Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Talk for June

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLU's problem is that it's developing a lot of continuity with it's stories, but not a lot of continuity with it's characters.

And JL seasons 1-3 were GOD AWFUL. Seriously, Superman driving around in a post-apocalyptic world in a caddy? Even the finale was shitty. "The solution to every problem is...hit it till it drops!"
Old 06-03-05, 10:42 AM

Not sure if this is exactly in the right thread, but...

...does anyone happen to know anything about another reprinting of the Squadron Supreme trade? I keep hearing that it's gonna be reprinted (a 4th printing?) but nobody seems to know exactly when, and ever since I picked up 5 or 6 of the original miniseries issues for like a quarter apiece at my local shop, I've been dying to read the whole story.
Old 06-03-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by James W. Powell
I've been meaning to pick that one up. I've heard it's good, but to be honest, I'm always a little hesitant about funny comics. They don't usually do it for me. But Seaguy...that might be the ticket.
Glad you finally read We3. Quietly is my all-time favorite artist, & Morrison is my favorite working writer along w/ Brubaker so naturally I thought it was amazing. I just wish Vineranama would rap up already.

Seaguy is every bit as good as & it is definitely not a "humor" book. It's Grant Morrison humor. Plus Cameron Stewart is one of the most underrated artists in the business.

Don't be hesitant of funny books though, some of the best comics being published are humor books. There is nothing on the stands better than The Goon & this week Superfuckers came out which is a brilliant indy book by the always amazing James Kochalka that is wonderfully insane.
Old 06-03-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, The Goon rules, you got that right. You know, while you certainly read more than I do, it never ceases to amaze me that your taste is so similar to mine.

But serious, holy sh!t. The opening sequence to WE3 blew me away. I was so absolutely into that book from the first page. Great tension and drama and mystery. Then it opened into this spectacular read. Man oh man.
Old 06-03-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone feel like posting a synopsis for all these Crisis miniseries? I'm only reading the Rann/Thanager War because I wasn't expecting them to be any good, and I didn't want to be suckered into buying all these extra books each month.
Old 06-03-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know this belongs in the trade exchange, but I wanted to offer it to someone here first. My local shop had the Transmetropolitan: Year Of The Bastard TPB for $4.00 (It's the third trade. Issues 13-28 + Vertigo Winter Special.) It's brand new, but was on clearance. (He puts new trades and toys on a clearance table every week. Nothing wrong with them. He just has extra in stock and is trying to make more room.) I picked it up, not realizing that I already had it.
If anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $7.00. (That's $4.00 for the book + the cost of media mail shipping with delivery confirmation and a large bubble mailer.)

He almost always has something great at a low price every week. I've picked up some DC Direct figues for $4.00 and trades at up to 75% off. (This week he had the second Transmetropolitan TPB for $4.00, the hardcover of Batman: Broken City for $10.00, and a hardcover of the early issues of Stan Lee's X-Men for $10.00)

If there's any interest, I can post these here each week and pick them up for others, charging only the price I pay + shipping and handling. (Not looking to make any money here. Just trying to help out others and my local comic shop at the same time.)
Old 06-03-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamblor187
Anyone feel like posting a synopsis for all these Crisis miniseries? I'm only reading the Rann/Thanager War because I wasn't expecting them to be any good, and I didn't want to be suckered into buying all these extra books each month.

http://www.dccomics.com and go to "Crisis Counseling" for weekly updates of tie in Titles. I don't know if you can go back to previous weeks though.

Just so you know it -does- have spoilers.
Old 06-03-05, 06:37 PM

I already have the transmetropolitan trade, but it would be great to have you post the deals each weak, sort of a hot deals post for the Book Forum! Whoo-hoo!
Old 06-03-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back on comic talk...anyone have any theories for who the traitor in Ultimates 2 is?
Old 06-03-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by vinhj
I've really liked the New X-Men: Academy X series. Even though it looked like a chance to cash in a little more on the x-gene, I thought the first issue of the Hellions mini-series was well-written too. It definitely humanized some of the characters that were turning into a bunch of Draco Malfoy clones in the main series.
I also have really enjoyed this book. I always call it a guilty pleasure b/c it sounds so unoriginal, yet another X-book about young mutants, but it is actually a very refreshing read if you are an X-fan. It's kind of one long foward progressing story about young mutants in school, not just 5-6 part arc one after another to fit in trades & the book has great characterization, something the X-books haven't had in years.

But, that brings me to he reason of this post. DeFilippis and Weir have just been announced as leaving the title, which I'm pretty sure will start the decline of the book. They've been they main reason the book has been so good, they've really given each character their own voice & personality.

And I also really liked the first issue of Hellions.
Old 06-03-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Just a reminder

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
SATURDAY JUNE 4th

Meet
GEOFF JOHNS!!

JOIN US AS WE CELEBRATE THE RELEASE

OF
GREEN LANTERN #1!

Earth-2 Comics

15017 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
818-386-9590
www.earth2comics.com
(2 blocks east of the Galleria/Sepulveda/101-405)
As Johns is currently my favorite writer, I'll be there.
Old 06-03-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Oh yeah, in other news. Once Crisis is over next year, all the dc books, as speculated earlier, will be doing the time warp and jumping one year in time. So drastic changes will occur, but this leads me to believe that Crisis will really just be put in order to start th clock back and make all the books time line be the same. It'll be interesting to see the changes of one year later and see them go into what happened in that years time to lead into those events.
Old 06-04-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Batman/Superman = changed the artist on me. Story and art sucks

Walking Dead = Good and keeps getting better.
Old 06-05-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jackskeleton no understand what you talking about in Bizarro/batzarro storyline.

Me think it really funny and subtle attack on Marvel team is hardly noticeable at all. no?
Old 06-05-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm doing some serious catching up on my comics this weekend....

WALKING DEAD — This shiz is great stuff. I read the entire series yesterday and I'm very impressed. The first time I read the first 6 issues, I wasn't so sure, but the story just keeps getting better. I wish that a few more issues went by without someone getting killed or something terribly bad happening, though. Still, can't wait to see where this thing is going.

SLEEPER — I'm actually sad this series is ending. It's been one of the best, most consistent books on the stands. The ending wrapped up perfectly if you ask me. About as happy an ending this series deserves.

EX MACHINA — Who knew that a political thriller could be enjoyable in comic form? This stuff's great.

Oh, and in other news, DC announced that there will be a return of THE WARLORD. Oh yeah!
Old 06-05-05, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Oh, and in other news, DC announced that there will be a return of THE WARLORD. Oh yeah!
No Grell = No Sale.

OK, I'll give it a look-see even without Grell. But what I'd really like to see is reprints of the classic Grell stuff.
Old 06-05-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bart Sears is pencilling it which means a guarantied "no buy" in my book. I know he has a fan base, but IMO he draws some of the ugliest art in the history of comics.

The best news to come out of WW Philly this week for me is that they consider my favorite DC book, Gotham Central to be an important Batman comic & have long term plans for the title. I was very worried about it being cancelled once Rucka/Brubaker were done with it.
Old 06-05-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
The best news to come out of WW Philly this week for me is that they consider my favorite DC book, Gotham Central to be an important Batman comic & have long term plans for the title. I was very worried about it being cancelled once Rucka/Brubaker were done with it.
When or with what issue are they leaving the book and, more importantly, has the new creative team been announced?
Old 06-05-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
No Grell = No Sale.

OK, I'll give it a look-see even without Grell. But what I'd really like to see is reprints of the classic Grell stuff.
No doubt.

I bet they do it now that the new series is in the works.
Old 06-05-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm doing some serious catching up on my comics this weekend....

WALKING DEAD — This shiz is great stuff. I read the entire series yesterday and I'm very impressed. The first time I read the first 6 issues, I wasn't so sure, but the story just keeps getting better. I wish that a few more issues went by without someone getting killed or something terribly bad happening, though. Still, can't wait to see where this thing is going.
glad to hear you liked this. i kinda flipped through vol. 2 of this today and thought it looked pretty decent and was thinking about picking it up. any word on if there is a possible hardcover?
Old 06-05-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No hardcover news yet. I doubt we will see any potential hardcover till 2006

there's a lot of news from Wizard World....

* Didio is aware that the fans feel that Batman's being written as a complete asshole lately. He wouldn't say if it's going to change. He did mention later on that whenever Robin is sent away from Batman -- like, say, if he's sent off to Bludhaven -- Batman historically gets darker and less human.
* Dick Grayson was the favorite Robin of all three panel members.
* Why doesn't Batman view Stephanie's death as a great failure the way he does Jason's? Because she didn't die as a Robin. He didn't think she could hack it, he had fired her, she was acting against his orders. It's a tragedy, but it's not like she died while she was under his protection like Jason did. By the way, this question caused a fairly uncomfortable silence before it was answered. I don't think they like being reminded of Steph.
* Oracle will definitely not walk again. This made me sad, but others applauded, so I guess I'm in the minority.
* They refused to confirm that the Red Hood really is Jason Todd. They kept saying "well, if it IS really Jason", which is odd to me in light of Winick's Newsarama interview where he confirmed it.
* Jason is "probably not pleased about having been dead".
* Gotham Knights will continue to be the Batman's Rogues book. The issue of just who Hush really is will be addressed.
* Joker is a part of Infinite Crisis.
* Regarding Harvey Dent, post-Hush: Harvey is "fixed, but we all know he's gonna get broken again at some point." They're just waiting for the right time and story to break him again.
* Bruce Wayne hasn't been seen enough lately. Expect a bit more time out of the cowl.
* Ray Palmer is gone from the DCU. He's not coming back any time soon.
* Gotham Central isn't getting cancelled, they're committed to it.
* Zero Hour's retcon took hold, apparently: Batman does not know who killed his parents. Didio and the other two panelists disagreed as to whether or not Batman should ever find him. Didio said yes, the other two no.
* You pronounce Ra's Al Ghoul's name "Rahz", with the short a, not "Rayz" like they did on the cartoon.
* Death and the Maidens is in continuity. Nyssa will show up again.
Old 06-06-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Interesting stuff.
Old 06-06-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Batman/Superman = changed the artist on me. Story and art sucks

Walking Dead = Good and keeps getting better.
Batman Superman needs better consistency between stories although all the artists have been excellent thus far. Mike "Splash Page" Turner has really improved.

The Walking Dead is just "OK" for me now. I read it in trades to keep the flow better. Issue to issue there are just way too many cliffhangers, and I can't stand it if it keeps happening month to month. I must know what happens!

This whole crisis crap is really beginning to suck for people who want to stay out of it and still read DCU books.
Old 06-06-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
glad to hear you liked this. i kinda flipped through vol. 2 of this today and thought it looked pretty decent and was thinking about picking it up. any word on if there is a possible hardcover?
You know, a hardcover would be great, especially if they added in some extras. In case you didn't notice, but Kirkman has said that he won't produce reprints of the covers in the collected versions....he wants the monthly readers to have the sole access to covers.

You know, I think a lot of publishers are learning the wrong habits by watching DVD studios who double-dip on the DVDs. A book sells? Let's make a trade. Does the trade sell? Let's make a hardcover.

That blows.
Old 06-06-05, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Bart Sears is pencilling it which means a guarantied "no buy" in my book. I know he has a fan base, but IMO he draws some of the ugliest art in the history of comics.
This is probably a pass for me, unless he's being inked by a heavy-handed Walt Simonson or something. I bought Captain America & the Falcoln because Priest's writing is just that good, but short of Priest -- or Gaiman or Moore -- writing Warlord, this one's going to be a pass for me.

Still, here's hoping for reprints of the classic stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.