Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Black Friday Week Lightning Deals Calender - 2012 Ed.

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Black Friday Week Lightning Deals Calender - 2012 Ed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Black Friday Week Lightning Deals Calender - 2012 Ed.

I still got some good deals on cyber Monday - Wii udraw w/2 games for $16, Cinema Paradiso for $4.xx, Kinect Star Wars for $19, Married with Children complete for $24 and so on.
Old 11-27-12, 06:38 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Everything I still wanted at Amazon (40+ items in my cart, saved for later) or anywhere else was either back up to regular price or didn't drop a damned dime for "Cyber Monday" so for me it was pretty much a worthless "holiday". -kd5-
Old 11-27-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought yesterday was pretty dull too; I bought one BD and one CD. I did jump on amazon's Kindle offer, but those aren't for me; they're for my sons.

Overall, I found this a bit of a slow year. Lots of good prices but not much to grab me. In past years, I found stuff to buy starting the Monday before Thanksgiving, but this year I bought nothing until mid-week. I still came out with a nice bundle for myself (all paid for with birthday cash I saved), but I explained elsewhere that as far as movies are concerned, I'm finding fewer DVDs left in my collection that I want to upgrade to Blu-ray and my other "to buy" list is dwindling as well.
Old 11-27-12, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think- and this has been mentioned before the ever aggressive competition has pushed so much activity to Thanksgiving day and earlier that by Monday, it's just getting to be later and later as the calendar moves so much earlier.
Old 11-27-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moopher
I feel like Cyber Monday has never really been much of anything, more hype than delivery.
I think the only "Cyber Monday" deal I can even think of was the 8.00 TV sets at Target a few years ago. Other than that, it's been a bust.

I woke up every morning early (like 4AM) and with the exception of the Sears deal, it would not have made any difference. Aside from Lightning Deals, nothing really sold out that fast. (Bond was available until late morning) I lost ALOT of sleep for nothing.

There was not a whole lot of unadvertised deals this year. I remember last year stuff popping up all week - African Queen at BN, the famous Ben Hur set, Ten Commandments at Buy.com, Platoon at Buy.com, Chitty Chitty at DD. The year before that, WB shop had a lot of their classic sets at 11.00. Gohastings had TNG Complete for $75. Even though Amazon has primarily PM'd other retailers this year (like every year), they did some great deals - Bond 50, a lot of complete series (including It takes a Thief LD), Sherlock Holmes, etc. While many of us have attacked Amazon for that, it would have been nice if BBY had PM'd Amazon on some of its exclusive deals.
Old 11-27-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Cyber Monday is a complete myth. It's based on the days when people had dial-up at home so they shopped online when they got into the office. Now all the best online deals are on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

I noticed Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is 12.99, but that's a rental in every sense of the word.
Old 11-27-12, 10:26 AM

more like Sigh-burr (left out in the cold) Monday. Twice shut out on Brave BD. Yesterday was right there on time then watched it go 22% taken,31% taken,81% taken, SOLD OUT all while waiting for it to be put in my cart. Talk about your Charlie Brown Christmas...Congrats to those who got'em! Better luck next year!
Old 11-27-12, 12:21 PM

Lost out on Brave twice in 5 days. Thurs. night at Wallymart, arrived on time to find them all vanished. Yesterday on Amazon, as well. Not meant to be. Oh well, it's not a great Pixar anyway.
Old 11-27-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Everything I still wanted at Amazon (40+ items in my cart, saved for later) or anywhere else was either back up to regular price or didn't drop a damned dime for "Cyber Monday" so for me it was pretty much a worthless "holiday". -kd5-
Exactly!!!! Really pissed me off. I have like $700 in stuff ready to buy for christmas. I was hoping yesterday that maybe on the whole about I might save like $100 and if that was the case I would have pulled the trigger. But some things actually increased in price.

Fuck you Amazon.
Old 11-27-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I assume that Indiana Jones $29.99 blu-ray deal will never happen unless post Christmas or sometime in mid or late 2013.
At this point I'm pretty much writing off that and the $9.99 deals that were listed with it as either hoaxes or legitimate deals that got scrapped.
Old 11-27-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
On Cyber Monday 2011 I seem to recall lots of deals that kept me super busy. I think there were lightning deals on Amazon, Target.com had DVDs and BDs at huge discounts (back when I didn't have a Red Card), and Chase Rewards had a large discount on top of existing discounts at Best Buy. The demand was so intense that Chase Rewards was all but shut down.

This Cyber Monday I didn't see 1 single deal here, on Slickdeals or any other deals site I checked that interested me at all. Maybe I should've jumped at the Sherlock Holmes BD collection today, as I do realize they are well done movies, but I'm just not into slow B&W movies that much. So I bought nothing today.

Here's my question: Did I miss the great Cyber Monday deals today or were there pretty much no great deals for movies or games (besides Amazon's few lightning deals which one can argue how good of deals they were)? It seems to me the best online deals were on Thanksgiving, so Cyber Monday became a non-event being effectively moved to Thanksgiving instead. Am I right?
It's a marketing scam perpetrated by Internet retailers. There were practically no decent deals yesterday, as there never are each year on Cyber Monday. The real deals window for Black Friday now run from the Sunday before to the day itself, with a few scattered deals showing up on the weekend afterwards.

Amazon also seemed to step back a little this year from offering superdeals via the Lightning Deals system. In the past they had TVs priced so low they would sell out within a second, but most of the Lightning Deals this year appeared to be manufacturer overstock for the most part.
Old 11-27-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah yesterday deals were very meh, and i agree the best deals started the Sunday before BF, i think more than 50% of the movies i bought I actually ordered before Friday
Old 11-27-12, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get the "no deals" thing. There were plenty of deals. Just because some people had already purchased items upon their initial release doesn't mean that everyone else did.
Old 11-27-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by albert_m
I don't get the "no deals" thing. There were plenty of deals.
Me too. Granted I haven't really done a Black Friday before this and don't purchase a ton of stuff like others do, but there seemed to be tons of deals this year. Not always for stuff I don't already own unfortunately, but deals are deals.
Old 11-27-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
Yeah yesterday deals were very meh, and i agree the best deals started the Sunday before BF, i think more than 50% of the movies i bought I actually ordered before Friday
same here. I got nothing I did not want before yesterday.
Old 11-27-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a marketing scam perpetrated by Internet retailers. There were practically no decent deals yesterday, as there never are each year on Cyber Monday.
What about the Sherlock Holmes set at 73% off?
Old 11-27-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

As has been said before, the calendar is just a small part of the deals. It was the matching that killed me.
Old 11-27-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
I feel like Cyber Monday has never really been much of anything, more hype than delivery.
Yes, I learned my lesson last year with Amazon...much better deals prior to Cyber Monday than ON Cyber Monday. I purchased accordingly this year.
Old 11-27-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
As has been said before, the calendar is just a small part of the deals. It was the matching that killed me.
Same for me. I'd say roughly 90% of the stuff I grabbed from Amazon were price matches from other retailers. There were a couple of decent deals yesterday that I got in on.

In all honesty, I'm kind of glad that the deals are winding down. I've placed 32 orders in the last 30 days at Amazon. My wallet is just bleeding profusely at this point.
Old 11-27-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't get the "no deals" thing. There were plenty of deals. Just because some people had already purchased items upon their initial release doesn't mean that everyone else did.
Agreed. Plus, a Fire Kindle was like 30 dollars off, which seems like a great deal. It just seems that with all the deals that stores have during Thanksgiving onward for movies, it's hard to have better prices than that expect for a few box sets.
Old 11-27-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It will be a different kind of black day if Amazon winds up being the only major retail player in the country.
Old 11-27-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I am never one to purchase at full retail price or anything, this Black Friday week has made me decide to not even consider a non-Criterion or non-Disney BD purchase above $10. With a collection well over 1K discs, a Netflix streaming account, and an HBO Go account, I can find something to watch while I wait for prices to drop to these ridiculous lows.

Great feeling today as 11 of my Amazon discs arrived.
Old 11-27-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
While I am never one to purchase at full retail price or anything, this Black Friday week has made me decide to not even consider a non-Criterion or non-Disney BD purchase above $10. With a collection well over 1K discs, a Netflix streaming account, and an HBO Go account, I can find something to watch while I wait for prices to drop to these ridiculous lows.
Agreed. Actually posted a similar kind of post about the 10 dollar threshold two years ago around this time. I even remember getting some static about that being unrealistic and then Amazon had lightning deals for the Bond Blu-Rays for 6-7 dollars which helped make my point.

Even many Criterions come to the 13-14 dollar range if you wait for the two big sales and you get a cooperative clerk.

There have been some exceptions where I've spent over 10 bucks besides Disney. A few Twilight Time purchases (Bye-Bye Birdie is a great transfer if you like the film) and a couple new releases for the kids. Chinatown as well ... my favorite film so I thought 'screw waiting.'

Perhaps even the 10 dollar threshold should be lowered a bit ...
Old 11-27-12, 09:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Just came from my cart at Amazon, prices are still going up..

-kd5-