Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Probably a stupid question, but if you own a Nook can you still buy Ebooks through Amazon?

I'm sure they want you to buy a Kindle, but if not, they could at least make money selling books....
Old 09-09-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you cannot. Nook cannot read DRM'd Mobi, which is what the Amazon books are in. Some books are DRM free, but you would still have to convert them with something like Calibre to epub to read them.
Old 09-09-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Received mine last night. So in love with it I could just burst. Thank god I ordered a cover for it as well.

First book ordered and reading: Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
Old 09-09-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.betanews.com/article/Amaz...res/1284050745

Today, Best Buy announced it will be selling the Wi-Fi only 6" Kindle for $139.99 and its 3G-equipped counterpart for $189 in all of its stores this fall. The company says the 9.7" Kindle DX will be available "later in the season."

Even though I just got a refurb Kindle 2 a little over a month ago, this finally gives me a reason to use my 100$ BB gift card lol.
Old 09-10-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm new to the e-book thing. The Kindle 3 arrived Tuesday and worked for half an hour before it went into a cycle of endless resets. Amazon had me leave it plugged into a wall outlet for 24 hours, during which time they tried to push a software update that was supposed to fix the problem. It didn't, so they overnighted me a replacement, but Amazon accidentally shipped it to a random address from my Amazon address book. They sent me another replacement, but it won't ship until Friday, which means I won't get it until next week.

It's frustrating as hell, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Apparently a lot of people are having problems with the Kindle 3, so anyone thinking about ordering one might want to wait a few weeks until they get the problems sorted out.
Old 09-10-10, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Kindle shipped yesterday, it's on the truck to be delivered today, my Decalgirl skin arrived yesterday, and I ordered an Oberon case this morning. After reading on the M-Edge Facebook page that none of their cases were going to be available in leather, I went with Oberon. I am definitely NOT going to be paying $40 for synthetic leather or Amazon's crappy quality leather.

I was reading this morning that the 3.01 update is available to download if it's not on my Kindle already. I think I'll do that before I send any of my books over, and I'll hopefully avoid all the problems that some of you have been having.
Old 09-10-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggestions for case? Considering between the non-lighted Amazon case and getting a Mighty Lite versus just buying the lighted Amazon case.
Old 09-10-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the lighted case. It's not the brightest illumination in the world, but I'm really sensitive to how much light I need while I'm reading. Usually about 3 feet from the sun suffices. Seriously, it's OK for what it is but I'm not quite sure it was worth the extra 20 clams.
Old 09-10-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the Amazon lighted case.

Typically I either read in natural light or complete darkness. In a dark room (like reading in bed at night) the light in the case I think does a great job of illuminating the screen without a glare or being so bright it disturbs my wife. It does drain the battery of the Kindle quicker but I still easily go a few weeks without charging the thing (and that is reading probably 2 hours a day without the light and maybe 30 minutes each night with the light). When I was considering getting a separate battery powered light it seemed like the ones with decent reviews were going to run me at least 20$ so the upgraded case didn't seem that bad.

I have also gotten some bad booklights in the past that didn't hold a charge, were too bright, or simply shorted out on me. Often I would also hate the fact that it was another object to remember to carry. The light built into the case solved that issue for me.
Old 09-12-10, 04:33 PM

My Kindle shipped today! It'll be here on Tuesday. This is my first eReader, and I'm excited to get my hands on it.
Old 09-15-10, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

Got the Kindle Wi Fi a few days ago. Jeez. I can't believe I held out for so long. This is the most awesome thing. I got H.P. Lovecraft's entire library, including collaborations, carefully indexed, for 3.69. Got a bunch of vintage sci fi and horror for next to nothing. I'm in freaking heaven. This is the most awesome thing ever. Still a few books that I want on the Kindle that isn't available but I have more than enough stuff to keep me entertained for months.

Highly recommended.
Old 09-22-10, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I have owned the Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, and I now have the Kindle 3. I never really used the other 3. The Kindle 3 is in my opinion the PERFECT ereader. The text is clear and crisp and beautiful. The battery life is a monster, about a month with wireless off. I charge it about once a week and leave WiFi on and use it A LOT. I'm taking it everywhere with me and reading while in line, waiting rooms, at work, etc.
Old 09-22-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I have owned the Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, and I now have the Kindle 3. I never really used the other 3.
I know who I'm hitting up the next time I need money.
Old 09-22-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have owned the Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, and I now have the Kindle 3. I never really used the other 3.

The Kindle 3 is in my opinion the PERFECT ereader. The text is clear and crisp and beautiful. The battery life is a monster, about a month with wireless off. I charge it about once a week and leave WiFi on and use it A LOT. I'm taking it everywhere with me and reading while in line, waiting rooms, at work, etc.
Agreed. Kindle 3 is my first ebook reader and i absolutely love it. I usually leave it at home though and just pick up in the book on my iPhone if I'm out and about. Awesome tech...
Old 09-22-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just discovered manybooks.net and am floored. The sheer amount of public domain, free & legal downloads is simply staggering. I haven't read this many books at once since college. Rediscovering the classics like Joyce, Thackeray, Poe, Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, while purchasing inexpensive collections of Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft from Amazon.

This is simply the greatest invention since the Tivo.
Old 09-22-10, 12:12 PM

A question from a Kindle newbie... does the thing even need to be put into sleep mode when not reading? If the wireless is off, its not drawing much power anyway. Obviously it would be good when carrying as the buttons would still be working but I don't see the difference between displaying an author image in sleep or the image of the book you're reading. Even if it did use up a little more power, the battery lasts a month anyway so... who cares!?

Last edited by arbogast777; 09-22-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It will auto sleep after a certain timeframe.
Old 09-22-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Asleep or awake, only screen refreshes use power, with wireless off its not using any power until you hit a button
Old 09-22-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Asleep or awake, only screen refreshes use power, with wireless off its not using any power until you hit a button
Unless you've added books to it recently, in which case it continues indexing them even while asleep. If you add a large number of books at once and then leave it set, you'll see a significant power drain when you next pick it up.
Old 09-22-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What does indexing the books do?
Old 09-22-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
What does indexing the books do?
Indexing makes it so the search function works. Every time you add a book it slowly indexes it in the background. If you add hundreds of books at once then it works constantly and hits the battery pretty hard so it is recommended you leave it plugged in overnight.
Old 09-22-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a gadget nerd so I picked up a nook Wi-Fi for super cheap to go along with my Kindle 3 Wi-Fi. I haven't had much time to play with the nook, but I can tell the battery life sucks compared to the Kindle, and the page turns are slower, but not super distracting. Think I will be keeping both, the nook mainly as a library book and epub special reader. But the K3 will still be my main reader and get most of my attention.
Old 09-23-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I have now had my K3 for a month and it still sits in the box because M-Edge has been SO SLOW to release its covers (I wanted one compatible with my book light)

I have, however, used the time to load my K2 with books my wife would like and get her a pink Go! Jacket, so she's getting a pretty nice surprise.
Old 09-29-10, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I know who I'm hitting up the next time I need money.
Well you sell the other ones and just upgrade I actually sold the K1 for the SAME amount of money I had paid a year earlier due to Christmas demand. I wanted the perfect reader and finally found it.

Reading some James Potter fanfic on the Kindle now =)
Old 09-29-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw recently that Best Buy officially had the Kindles in the store, so I went into two today. Sold out at both. Good news for Amazon, bad news for me!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.