Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading? 2021

Just finished:

Old 07-18-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 231 Likes on 168 Posts

Just finished:

This was good, but it seemed a bit overinflated for the story that was told. I enjoyed it overall, but the first eighty or so pages were kind of a slog.

Up next:

I haven't read this since I bought it right after the movie came out. It should be perfect reading for the last remnants of summer before school cranks up again.
Old 07-19-21, 09:33 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Continuing with my 70s horror paperback binge.

Old 07-19-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Finished

This was excellent. It was a free book with Prime. Set in WW2 from the perspectives of two different Prussian families, from the start of the war through them fleeing the Russians as refugees. Great read.
Old 07-21-21, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished:

Been meaning to get to this one for years, but always seemed to get bumped. This was great, and is up there with Alive as the best real life adventure/survival book that I have read. I think I am going to go straight into Lost City of Z, which is another one that has been shelved for a while.
Old 07-22-21, 09:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 840 Posts

Finished Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It was the audiobook version, narrated by Jennifer Jason Leigh.
I enjoyed it, especially getting more insight into the Cliff stuntman character. For those who liked the movie, this is a good alternative.
Old 07-23-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just started:

Old 07-24-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

"Frankly, We Did Win This Election": The Inside Story of How Trump Lost by Michael C. Bender - Okay, the book has a couple of interesting anecdotes, but there's also a lot of bullshit in this book, as in, people appearing to cover their asses, and the author totally buys into it. Like William Barr (who is currently trying to rehabilitate his image, and may release his own book soon), who did nothing but help this completely corrupt administration continue to do more and more corrupt things, tries to appear as though he was some sort of "hero" for preventing further damage to the country and the presidency. Sorry, dude, all you did was act as Trump's bitch and do his bidding (oh, and by the way, when he was going through his joke of a confirmation hearing, and several Dems were like, "Well, he seems alright", maybe they need to do a little more background and realize that Trump appointees will basically say anything to get confirmed, because they know full well the Dems lack the balls to actually hold them accountable). Barr is a complete hack and a joke and it's just ridiculous that he's not currently standing trial. And the author even soft-pedals people like Ivanka Trump, who is truly an entitled idiot (her husband, Jared, much, much moreso). He is harsh on Hope Hicks, which is refreshing, because she is an absolute idiot that really only appeared to get her position so close to Trump because of her charisma (or, as per Trump's logic, she "looked hot"; and who could argue with that logic when appointing key members to the White House Staff...but, oh, she was just "an advisor", so it's okay). Seriously, the book presents a relatively honest view of Trump's staffers, but it just sugarcoats and glosses over way too many key points that all I can say is that the author wanted his name in the press for a few little juicy tidbits he revealed, and the rest of the book is kinda "meh." Heard it all before, and better written. And soon enough Barr, and s**t-for-brains Hope Hicks, and dumber than a log Kellyanne are going to release books "exonerating" them from Trump's stupid, stupid actions. Just tell the truth. Tell it like it is. This author, I feel, wants to somewhat appear in the "left column", but just couldn't help himself because he just had to compromise in terms of getting so-called "insider info". So he let certain people off the hook. Sorry, but I'm very disappointed in this book, and wish networks like CNN hadn't quoted from it so much, as they really left out a lot of the actual context of the reporting...
Old 07-25-21, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished:

Ive read and enjoyed previous books of his, but this was very meh. Its a short breezy read so I finished it, but completely mediocre.
Old 07-25-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goonies85
"Frankly, We Did Win This Election": The Inside Story of How Trump Lost by Michael C. Bender - Okay, the book has a couple of interesting anecdotes, but there's also a lot of bullshit in this book, as in, people appearing to cover their asses, and the author totally buys into it. Like William Barr (who is currently trying to rehabilitate his image, and may release his own book soon), who did nothing but help this completely corrupt administration continue to do more and more corrupt things, tries to appear as though he was some sort of "hero" for preventing further damage to the country and the presidency. Sorry, dude, all you did was act as Trump's bitch and do his bidding (oh, and by the way, when he was going through his joke of a confirmation hearing, and several Dems were like, "Well, he seems alright", maybe they need to do a little more background and realize that Trump appointees will basically say anything to get confirmed, because they know full well the Dems lack the balls to actually hold them accountable). Barr is a complete hack and a joke and it's just ridiculous that he's not currently standing trial. And the author even soft-pedals people like Ivanka Trump, who is truly an entitled idiot (her husband, Jared, much, much moreso). He is harsh on Hope Hicks, which is refreshing, because she is an absolute idiot that really only appeared to get her position so close to Trump because of her charisma (or, as per Trump's logic, she "looked hot"; and who could argue with that logic when appointing key members to the White House Staff...but, oh, she was just "an advisor", so it's okay). Seriously, the book presents a relatively honest view of Trump's staffers, but it just sugarcoats and glosses over way too many key points that all I can say is that the author wanted his name in the press for a few little juicy tidbits he revealed, and the rest of the book is kinda "meh." Heard it all before, and better written. And soon enough Barr, and s**t-for-brains Hope Hicks, and dumber than a log Kellyanne are going to release books "exonerating" them from Trump's stupid, stupid actions. Just tell the truth. Tell it like it is. This author, I feel, wants to somewhat appear in the "left column", but just couldn't help himself because he just had to compromise in terms of getting so-called "insider info". So he let certain people off the hook. Sorry, but I'm very disappointed in this book, and wish networks like CNN hadn't quoted from it so much, as they really left out a lot of the actual context of the reporting...
I'll just add that if you've read quotes from this book on networks like CNN and MSNBA and Salon and whatnot, then you've pretty much gotten all you need from this book. Most of the rest is just filler and not really necessary...The book really didn't deserve the hype it got, and you'd be better off sticking with the other ones that came out recently...
Old 07-26-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just started:
Old 07-26-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,472 Likes on 936 Posts

Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner - Dr. Judy Melinek

A doctor's describes her first year as a medical examiner in Manhattan. She loves her work, and tells some stories of interesting cases and interesting people. Her first case is working with a smart, hardworking detective who's thrilled to get good evidence from the body. They aren't all that good, but she has a sunny, cheerful disposition. When she's been in training for five months and she's getting a handle on things, terrorists flew jets into the Twin Towers. They sorted out thousands of bodies in a month, and then life as an ME went on.

It's kind of like James Herriot, but with dead humans instead of sick animals. It was excellent material to listen to while driving long distances.
Old 07-27-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Just started:
This looks good. Let us know what you thought after finishing.

I finished:

I thought this was an excellent trilogy. Everything was built up and developed wonderfully. Even though this tells a very complete story (in the three books) there seems like a lot more that can be done with this world. Like something set in another part of the world, maybe focusing on the horror of the killer trees and flowers (which, despite the covers, was more of a side issue in this story). I should certainly get around to the other MR Carey books I haven't read (The Boy on the Bridge and Someone Like You), having already liked this trilogy, The Girl with all the Gifts, and Fellside.
The following users liked this post:
Pointyskull (07-27-21)
Old 07-28-21, 08:54 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Just started:

How is this? I picked it up given the hype. Every summer I typically get a new hardcover - usually mystery/thriller - that generates buzz. This is the one I chose this year.
Old 07-28-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Geofferson
How is this? I picked it up given the hype. Every summer I typically get a new hardcover - usually mystery/thriller - that generates buzz. This is the one I chose this year.
I picked it up for the same reason - the big buzz. I dig a good thriller, and the premise sounded interesting.
It reads fast, with short, punchy chapters spread across a couple of story arcs.

Kudos to Newman for starting the action up right away, though by the end some elements are really a bit silly. Though to be honest: it held my interest enough to read it in one sitting on a really hot day while I lounged on the couch in the A/C with my dog lying next to me.

The book was what I would call 'dumb fun'. I fully expect to see this on Netflix within the year.
Old 07-29-21, 06:25 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 07-29-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished

Old 07-30-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 231 Likes on 168 Posts

Just finished:

This was my second time to read Fast Times, but it had been over 35 years since I last read it. The movie stuck remarkably close to the novel, but then again, Cameron Crowe wrote the screenplay for the movie.

Up next:

Old 07-30-21, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished

Old 08-01-21, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thematahara
Finished
That's a great f**king book. And, surprisingly, the movie adaptation was actually pretty damn good...Loved the thing...
Old 08-02-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, it'll be a while until I post again here ... just started this monster!

Over 1500 pages on the Kindle Despite reading a couple of online summaries of the previous books, it's still taking me some time to get back up to speed with everyone and everything. Supposedly there's only one more book after this to wrap up the big story. And unlike other fantasy authors, Sanderson is good about delivering on what he says. Before this I did read the "Book 3.5" novella:

Like he did with Edgedancer before Book 3 (Oathbreaker) came out, this is a nice mostly self-contained story set in the Stormlight Archive world that gives previously secondary characters a chance to shine and tells a little more about how the world works.
Old 08-05-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished

Old 08-05-21, 08:17 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 08-05-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just started:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.