Reload this Page >

Comics on DVD-ROM: The New Future?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comics on DVD-ROM: The New Future?

Old 10-28-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts
Some new announcements of upcoming releases:

Marvel: The Complete Civil War Collection - This DVD contains the complete Civil War storyline, including all spin-offs and tie-ins, on one DVD-ROM. Releasing 11-28-07. Retail price is $29.99 but Tales of Wonder has it priced at $20.99.

Marvel: The House of M Complete Collection - This DVD contains the complete Civil War storyline, including all spin-offs and tie-ins, on one DVD-ROM. Releasing 11-28-2007. Retail price is $14.99 but TOW has it at $10.49.

Daredevil - pushed to January 2008
Thor - pushed to 2008

Pretty interesting news for those looking for more recent titles/series.
Old 10-28-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coming soon:

Enjoy the complete 29 Years of National Lampoon Magazine all on one DVD-Rom. Releasing in November 2007. List price is $49.99. TOW has it for $39.99.

Recently released:

A total of over 500 complete comic books including Annuals, all articles, Printed Circuits, Bullpen Bulletins, Pinups and every single advertisement. Revisit and relive every Iron Man comic book every printed covering over 43 years, March 1963 through December 2006. Available now. List price is $49.99. TOW has it for $39.99.
Old 10-28-07, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now if only they'd put all the issues of Famous Monsters Of Filmland on a DVD-Rom....
Old 12-01-07, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discontinued...

Marvel has terminated its contract with GIT Corp and all of the DVD-ROM collections are being discontinued. Marvel is apparently instituting a subscription-based web site for reading back issues that sounds like it won't be nearly as complete as what these collections offer. House of M and Civil War will be the last ones produced. Daredevil and Thor are cancelled. GIT Corp is allowed to print as many more copies of existing releases as they can before the end of 2007. Then they will have until the end of February 2008 to sell them off. After that, any remaining copies the manufacturer has will be sent to Marvel and presumably destroyed. I assume retail stores will be able to continue selling whatever they have left until their inventory is gone.

I just spent over $200 to order the rest of the titles I needed from Amazon. Based on my research, the below are what you need to buy to get the complete set of every Marvel title this company scanned in. I've included links to purchase them, mostly from Amazon who seems to be under $35 on most of the titles right now. These are the massive 40 year collections:

Fantastic Four Silver Surver The Complete Collection
The Incredible Hulk The Complete Collection
The Amazing Spider-Man The Complete Collection
The Invincible Iron Man The Complete Collection
The Avengers 40 Years
40 Years of X-Men
Captain America The Complete Collection

These are a bit smaller since these series haven't been around for 40 years:

Ghost Rider The Complete Collection
Ultimate X-Men Complete Comic Book Collection
Ultimate Fantastic Four (Best Buy exclusive pack-in)

This next set has mostly duplicate issues from the above collections but includes #s 1-10 each of Sub-Mariner and Daredevil as well:

Marvel Comic Book Library

These two are smaller collections that only cover recent years, however they add about 20 newer issues that the large collections didn't have. They were apparently exclusive to Allegro Music, who does sell them through Amazon. The company had other similar releases for Fantastic Four, Hulk, and Ghost Rider but those apparently did not include any additional issues:

Spiderman Unmasked (Adds Vol. 2 #s 532-539)
Uncanny X-Men Apocalypse Now -- Again (Adds #s 462-474)

Some other notes...

Early on they released some CD-ROMs with just the first 10 issues of different series on them. You can get most of them at Eagle One Media. Daredevil is one of them so if you don't want the Sub-Mariner issues but you just want these you can buy that instead of the Marvel Comic Book Library.

There were earlier 40 year collections for Spider-Man and Fantastic Four but those contents were apparently completely rolled over into the newer editions linked above.

There is also a release called The Amazing Spider-Man The Last 20 Years collection which is obviously about half the size of the larger Amazing Spider-Man collection. It does include a few newer issues the larger edition doesn't have, but those issues and a few more newer ones are included in the Allegro Music exclusive release mentioned above.

Complete collections of the recent House of M and Civil War storylines are coming out this month. I believe they may be exclusive to Diamond Comic Distributors this time so they may or may not be available from a store like Amazon directly.

If you're a reseller, you can apparently set up an account on GIT CORP's web site to order copies from them directly. If you can still secure any inventory from them, it might be a good investment, especially with the Iron Man and Hulk movies coming out next year. I have a feeling these may disappear from retailers almost instantly when they're discontinued. It sounds like some retailers may not actually keep a real inventory of these on hand, but simply take orders and request a new shipment from the manufacturer to fill the orders. At any point after December the ability to fill those orders can and will cease.

In my opinion, the awareness that these titles even exist is so low that demand will continue to increase in the years to come. A lack of marketing and poor distribution seem to have been the main problems. It probably doesn't help that stores seem to categorize these under software. That means if you're shopping for books or movies you probably won't see these and if you're shopping for video games, you probably aren't interested in buying scans of comic books. This odd classification for these products seems to have made most normal stores uninterested in even carrying them.

Last edited by JediJones; 12-01-07 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-01-07, 08:04 PM

Is DC gonna get into the DVD-ROM business too?

If Superdickery is anything to go buy, a collection of golden/silver age Superman comics would be too good an offer to pass...especially if all the spin-off comics (Loise Lane and Jimmy Olsen) were also included
Old 12-04-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Daredevil and Thor are cancelled.
That really sucks. I was looking forward to the Daredevil edition. I didn't really want the Thor edition but would have bought it anyway.
Old 12-04-07, 07:38 PM
Banned

Yeah, I would've collected every single one of them that contained the silver & bronze age stuff. Every last one! I think Marvel has their head in their arse thinking that on-line comics will fly better than these DVD-ROM collections. I will not use the Marvel site, unless it were free (it's not), and burnable to either CD or DVD-ROM (it's not).
Old 12-04-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Rich Johnston's Lying in the Gutters column had instructions on how to download from Marvel's site, assuming Marvel hasn't closed that loophole.
Old 12-07-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts
what the...
what a shame marvel has canceled these discs.

i havent gotten to buy any yet and all 9 of them would seem to be about $260, not including the best buy FF one and the 2 smaller ones not available at amazon now.
Old 12-09-07, 01:38 PM
JCZ
Cool New Member

I need to get the Hulk and Avengers disks before the end comes. I know I won't go to the Marvel site and hope GIT is able to get the rights to other comic books and magazines from other publishers. I gave up on reading comics in the early 90's because of all the variations of a single comic and the other greedy plans hatched by the publishers. At least with these GIT disks I was able to read about the issues I cared about at a cheap price. I think Marvel is missing out on not marketing older comics to buyers like me who don't know what is going on in comic books these days and for one reason or another don't care to purchase the new issues. I set aside a certain amount of money each week to buy crap with, and if Marvel doesn't want me to have access to their achives by way of GIT (or another digital company with a disk I can keep and not rent) then I'll spend my money somewhere else.
Old 01-07-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the house of m complete and civil war dvd's have shown up.

better get 'em quick.

also many of the previously available editions have gone out on amazon or have had a price increase.
Old 01-11-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
the house of m complete and civil war dvd's have shown up.

better get 'em quick.

also many of the previously available editions have gone out on amazon or have had a price increase.
Yeah, I finished put my "complete collections" thru Amazon but can't seem to find House of M or Civil War on Amazon. Did you get it thru them or a different place?

In other news, checking out GIT's forums, it appears they have the rights to reprint Archie comics and some collections will likely be forthcoming.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-27-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

talesofwonder.com
Old 01-20-08, 05:58 PM
Banned

Well, my birthday was yesterday, and my wife gave me (among other things) the last of the Marvel DVD-Roms I needed for the whole set. The collection is a helluva nice jump on a silver/bronze age comic collection, if you don't mind not having the actual physical book (I'd love to have the comics themselves, but c'mon, that'll never happen due to $$$ and space constraints). Now I can read most of my favorite key Marvels without ever opening a bag & board.

It's a poor decision on Marvel's part to discontinue these!
Old 01-23-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so you got the house of M and the civil war series?

i just popped them into my mac to check 'em out.

is there a list somewere that shows what order to read these sets.

nothing on there that i can see for order, just each book listed together.
Old 01-23-08, 10:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
The collection is a helluva nice jump on a silver/bronze age comic collection, if you don't mind not having the actual physical book (I'd love to have the comics themselves, but c'mon, that'll never happen due to $$$ and space constraints).
It's a poor decision on Marvel's part to discontinue these!
Good points. I was leaning towards skipping these and waiting for affordable reprints, possibly even the black and white ones. But the more I think about it, I want them all in color, so maybe I'll start picking these up.

I'm hoping for clearance type pricing somewhere at some point.
Old 01-23-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok never mind.
i just noticed there is a list of reading order in there.
Old 01-26-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know they aren't comics but many o the people reading this thread like magazines on DVD-rom and may not read my post in DVD Bargains: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523583

The Complete Rolling Stone Collection and Playboy the 50's Collection are both clearanced out at Barnes & Noble for $25 a piece. That is online as well as in store.

By the way, I ordered my copy of House of M and Civil War from Tales of Wonder yesterday. I was on GIT Corp. website and the staff there advised that they will be very limited in number and they are down to only about 100 copies left of each in their warehouse and once they were gone, that is it.

I still wish Marvel would agree to let them release the Thor and Daredevil sets. They were supposed to be release this year and it appears that they were already scanned and done but Marvel said no and cancelled their release completely. I really was looking forward to the Daredevil set.

In other news, GIT Corp has the rights to release some Archie collections which they are working on right now so we should see them soon.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-26-08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-27-08, 08:47 PM

Thanks to this thread in particular, I just ordered Civil War and the Ultimate X-Men set. I've been interested in getting into Civil War for awhile and now this makes it extremely possible. I already owned the first two Ultimate X-Men TPBs and I liked it, so for only $8.99 I got me 70 issues. Great value for everything and I'd love to buy more, particularly Iron Man and X-Men. Is the X-Men set just Uncanny X-Men or does it include spin-off series' too? Anyone have any idea how limited the older sets will be in the next few months? I don't have the money for them now but I'd like to buy them eventually.
Old 01-27-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SteveOVig
Is the X-Men set just Uncanny X-Men or does it include spin-off series' too? Anyone have any idea how limited the older sets will be in the next few months? I don't have the money for them now but I'd like to buy them eventually.
It is just the Uncanny X-men. No spin-offs unfortunately.

As far as limited, I have no idea how many have been printed and are out there in circulation but supposedly GIT Corp had to quit manufacturing any of the discs at the end of 2007. My guess is you will see some for the next few months and then you won't see them at all.

I personally never saw these in any B&M unless BB was having a special where it was on sale with a DVD (i.e. Spider-man disc along with the dvd) but their stock was always very limited and I never saw them after that. The only places I have bought them online was Amazon and Tales of Wonder. My suggestion is to buy one from Amazon and then check your gold box every day after that. They put all of them in my gold box after I bought one and I gradually bought the rest of the ones I didn't have thru them at the best price I had seen. (around $32 for most).

I was actually going thru my sets today and checking them out and man they are really nice. Hopefully we will see some more in the future even though Marvel has pulled out for now.
Old 01-30-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i just saw Hulk and Ghost rider in my box.
re ceived amazing yesterday.

thiese are very good.
too bad at least 2 things are missing that are essential to amazing.
the rest of the kravens last hunt books and the john byrne retelling mini series.
Old 01-30-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Trust me, the John Byrne mini is not essential at all. It stunk and has been ignored continuity wise.
Old 01-30-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i know that.
i have it and read it.

and i like it.

it did kick off a new direction for the series that starts from no-were without that byrne series.
Old 05-27-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some new info on the comics on dvd-rom front from git-corp.

Supposedly this was released on 5-18-2008 but no one has it yet. The site confirms they have them manufactured but unknown when it will actually be for sale at places like Amazon, Tales of Wonder, etc.

Archie Bronze Age Series: http://www.gitcorp.com/product.asp?specific=112
[quote]Revisit and relive your favorite Archie comic books from the Bronze Age. A total of 97 complete comic books covering a span from February 1970 through December 1979, including annuals, all articles, and every single advertisement.
MSRP: $19.99
Release Date:
May 18, 2008
UPC Code: 79114900152
ISBN: 978-1-934377-16-1

Other announced upcoming releases are:

Jughead- DVD-ROM
August, 2008 msrp -$19.99

Betty and Veronica - DVD-ROM
September, 2008 msrp -$19.99

Star Trek - the complete collection- DVD-ROM
late 2008

Star Trek - TOS - DVD-ROM
early 2009
Old 05-27-08, 08:20 PM
Banned

Now, if only they would release Famous Monsters Of Filmland's entire run on DVD-ROM, I could die a happy man.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.