Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What are you reading? (December 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Book #53:

Old 12-15-09, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read

Old 12-15-09, 06:58 PM

Old 12-16-09, 02:57 PM
PAG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished:

Old 12-16-09, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-16-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Michael
Old 12-17-09, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by movieking

I think that I am going to try to finish the Bosch series over the next couple of weeks. After this book, there are four left, and there are a couple of other non-Bosch books that I've yet to read from Connelly as well.
Wow, I'm at the same place you are. I'm also trying to read them in the order of being published, so I'm also reading the 1st Mickey Haller book, The Lincoln Lawyer. I just finished The Narrows. It started out very good, but then it seemed to run out of gas, like Connelly was getting bored with it. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, with
Spoiler:
Backus dying so easily. In The Poet, he was much more interesting and a much tougher villain.
I guess that's just because The Poet is my favorite Connelly novel (The Concrete Blond probably being my favorite Bosch novel; either that or the one where he tracks down his mother's killer).

After I'm done with Connelly, I'm going to try that George R. R. Martin series that everyone seems to be talking about (although it never looks like it'll be completed; it looks like the guy is gonna die before he finishes at his current pace). Then I'll try the "Parker" novels by Westlake/Stark. Then perhaps some novels recommended by Stephen King in EW column. I forget what the series is called, its about some retired military guy that hitchhikes across the US and gets in trouble with the law and mob and stuff. Something with a "T," I think. I'm too lazy to go check.

Last edited by HeilHeiser; 12-17-09 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-18-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

The Diamond Master by Jacques Futrelle

Michael
Old 12-18-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeilHeiser
Wow, I'm at the same place you are. I'm also trying to read them in the order of being published, so I'm also reading the 1st Mickey Haller book, The Lincoln Lawyer. I just finished The Narrows. It started out very good, but then it seemed to run out of gas, like Connelly was getting bored with it.

After I'm done with Connelly, I'm going to try that George R. R. Martin series that everyone seems to be talking about (although it never looks like it'll be completed; it looks like the guy is gonna die before he finishes at his current pace). Then I'll try the "Parker" novels by Westlake/Stark. Then perhaps some novels recommended by Stephen King in EW column. I forget what the series is called, its about some retired military guy that hitchhikes across the US and gets in trouble with the law and mob and stuff. Something with a "T," I think. I'm too lazy to go check.
I am not sure when I'll start Lincoln Lawyer, but I'll read it before it intersects with the Bosch series. I read the first Song of Ice And Fire book and enjoyed it, but to continue the series I would like to have more time than I have this time of the year. And I think that the series that you are thinking about are the Reacher series by Lee Child. I read the first one and thought that it was okay, started the second one and put it down because it didn't grab me right away. I'll get back to it probably after the Bosch series...

...which brings me to the latest book that I am ready:
Old 12-18-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funny how several of us are reading Michael Connelly. I'm about halfway through The Lincoln Lawyer and must say it started VERY slowly for me. Only now has it become more interesting.

I've read a handful of Connelly's Bosch books, but it's been at least 4 or 5 years since the last one. Just don't read like I used to -- life.
Old 12-18-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 12-19-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Just finished Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. I'd never read any of his works, and his style of not using punctuation is likely to discourage me from reading more of his any time soon. Up next, I think, will be Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut screenplay. I recently picked up a used copy on the cheap that includes the screenplay and a translation of the original Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler upon which it was based. Having read Dream Story earlier in the year, I'll likely skip reading it a second time unless I get caught back up in it. Then, I'm hoping to finish 2009 by at least starting My Name Escapes Me by Alec Guinness.
Old 12-19-09, 05:37 PM

Pet Semetary by Stephen King

I've been putting off the last 20 or so pages, because I don't want it to end. x]

After that I'm moving onto Christine
Old 12-20-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished Echo Park, and I wasn't thrilled with it. It seemed to be sloppier than the rest of the novels. The pacing was still fantastic, but I found there was far too much foreshadowing, and I didn't like the ending:

Spoiler:
The foreshadowing with the water soaked files from the pawn shop and the copy of the murder book that Bosch made when he retired was so obvious that I knew the case would turn because of both of those things, and I was waiting for it to happen. Also, I didn't like the twist ending with Harry's boss as the big bad. Connelly is so good that he doesn't need to rely on those type of theatrics.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Just finished Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. I'd never read any of his works, and his style of not using punctuation is likely to discourage me from reading more of his any time soon.
I've had this kicking around for a year or so, and since it is the time of the season,that's what I am reading now. As for the writing style, I found that while The Innocent Man was a fascinating story, it was almost incomprehensible because of the way that it was written. I've read all of his legal works and his style didn't jump out to me as particularly negative. The only things that I have left to read will now be A Painted House and Ford County.

Old 12-20-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I gave up on African Game Trails by Theodore Roosevelt. When he's telling a good story, he's simply fascinating. But there were way too many inventory stories of "I shot this at 400 yards. I shot this at 350 yards. I shot and missed this at 300 yards."

Right now I'm reading Martian Time-Slip by Phillip K. Dick. So far I'm liking it a lot. It's very coherent, which is not true of a lot of Dick.

I recently bought Dick Tracy: The Thirties on clearance. The stories are good, but the art is too busy. It's kind of fun watching Chester Gould slowly working his way to the iconic Dick Tracy appearance.
Old 12-20-09, 05:25 PM

I'm reading Christopher Moore's "The Stupidiest Angel;" so far, its great! Just what I needed this itme of year. Thanks Chris!
Old 12-20-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for the writing style, I found that while The Innocent Man was a fascinating story, it was almost incomprehensible because of the way that it was written. I've read all of his legal works and his style didn't jump out to me as particularly negative.
I'm confused; does being almost incomprehensible not jump out as particularly negative? Or are you saying that The Innocent Man was a glaring exception to the rule that Grisham's style is not typically an issue?
Old 12-20-09, 06:09 PM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Just started:

I recently finished Connelly's The Closers -- one of the stronger ones in the series, IMO. I was very impressed.
Old 12-20-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'm confused; does being almost incomprehensible not jump out as particularly negative? Or are you saying that The Innocent Man was a glaring exception to the rule that Grisham's style is not typically an issue?
The Innocent Man was a non-fiction work that is not a part of regular series of legal thrillers. Innocent Man was a difficult read because of the poor writing, while his legal thrillers (fiction) are usually quite easy to read.
Old 12-20-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieking
The Innocent Man was a non-fiction work that is not a part of regular series of legal thrillers. Innocent Man was a difficult read because of the poor writing, while his legal thrillers (fiction) are usually quite easy to read.
Ah. Gotcha.
Old 12-21-09, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally finished Empire Falls. Fantastic novel.

Up next...

Old 12-21-09, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday, I finished Eyes Wide Shut, including Dream Story for the second time this year and then I started My Name Escapes Me by Alec Guinness. Unlike Guinness's first work, which was a true memoir, this is simply a collection of diary entries from 1995 through 1996. It's really more like reading vignettes than even short stories; some entries are a scant paragraph detailing to whom he "gave dinner" the night before. Buried under the name-dropping, though, are some interesting personal thoughts and reflections on myriad subjects.
Old 12-21-09, 06:49 AM
PAG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished:

Old 12-21-09, 01:30 PM

Read

One of the best dog books I've read.
Old 12-21-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.