Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Midtown Comics lists #29 for this week.
You and Midtown Comics are my hero.
Old 07-10-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Re the price of comics: I have no problem paying what I pay for the books I enjoy (be it in trades or issues). The stories are worth it to me. I don't buy a million books each week so I'm not the best judge of this, but when I see people upset about books costing an extra quarter I can't help but think....it's just a quarter. It's like that game you play when you're little:
"Would you do stupid thing X for $100"
"Yeah."
"Would you do stupid thing X for $99"
"Yeah."
"Would you do stupid thing X for $67"
"Absolutely not"
"But you would for $68?"

I understand everything has it's breaking point, but why is it always all or nothing? Why not just scale back to your essential books or switch to online to find cheaper books or go trades?

Lets say comics were raised to $4 an issue overnight. Are your current favorite 3 titles not worth that to you? They may not be, I can understand that, I'm just curious. I thought cd pricing was getting out of hand a few years ago (with stuff going for $19 or more) but at the same time a good/great CD is worth so much more than that to me.
All good points, m'man. I've been thinking of going all trades and dropping books because of the cost. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's not the price of comics that's bothering me, it's the bulging pull list. I'm easily suckered into trying this new comic and that new hyped book. By ordering three months ahead, you suddenly get bogged down with crappy comics before you can stop ordering them. So I'm suddenly ordering $50 of monthlies each month when in reality, only $20 of that is going to really good, high quality books.

I just emptied my pull list on DCBS and started to rebuild it. After reading most of my books for the month, I've determined that there are only 3-5 must read books each month. I plan to keep it less than 8 or so a month, so the rest can go to good collections that I know I'll enjoy.
Old 07-10-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BS, I'll get you a list of non superhero books soon. Gotta get back to work....

Ah yeah, more omniboo and hardcover goodness coming our way:
New X-Men

Runaways

Last edited by bishop2knight; 07-10-06 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-10-06, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Brave New World....Martian Manhunter...Whoa....

Also, one can't help but see the parallels between what's happening in real life here in America and what's happening with Uncle Sam and The Freedom Fighters. This could end up being one of the most relevant Hero Groups in the DCU.
I know you're a DC guy, but you may want to check out Marvel's Civil War, which seems to be exploring similar themes to those that showed up in the Freedom Force Brave New World story.
Old 07-10-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I know you're a DC guy, but you may want to check out Marvel's Civil War, which seems to be exploring similar themes to those that showed up in the Freedom Force Brave New World story.

Yeah I heard about that. Mind you, I'm a little "too the right" of most comic writers and artists and although I see the comparisons to real life and I'm honest enough to admit they're on to something deep, I have enough problems seeing them in the DCU let alone Marvel's.

Either way...
Spoiler:
I LOVED the image of the newly risen Uncle Sam getting ready to "Fix shit" in Brave New World. I wonder if that image means Father Time won't be the leader of The Freedom Fighters for too much longer....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-10-06 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
BS, I'll get you a list of non superhero books soon. Gotta get back to work....

Ah yeah, more omniboo and hardcover goodness coming our way:
New X-Men

Runaways
Nice. This is what I'm looking forward to.

Has anyone seen anything that confirms the date? All I can find on Marvel's website is the HC.
Old 07-10-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by exharrison
Me too.
Old 07-10-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
'robo, you know that's from Marvel, right?
Old 07-10-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me too.
Do you plan on getting the TPB or the HC?
Old 07-10-06, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone seen anything that confirms the date? All I can find on Marvel's website is the HC.
I'm such an 80s Marvel nerd that I'm looking forward to this most of all.

Here's what Amazon has listed for Marvel for December (take it with a grain of salt until you see an official word from Marvel, but this should be fairly reliable):

Digests:
Marvel Holiday Digest

Essentials:
Essential OHOTMU Update ’89

TPBs:
Avengers: Galactic Storm vol.2
Captain America: Red Menace vol.2
Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation
Heroes Reborn: Avengers
Marvel Comics Presents Wolverine vol.4
New X-Men: Childhood’s End vol.3
Ultimate X-Men vol.15: Magical
What If? Classic vol.3
Wolverine: Origins & Endings
X-Factor vol.1: the Longest Night

Premiere HCs:
Moon Knight vol.1: the Bottom

HCs:
Runaways vol.2
Supreme Power vol.2

Omniboo:
New X-Men Omnibus
Old 07-10-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm such an 80s Marvel nerd that I'm looking forward to this most of all.
I have some issues of that. Good old days of comic grab bags supplying me with fun background reads.
Old 07-10-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do you plan on getting the TPB or the HC?
Whatever's CHEAPEST and Yeah I know it's Marvel.
Old 07-10-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Justice League Unlimited is a great title. It's written for a younger audience and the stories are always positive and uplifting. None of the crisis of the main DCU is happening here and there's always obscure heroes appearing.

I agree with this. I picked up a issue just because The Question was in it. The story was indeed kiddy but I liked it. I might have to added it my monthly list.
Old 07-10-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I have some issues of that. Good old days of comic grab bags supplying me with fun background reads.
I've gotten all of the Essential Marvel Handbooks so far, though I haven't read far into any of them (nor have I even completed issue 1 of the new handbook)... but I still love them. Maybe should've skipped over the first series, though, since the second series seems to have most of the same characters with updated entries...

If only DC would do a new Who's Who...
Old 07-10-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reading my pull this week was painful.

Supergirl: Now i'd like to know what's wrong with Joe Kelly. He is the most inconsistent writer in comics. He can something write something incredible daring and exciting yet turn around and then write something formulaic and totally lacking cohesion. Supergirl as a character feels less like a solid character and more like a bad excuse to show off T and A. Her storylines have been more convoluted than Linda Danvers, although they're not as clever. We're only two issues into a story where we know nothing about what's really going on and they keep dropping bombshells on us. I think the fact that the story is already a mystery is enough of a bombshell for most readers.

Uncanny X-men: I realize that this is one book that will never, ever, EVER be good again. The experimental and clever New X-men and the "classic" feel of Astonishing are the only times i've enjoyed the X-men in the past few years. The other X-men books are good though - X-factor is an extremely clever book that's not only interesting, but it's actually written well. New X-men is probably the most underrated x-book and has been a great read since the relaunch.

Detective Comics: Just like Brubaker on 'Tec years ago, Dini writes great stories because he writes DETECTIVE STORIES. What a novel idea, writing detective stories for a character that's supposed to be the world's greatest detective in a comic called detective comics. And even though it's a standalone issue, he doesn't feel like a throwaway villain.
Old 07-10-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I might be a few months off. Here is some of what I have.

Invincible = As good as ever. This is a strange book because it has a kiddy feel mixed with ultra violence at times. He thought he was stronger. Great stuff. The low point that wasn't really low was the beat down of the mother.

The Walking Dead = Better than ever. This issue surprised me. Something happens to the main character or a main character. I have no idea if he will survive the next issue. I don't think anyone is safe in this book. The only bad part was the bad guy was to bad, yet not bad enough. I know that sounds strange. I get the sense there are more good people than bad so I'm thinking why don't the good people kick his butt. The guy is bad but not in the "he so bad he might kill me from the grave" way. Well I guess he could do that in this book.

Jonah Hex = crap. just got because the comic guys were going on and on about how great this book is. There was one good moment when the whore was talking about how ugly Hex is.
Old 07-11-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I might be a few months off. Here is some of what I have.

Invincible = As good as ever. This is a strange book because it has a kiddy feel mixed with ultra violence at times. He thought he was stronger. Great stuff. The low point that wasn't really low was the beat down of the mother.
Bingo. It's a great book because it's a post-modern reimagining of Superman. It's a perpetual "what if" story: what if Superman had a son, what if Superman was really evil - could he be stopped? what if there was an entire race of Supermen, and they weren't on the side of angels? what if someone used their powers to alter the world instead of punching out bad guys? this is a book that takes what ifs and rolls with them constantly.
Old 07-11-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anyone tell me anything about X-Men: Deadly Genesis? I see the trade is out this week and I was considering getting it because I was lost when reading Uncanny X-Men last week.
Old 07-11-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
Can anyone tell me anything about X-Men: Deadly Genesis? I see the trade is out this week and I was considering getting it because I was lost when reading Uncanny X-Men last week.
I was going to pick up Deadly Genesis since I was a little lost as well, but I read where Bru said that the X-men story is a good jump on point since although it follows DG, its still a stand alone story. He also said more "back-up" story will be introduced through upcoming issues so its not nessesary...Ill still probably pick it up though
Old 07-11-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read the first few issues of Deadly Genesis and hated it. Not that what I think matters, but there you go.
Old 07-11-06, 05:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yah, Deadly Genesis was a pretty big disappointment. I was really excited about that and Marvel Zombies...luckily one of them turned out to be great.
Old 07-12-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope the zombies trade has all of the alternate covers full sized and not in some "covers gallery".
Old 07-12-06, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add another $15 onto my previous $153 DCBS pre-order. I completely forgot to get the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen HC.

b2k isn't the only one whose pull-list needs an overhaul.
Old 07-12-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy crap. $153? That's madness. Oh wait, that's only a few more bucks than mine. Yeah, we both need help.
Old 07-12-06, 07:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chew
Add another $15 onto my previous $153 DCBS pre-order. I completely forgot to get the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen HC.

b2k isn't the only one whose pull-list needs an overhaul.
Quick question, do you guys have to pay in advance for pre-orders?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.