Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What are you reading? (December 2009)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What are you reading? (December 2009)

Old 12-27-09, 10:01 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

I finally got around to reading L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz for the first time. It's always distracting to have seen a movie adaptation prior to reading the source material, and that was certainly true of this selection for me. There were some structural decisions made that I think really improved the story from Baum's literary work (specifically, expanding the presence of the Wicked Witch of the West). That said, I was struck by how quickly paced his story was--to say nothing of how violent!

If I can knock out another 320 pages by New Year's, I'll have read 10,000 pages in 2009 (exclusive of graphic novels, which account for another 956 pages). I think I'm going to try, but I have my doubts about succeeding. It'd be a neat milestone, and one that I don't think I've ever met before.
Old 12-27-09, 10:51 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by wakwak007
Superdeluxe-
I guess congratulations are in order.
Thanks


Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Its probably going to take you 9 months to read
I like to read ahead, I'm already at month 5 lol.
Old 12-28-09, 01:02 AM
  #103  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Just Finished


Now about halfway through


Up next is
Old 12-28-09, 01:06 AM
  #104  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I finally got around to reading L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz for the first time. It's always distracting to have seen a movie adaptation prior to reading the source material, and that was certainly true of this selection for me. There were some structural decisions made that I think really improved the story from Baum's literary work (specifically, expanding the presence of the Wicked Witch of the West). That said, I was struck by how quickly paced his story was--to say nothing of how violent!

If I can knock out another 320 pages by New Year's, I'll have read 10,000 pages in 2009 (exclusive of graphic novels, which account for another 956 pages). I think I'm going to try, but I have my doubts about succeeding. It'd be a neat milestone, and one that I don't think I've ever met before.
2009 was a big reading year for me. I read all of the Harry Bosch series (Connelly), same with the Derek Strange (Pelecanos) and Myron Bolitar (Coben) series. Also, toss in a number of non-fiction books, a couple of Palahniuk books, two Steve Berry novels, and everything else mixed in, I did quite a bit of reading this past year!
Old 12-28-09, 02:07 AM
  #105  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

I am reading

Hard Case Crime Novels, got a bunch a couple weeks ago plus I am reading


The Art and Science of Digital Compositing

and

Old 12-28-09, 08:14 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
If I can knock out another 320 pages by New Year's, I'll have read 10,000 pages in 2009 (exclusive of graphic novels, which account for another 956 pages). I think I'm going to try, but I have my doubts about succeeding. It'd be a neat milestone, and one that I don't think I've ever met before.
How do you keep track of that? According to my Amazon lists, I am at book 96 now I think. I was thinking about trying for 100, but I am not going to bother. The first part of the year I didn't read as much as the second half, so I am pretty confident that I could do it if I really tried. Instead of starting the book that I am reading now (Boys Will Be Boys), I probably could have read a couple of shorter books (like the Bond books) to get to 100, but decided against it. Plus some of the books were short (for example the JK Rowling one that was only a few pages and the short story "Serial"), but some others were quite large (the first of the Song of Ice And Fire series).
Old 12-28-09, 08:52 AM
  #107  
PAG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Powell, Ohio
Posts: 796
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Just finished:

Old 12-28-09, 01:38 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Want to read this before I see the movie in the next couple of months:

Old 12-28-09, 01:45 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 3,394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by witty alias
What I remember about that book is how often the characters said the other character's names. It seemed like every sentence either started or ended with a name. Have you noticed that?
Regarding "The Dark Tide", I didn't really notice that, but in hindsight I think you're right! I finally finished it last night. I was just glad to get through it by the end.
Old 12-28-09, 09:55 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,570
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by movieking
How do you keep track of that? According to my Amazon lists, I am at book 96 now I think. I was thinking about trying for 100, but I am not going to bother. The first part of the year I didn't read as much as the second half, so I am pretty confident that I could do it if I really tried. Instead of starting the book that I am reading now (Boys Will Be Boys), I probably could have read a couple of shorter books (like the Bond books) to get to 100, but decided against it. Plus some of the books were short (for example the JK Rowling one that was only a few pages and the short story "Serial"), but some others were quite large (the first of the Song of Ice And Fire series).
I am intrigued by this, I wanted to read 1 book per week this year so I read some smaller books so I could get the accomplished, but I like counting pages as well.

You can check on Amazon, each book has how many pages are in it.

It really sucks to see that Amazon only allows you to list 40 books at a time! What are we living in, 1986? Don't they have enough room on their servers to allow us bigger lists?

Book #54:


Last edited by Lateralus; 12-28-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 10:58 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by movieking
How do you keep track of that?
I didn't set out to track this information, so what I've done is this: For books in my library, I simply recorded the final page number. For books I checked out of the library or borrowed from friends, I deferred to online information for the page counts. Sometimes I got this from the library's site; others, Amazon. It's not a perfect system!

For instance, index pages are often included in a page count, whereas forewords are sometimes given roman numerals and excluded. Generally. this is offset by simply starting the first numbered page to account for those preceding pages, but this is all out of my control.

I think you can actually track page counts in Library Thing, but I haven't checked it in a while. Free accounts are restricted to 200 titles, but it's a pretty helpful site.
Old 12-29-09, 12:07 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 3,394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Just started:



This story engaged my interest right away. I couldn't get through Koontz' "The Taking" earlier this year.
Old 12-29-09, 04:58 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sessa17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: NJ, the place where smiles go to die
Posts: 7,393
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

I'm in mid-Kindle of . . .
Old 12-29-09, 11:15 PM
  #114  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,788
Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Just started:



This story engaged my interest right away. I couldn't get through Koontz' "The Taking" earlier this year.
I haven't read Intensity, but I rather enjoyed The Taking. Anyway, Koontz is hit-or-miss with me...mostly a miss with his recent domestic thrillers that I haven't much cared for.
Old 12-29-09, 11:45 PM
  #115  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,788
Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Just started:

Old 12-30-09, 04:00 AM
  #116  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Having recently finished his "White Knight", now starting Jim Butcher's "Small Favour"
Old 12-30-09, 08:03 AM
  #117  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 3,669
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I haven't read Intensity, but I rather enjoyed The Taking. Anyway, Koontz is hit-or-miss with me...mostly a miss with his recent domestic thrillers that I haven't much cared for.
I loved Intensity, it was a thrill ride from start to finish.
Old 12-30-09, 01:39 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I didn't set out to track this information, so what I've done is this: For books in my library, I simply recorded the final page number. For books I checked out of the library or borrowed from friends, I deferred to online information for the page counts. Sometimes I got this from the library's site; others, Amazon. It's not a perfect system!

For instance, index pages are often included in a page count, whereas forewords are sometimes given roman numerals and excluded. Generally. this is offset by simply starting the first numbered page to account for those preceding pages, but this is all out of my control.

I think you can actually track page counts in Library Thing, but I haven't checked it in a while. Free accounts are restricted to 200 titles, but it's a pretty helpful site.
When I get back to work next week, I am going to do a count during the various conference calls that I am on (shhh....don't tell anyone). I'll report my finds in the January thread.

I am off to a very slow start with Lovely Bones, because my wife has stolen my ereader and I didn't get a chance to actually start reading it until a couple of hours ago. I am a little way in, but so far, it's not really grabbing me.
Old 12-30-09, 02:55 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Last night, I finished reading Bubba Ho-Tep, Story by Joe R. Lansdale and Screenplay by Don Coscarelli. I really enjoyed the film and the DVD included a clip of Lansdale reading the beginning of his short story so I set about finding it. Well, it finally showed up at Half Price Books for $6.98 (apparently part of an overstock buy-out of theirs), and I bought it during their 20% off sale. I enjoyed both versions, but I think I preferred the expanded screenplay a bit more. It had less toilet language (to which maybe I've become disinterested on account of having Crohn's disease), but retained a lot of Lansdale's unique phrasing and vivid descriptions.

That brought me to within 161 pages of my 10,000 page goal. I'm becoming doubtful that I'll reach it, but here's hoping!
Old 12-31-09, 10:13 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 1,263
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

Manga
Monster Vol. 2-5 by Naoki Urasawa


Michael
Old 12-31-09, 10:18 PM
  #121  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)


just picked this up from books-a-million about 3 hours ago and im going to start soon

im not a big book reader, i own maybe 6-7 books im more into autobiography type books like this and kevin smiths my boring ass life, however i do read comics
Old 01-01-10, 11:40 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (December 2009)

I failed in my quest to read 10,000 book pages in 2009 (I was 161 pages shy). Of course, the 956 graphic novel pages I read put me over that goal. We'll see how 2010 fares, but having read most everything on my "to-read" list last year and in '08, I don't know that I'll sustain my recent level of reading.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.