Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

My local Best Buy's media section has gone through a couple of downsizings in the last few months, and it's somewhat discouraging, but it's the world we live in now. I picked up 7 new titles during this go around with U&S, which is fairly typical for me with these sales. I wish they carried more catalog titles (it's almost impossible to find anything pre-70s in store), but I use these sales as an opportunity to mostly catch up on newer releases/popular titles and leave the more obscure stuff to B&N sales and Amazon.

One title I was hoping to grab last week, but didn't, was the "4-film favorites" Batman blu. I don't love those movies, but for 14.99 (19.99 - 5.00), I thought it was worth it. I've always wanted to see the documentaries and listen to the commentaries, especially for the Schumacher movies. Well, the set sold out pretty quickly and I kept checking the web site to see if it was back in stock, but no dice. Am I correct in thinking that's there's probably no chance these are coming back in stock before Saturday?
Old 08-05-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's sad but true that I knew this was coming. I had posted about it several times over previous months (since the last inventory massacre). How did I know? Because a couple BB employees and an Anderson rep had told me they heard BB corporate planned to reduce their movie and music inventory down to mostly new releases and a small section of other stuff (probably promo/sale items). They told me it would mostly be by not replacing inventory, but apparently they are going to do returns too. I don't know how much longer we have until BB's movie section is 1 or 2 rows long like Targets, but it is coming.

I've already accepted the fact that future U&S promos will be nearly worthless, and Express Lane is going to be the only way to get anything with U&S. Once they disallow U&S + EL, then U&S will be yet another BB promo to go down the drain. I've said it before and I'll say it again: BB never improves deals over time... they only make them worse and/or take them away.

I'm sad to hear that BB has already done round #2. I just don't know how many rounds it'll take until there's nothing left but a couple rows worth of movies. I haven't been to BB for more than a full week, so I haven't seen massacre #2 of the media section yet.
Most Best Buys I've seen are well stocked for this round of Upgrade and Save, at least in comparison to recent history at the chain.

What is likely to happen at retail in future years is a very small media section, bolstered by seasonal standees and displays brought in like Walmart currently uses. That is where Best Buy is headed. There will be no point to shop for catalog BDs outside of certain holiday periods in stores.
Old 08-05-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
One title I was hoping to grab last week, but didn't, was the "4-film favorites" Batman blu. I don't love those movies, but for 14.99 (19.99 - 5.00), I thought it was worth it. I've always wanted to see the documentaries and listen to the commentaries, especially for the Schumacher movies.
The Batman & Robin bonus content is well worth watching, just to hear Schumacher's apology. After sitting through an hour of everyone involved with the film who was even willing to go on camera and talk about it, I've absolved him of any wrongdoing. It's pretty clear Warner set him up for failure with that one and I don't think anyone in the world could have turned in a movie much better than what he did given the studio's involvement.

Am I correct in thinking that's there's probably no chance these are coming back in stock before Saturday?
Almost certainly not, but if it's not a terrible inconvenience to go to your nearest store, it'd probably be worth doing what I did with Wayne's World. Have them order it for you. You pay in store, but you can use the U&S coupon. They'll ship it to your house for free so you're only out the same you'd pay if they had it in the store anyway.

It's showing backordered online with a 1-2 week wait. Good luck!
Old 08-05-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Got shot down trying to use the coupon on an express lane order. I guess that will cut back on my future upgrade and save purchases.

Picked up:

New World (with slip) $9.99
Miami Vice/Inside Man $4.99
Road Warrior $4.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome $4.99
Old 08-05-13, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BBY in Santa Rosa, CA actually still has a very decent media selection. Finished off this sale with

Dredd $7.99
Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz $4.99

Very happy with the entire sale this time around.
Old 08-05-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get BB to price match, the blu-ray combo of 42, about Jackie Robinson, is on sale at Amazon for $14.99, bringing it down to $9.99.
Old 08-05-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Haul Numero Two-O:
Road Warrior $4.99
Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz $4.99
Beverly Hills Cop $4.99
Premium Rush $4.99

I returned to my local BB today and was pleasantly surprised to find that despite the diminished size of the blu-ray section, it had been restocked with plenty of desirable titles. I wish I had waited to order the Majin set from Amazon because against all expectations it was available at my BB. Could have saved $5! OTOH, I got it in time to watch it for the sci-fi challenge.

Last edited by Gobear; 08-06-13 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
If you can get BB to price match, the blu-ray combo of 42, about Jackie Robinson, is on sale at Amazon for $14.99, bringing it down to $9.99.
I've yet to find a store that will price match and utilize the coupon.
Old 08-05-13, 11:47 PM

Does the non-steelbook UNlimited edition 'Scarface' blu (the one with the 80s slipcover) contain the 1932 version? No would be my guess, but I'm just checking.
And is the steelbook version on sale for cheaper than the 80s version (12.99 in NY BBs, bringing it to 7.99 with coupon)?
Old 08-05-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NYCMan
Does the non-steelbook UNlimited edition 'Scarface' blu (the one with the 80s slipcover) contain the 1932 version? No would be my guess, but I'm just checking.
And is the steelbook version on sale for cheaper than the 80s version (12.99 in NY BBs, bringing it to 7.99 with coupon)?
SteelBook Limited Edition was $9.99 as of last week. I don't know if that's changed. The 80s Edition with the slipcover contains the standard BD release which is the 1983 film and does not include the 1932 movie "Scarface" as a bonus feature.
Old 08-06-13, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by My Other Self
SteelBook Limited Edition was $9.99 as of last week. I don't know if that's changed. The 80s Edition with the slipcover contains the standard BD release which is the 1983 film and does not include the 1932 movie "Scarface" as a bonus feature.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-06-13, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
In fairness, change is the nature of things. There was a time when they didn't offer U&S at all. When they introduced it, we all loved it. Phasing it out (which I agree is clearly what's happening) only indicates that the business model is changing. That's true of any retailer selling media entertainment. If selling catalog media was profitable, they'd dedicate a lot of floor space to it.

And truthfully, I think we can look just to this forum to see not only that it isn't, but why it isn't. We're the most rabid media-buying demographic there is, and we have a TON of chatter about how so many of us have reached a saturation point where we've constructed most of the library each of us set out to build by now. At this point, we're really all down to either obscure stuff or new releases. Scroll through any given weekly ad thread and there's often someone asking, "Who doesn't already have [title on sale that week] by now?"

If we're all pretty much done with catalog titles, and Joe Sixpack is far more passive about library building than we are anyway, how viable can catalog media really be?
Quite true. Given this, EL + U&S will be the key to the value of future U&S offers. I do admit in watching people post their U&S "hauls" being staggeringly amazed at the number of people buying movies I bought for $5 at U&S 1-2 years ago (I think U&S has been going on that long). That tells me that there are either a lot of people newly entering BD who want to buy catalog titles or some people are really slow on the draw in picking things up. So, I would've thought catalog titles @ $5 still sell, but apparently not or they wouldn't be dumping old media everywhere. Yes, I have said for months that I expect BB's media section to look like Walmart's soon, but actually smaller because I think Walmart gets a random smattering of interesting catalog titles (plus they have dump bins) whereas I have a feeling BB will have its new release section, recent release section, and then a small section of bargain/catalog titles. Right now BB has more BDs than Walmart, but I expect that balance to change over time. So sad.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most Best Buys I've seen are well stocked for this round of Upgrade and Save, at least in comparison to recent history at the chain.

What is likely to happen at retail in future years is a very small media section, bolstered by seasonal standees and displays brought in like Walmart currently uses. That is where Best Buy is headed. There will be no point to shop for catalog BDs outside of certain holiday periods in stores.
Exactly what I was trying to say. I don't know how well stocked BB B&Ms are this round... not horrible but not really well stocked either. I haven't been to a BB for more than a week, and I don't plan to go until Friday or Saturday for 1 last handful of titles.

The bottomline, as I said before, is as long as BB lets us use U&S on EL orders and all of the catalog titles continue to be available via EL, then I guess if they slice down their inventory to Walmart levels (or worse), it won't matter, but if they take away the EL + U&S option, then U&S will be all but dead except for new releases (which I don't buy because I'm too cheap).

Last edited by Manzana; 08-06-13 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-06-13, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by My Other Self
SteelBook Limited Edition was $9.99 as of last week. I don't know if that's changed.
It's still $9.99. Picked up a copy on Sunday.
Old 08-06-13, 08:38 AM

I will probably pick up Mud in the next few days here (I'm not worried about inventory on that one since it is a new release and there is an ad for it )...if anybody sees Silver Streak on Blu in-store @ Best Buy, let me know. I know its a long shot, but since it is the last week of U/S and it comes out this week, who knows, who knows.
Old 08-06-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I will probably pick up Mud in the next few days here

There's a $3 coupon at http://www.coupons.com/coupons/Home-...-Coupons-5478/
Old 08-06-13, 09:58 AM

Blaaaaaah, just bought it before you posted that coupon. DAMN IT!

Just picked up:

The place beyond the Pines
Mud
Antiviral

Might be my last haul for this U & S but I still might get Aftershock, Oblivion, On the Road, & To the Wonder....
Old 08-06-13, 10:25 AM
ed

3rd trip

Road Warrior $4.99
Old 08-06-13, 11:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

very last haul:
The Place Beyond the Pines
Mud
Saturday Night Fever/Grease
The Company Men
Immortals
Old 08-06-13, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manzana
but if they take away the EL + U&S option, then U&S will be all but dead except for new releases (which I don't buy because I'm too cheap).
I've said this before. It won't work with 8-digit SKUs and it's probably too late to take advantage of it this time around.

Buy what you want online, return it and rebuy it with the coupon. I've never had a problem doing this at my store. It is faster (sometimes, if the line is not too long) and much less confusing. It also prevents me from wasting gas driving around trying to find all the titles I want that are scattered around the 4 or so BBY's within a 20 mile drive.
Old 08-06-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Went in today and picked up Oblivion. I also went in hoping to express lane a couple of titles. This was my first try at doing the express lane and when I asked the guy at CS about it, you would have thought I was speaking in some foreign language by the expression on his face.

Needless to say, I walked out with my extra dvds in hand as he sent me over to another guy that was on the phone the entire time I was in line at CS and at least another 10 minutes after before I had to give up and leave.
Old 08-06-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my second time in two weeks where I picked out a few movies but left empty handed because of how retarded my Best Buy is. I tried to get Total Recall, the original Evil Dead and a 12 movie DVD set with The Crippled Masters. I'm not sure how other stores are set up, but mine now has in-store pickup people, Upgrade & Save people, and people returning damaged electronics all get in the same line, instead of having people doing simple pick up or trade-ins in one line and time consuming returns in another. So in order for me to do my transaction which should take about 2 minutes I have to spend half an hour waiting behind half a dozen people all holding various damaged merchandise where each transaction before me will take several minutes.

Me spending $15 on 3 movies is not something I should have to spend over 30 minutes in line for. Meanwhile, the cashier at the actual registers is just sitting there yawning with no customers to check out. I like this Upgrade & Save thing because I can get rid of my many, many $3 Big Lots mistakes, but I haven't gotten more than 6 movies this year from Best Buy because it's become a pain in the ass just to shop there.
Old 08-06-13, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
That's awesome, but will they take the coupon and U&S? Or is that strictly a YMMV thing?
Old 08-06-13, 04:13 PM

I know this has been discussed before but how do I trade a tv show with multiple discs to get multiple coupons.
Old 08-06-13, 04:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Eve Brown
I know this has been discussed before but how do I trade a tv show with multiple discs to get multiple coupons.
Unless you split them into separate DVD cases, you will only get 1 coupon for 1 set, no matter how many discs are in it - as far as I remember. Someone can confirm or deny that.
Old 08-06-13, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Unless you split them into separate DVD cases, you will only get 1 coupon for 1 set, no matter how many discs are in it - as far as I remember. Someone can confirm or deny that.
Yeah, my season sets have always been treated as one transaction. It's not a big deal to me since I could not get rid of them in any other way, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by hariseldon
It shouldn't be a YMMV thing. The Customer Forum reps have been 100% absolutely clear that this is always allowable. There are still some managers however that refuse to do it despite written statements that it is SOP.

if it still happens call the 1-888-BESTBUY number while you're there or better yet contact the Community Forum mods at forum.bestbuy.com and they will correct the issue by issuing a refund or a rz certificate often for more than you would have saved with the MQ.
Alright, thanks for that. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'll try to pick what I believe to be a fair store (none of these small places where they are 100% confused how to even do U&S) and see what happens. *fingers crossed*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.