Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What Comics are you reading? [June]

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone's interested, the next pbr book club title is WATCHMEN. Discussion starts on July 1st. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this ground-breaking book, so if you get a chance, swing by next week.
Old 06-21-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by xmiyux
Dear sweet mercy! Do you venture into the other forum much? If you do i think you will see you are by far not the only conservative on the board.
Off topic, but I totally agree. I love this board, but its posters have a very conservative leaning as I find anytime the topic gets off of DVDs. (Michael Moore threads, anyone?)
Old 06-21-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by xmiyux
Dear sweet mercy! Do you venture into the other forum much? If you do i think you will see you are by far not the only conservative on the board.
No, I never do. They scare me there. I stay away from any thread that get's political, but the few times I've let my right wing views slip out, I got flamed to death by the libs here.

To stay on topics. Make sure all of you that didn't get on board w/ the monthlies pick up Sleeper: Vol. 2 the second trade this week. Also, Goon & Hellboy team up in the greatest comic book team-up of all-time in The Goon #7.
Old 06-21-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the "It's About Friggin' Time" Department, J. Michael Staczynski has posted on a Bablon 5 usenet group that the scripts for the final three issues of "Rising Stars" have been turned in. We should see the first one in October.
Old 06-22-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I have to admit I gave up on "Rising Stars" some time ago -- it just seems like a rough draft for what he's doing much better (and with infinitely better art) in "Supreme Power."
Old 06-25-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who've ordered from dcbservice.com: how do they handle pre-orders? The Bone mega-tpb is less than $20, Invincible tpb #3 is $7.xx and Sleeper tpb #2 is cheap too. Shipping is $5.95 whether it's one or three items.

I take it I'll be waiting until the final pre-order is released before I see a shipment?
Old 06-26-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I'd guess if it was going to be one shipment, it'd be in August when all the items were in stock, otherwise they'd charge you a shipping fee for each item shipped if you didn't want to wait for the last item that was released in August.

BTW, that's a killer deal on the Bone TPB, I'll be pre-ordering that for sure since I sort of gave up collecting the regular issues about, oh, 40 issues ago.
Old 06-26-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heypatman if you have any of Bone 1-10 1st printings, and were looking to get rid of them I'd be interested in paying or trading for them.

I read the following titles last night at work.

H-e-r-o 1-4
Capes 1
Ezra 1
Witching (DC)

Hero 1-4 was amazing it was a four issue story about a guy on the verge of suicide who got the Hero device and failed baddly at being a hero. If the rest of the issues are on par with these, then this series is a MUST READ!

Capes 1 was written by Robert Kirkman, as was pretty damn funny. It was about a superhero agency called Capes Incorperated. And Follows Bolt an established hero, as he takes around a new hero recruit on his first day. The issue feels like a mixture of cops and the office with superheros. I think it was worth the 3.50 price tag. And as an added bonus it had a preview of the Walking Dead which will probably give some value to this issue.

Witching 1 is a new Vertigo Title, this issue was more of a setup and introducing the characters. Nothing much really happened, but I enjoyed how the issue was written and I liked the art. I'll keep reading.

Ezra 1 is by arcana press, the same people that release the excellent Ant series. This is there second series that they have released, and it falls flat in my opinion. The art is great, but the dialogue is tacky and seems out of place with the setting of the story. I'll give it one more issue, and if the dialogue doesn't show significant signs of improvement, I'll be done with it.
Old 06-26-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you enjoyed the first arc of HERO, then definitely continue the series. I've read up to (almost) the current issue, and while there's a few bumps here and there, the series is great on a fairly consistent basis.
Old 06-26-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, I wish I knew where I stashed my early Bones... I think I only have first printings starting with #5 or #6, but I think I do have a few later printings/issues with Jeff Smith autographs on them.
Old 06-27-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if you find them and want to get rid of them let me know, I'd be interested in all of them except for nine which I have.

I just read the arrowsmith mini series, and what a great read it was. I'd give it four stars. It is about a boy who goes off to fight in WW I only though in his world magic is in abundent use.
Old 06-28-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I did find my Bones, while looking for something else, but I got them all signed by Jeff Smith up to 12 or 13 I think, so I doubt I'll be parting with them anytime soon. I was also surprised to find out that I had up to issue 26 in my collection! Even though I'm getting the huge 1300-page TPB, I may try to complete the individual issues run if I find them cheap enough at conventions.

I'm convinced that completing runs of a comic series is a disease.
Old 06-28-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh my god. Collecting in general is a disease. I can't tell you how hard it is to stop buying a book in the middle of a story arc. And completing runs? Hell, I'm trying to finish my Star Wars run just because I'm so close.
Old 06-29-04, 11:26 AM

I can't believe BONE is really over. I've been reading that since I was in high school for chrissakes!

Was anybody else underwhelmed by the ending? Perhaps it was because there's so long between each issue that I tend to forget a lot of what is going on by the time each new one comes out but... I dunno, it just seemed like an abrubt ending that didn't have a lot of closure.

What did you guys think?
Old 06-30-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anything to recommend for the last day of June?

As much as I used to like Bryne in my (much) younger years, he's been coasting lately. Is Doom Patrol any good?
Old 06-30-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sleeper man, Sleeper. Season one was the best damn series I've ever read (granted, I haven't read tons of books, but hey, it still kicks butt).
Old 06-30-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed the first arc of Ult Fantastic Four.

Anybody read a image book called Feather? I picked up the 1st issue and enjoyed it. I loved the art in it.
Old 06-30-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by James W. Powell
Sleeper man, Sleeper. Season one was the best damn series I've ever read (granted, I haven't read tons of books, but hey, it still kicks butt).
I bought the first tpb and am working my way through it right now. The second tpb and issue one of Season two will get me caught up then?
Old 06-30-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chew
I bought the first tpb and am working my way through it right now. The second tpb and issue one of Season two will get me caught up then?
Well, yes, kinda.

Point Blank, a five issue mini, leads up to Sleeper and has the backstory regarding what happened with Lynch. There's also a five page preview of Sleeper Season 2 in Co'op DeTat <sp> #1, which may or may not be from Sleeper: S2 #1 (I haven't read it yet). Regardless, some of the key players from Sleeper star in the main story.
Old 06-30-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Liquid Death
Well, yes, kinda.

Point Blank, a five issue mini, leads up to Sleeper and has the backstory regarding what happened with Lynch. There's also a five page preview of Sleeper Season 2 in Co'op DeTat <sp> #1, which may or may not be from Sleeper: S2 #1 (I haven't read it yet). Regardless, some of the key players from Sleeper star in the main story.
Thanks

Looks like I have a few more backissues to seek out.
Old 06-30-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read POINT BLANK after I read SLEEPER SEASON ONE and I think it read better that way. Knowing what's happened since the action of PB made it kinda cool.

As for the Coup de Tat story, it's a nice little read, but the issue isn't worth the $3 or whatever.

Is anyone else here have a strong need to buy comics in NM condition? I read all of my books at least once and more often 2-3 times, but I buy them in NM condition, handle with care, and put them in mylar bags with boards. Now, I'm learning to grade comics so I can see just how mint my NM comic is.

Am I insane?
Old 06-30-04, 02:21 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if this has been posted before, but milehigh has been posting full previews for various Marvel comics for a bit now. Some of them can be hard to read, but I always enjoy the opportunity to sample different comics.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/

Also, today newsarama posted the first 23 pages of Avengers 500:

http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Marve...engers5001.htm