Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Thread for July

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I've gotten all of the Essential Marvel Handbooks so far, though I haven't read far into any of them (nor have I even completed issue 1 of the new handbook)... but I still love them. Maybe should've skipped over the first series, though, since the second series seems to have most of the same characters with updated entries...

If only DC would do a new Who's Who...
Yeah, I'm a major Official Handbook / Who's Who geek also. So much so that when I go to conventions, I make sure to look for anyone that wrote or drew the entries for the large loose-leaf version of Who's Who that DC did. It's my goal to get as many signed as possible. Damn near killed Mark Waid one year, as he wrote all the entries for the two Impact issues as well as many others.

If DC would start reprinting some of thier old Who's Who and start a new series of it, I'd be in heaven.
Old 07-12-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doeman
Quick question, do you guys have to pay in advance for pre-orders?
The order I just placed early in the month is for October shipping books. They don't charge immediately, usually it's a couple weeks before that month's order.
Old 07-12-06, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
New X-men is probably the most underrated x-book and has been a great read since the relaunch.
I disagree. I thought the first few issues of NXM after the X-23 writing team took over were interesting, but I've gotten a little numb from the massive death toll since then. Hopefully the follow-up arcs will be better.
Old 07-12-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
The order I just placed early in the month is for October shipping books. They don't charge immediately, usually it's a couple weeks before that month's order.
I placed on order on DCBS for Sept books a week ago, does a website already have listings for October?
Old 07-12-06, 04:16 PM

Bit disappointed that the 2nd Supreme Power HC collects the Hyperion mini and not the beginning of the 2nd series (along with the end of the first series, 13-18). I wasn't under the impression the Hyperion or Nighthawk minis were all that great?
Old 07-12-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This week's titles for me:

Superman - Kurt Busiek flies solo, and it's not a bad standalone issue re-establishing not only Superman's presence back in Metropolis, but also Clark's past inefficiencies and frequent disappearing act in his capacity as a news reporter.

52 week 10 - In an odd timing stroke, this week showcases Clark getting chewed out by Perry White for getting scooped on a new hero in town. Clark pulls a few time-tested tricks to get the story. Didn't care much for the Black Adam subplot, though he does get a talking-to.

Squadron Supreme - some of the team allows for some retribution after seeing some ghastly terror and violence perpetrated on innocents. Not quite I like the direction of this series for now.

Last edited by Patman; 07-12-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
I placed on order on DCBS for Sept books a week ago, does a website already have listings for October?
Yup, my bad. I was focusing on the LXG HC and saw that the ship date for that was 10/25, so I mistakenly assumed they were all October books. You're right with saying that should be September.

Doesn't quite explain why a late October pre-order would be available with September books, however.

Last edited by Chew; 07-12-06 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 11:19 PM

I find they usually charge around the 15th if not on the 15th without fail.
Old 07-13-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Stoney
Yah, Deadly Genesis was a pretty big disappointment. I was really excited about that and Marvel Zombies...luckily one of them turned out to be great.
Yeah, it kind of felt like a big X-revelation that no one really cared about anymore. It was also a poor way to introduce a new character. I mean it's one thing to have plotlines you want to resolve in the future, but to wait so long and keep your audience dangling only costs you. Take Invincible for instance - it's a great book, and there are always at least 2-3 subplots running through the book. He only recently came back to the subplot started with his father, and it seems like it's been a long time even though it was only really a few years ago on the title. Now, can you imagine waiting 10+ years to find out what happened? lately the X-books have been wrapping up all those plot threads, but it seems like with every story (Wolverine getting his adamantium back, The Twelve, 3rd Summers brother, Days of Future Past), there's less and less fanfare, and even less interest by the fan community.
Old 07-13-06, 09:25 AM

What happened to Batgirl? Why was it cancelled?

What happened to Kyle Rayner?

Who is this Conner guy that looks like Superman?

Who is this new Batwoman?

I see there's a new Flash#1, Who is he?
Old 07-13-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Batgirl probably got cancelled due to low sales.

Kyle became ION.

Connor Kent was the latest Superboy in the DCU, but he died in Infinite Crisis.
Batwoman is some lesbo rich lady.

New Flash is Bart
Old 07-13-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, my bad. I was focusing on the LXG HC and saw that the ship date for that was 10/25, so I mistakenly assumed they were all October books. You're right with saying that should be September.

Doesn't quite explain why a late October pre-order would be available with September books, however.
Look closer. Dark Horse started doing early solicits for trades and hardcovers months ago. Now DC has jumped on the idea. It sucks, too. This month I plan to order several early solicited books and only a few monthlies. Sucks because I'll pay $9 shipping this month for 5 monthlies, while the books that made the shipping more costly won't be shipped until the next month...a month where I'll have paid more shipping again.
Old 07-13-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is what I picked up yesterday, haven't read much yet . . .

52 WEEK #10 - 52 has been even better than I hoped it would be. The art has sucked for the most part, not much can be expected with a weekly comic. It certainly hasn't hurt the story at all.

AMERICAN VIRGIN #5 - Haven't read a single issue yet, but I'm a sucker for all things Vertigo.

DMZ #9 - I know this is an all superhero & spandex crowd here, but this is a great book. I was turned off by the first issue, b/c I thought it was very cliche, but then I read the rest & it really gets much better. And the art is phenomenal.

EXTERMINATORS #7 - But this is my favorite of the newer Vertigo series. Tony Moore is my 2nd favorite working artist. This is such an awesome & unique series.

FABLES #51 - I'm so far behind on this book, but it is never anything short of brilliant.

FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MAN #27 - I'm shocked this book has lasted so long, it kind of sucks but I've always liked the character.

GREEN ARROW #64 - My least favorite artist & my least favorite writer. Damn my love of Green Arrow.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #2 - Still love the corps, but I dropped GL. It's the first Johns book that I think sucks.

HAWAIIAN DICK THE LAST RESORT #4 - Holy crap, I thought they gave up on this book. I don't even remember what has happened in this story.

IRON MAN #10

JLA CLASSIFIED #24

MS MARVEL #5 - Ehhhh. Not in love with the book yet, but it doesn't suck.

NEXT #1 - Looks cool, haven't read it yet.

ROKKIN #1 - Another comic that won't least 10 issues, but I'll give it a try.

SHAOLIN COWBOY #6 - I only get his for the Darrow art.

SNAKEWOMAN #1 - Devi was actually pretty good, this looks like it may be good & I see John Woo & Garth Ennis are teaming up for a series with Virgin. This could be a pretty cool new publisher. I always see all these announcements from Marvel & DC about books "selling out". Both of these comics sold out before they even shipped, which is pretty big for a new publisher, but there hasn't been a word about that.

SUPERMAN #654 - Can't wait to read this I need some good Supes comics to get that disaster of a film out of my head.

THUNDERBOLTS #104 - I'm so F'n sick of this shitty Civil War tie-ins screwing up the Marvel books I read.

WALKING DEAD #29 - Comics don't get much better than this.

WASTELAND #1 - Been looking foward to this since the first solicitations.

WOLVERINE ORIGINS #4 - Actually been diggin' this book.

X-MEN #188 - Brubaker's first issue sucked, so I have little hope for this.
Old 07-13-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Has anyone read Hero Squared? I saw issue 2 yesterday, but wanted to look into it more before getting it.
Old 07-13-06, 05:13 PM

Some items in previews are advance solicited; Absolute Dark Knight (advance solicited last month doesn't ship until late in the year, I think in Dec?) is another example.
Old 07-13-06, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17

DMZ #9 - I know this is an all superhero & spandex crowd here, but this is a great book. I was turned off by the first issue, b/c I thought it was very cliche, but then I read the rest & it really gets much better. And the art is phenomenal.
I agree, I've been reading DMZ since the first issue and its a terrific book Glad to see Queen & Country is being solicited again in Previews, its been awhile since I saw a Q&C issue hit the stands...
Old 07-13-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Hey, I'm new to this thread, but here's what I picked up

Civil War Frontline #1 - Heard this was good, so I picked it up, and will continue with the mini. I like that it has different stories, and all seem fleshed out.

ASM #530,531 - Some fool at my LCS took out 529 from my pull box, so for now I have these two. Good primer to Civil War.

Walking Dead #29 - Was surprised that this was out today to be honest, but great issue. Like I said before, those people that thought this was turning into a soap opera should eat their words now.

Escapists #1 - Great story. Artist of Vimanarama and BKV, my favorite writer, makes for an awesome combo. Can't wait for the next issue.

Fables #51 - Coming off of #50, this is sort of a downer, but an all right issue nonetheless. Cinderella's tactics were similar to Bigby's last issue in terms of planning and execution.

Hawaiian Dick #4 - Haven't read this yet, just had to say that it took TWO ****ING YEARS to finally finish. I don't even remember what the hell happened in the previous issues, nor do I have much interest to read this soon.

American Virgin #5 - Okay, I'm wondering where this series can go from here. How long can this pan out? But hey, maybe I'll eat my words like others did for Walking Dead.
Old 07-14-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never heard a single person complain about the soap opera-ness of Walking Dead. If anything I see people praising the character interaction more than anything else.
Old 07-14-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Yeah, I haven't heard anyone complain personally, but in the letters column Kirkman has a few letters from people who feel that it's getting like that.
Old 07-14-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah, I haven't heard anyone complain personally, but in the letters column Kirkman has a few letters from people who feel that it's getting like that.
You see, I just have developed a trust that his story will come around and what he does is for the better of it.
Old 07-14-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exharrison
You see, I just have developed a trust that his story will come around and what he does is for the better of it.
That makes sense as I don't think he's let us down with the book yet. Even the "quiet" issues are really really good.
Old 07-14-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he's evil and he was making us all feel comfortable before he makes it all go to utter HELL. The last two issues were the most intense comic books i've read since "The Killing Joke" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?". My heart was literally pounding at the end of each issue.

Spoiler:
It was even MORE intense than the storyarc through Wilshire Estates - when they found that housing community that was supposedly their safe haven. The prison was even more ideal, and even after working through all that shit with the other prisoners it seemed like they were finally settling in and that maybe there was hope for them to live peacefully. Then they're brutally violated in a way I can't even begin to fathom. That's why I love this book - and why most mainstream books utterly fail. There's real tension, and we're so glued to the characters it makes that impact all the more intense. I couldn't care less if Aquaman lost his hand - but when Rick got his hand chopped off I literally dropped the comic. I couldn't believe what i was seeing, and the last page only reinforces the seriousness of the situation. I love this book.
Old 07-14-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Yeah, I'm a major Official Handbook / Who's Who geek also. So much so that when I go to conventions, I make sure to look for anyone that wrote or drew the entries for the large loose-leaf version of Who's Who that DC did. It's my goal to get as many signed as possible. Damn near killed Mark Waid one year, as he wrote all the entries for the two Impact issues as well as many others.

If DC would start reprinting some of thier old Who's Who and start a new series of it, I'd be in heaven.
I know after the "History of the DC Universe" feature in 52, they are doing "Secret Origins", starting with Wonder Woman. There's been talk that that may include some "Who's Who" entries.
Old 07-14-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen
I know after the "History of the DC Universe" feature in 52, they are doing "Secret Origins", starting with Wonder Woman. There's been talk that that may include some "Who's Who" entries.
I think DC has had some Who's Who entries mixed in with their annuals lately... I'd be happy if they just collected those. Didn't the original Who's Who start right before Crisis on Infinite Earths? I know there are major problems with keeping such a publication up to date, but I used to love going through the tomes and finding characters or storylines I never knew about, then searching backissue bins to read about them.
Old 07-14-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're a fan of Mike Mignola and/or Hellboy, you might be interested in this: http://www.scifi.com/amazingscrewonhead/

The complete pilot is available for viewing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.