Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What Comics are you reading? [June]

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by James W. Powell
I'm a sucker for X books. I have no idea why. I don't always like the books, but I always think the next one will be the one that reminds me of the X books I loved as a kid.

Did anyone read IT'S A BIRD? Amazing stuff. Simply amazing.
Really?

I'm kind of tired of Superman deconstruction, but I was curious about this and put off by the price. Have you read Superman: Secret Identity? If so, how did it compare?
Old 06-13-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't read Superman: Secret Identity. However, it should be noted that It's a Bird isn't really a Superman book. It's a semi-autobiographical look at the writer, S. Seagle, as he struggles with his personal battle with a disease in his family while he tries to determine if he's capable of writing a Superman book.
Old 06-13-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an early review up at Broken Frontier of a new comic that should be MANDATORY reading for all of you guys here. It comes out this Wednesday, an absolutely phenomenal comic. Click on the link below. . .

My review at Broken Frontier

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-13-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the review! Vaughan is doing some great work on "Y-The Last Man" and "Runaways", and Harris is one of my favorite artists. I'm really looking forward to this one.
Old 06-13-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a huge fan of "Y" and "Runaways," I've been looking forward to this since it was announced. Glad to hear it has delievered (and then some).
Old 06-13-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was all over this book before I even knew what it was about. Brain K. Vahn = gold as far as I'm concerened. Though I am sad to admit that I haven't read any of the Runaways yet, but getting all of the back issues of Y took Prioirity
Old 06-14-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to Ex Machina. Once I saw the writer and read the premise: I knew it was one I wanted to check out.
Old 06-14-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im going to have to stop coming in this thread because my comic subscription list is already too long thanks to you guys and now it looks like Im going to have to add one more. My wife is going to just be so thrilled.
Old 06-14-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got an email from Mr. Tony Harris himself, saying Brian K. Vaughan & him both loved my review. Sorry, had to pat myself on the back

This book is going to sell out for sure, glad to see so many of you guys psyched for this new series.
Old 06-15-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ordered it from dcbservice.com for 75% off ($.62 or so), so I'll have to wait till the end of the month to read it, but I'm looking forward to it
Old 06-15-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, would ya'll mind doing me a favor? We've been working on a new weekly column over at paperbackreader.com. It's called "Jump on the Bandwagon" and we basically get together to write about what comics coming out each week are good jumping on points for new readers.

I'd love to have your comments and suggestions if you have any.

Click here and then click on the text near Mary Jane on the left side of the screen.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well thanks for recommending Ex Machina, I picked it up and loved it. So I decided to go and pick up some back issues of the Runaways, and Im hooked on that now too.
Old 06-16-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My store sold out of EX MACHINA by the time I got there. I've now learned my lesson about pre-ordering books.
Old 06-17-04, 12:22 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was so disappointed with Ex Machina. The ending was so hyped up. Somebody actually said that it was better than the Y endings. That's insane. It's not even a twist or a cliffhanger or even a surprise. It should almost be expected that that would happen when you have superheroes even if it's just one superhero.

I really hated his first superhero act too. It was so pointless and dumb. The very beginning is such a generic beginning too. I felt he overused the whole nonlinear thing. None of the little facts he threw in were interesting. The liberal slant was annoying. Some of the art was pretty good even though I'm not much of a Tony Harris fan.

On the other hand, Runaways was great this week. That actually had a great twist ending and I'm sure it'll lead to another twist next issue.
Spoiler:
Even though I didn't really know who the traitor was, when Chase gave Alex his gear, I thought that might not be such a good idea.
Old 06-17-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well Ex Machina was sold out at my local shop but they are trying to snag me a copy so i haven't read that one yet. I picked up the newest issue of Runaways which i have been a big fan of anyways but holy crap this one hooked me. Major suprise that i honestly never would have guessed. So, make sure you don't accidentally look at the last page of the comic before reading it because it would give it all away.

I also picked up the Astonishing Xmen and Mary Jane which i'll get to read probably tomorrow.

Finally i got an older comic that i somehow missed before - Batman: Room Full of Strangers by Scott Morse. It's just a one-shot with some beautiful art. Everything is kind of done in these pastels and in a somewhat cubist style. Really neat book.
Old 06-17-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nny
I was so disappointed with Ex Machina. The ending was so hyped up. Somebody actually said that it was better than the Y endings. That's insane. It's not even a twist or a cliffhanger or even a surprise. It should almost be expected that that would happen when you have superheroes even if it's just one superhero.
I'm very sorry you coudln't enjoy such a truly great comic. I don't know what on earth you read or heard that hyped up the ending, hell, I run a comic book store, nobody is drenched in more comic book news & gossip then my, & I saw/heard very little, if any hype for the ending. From what you wrote, you just seem to miss the point, or not understand the comic. You complain it's not a "twist or cliffhanger or surprise" at the end, but it's not suppose to be at all.

I really hated his first superhero act too. It was so pointless and dumb. The very beginning is such a generic beginning too. I felt he overused the whole nonlinear thing. None of the little facts he threw in were interesting. The liberal slant was annoying.
Sounds to me like you were just geared up to hate this book. The first superhero act definitely had a point to the character of Mitchell. You like "Y the last MAn" which is LOADED with liberal slants yet you found the slant here annoying Which there really was no liberal slant, the book can be interpreted to take jabs at liberals as much as the right wing, from conversing with the writer himself, I can assure you his intentions are to rib both parties & not in a direct manner.
Old 06-17-04, 10:24 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a lot of people online praising Ex Machina and I think every single person except you was raving about the ending. As far as the liberal slant, it was the least of my problems, but it was still there and just added to the annoyance of the rest of the issue. I have noticed it some in Y, but I guess since EM is dealing with politics, there's more of it.

As for his first superhero act, I shouldn't have said it was pointless. I guess I felt that it was pointless to show something so incredibly stupid to get across a very simple point.

I don't know why I would want to hate this book. Vaughan's my second favorite writer right now. Although, I guess most of the stuff I've read from him besides Y and Runaways has disappointed me, but there's a bunch of his work that I haven't read yet too.
Old 06-17-04, 11:46 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just thinking about it and I have to say I would've liked the end to Ex Machina if it hadn't been hyped up. I guess it's my own fault for getting my expectations too high, but imo Y has had some of the best endings I've seen in any medium ever and the EM ending didn't even compare. The EM ending was much more low-key whereas Y often has big shockers that could potentially really affect the main characters.

Maybe I would've liked the whole thing if I hadn't gotten my expectations too high. I like the overall feel of it and I think it might end up being really good, but I feel the dialogue and many of the details were done poorly. Some of it reminded me of West Wing and I feel that West Wing did a much better job of it.
Old 06-18-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read Issue#7 of Invincible last night. Didn't see that coming. Really enjoying this series so far

Can anyone confirm the issues contained in the third tpb? And it's release date? I want to add the monthly to my list, but don't want the overlap.
Old 06-18-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Invincible Vol 3 was solicited to contain 5 issues, 9-13. I think its due in August.
Old 06-18-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just picked up Ultimate X-Men 47, Ultimate SpiderMan 61, and Ultimate Fantastic Four 7. All great issues IMO, especially UFF. I'm loving the new artwork by Stuart Immonen, and the writing is much much better than the lackluster(albeit brief)run by Millar and Bendis. I look forward to seeing what else Warren Ellis intends to do with the book for the time being.
Old 06-18-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Liquid Death
Invincible Vol 3 was solicited to contain 5 issues, 9-13. I think its due in August.
Thanks

Midtown is usually pretty good about back-issues, but they don't have 9, 10, 11.
Old 06-18-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nny
I saw a lot of people online praising Ex Machina and I think every single person except you was raving about the ending. As far as the liberal slant, it was the least of my problems, but it was still there and just added to the annoyance of the rest of the issue. I have noticed it some in Y, but I guess since EM is dealing with politics, there's more of it.
Well, let me say I'm very glad to see the liberal slant bother you, b/c I thought I was the only coservative at DVDTalk. And any time their is a liberal slant in comics it will almost always get me to drop the book instantly. However, there really is not much of a liberal agenda in Ex Machina, I think you are reading into it a lot, he makes jabs at the left wing in the first issue just as he does at the right. And from chatting w/ Vaughan through emails, I can assue that from the man himself, he has NO liberal agendas w/ this comic.

I was just thinking about it and I have to say I would've liked the end to Ex Machina if it hadn't been hyped up. I guess it's my own fault for getting my expectations too high, but imo Y has had some of the best endings I've seen in any medium ever and the EM ending didn't even compare. The EM ending was much more low-key whereas Y often has big shockers that could potentially really affect the main characters
This is like saying I thought Unbreakable sucked b/c it didn't have a big twist like The Sixth Sense. The ending of EM wasn't suppose to be a big shock. It just seems like you got yourself psyched out of liking EM b/c you were expecting the same type of book as Y. And I can never understand why people read reviews after reviews of comics. If you know you like Vaughan, which you do, then it seems like a no brainer you would check out his new series. Why read review after review talking about how amazing an ending to an issue is.

If you don't like EM, it's cool, I just don't understanding your reasoning & from someone you says they like Vaughan, I really can't understand why you woulnd't like EM.
Old 06-18-04, 03:07 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really read reviews that much. I usually skim the 4th rail reviews and they both gave EM 10/10 which is pretty rare. I also saw people on forums giving EM one sentence reviews something like, "I loved it and it and the last page was amazing." I guess I was more interested in reviews of EM than normal because when a new series with a lot of potential starts, I try to decide if I'll pick it up immediately or wait and buy back issues or tpbs later if it continues to get good reviews. I don't have a job, so I try to not spend too much on comics, so I can't decide if I want to continue buying EM monthly or not.
Old 06-18-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sessa17
Well, let me say I'm very glad to see the liberal slant bother you, b/c I thought I was the only coservative at DVDTalk. And any time their is a liberal slant in comics it will almost always get me to drop the book instantly.
Dear sweet mercy! Do you venture into the other forum much? If you do i think you will see you are by far not the only conservative on the board.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.