Old 06-06-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Travis Morgan info:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...threadid=35323
Old 06-06-05, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Oh good -- it's written by Bruce Jones: the man you hire when you don't want your title character to actually have anything whatsoever to do with the book. And sure enough, when you read his high-concpet for the series, it focuses on Travis Morgan's fiancee. Seriously, I was going to write a parody plot outline, but you can't get any better than that.

He's also got a healthy dose of contempt for the original material, which seems par for the course for a DC revamp. Seriously, I have a feeling that if I met Dan DiDio at a con and told him I was a fan of any pre-Crisis DC stuff -- not the "high concept," as reimagined by today's hot writer, but the actual honest-to-God stuff that was published in 1968 or 1974 or 1982 or whenever -- I have a feeling that if I told that to Dan DiDio, he's have Geoff Johns and Judd Winnick hold me down so he could take a dump on my head.

So anyway, thanks but no thanks, DC. If you want my money, feel free to reprint the classic Warlord stuff. But there's no way you'll get me to read this crap.

Last edited by JasonF; 06-06-05 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, after all this Warlord talk, I'm a bit hesitant about throwing my money at the book already. Might have to wait and see what it's like. Maybe they'll have 3 variant covers.
Old 06-06-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This whole crisis crap is really beginning to suck for people who want to stay out of it and still read DCU books.
Well, once All Stars comes out, you can stick to that. The whole DCU will be wrapped up in Crisis though. So you aren't going to get much love on that side.
Old 06-06-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Well, once All Stars comes out, you can stick to that. The whole DCU will be wrapped up in Crisis though. So you aren't going to get much love on that side.

I'm curious as to what "DC books" he reads where he would be bothered by this. It may not be this way, but it really reads like the guy just bashes popular stuff for the sake of doing so. I find it very hard to believe that anyone who is a Batman, Flash, or JLA fan would not be buying the Crisis books, since they impact those characters so much, so I'm assuming he is not reading those. And aside from those 3 & Teen Titans, Crisis has not affected any other books, at least not in the capacity to deter a regular reader of that title from buying it or ruining that books main story. And trust me, I read every single DC book on the stands except Robin. So I really don't get what he is complaining about.
Old 06-06-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I must agree with that. Robin is currently shit story and beyond hard to even understand with scotts awful art now a days. I loved his run when he was doing the whole Steph as robin arc, but lately it's a jigsaw puzzle to even understand what is going on.

As for the other DC books. You have seven soilders and then the crisis stuff. It's hard to not be interested in atleast one of those. Especially when all the books are written by about 4-5 different writers. It creates a larger interlocking timeline that works well and reads excellent. You don't have to buy them all and you will still understand what is going on. That's the beauty of the books right now.
Old 06-06-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I read every single DC book on the stands except Robin.
Old 06-06-05, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Here's some news coming out of DC that makes me very happy -- they are starting a reprint line called DC SHOWCASE PRESENTS, which will be similar to Marvel's ESSENTIALS line -- 500-or-so page collections of sequential runs in black and white on newsprint. They've announced 5 titles to start, to debut in September through December: Superman, Green Lantern (both in September), Jonah Hex (October), JLA (November), and Metamorpho (December). The SHOWCASE line will reportedely focus on Silver Age books (the Superman book is starting with the same issue that the Silver Age Superman Archive started with, and the GL in question is Hal Jordan). That said, I always thought of Jonah Hex as Bronze Age, so it's clear they are using a flexible definition of "Silver Age." They'll be priced at $16.99 each.

As a huge fan of the ESSENTIALS line, I'm really looking forward to this. I also wonder if this is an early indicaton that we'll be seeing a new Metamorpho series.
Old 06-06-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I must agree with that. Robin is currently shit story and beyond hard to even understand with scotts awful art now a days. I loved his run when he was doing the whole Steph as robin arc, but lately it's a jigsaw puzzle to even understand what is going on.
Amen. Granted, I wasn't too fond of Sienkiewicz's New Mutants storyline when it first came out, but this art is way too fucking messy.

On another note....does anyone here "collect" the "cover art" that Marvel/DC has at their site? If not, is there anywhere that collects 'em? I suppose I could visit once a month or something and sit here and click the link, "right click, save as", but that'd get tiresome after a while..
Old 06-06-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a bit worried about how Infinite Crisis will impact Manhunter (great book), but the Identity Crisis "crossover" was pretty low-key. I don't read Seven Soldiers and I'm not following IC (tho I did read Omac Project #1 and the "Rogue War" arc in Flash).
Old 06-06-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Amen. Granted, I wasn't too fond of Sienkiewicz's New Mutants storyline when it first came out, but this art is way too fucking messy.
I don't read Robin b/c he is my least favorite DC charcater (along w/ Martian Manhunter), so it doesn't matter who the creative team is I'll never read the book (well, unless it was Alan Moore & Frank Quitely which I know would never happen). But I LOVE Sienkiewicz's art I didn't know he was on Robin.
Old 06-06-05, 04:37 PM
Suspended

I don't know ... if you're reading all the rest, you might as well take the time to read RObin, just so you can say you read them all.
Old 06-06-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I don't know ... if you're reading all the rest, you might as well take the time to read RObin, just so you can say you read them all.
Well, I forgot about Firestorm I don't read that either, I read the first 6 issues & was bored with it.

There are few books/characters that I will never read no matter what. Robin, Spider-man, Punisher. I would never buy any of their comics no matter who is one them & the only way I would even read them is if the creative team was Moore & Quitely, which I can say b/c I know it would never happen
Old 06-06-05, 05:32 PM
Suspended

Well, I forgot about Firestorm I don't read that either, I read the first 6 issues & was bored with it.

There are few books/characters that I will never read no matter what. Robin, Spider-man, Punisher. I would never buy any of their comics no matter who is one them & the only way I would even read them is if the creative team was Moore & Quitely, which I can say b/c I know it would never happen
Well, considering that you work in a comic book store, "books I would never read" has to be a different list from "books I would never buy."

No Spider-Man whatsoever? Man, I think the first 50 or so issues of Spider-Man are some of the best superhero comics ever. Lee, Ditko, and Romita. It doesn't get better than that.
Old 06-06-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, considering that you work in a comic book store, "books I would never read" has to be a different list from "books I would never buy."

No Spider-Man whatsoever? Man, I think the first 50 or so issues of Spider-Man are some of the best superhero comics ever. Lee, Ditko, and Romita. It doesn't get better than that.
Oh yeah, I don't buy every DC book except those two, I just read them all. When I post my lists for the week, that is what I actually keep/buy.

Nope, never read a Spider-man comic in my entire life. My least favorite character of all time, I have an intense hatred for him. I know it sounds crazy.
Old 06-06-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid Death
I'm a bit worried about how Infinite Crisis will impact Manhunter (great book), but the Identity Crisis "crossover" was pretty low-key. I don't read Seven Soldiers and I'm not following IC (tho I did read Omac Project #1 and the "Rogue War" arc in Flash).

I agree. I love the current Manhunter series but the IC stuff...well I don't know.
Old 06-06-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

That's too bad. Firestorm has always been one of my favorite heroes so this new book was a real treat for me. Granted, it started slow for me as well but I stuck with it. I think reading the issues all at once instead of one by one helps. Anyway, another issue that hits closer to home started bothering me more than the shakey start. That being how every Black superhero has to have a fucked up Ghetto lives before they became heroes. I mean come on, is this the only way comic writers see blacks? Maybe this was ok back in the 70's when they got brave and started adding Black heroes but not today. It's tired. Not all of us grew up in fucked up homes with shady aquaintences. Why can't they have a balck heroe who was just a regular guy doing his thing who was in the right place at the right time?
Old 06-06-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, I don't buy every DC book except those two, I just read them all. When I post my lists for the week, that is what I actually keep/buy.

Nope, never read a Spider-man comic in my entire life. My least favorite character of all time, I have an intense hatred for him. I know it sounds crazy.
How can you say you hate Spider-Man if you've never read one of his books?
Old 06-06-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by James W. Powell
How can you say you hate Spider-Man if you've never read one of his books?
Easy, I read comic books. Namely a lot of Marvel comics. Why do I need to read one of his own titles to hate the character? The character has probably been in literally hundreds of comics I've been getting since I was a little kid. From X-Force to the Avengers & now at it's worse as a member of the Avengers & he has annoyes the hell out of me every time he pops up in a comic I regularly get.
Old 06-06-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Easy, I read comic books. Namely a lot of Marvel comics. Why do I need to read one of his own titles to hate the character? The character has probably been in literally hundreds of comics I've been getting since I was a little kid. From X-Force to the Avengers & now at it's worse as a member of the Avengers & he has annoyes the hell out of me every time he pops up in a comic I regularly get.
Hahaha. I hear ya barkin', big dawg.

Anyone want to guess who's taking over Daredevil after Bendis? I'm hoping it's Brubaker/Lark.
Old 06-06-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't read Robin b/c he is my least favorite DC charcater (along w/ Martian Manhunter), so it doesn't matter who the creative team is I'll never read the book (well, unless it was Alan Moore & Frank Quitely which I know would never happen). But I LOVE Sienkiewicz's art I didn't know he was on Robin.
Ah. Well, I agree with you about Siekiewicz NOW, but didn't back when he was on tNM. Also, he never did Robin, I just couldn't think of another abstract-y type of artist...
Old 06-07-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
Back on comic talk...anyone have any theories for who the traitor in Ultimates 2 is?
Just read the issue last night and my money is on Iron Man. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the "shocking twist" and it ends up being Captain America.

On a side note: I really wish politics could be kept out of comics.
Old 06-07-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some news coming out of DC that makes me very happy -- they are starting a reprint line called DC SHOWCASE PRESENTS, which will be similar to Marvel's ESSENTIALS line -- 500-or-so page collections of sequential runs in black and white on newsprint. They've announced 5 titles to start, to debut in September through December: Superman, Green Lantern (both in September), Jonah Hex (October), JLA (November), and Metamorpho (December).
Cool news Here's hoping all of them have a 50% discount at dcbservice.
Old 06-07-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
On a side note: I really wish politics could be kept out of comics.
Yeah, it's why I will NEVER contribute a sale to a book that Judd Winnick or Mark Millar write. They just use comics as a platform to spew their ideology & beliefs. I know it doesn't bother most people as they are two of the most popular writers today (which is sad b/c they are 2 of the most unoriginal hacks in the business), but it bothers me.

I can only tolerate politics in comics if it is a book like Ex Machina where the entire comics is about politics.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-07-05 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-07-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
So I'll bite... what happened to Ray Palmer/Atom, and why is he not in the DC universe anymore?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.