a totally "silent" one. I didn't even hear about it until it was over, which is sad as I think it's the best "Superhero" story to come out of any company in sometime. If you're cheering for the hero's in any comic, then the artist and writer are definately doing their job.
Cooke was actually an animator for the Batman Animated series. He also drew the opening scene.

I remember very little buzz for New Frontier but I still picked it up. Once i heard Darwyn Cooke was coming out with some new project I knew I had to have it.
Old 10-31-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody else read about the partnership between Marvel and Guiding Light??

Apparently tomorrow's episode will include plenty of comic book references as well as a character that will appear in several Marvel comics this week (or soon, I can't remember exactly).

This Fall, Marvel Comics and Procter & Gamble Productions are teaming up to bring to life the first comic book/soap opera crossover! As Guiding Light debuts a brand new super hero ON CBS Wednesday, November 1st, some of Guiding Light’s most popular characters interact with some of comic’s most famous characters in the pages of Marvel comics. You can read the story here. As a fan of Guiding Light, you are probably asking two important questions:

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
We are hoping that fans of Guiding Light will pick up a comic book and sample a new form of entertainment and we also hoping that Marvel fans tune into Guiding Light to watch the show. Let us know what you think

HOW DO YOU GET THE GUIDING LIGHT COMIC?
Finding a comic book store is much easier than you think! To find a comic books store near you, simply call 1-800-comicbook, or enter your zip code into the form below to see a list of nearby comic shops.

IN WHAT COMICS DOES THE GUIDING LIGHT STORY APPEAR? The 8-page story featuring members of the Cooper, Aitoro, and Spaulding families, as well as popular Marvel characters such as Wolverine, Spider-Man, and many more will be featured in the comics listed below. Please contact your local comic book retailer and reserve a copy of one these today!

Be sure to watch Guiding Light on CBS Wednesday, November 1st to see the origin of the world’s newest super hero! Check your local listings for times.
http://www.marvel.com/comics/Guiding_Light
Old 10-31-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome to see the love for Darwyne Cooke & New Frontier.

As if New Frontier wasn't amazing enough, the figures for it were also like the best figures EVER. I have them all, they are a must own. The smirking Hal Jordan is the greatest figure ever made.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-31-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Anybody else read about the partnership between Marvel and Guiding Light??

Apparently tomorrow's episode will include plenty of comic book references as well as a character that will appear in several Marvel comics this week (or soon, I can't remember exactly).

http://www.marvel.com/comics/Guiding_Light
I've always considered the majority of the big two's comics to be soap operas so I guess this just makes it official.