Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

well, i upgraded my DVD version of Carpenter's The Thing to the Blu-ray version.

Got home and found out that 80% of the special features (including the awesome 85 minute documentary) was not ported over the blu-ray!

I didn't even think of checking for this. That is one major omission.

This is one case I wish I kept the DVD version...

Oh well...
Old 08-03-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
well, i upgraded my DVD version of Carpenter's The Thing to the Blu-ray version.

Got home and found out that 80% of the special features (including the awesome 85 minute documentary) was not ported over the blu-ray!

Oh well...
You have to buy the UK Blu-ray to get the extras on The Thing:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=13548
Old 08-03-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When putting together my shopping list, I check reviews over at Blu-ray.com to see if transfers are OK and what extras may've been left behind. Apparently the Escape From New York BD has no extras, so why should I upgrade my old SE DVD?

Not a lot I'm looking for this time around. In fact, I'm heading to BB for the first time during this sale. I've got so many unwatched discs that I've picked up before, there's little urgency to upgrade.
Old 08-03-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Via express lane, The Howling for $13.99
Old 08-03-13, 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the ideas here. I went with (prices pre u&s):

Lock Stock (10)
Daimajin (10)
Beasts of Southern Wild (13)
MIB (10)
MIB2 (10)
MIB3 (3d disc) (15)
Old 08-03-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They rearranged the layout of Madison Heights, MI and there doesn't seem to be a Drama section anymore - just Action/Sci-Fi, Comedy, 3D and Television. Everything's scrambled around, too. Bother.

Picked up (all $5 except Breaking Bad S3 which was $10):

* Moulin Rouge/Romeo + Juliet
* The Big Lewbowski*
* Fast Times at Ridgemont High
* Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz
* Breaking Bad S3**

* Be careful, there's a version with different cover art and a sleeve that's $13 on sale now on the end caps, not the $10 the "old" version is priced at.
** It's $15 on the web site, but scanned at $23. I showed them the price on my phone from the Best Buy app and they overrode it without any fuss.
Old 08-03-13, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

My Best Buy reorganized. Holy crap. Where did everything go? Half the stock is gone!

Wound up grabbing some cheap 3D Blus. Took another 20 minutes waiting in line for my coupons. They need to speed the process up.
Old 08-03-13, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You have to buy the UK Blu-ray to get the extras on The Thing:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=13548
Or the HD DVD. That also hasn't been raped with Vaseline.
Old 08-03-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trip #5 (and my only U&S trip this week):

Beyond Thunderdome - $4.99
Total Recall (2012) - $4.99
Sherlock: S1 - $14.99
Old 08-03-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I usually only pick up a Tuesday title whenever Best Buy does this but today, I picked up:

G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D
Daimajin Triple Feature
Old 08-03-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
My Best Buy reorganized. Holy crap. Where did everything go? Half the stock is gone!

Wound up grabbing some cheap 3D Blus. Took another 20 minutes waiting in line for my coupons. They need to speed the process up.
My BB now has the Customer Service line the same as the Geek Squad. That seems incredibly inefficient to me. And each time I've waited at least 10 minutes, for a one minute transaction (they ask me up they look at my disks, they give me coupons, I'm done.) Online pickup has a line to itself. Is that a normal thing now?
Old 08-03-13, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
My BB now has the Customer Service line the same as the Geek Squad. That seems incredibly inefficient to me. And each time I've waited at least 10 minutes, for a one minute transaction (they ask me up they look at my disks, they give me coupons, I'm done.) Online pickup has a line to itself. Is that a normal thing now?
That's how mine is also. Funny thing is online pickup is usually empty with an employee sitting there answering the phones. I've been lucky the couple times I went and only had to wait a few minutes.
Old 08-04-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve

Oh well...
It's still on there, it is in the pip track.
Old 08-04-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madmod20061
That's how mine is also. Funny thing is online pickup is usually empty with an employee sitting there answering the phones. I've been lucky the couple times I went and only had to wait a few minutes.
I believe most stores switched to that set-up early this year/late last year. It's idiotic. Often, there are people wanting to perform simple returns or U&S stuck behind people trying to get laptops fixed. Meanwhile, the person at online pick-up is falling asleep. I hardly ever see a customer there.
Old 08-04-13, 01:11 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I had this problem twice this week. At one store the Geeks were working on repairs and they left me waiting ten to twenty minutes before anybody came by to help. They pretty much just ignored me for awhile and I was the only one in line. At another store I had the same experience. This is horrible and very incompetent.
Old 08-04-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a 10-pack of horror BD's for $12.99 BC. 4 children of the corn flicks, plus Cursed, Darkness, Phantoms, and 3 more. It was two BD cases shrinkwrapped together. I figured for 80 cents per movie, why not? There are likely no extras, and not necessarily great quality, but still...
Old 08-04-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Found a 10-pack of horror BD's for $12.99 BC. 4 children of the corn flicks, plus Cursed, Darkness, Phantoms, and 3 more. It was two BD cases shrinkwrapped together. I figured for 80 cents per movie, why not? There are likely no extras, and not necessarily great quality, but still...
what is the SKU?
Old 08-04-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Add to this mess mine got rid of the check out counter for video games as well. Picking up a preorder? Gotta wait in the Geek Squad line.
Old 08-04-13, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Egads! Every BB I visited last week had "rearranged" (read: significantly reduced) their music & movies sections...and moved them behind the expanded phones sections to a barely locatable corner.

I went looking for "Cosmopolis", which is no longer in any BB stores. Also wanted "Jarhead", but it's a $7.99 dump-bin Blu that the U&S coupon can't be used on.
Considered "Hansel & Gretel Get Baked", "Brokeback Mountain", and the '78 "Battlestar Galactica".
Ultimately only ended up with the "Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz" 2-fer.

This is to say, I walked in with 3 U&S coupons, and still have 2 that will likely go to waste, as there's just nothing left of interest in the BB's.
Old 08-04-13, 04:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Fifth Haul:

Daimajin Triple Feature - $4.99
Dragon - $9.99
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - $4.99
Of Gods and Men - $4.99
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning - $4.99
Old 08-04-13, 04:31 PM
Banned

local dropped size of physical media and obliterated stock yet again, and it was a fucking MESS. found NOTHING worth a damn.

the "new" echo bridge multi-packs are on an endcap, although they're just old stock packaged together. The first is the 6 film "masters of terror/horror" pack that has a hellraiser, a halloween, venom, cursed, darkness, and phantoms alongside the children of the corn 4 film pack. the other is the 6 film fast action set that had titles like existenz, ordinary criminals, albino aligator, b monkey, people i know and malevolent packaged alongside an action double feature that has real SHIT titles. both are 12.99.
Old 08-05-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just picked up two today:

Scarface steelbook - $4.99
Sherlock: S2 - $14.99
Old 08-05-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo

It's sad but true that I knew this was coming. I had posted about it several times over previous months (since the last inventory massacre). How did I know? Because a couple BB employees and an Anderson rep had told me they heard BB corporate planned to reduce their movie and music inventory down to mostly new releases and a small section of other stuff (probably promo/sale items). They told me it would mostly be by not replacing inventory, but apparently they are going to do returns too. I don't know how much longer we have until BB's movie section is 1 or 2 rows long like Targets, but it is coming.

I've already accepted the fact that future U&S promos will be nearly worthless, and Express Lane is going to be the only way to get anything with U&S. Once they disallow U&S + EL, then U&S will be yet another BB promo to go down the drain. I've said it before and I'll say it again: BB never improves deals over time... they only make them worse and/or take them away.

I'm sad to hear that BB has already done round #2. I just don't know how many rounds it'll take until there's nothing left but a couple rows worth of movies. I haven't been to BB for more than a full week, so I haven't seen massacre #2 of the media section yet.
Old 08-05-13, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickactual
Egads! Every BB I visited last week had "rearranged" (read: significantly reduced) their music & movies sections...and moved them behind the expanded phones sections to a barely locatable corner.

This is to say, I walked in with 3 U&S coupons, and still have 2 that will likely go to waste, as there's just nothing left of interest in the BB's.
Unfortunately they can make more money off phones than DVD's or CD's. How much can they make off $5 blu's if we don't buy anything else while we are there? They can pop a quick couple hundred by activating a phone
Old 08-05-13, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I've said it before and I'll say it again: BB never improves deals over time... they only make them worse and/or take them away.
In fairness, change is the nature of things. There was a time when they didn't offer U&S at all. When they introduced it, we all loved it. Phasing it out (which I agree is clearly what's happening) only indicates that the business model is changing. That's true of any retailer selling media entertainment. If selling catalog media was profitable, they'd dedicate a lot of floor space to it.

And truthfully, I think we can look just to this forum to see not only that it isn't, but why it isn't. We're the most rabid media-buying demographic there is, and we have a TON of chatter about how so many of us have reached a saturation point where we've constructed most of the library each of us set out to build by now. At this point, we're really all down to either obscure stuff or new releases. Scroll through any given weekly ad thread and there's often someone asking, "Who doesn't already have [title on sale that week] by now?"

If we're all pretty much done with catalog titles, and Joe Sixpack is far more passive about library building than we are anyway, how viable can catalog media really be?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.