Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Anyone upgraded from the Keyboard to the Touch who would do it again in a hearbeat? Is it THAT much lighter and smaller? How's the battery life if you leave it on all the time?
Old 06-10-12, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Anyone upgraded from the Keyboard to the Touch who would do it again in a hearbeat? Is it THAT much lighter and smaller? How's the battery life if you leave it on all the time?
I just went from Keyboard to Touch and I was iffy about it at first, but now that I've been using it I LOVE the Touch! It just feels like the perfect form factor. I have it in the official Amazon leather case, and it the combo is perfect, it snaps right in. I think the Touch is barely lighter than the Keyboard, in the case, I think it's a smidge heavier. But I definitely notice the size benefit with losing the keyboard part that I never used. The battery life seems a bit better than it was on the Keyboard, but I haven't had it long enough to get a definitive feel for that yet.
Old 06-23-12, 08:32 PM

I picked up a Kindle (e-ink) refurb for $49 and it has proven to be a good investment. Since it's not backlit, you can only read it in available light, which has yet to prove to be an issue for me. I like that it is wireless, too. Amazon also sells a nice leather case for it with a fold out LED light, but it costs as much as the reader did, so I've held off on getting that. Overall, would definitely buy again
Old 06-27-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Doubt we'll see one but I'd like to see a Kindle or other e-reader with a screen size somewhere between the regular Kindle and the DX. Also, I don't know if it's possible with the e-ink screens or not, but higher resolution would be nice just so text is a bit crisper. Currently have the 3rd gen Kindle and am happy with it other than I wish it was a touch bigger.
Old 08-01-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So I guess the new Kindle's are coming soon? Just got an offer from the Chase Amazon rewards card, 40% off the Kindle or Kindle with Ads, and accessories, up to 100 bucks in savings. Only good, I guess, if you have the Chase card, code is KINDLE40. I have a Fire and an iPad but bought a Kindle with Ads to try it out.
Old 08-03-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course there have been rumors of a new Fire ever since the Nexus 7 details were released. There were rumors after B&N released the Glowlight version that a similar Kindle model would launch in July, but the latest news I read was that they were having manufacturing problems which pushed the device launch back into the fall.
Old 08-10-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Monster Kindle, aka the DX, is $269 as the Gold Box Deal of the Day
Old 08-12-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Got an announcement from B&N about price drops. Not sure if it's a competitive thing or a product-cycle thing.

Nook Color $169 $149
Nook Tablet 8 GB $199 $179
Nook Tablet 16 GB $249 $199
Old 08-12-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone has an Amazon Rewards Visa you can use the promo code Kindle40 to get 40% off the Kindle 4 (normally $80, now $48) and/or a bunch of Kindle accessories for all models.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...=ur2&tag=pm-20

Ends 8/15.

I was half listening to an ep of Tech News Today earlier this week and from the way they were talking it sounded like Amazon was discontinuing the DX. Maybe they were just talking about the deep discounts Amazon is offering on the DX and speculating as to it's meaning.
Old 08-24-12, 03:55 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Amazon has scheduled a press conference for Sept 6th. Hopefully this is the new Kindle announcement.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/23/a...september-6th/
Old 08-31-12, 12:28 PM

Both of the Kindle Touch models went out of stock last week. And now the Kindle Fire is out of stock too.

Looking forward to Sept 6th.
Old 08-31-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will be super excited if I can get a 3G, Kindle Touch, with glow.

Bonus points if it is 150 or less.
Old 08-31-12, 05:18 PM

New rumors from WSJ, Cnet and Verge. Amazon will release an ad-supported tablet. There will be 2 versions of the Kindle Fire. And there's a pic of the new Fire.

Amazon.com Inc. is planning an advertising-supported tablet computer that will be priced lower than similar models, according to people involved in discussions on the device.

The new device would come at a discount to tablets without the advertising subsidy, said the people, though exact pricing wasn't clear. The tablet would display an ad after the user "wakes" the gadget, said one person briefed on the matter. Amazon has discussed how some versions of the new tablet would connect to the Internet only through Wi-Fi networks, said the person briefed on the product.

FULL ARTICLE - http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...TAzODE3Wj.html
Amazon plans to double down on the 7-inch tablet market with two new Kindle Fire models, CNET has learned.

Despite speculation that Amazon was preparing a larger 8.9 or 10-inch version, the company will only unveil a new 7-inch Kindle Fire and a slightly revamped version of the original tablet in an event scheduled for next week, according to a person who has seen the products.

Amazon appears to be making room for a slightly upgraded version of the original Kindle Fire, which includes a new user interface. While the person didn't have any pricing information, the company will almost certainly charge a lower price for the device than the original.

The more exciting product is the new higher-end 7-inch Kindle Fire model, which will feature more hardware improvements, including a faster processor, a camera, physical volume controls, and an HDMI port. It will also have larger storage capacity, but it will still not be expandable. There is no pricing information on the device.

Amazon could also have a larger Kindle Fire in the works, but any such product won't be announced at the event next week.

FULL ARTICLE - http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...-take-on-ipad/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/32...on-kindle-fire
Old 08-31-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have zero interest in a Fire. My school has some and my mother has one and the original was horrible compared to even a first gen iPad. This new one would have to have some significant upgrades to be intriguing.

Now a new e-ink Kindle... that has me salivating since mine has a few years on it now.
Old 08-31-12, 06:03 PM

More rumors. The new Touch will have an improved "Paperwhite" backlit display with longer battery life. The new Fire will have higher resolution, a camera and GPS.

Along with one or more new Kindle Fires, we're expecting refreshed E Ink models in Amazon's e-reader line at the company's Los Angeles event next week as well. One of those appears to be a refreshed Kindle Touch — the button below the display is gone, and the bezel has changed from light to very dark gray. The overall shape of the product and the location of the USB port and power switch appear to be essentially unchanged. From the images we have, it looks like Amazon will be touting the unit with "higher contrast, high resolution, integrated lighting, and eight weeks of battery life," even when using the light. The retail name for this unit is unclear — Amazon could simply call it the Kindle Touch again, but "Paperwhite" might factor in as well.

Speaking of Paperwhite, this seems to be a reference to the unit's improved display over the so-called Pearl E Ink that Amazon has been using since the third-generation Kindle. Many users, though, are likely to be more excited about the backlight — this particular product is almost certainly designed to be the answer to Barnes & Noble's Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight introduced earlier this year.

PHOTO GALLERY - http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/32...rwhite-display
A few details of the Kindle Fire 2 (or Kindle Blaze, or whatever) have already appeared. The most significant is an increase in screen resolution from 1024 x 600 pixels to 1280 x 800. The larger format is already used by other tablets, including Google's similarly-priced Nexus 7.

Last month, DisplayMate president Raymond Soneira told the AllThingsD website that this represented "a 67 percent increase in total pixels, and it is visually significant. It gives the display a PPI (pixels per inch) of 216." This should improve the readability of text, and will also enable the Kindle Fire 2 to show HD (720p) videos.

The Kindle Fire 2 is expected to be thinner and use more metal in its construction. It may also include a camera to support Skype, and a GPS chip to support location. According to a Reuters story published yesterday: "Amazon.com Inc's new Kindle Fire will have mapping services via a tie-up with Nokia Oyj … filling a gap in the tablet's capabilities while snubbing Google Inc's popular service."

The new Kindle Touch is expected to have an illuminated display. This looks like a natural response to Barnes & Noble's launch of the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.zdnet.com/kindle-fire-2-a...-6-7000003585/
Old 08-31-12, 06:07 PM

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...kindle-images/
Old 08-31-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That new Touch is kind of hot. I would love to be able to get it 3G but will settle for wifi. I have been wanting to replace my 3G w/keyboard with a Touch but hated the shiny silver bezel. This will give me an excuse to upgrade and pass my current one to my daughter.

Now I just need some sort of controls to lock her out of the store for now.
Old 09-03-12, 10:59 PM

I'll definitely get the new Touch. If I didn't already have a Fire, I'd probably get the new one. But those rumored upgrades aren't worth buying a 2nd one.
Old 09-04-12, 10:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Kindle with keyboard. I'll upgrade to the Touch with backlighting.
Old 09-05-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I have a Kindle with keyboard. I'll upgrade to the Touch with backlighting.
This is what I was thinking, too.
Old 09-05-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Me, three.
Old 09-05-12, 07:46 PM

Ars Technica, Wired and Cnet will live-blog the event tomorrow at 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...y-september-6/
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ent-live-blog/
http://live.cnet.com/Event/Amazon_press_conference
Old 09-06-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is kind of cool. The Kobo Mini. I was just thinking why they didn't have one of these the other day when I was reading on my iPod Touch. Too bad most to all of my ebooks are Kindle.
Spoiled for size...
Spoiler:
Old 09-06-12, 09:52 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I preordered the $119 Kindle Paperwhite. I love the e-ink Kindles, but I am not a fan of having to be near a lamp to read, so the built in light will be nice to replace my Kindle 2.

The battery life with lighting on is listed at 8 weeks which I find misleading. Kindle is listed 8 weeks at 30 minutes reading per day, why compare to tablets having 10 hour battery. Then tablets should be 3 weeks at 30 minutes per day to compare apples to apples, or 28 hours Kindle vs 10 hour tablet. Just a pet peeve.
Old 09-06-12, 11:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the 8 week estimate is a big strange, but at least they told us straight up what metric they were using (i.e. reading 30 minutes per day with the light at 50%), versus most battery estimates which just give you a raw number and don't discuss the kind of usage that estimate is for.

I also preordered a $119 Paperwhite. I was pretty adamant about not getting one with ads, but I've heard they're not obtrusive, and I do end up paying less, so yeah. I also ordered a blue official case for it, which isn't being delivered until the end of October, even though the Kindle will be delivered at the beginning of October. Not the end of the world, but a slight annoyance.

I'm really looking forward to this Kindle. I love my current one (whatever the last generation of keyboard Kindles was, gen 3?), and the improvements on this one are really attractive. The light being equally dispersed throughout the display is a big deal, and having the light illuminate out from the screen instead of reflecting off the screen will also help increase readability. And the bump in resolution will make reading small fonts so much easier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.