**SPOILERS** Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix [open discussion]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

**SPOILERS** Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix [open discussion]

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sparrow
I agree, there should be serious consequences for Umbridge's actions - at a minimum a short stay in prison. Her character was detestable.
Yeah.... for attempted use of unforgivible curses.

I'm still hoping for a Harry/Ginny relationship.
Old 07-14-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's not much point in putting her in prison unless they find some new guards. I'd imagine that they won't do much to her, and too much punishment might send her over to Lord Thingy (althought I'd love to see her try her "hem, hem" routine while he's talking).
Old 07-14-03, 10:57 PM

My list of detestable characters - Most nasty to least:

1. Umbridge
2. Kreacher
3. Percy
4. Marietta
5. Fudge

Percy's hatred for Dumbledore took me by surprise though. His malicious glee at Dumbledore getting caught was nasty and offensive. I hope he gets paid in full in the coming novels. Kreacher and Umbridge deserve to be roasted over a slow fire.
Old 07-14-03, 11:05 PM

I think the ministry should give permission to those who fight lord thingy to use "avada kedavra" on their opponents. Otherwise, our heroes are using pen knives (stupefy, impedimenta, petrificus etc) to fight against guns (crucio, avada kedavra).

I also dont get the reason why the death eaters bothered to cast stupefy spells against Harry's team instead of avada kedavra. It was Harry who was not supposed to be kedavra-ed or stupefied because he may drop the prophecy and break it. Malfoy clearly gave instructiions for the others to be kedavra-ed.
Old 07-14-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe not all of the death eaters are strong enough to cast avada kedavra- it may take more hateful power than some of them have and it probably takes more concentration and energy than something like stupify.

I don't think other wizards should be allowed to use avada kedavra- I don't think they should really be punished if they do decide to use it I don't think it's a good idea to encourage its use. Those curses involve a lot of hate and it would be better for the good side to stay away from hate (although torturing Percy sounds like fun).

Hopefully Harry will find a better way to kill lord thingy, I would prefer it if he'd already cast his last unforgivable curse.

I do wonder if Percy will return home- he may have gone too far to go back. I'm sure his parents would take him but I doubt that his siblings would be so understanding. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next book now that the ministry's position has changed.
Old 07-15-03, 04:28 AM

percy will be a good lession on reflecting your mistakes and righting wrongs.

don't auors get special permissions to use unforgivible curses?
Old 07-15-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aurors got that permission the last time from Crouch senior, I'm assuming that permission is no longer valid. It didn't work too well for Barty to be so aggressive so no one else may want to start up that rule again. If there's enough fear going around then I could see it happening, but I don't think it would really be in anyone's best interest.
Old 07-15-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as the unforgivible curses go: I see it (again) kind of like a tie to star wars. The emporer feeds off of the hate the Luke has for him and Darth Vader and it makes him stronger the more Luke hates. In Harry Potter's world, I think the more the (good) guys use the unforgivible curses the closer they are to the 'dark' side. The death eaters were all good guys too, once.

And I imagine we are not through with Percy yet...
Old 07-15-03, 03:09 PM

I always thought that Linda Hunt would be a perfect Umbridge.

This picture isn't that good, but she's the woman all the way on the left.

Old 07-15-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or if you watch The Practice, she plays the semi-recurring role of Judge Hiller.
Old 07-15-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Or if you watch The Practice, she plays the semi-recurring role of Judge Hiller.
is she the principal from Kindergarton Cop?

birrman54
Old 07-15-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Birrman54
is she the principal from Kindergarton Cop?

birrman54
why yes, yes she is....
Old 07-15-03, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by hgar78
why yes, yes she is....
I think she'd make an excellent Umbridge.

birrman54
Old 07-15-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kind of pictured her fatter and taller. It seemed like she had a physically imposing presence, whereas that woman is like 4 feet tall...
Old 07-15-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SiberianLlama
I always thought that Linda Hunt would be a perfect Umbridge.
No way. I like Linda Hunt and just can't see her as Umbridge. I pictured Umbridge as a 5 foot nothing, female, Jabba the Hutt lookalike. Rowling kept describing her as a frog and that is the picture that kept leaping to mind.
Old 07-16-03, 10:39 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I still say Judi Dench.
Old 07-16-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Easy
No way. I like Linda Hunt and just can't see her as Umbridge. I pictured Umbridge as a 5 foot nothing, female, Jabba the Hutt lookalike. Rowling kept describing her as a frog and that is the picture that kept leaping to mind.

Frog...leaping to mind! hahahahahaha
Old 07-16-03, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Easy

yea she doesn't fit the "frog" description. But she is short, and she could definately pull off the "attitude" that Umbridge had throughout the book.

birrman54
Old 07-18-03, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
I didn't mind the lack of Quidditch. Griffindor won the house cup by beating Ravenclaw in the match that Harry and Hermione missed when they went with Hagrid to meet Grawp.
They actually won the Quidditch cup. It was not told who won the house cup.

voyagerbob
Old 07-19-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by hotaru_san
*snip* I'd imagine that they won't do much to her, and too much punishment might send her over to Lord Thingy (althought I'd love to see her try her "hem, hem" routine while he's talking).

That would be hilarious. There were a few instances in this book that were more comedic than I expected, especially the crack from McGonagall to Peeves: "It unscrews the other way", in reference to destroying the chandelier.
Old 07-19-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umbridge would have to be a CGI character - she's just too toadish and I wonder who would take that role - it would have to be an actor with a tremendous amount of self-esteem and self confidence.
Old 07-19-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
*snip*
Percy's hatred for Dumbledore took me by surprise though. His malicious glee at Dumbledore getting caught was nasty and offensive. I hope he gets paid in full in the coming novels. Kreacher and Umbridge deserve to be roasted over a slow fire.
I found this to be suspicious as his newfound attitude towards Dumbledore, his family and Harry has not been explained. I know that he has a tremendous amount of ambition, but that doesn't explain why he has turned into a nasty piece of work.

My take on this is that he is in the Order of the Phoenix and he is playing this anti-Dumbledore role to the hilt. Percy will be a hero by the end of the series.
Old 07-20-03, 01:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I doubt it. Percy is simply of the type of personality that always believes authority. Too much faith in those in charge.

You can see glimpse of his disapproval of how Dumbledore does things in Prisioner of Azkaban. After an attack by Sirius, Dumbledore refuses to let the Dementors into the school to search and Percy seems to seriously disagree with him.
Old 07-20-03, 03:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by Sparrow
Umbridge would have to be a CGI character - she's just too toadish and I wonder who would take that role - it would have to be an actor with a tremendous amount of self-esteem and self confidence.
</small>Well, maybe if Miriam Margolyes hadn't already played a part....

.... and I'm guessing that Imelda Staunton is far too smiley to fit the bill!

Old 07-21-03, 06:22 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by sherm42
I doubt it. Percy is simply of the type of personality that always believes authority. Too much faith in those in charge.

You can see glimpse of his disapproval of how Dumbledore does things in Prisioner of Azkaban. After an attack by Sirius, Dumbledore refuses to let the Dementors into the school to search and Percy seems to seriously disagree with him.
Doesn't your example tend to contradict your position? I've always rather thought that Percy's problem was simple blind ambition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.