Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I like the look of the first one a little bit more but the MoKo seems to have more and better reviews. If I don't here anything diferent I'll be ordering it tonight (as soon as I can find $13 more to order for free shipping.
1. I have the A-Case for the basic Kindle. It is a little thicker than the Amazon case, but it works well. It has two pockets for the corners at the bottom and two bands that are stitched at the top left and right. The Kindle doesn't move, I have dropped it a few times and it keeps it safe. The little magnetic clip keeps it closed when it isn't in use. When I am reading I fold the little magnet back to clip to the other side which keeps the cover from flopping around. That was one of the reasons I chose the A-Case.

I recommend it for the price.

2. Save up a little and get prime, that way you don't have to keep moving up to $25.
Old 01-12-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
2. Save up a little and get prime, that way you don't have to keep moving up to $25.
prime also lets you borrow a book a month or something like that
Old 01-13-12, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Does anyone put skins on their Kindles? A friend of mine had one on his IPOD and said it was shit peeled off pretty quick. Is this the same case with the Kindle skins? I noticed Amazon has most of them unavailable. What's a good site to buy them from?
I've used decal girl and their skins are good and there's a big variety to choose from. It was the first time I've put a skin on anything, but I managed it. The skin shows no sign of peeling and it's at least 6 months old. I do keep my kindle in a case, so that does protect it.

One thing they don't advertise is that they will print custom skins. I asked about it and they sent me a photoshop template into which I put my own picture. I emailed it back to them and my custom skin turned out great.

They probably have templates for other programs. I doubt you have to have photoshop.
Old 01-13-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I am so happy with my Kindle Touch. I love it, love it, love it. One day I might actually even buy a book off of the Kindle store
Old 01-14-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my cover last night for the Kindle Touch. It was the Moko. I'm very happy with it. The only bad reviews seemed to be about it's smell. I don't notice anything. Very nice for $12.
Old 01-20-12, 05:19 PM
Cool New Member

Man, I am so happy with my Kindle Touch. I love it, love it, love it. One day I might actually even buy a book off of the Kindle store
Hahahahaha! I downloaded the Kindle app because of all the books that Amazon would rotate through their free offerings. So I check out the freebies daily for the books that interest me (many thanks to the eagle eyed folks over at Mobileread). One of these days I'll be able to get a proper e-reader, though the special offer Kindles are mighty tempting.
Old 01-20-12, 05:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I got my cover last night for the Kindle Touch. It was the Moko. I'm very happy with it. The only bad reviews seemed to be about it's smell. I don't notice anything. Very nice for $12.
I also ended up with a Moko for my daughter. Very nice cover, especially at that price.
Old 02-15-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My newest acquisition is the Limitless novelization "Dark Fields" for my Kindle. That movie makes me happy, but kept hearing that the novel was way darker than the film. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-15-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got a Nook Simple Touch recently. Has anyone applied a screen protector to the screen? If so, which one do you recommend?
Old 03-23-12, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Basic Kindle or Kindle Fire? The Fire has me intrigued because I can read comics on it, but I'm wondering how pleasant it is to read standard text.
Old 03-23-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Basic Kindle or Kindle Fire? The Fire has me intrigued because I can read comics on it, but I'm wondering how pleasant it is to read standard text.
I got a Kindle Touch this week (and loving it so far) for the prolonged reading reason. Between work and home I stare at a regular screen too much as it is and figured I'd give my eyes a break for books. I'd like to get a tablet - mainly to get back into comics - but am going to wait and see what the next generation of the Kindle Fire offers.

I've been wading into the waters of free ebooks in the Kindle store and, I know it's unfair, but boy have I been doing a lot of cover judging.
Old 03-27-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Potter finally

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000777521

Harry Potter Kindle books are now available on Kindle! All seven books in the series can be purchased at J.K. Rowling's Pottermore Shop, a third-party site. Clicking on "Buy at Pottermore" will take you to Pottermore Shop, where you will need to create a separate account. Like all Kindle books, books purchased from Pottermore are "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" and will be delivered to your Kindle or free Kindle reading apps.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/harr...ooks/379003495
Old 03-27-12, 03:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Harry Potter broke the Kindle Store.
Old 03-27-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some people I've talked to don't see a market since everyone's read and owns the books, but I'm sure there are tons of people who'd like to have all of them on their device or phone wherever they go.
Old 03-27-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them all in paperback or hardcover, and I spent $57.xx today without blinking an eye for the complete Kindle bundle.
Old 03-29-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just posted in tech talk (I know it's not an eink device but still...):

Originally Posted by Trevor
Well, today's Amazon Deal of the Day is a refurbished Fire for $139.
Old 03-29-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Got a Nook Simple Touch recently. Has anyone applied a screen protector to the screen? If so, which one do you recommend?
A bit of a late answer, but e-ink devices don't really need a screen protector since they aren't shiny and scratchable glass like most tablets.

Get a case of some sort for it and you'll be fine.
Old 04-11-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I was conversing with my mother yesterday about how the cost of e-books is getting out of hand. Raising the prices of older books to the 9.99 price point has become standard now for most of the major publishers. The same price as the (ugh) "tall" paperbacks that are replacing the pocket sized ones. It's pretty maddening to see these prices skyrocket for something that is essentially 1's and 0's and not something that has to be crafted (physically, not the actual art of writing the thing). So it did put a smile on my face just now to see this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17681137 It almost made me stand up a cheer.
Old 04-14-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just ran across an ad for this. Interesting concept.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...eature-146179/

Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch Now Offers GlowLight Feature

By: Michelle Maisto
2012-04-13

Barnes & Noble’s newest Nook e-reader is “amazing in bed,” the company said in an April 12 statement, introducing the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, the world’s “first and only” E Ink Reader that lets users read in the dark. The backlit display, more tablet-like than traditional e-reader, can be activated with the push of a button. (The e-reader’s only button.)

“With a soft, adjustable glow, GlowLight gives bedtime readers just the right amount of light for reading, without disturbing a sleepy spouse,” according to a company statement.

The Simple Touch, B&N added, “eliminates the number-one problem couples have in bed,” the issue of one person trying to sleep while the other person reads. Citing a B&N survey of 1,358 adults, people found someone else using a light to read in bed more disruptive than “a frisky partner’s ‘midnight moves.’”

Let’s stick to the facts. The Simple Touch weighs less than seven ounces, has built-in WiFi and a battery that lasts through a month of reading on a single charge, even given that new light. It also has a 6-inch touchscreen—with a touch, users can turn pages, look up works or change the font size. They can also shop from the Nook and download more than 2.5 million books, magazines and newspapers.

The Nook’s GlowLight also makes it as good for outdoor use—where women are particularly inclined to read, according to its survey—as in low-light conditions.

As of April 12, the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, priced at $139, became available for pre-order, with B&N promising it’ll arrive in time for Mother’s Day (May 13).

The day before, B&N’s stock price tumbled 6.4 percent, for a total of 17 percent for the month already, the Wall Street Journal reported. The cause was the Department of Justice’s lawsuit against Apple and five major U.S. book publishers, who the DOJ accused of colluding to keep e-book prices high.

Another way to look at the accusation: they were teaming up keep Amazon from keeping prices overly low. If the DOJ suit enables Amazon to again have greater control of e-book prices, B&N profits may suffer.

“If Amazon wants to be aggressive in pricing e-books and losing money, it will impact Nook’s profitability in the near term,” a Janney Montgomery Scott analyst told the Journal, which additionally cited analyst expectations that B&N will post a $62 million operating loss during its fiscal year ending April 28.

In launching its suit—which now only includes Apple and publishers Macmillan and Penguin, following immediate settlements by Simon & Schuster, Hachette and HarperCollins—the DOJ say it sought to help booksellers like B&N.

“If approved by the court, this settlement would resolve the Department’s antitrust concerns with [Apple and the publishers] and would require them to grant retailers—such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble—the freedom to reduce the prices of their e-book titles,” U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in an April 11 statement, preceding a press conference on the suit.

Apple, Macmillan and Penguin have since defended their actions, with Apple calling the price-fixing accusations “simply not true” and the publishers defending Apple’s pricing model as essential to keeping competition alive amongst booksellers.
Old 04-14-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was a leak last week that Amazon had a new e-ink device coming out that was going to have some sort of built in light technology that wouldn't shine outward like an LCD screen but would do something like this.

It definitely piqued my interest.

I didn't buy a Fire and I didn't get a Touch. I'm still using the keyboard version with 3G. If a new keyboard 3G with a glow light comes out I will upgrade in a heartbeat.
Old 04-15-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw the Nook ad today and it has me intrigued. The one thing I'm not a fan of on my Kindle is the pull out light in the expensive cover. I'd probably pick up a new one if i can get an e-reader with a built in light.
Old 04-15-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$40 for the glow upgrade is too much, IMO.
Old 04-16-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
$40 for the glow upgrade is too much, IMO.
That is less than the lighted cover for my Kindle and about the same I paid for my wife's Kindle keyboard cover.
Old 04-16-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but this still needs a cover. You can add a light or upgrade a cover to a lighted version for $20 or less.

I guess it depends on what angle you approach this from because ebook reader accessories are so over priced, yet the devices are cheap. From the accessory side, paying $40 for a slick, well integrated light seems OK. But, taken as a device, they are increasing the cost 40% for this one feature.
Old 04-16-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love my 3G Kindle Keyboard.

I currently have it in the 60$ lighted case. If I had the option of buying a version with light built into the Kindle itself and then carrying it in a less expensive/non-leather/more customizable case I would in a heartbeat. Having the light in the Kindle itself rather than popping out of the case would also make it easier for tub reading.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.