**SPOILERS** Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix [open discussion]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

**SPOILERS** Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix [open discussion]

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes thats his problem he really seems to agree with whom ever is incharge and he does this to get himself more power and this will must likely be is downfall as if voltermont offers him more power he will most likely join as he sees it as a way to gain power
Old 07-21-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Doesn't your example tend to contradict your position? I've always rather thought that Percy's problem was simple blind ambition.
Not really when you consider that the Ministry of Magic is the authority, even higher than Headmaster of the school.
Old 07-24-03, 03:29 PM

Well, I just finished the book, and I have to admit I was a little disappointed, especially after all the hype and waiting. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. This book had a lot less action, instead focusing more on character development, which I don’t necessarily think is a bad thing considering this is the 5th book in the series. But I felt she could have trimmed at least 200 pages if she really wanted too, or at least added in more action.

I loved the scenes where Dumbledore says, “Well, it’s just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to – what is the phrase? Come quietly. I am afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius.” Then of course Dumbledore opens up a can of whoopass. God I loved that.

I was a little annoyed with how Harry acted throughout the book. Sure, in this book he was at his boiling point at the same time he was growing pubes, but it still didn’t seem all that believable. I wonder how long we’ll have to wait for the 6th book? All hell has kind of broke loose now, so it’s impossible to think that Harry can ever finish school under normal circumstances. I think the professors should take that into consideration.

The book ends with so much going on, I’d have a hard time believing J.K. isn’t working on the next one right now as we speak. You just know it’s going to be a long one again, so she definitely has her work cut out for her.

Even though I didn’t like this one as much as the third and fourth books, I still enjoyed it and greatly look forward to all the rest. Although I didn’t get any housework done for the two days I was reading it. I don’t think the wife appreciated that one too much.
Old 07-25-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
She's stated that book 6 is already in progress.
Old 07-25-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Book five was in progress for three years. She just got distracted by the movies and by a case of writer's block. Hopefully that won't happen again, but I'd be shocked if the movies didn't interfere again.
Old 07-25-03, 02:44 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sherm42
Not really when you consider that the Ministry of Magic is the authority, even higher than Headmaster of the school.
I can see that. I still think his problem is less a problem in slavish belief in authority, and more one of desire to be a success in his own right. He just sounds more like a ladder-climber than a blind follower to me.
Old 07-25-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
Book five was in progress for three years. She just got distracted by the movies and by a case of writer's block. Hopefully that won't happen again, but I'd be shocked if the movies didn't interfere again.
I don't believe that this is true. She has stated in interviews that the reason why it took three years for book 5 were because she had been working nonstop on the first four books without so much as a week's break in between them. In one case she actually started the next book on the same day she finished one. She expressed how she was exhausted and wanted to step back for a little bit and her publishers gave her all the time she needed. During that time she even started working on a new book unrelated to Harry Potter.

I don't think that the movies had anything to do with it really as she was not that involved.

I think it won't be three years again before book 6 comes. I could see quite a wait before book 7.
Old 07-25-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
She also got married during the writing of book 5. That most likely slowed things down some.
Old 07-25-03, 10:20 PM

I think I also heard her say that book 5 was by far the most difficult to write, mainly due to the subject manner. (Harry going through puberty, and the big death)

That's interesting that she's started on another non-Harry Potter novel. Wonder what that'll be like?
Old 07-26-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Luna Lovegood

Now, what's everyone's opinion on this character?

I've been thinking how she was introduced and how she was so conveniently in tune with Harry on several incidents - the flying animals that only she could see along with Harry.

She must have a larger role in the following books, also, I think that her not being injured in the big battle at the Ministry of Magic was suspicious - or do you think Rowling just threw that in to add a bit of mystery?
Old 07-27-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think her claim to fame and reason of being introduced was simply to get another paper in it. though the ending with her and harry seemed like it was going to lead to something else.
Old 07-27-03, 07:38 AM

My wife and I were discussing who should be cast in the role of Professor Umbridge when/if they get to filming Order of the Phoenix.

My choice: Judi Dench

Holy #$%^, you win the prize! I couldn't possibly think of a better choice.
Old 07-28-03, 10:11 PM

Regarding Harry's anger issues, didn't anyone else get the impression that despite the normal teenage angst, that Harry's anger might be so extreme due to being infulenced by Voldemort? I felt that he was so quick to get angry because of his link with Voldemort. That the dark feelings and thoughts of Voldemort were causing a general feeling of anger in Harry that made it difficult if not impossible to empty his mind of emotions. Just a thought.
I absolutely agree. I don't think that the "teenage angst" angle is enough to explain the mood swings - not to mention that I never felt guilty about being a pain in the butt when I was his age.
Old 07-28-03, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by ricwhite
I really don't know why so many people think Harry and Ginny will become romantically involved. I guess for many it stems from the fact that Ginny had a pre-teen crush on Harry which, by the way, is long over. Ginny has not shown any signs of extreme attaction toward Harry since that time.
I had to go look this up because I thought maybe I imagined it, but on pg. 848 when they are all hanging out in the hospital wing, "Ginny caught Harry's eye and looked away quickly, grinning." I can't decide if this is just in reaction to Luna's ravings or whether this is Ginny turning shy around Harry again before she chooses Dean.

Maybe Dean is the second choice because she doesn't think Harry is interested? It's possible.
Old 07-28-03, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
Also, Lucius Malfoy knew thru Kreacher where Sirius was hiding and that the order of the phoenix was assembling at Grimmauld place. So why did not he tip off Fudge?
I think it's supposed to be the nature of the Secret Keeper thing. If Dumbledore doesn't tell someone directly, it's impossible to find the place. Dumbledore had to send a note telling Harry where the place was, even though he was with a gaggle of people who could have told him.
Old 07-28-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Birrman54
yea she [Linda Hunt] doesn't fit the "frog" description. But she is short, and she could definately pull off the "attitude" that Umbridge had throughout the book.

birrman54
Never underestimate the power of movie-quality makeup. With the proper application of goo and her attitude, she could make an outstanding Umbridge.
Old 08-01-03, 06:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Cho chang is a year older then harry and this will be her last year at hogwarts ( years 3 quiditich match with raven claw states when she is introduce she is a 4 year then)
Which will give jk plenty of time to hook up ginny and harry in year 7 and I think the seeds of it should be set in year 6 and hopefully ron and herminoe.

I just saw pictures from the set of hp and poa and I am horrified. No uniforms for the kids. wrong wrong wrong. they are walking around in muggle clothing at school no way.
Old 08-01-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sabre

I just saw pictures from the set of hp and poa and I am horrified. No uniforms for the kids. wrong wrong wrong. they are walking around in muggle clothing at school no way.
That doesn't sit so well w/ me either. Especially since it's a major contradiction to the books. What makes it worse is that they are dressed in today's "hip" fashions which I think could end up dating the movie. That would be unfortunate since it's an alteration of the original material.
Old 08-05-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Nefarious
That doesn't sit so well w/ me either. Especially since it's a major contradiction to the books. What makes it worse is that they are dressed in today's "hip" fashions which I think could end up dating the movie. That would be unfortunate since it's an alteration of the original material.
And you think that a beat up Ford Anglia doesn't date COS? I for one think it's a nice change from the dreary robes. I'm not much of a fan of the movies anyway, but what I've seen looks leagues more promising than Chris "I have no visual style whatsoever" Columbus's previous adaptations.
Old 08-06-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They wont be wearing normal cloths during regular school hours. those pictures look like the kids are going to hogsmade. it makes sense for them to have a free dress during that time.
Old 08-06-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
They wont be wearing normal cloths during regular school hours. those pictures look like the kids are going to hogsmade. it makes sense for them to have a free dress during that time.
That seems reasonable. I would have to cry if they wore jeans and tshirts or something along those lines during normal school hours. They're proud to wear their robes... and I think a really important part of the ambiance of being at hogwarts.
Old 08-06-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
And you think that a beat up Ford Anglia doesn't date COS? I for one think it's a nice change from the dreary robes. I'm not much of a fan of the movies anyway, but what I've seen looks leagues more promising than Chris "I have no visual style whatsoever" Columbus's previous adaptations.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm a little surprised you don't think the previous movies had visual style. Certainly not something I would have expressed about them. Narrative flow...that's another issue...
Old 08-11-03, 04:10 PM

My boyfriend and I were taking turns reading HP5 out loud for the last few weeks and finished Friday night after a marathon session.

I really missed trying to figure out who the mystery bad guy was, as in the previous books. I loved to hate Delores "hem hem" Umbridge but it is just not the same. Plus like a lot of you, I wanted her flamed! I did get tired of the same froggy metaphor.

It was long. Although I didn't notice that until we were done. And once when I left it on the floor and tripped on it. Perhaps she is worth too much for editors to be honest? I think breaking it down into two books (Book 5: Semester 1 and Book 5: Semester 2) might have eased the wait and brought in more cash. And I'd gladly have paid the extra to lessen the wait

I was surprised Percy wasn't mentioned in the closing chapters. I expected something.

"Lord Thingy" just flat made me laugh out loud

I also enjoyed the removal of Harry's dad as a walk-on-water hero figure and the depth of Ginny's character this book.

Why on earth didn't Dumbledore lift Harry's lifetime ban on Quidditch? His broom is still in the dungeon! Maybe it is a testament to his loss of Sirius that he isn't thinking about it?

-- Jenny
Old 08-14-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure the life time ban and his broom is free. It's just minor info that really isn't needed for the book.
Old 08-14-03, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm sure the life time ban and his broom is free. It's just minor info that really isn't needed for the book.
I thought Harry's love of Quidditch made it important. I just expected him to be reunited with it at the end. You think everything was just sort of un-Umbridged?

Maybe it is just that "stuff" (ie girls, sports) etc is suddenly not your whole life when someone you love has died?

-- Jenny

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.