Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Apparently U&S is back on October 7th

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Apparently U&S is back on October 7th

On break this afternoon, got E.T. digibook for $19.99 with trade. Now just have to return the one I pre-ordered when it arrives in the mail. There were eight copies of the digibook on the shelf when I left and lots of the edition in the regular case.

Prometheus was all over the place; two big displays just inside the door and more copies in the new release rack and the main shelves. They had more of the 2D than the 3D packages but neither was in short supply.

I actually thought I spotted a Jaws digibook for a moment until I realized it was copies of the DVD mixed with the Blu-rays in the standard cases. These integrated DVDs and BDs are pretty annoying.

Bay Shore NY if anyone is interested.
Old 10-09-12, 01:31 PM

Well, that was interesting.

Turned out that didn't apply all my trade-ins (two out of six) and had to get back in line.

Worked out for me though

I actually ended up TRADING a DVD for a Blu, instead of upgrading

Last edited by Phibes; 10-09-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The clerk didn't cross off a line on my receipt when I picked up Prometheus, so that's $5 I can use again.
Old 10-09-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traded in 4 old Fox sampler discs and a Sideshow Collectibles DVD catalog. They didn't have the proper coupons, so I got a photocopy coupon with the number 5 written on it. But I only bought 3 items. They gave it back to me, and didn't even write on it. So it looks like I can get 5 again. Bought:
ET Digibook - $19.99
Miramax 6-movie action collection (Existenz, B Monkey, Albino Alligator...etc) - $4.99
The Next Three Days - $4.99

Also picked up my order for Kevin Smith 3-movie pack ($4.99)

Wanted to get Prometheus 3D, but the Reward Zone app wasn't bringing up my RZ certs, so decided to go back later. Found out they changed the app. There is a new Best Buy app now...
Old 10-09-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've had the same girl the last 4 times I've done a trade-in. I get excited when I see she's working because I know there will no problems with the trade-in.

I got

The League Season 2
The League Season 3
The Innkeepers
Magic

Total was about $30. I almost got the I Spit On Your Grave double feature, passed on it. The original actually isn't a badly made movie, but it's such a bummer I don't think I'd ever watch it again. Actually the same reason I didn't get Henry.
Old 10-09-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally I found this a pitiful sale. The local Best Buy has reduced their local BD movie selection to the point that it isn't even worth going. Titles I thought I might "upgrade and save" were either not there at all, raised to $14.99 from a previous price of $9.99 or lowered to $7.99 and thus not eligible. Even the stock levels on sale items sucked. I found zero copies of Alien movies, zero copies of xmen and zero copies of AVP. I don't know how they could have fucked up worse. Their selection of catalog titles is worse than either Walmart or Target. I think I'm done with them ... unless it's a sale item and I can get there at opening on the first day. Otherwise, forget it.
Old 10-09-12, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Since it just started a couple of days ago and runs until the 20th, you may want to be a little patient and allow them to restock and add/lower prices. That's what they usually do every time they have this promo. But it's far from a fuck up of a sale, and definitely much better than Target and Wal-Mart.

Last edited by E Unit; 10-09-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Easy
I found zero copies of Alien movies, zero copies of xmen and zero copies of AVP.
There is a special cardboard display, promoting Prometheus. It is possible your store didn't put it out yet.
Old 10-09-12, 05:36 PM

Plan to head out to search for E.T and Prometheus (in 2D). Have one Reward Zone certificate to use. Hope they're both still in stock...
Old 10-09-12, 06:26 PM

Picked up Prometheus 3D and encountered no pricing issues when I checked out. I also picked up Margaret with Anna Paquin and Matt Damon, which finally became available in retail stores today after being an Amazon exclusive since July. It's on sale for $24.99, so I got it for $19.99, which is as good a deal as any I've seen on that movie. Just a heads up if anyone is interested.
Old 10-09-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ended up with the following for $10.77 after $10 RZ. Not too shabby with the fact that it includes admission for 2 shows as well with the 1st 2.

Red Dawn
Taken
Road to Perdition
Jeff Dunham : Mind the Monsters
Old 10-09-12, 08:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

how long does the U&S deal go on for?
Old 10-09-12, 08:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

10/20
Old 10-09-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone seen MAGIC in the Los Angeles area?

In my quest to find it, I did find a JAWS digibook, so not a total loss.
Old 10-09-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So did anyone find any of the James Bond exclusives? I ended up with Prometheus 3D and To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a shame that BB's selection pretty much resembles a bigger Redbox. Nothing unusual or interesting.
Old 10-09-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So did anyone find any of the James Bond exclusives?
Those aren't out until next week.

I found the promotion this time around to be a royal pain in the ass. I haven't read the thread, but it looks like some people are mentioning a receipt the cashiers are crossing out when they check out.

The store I went to had this to some extent. Instead of the coupon vouchers they would only accept the trade ins at the customer service desk and print out the receipt and hold on to it until you picked out your new titles.

It just seemed more hassle than it was, especially for the customer service reps. They really had no idea what they were doing and were confused as hell. I didn't know if I was necessarily going to get 5 titles when I traded them in but was hoping I'd at least get some sort of print out if they didn't have the vouchers so I could come back at a later time or go to another store.

I wonder why they're not doing the vouchers this time around?
Old 10-10-12, 06:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
I almost got the I Spit On Your Grave double feature, passed on it. The original actually isn't a badly made movie, but it's such a bummer I don't think I'd ever watch it again. Actually the same reason I didn't get Henry.
The Joe Bob Briggs commentary is worth checking out.
Old 10-10-12, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
you will be really glad you returned 'BS Dracula' - its video quality is abysmal. I recently got one and am regretting it.
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
It's one of the worst Blu-rays out there.....yet it's the best this film looks right now.
Is it worth the hassle to return it? I mean, do I lose my coupon/trade in?
Old 10-10-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
It just seemed more hassle than it was, especially for the customer service reps. They really had no idea what they were doing and were confused as hell. I didn't know if I was necessarily going to get 5 titles when I traded them in but was hoping I'd at least get some sort of print out if they didn't have the vouchers so I could come back at a later time or go to another store.

I wonder why they're not doing the vouchers this time around?
Agreed. Usually I just hand someone a movie and they hand me a coupon. This time the processed it like a video game trade in where you have to sign for it. The clerk asked me if I knew what I was getting with the coupons and I replied no. He says well I can just hold onto to these and I can do it all on the same transaction. I replied no thank you, I just want my coupons and I will look around.
Old 10-10-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
Has anyone seen MAGIC in the Los Angeles area?
There are none in the Houston area either. I placed an online order for a return/rebuy (and picked up 4 more!), but if it weren't for Magic, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I haven't seen this since it was in theaters or on TV so I hope it holds up.
Old 10-10-12, 02:36 PM

Anyone know when Best Buy typically restocks?

All the ones I want are showing as unavailable.
Old 10-10-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
Personally I found this a pitiful sale. The local Best Buy has reduced their local BD movie selection to the point that it isn't even worth going.
I agree 1000%. I only traded 1 DVD for Red Dawn. They don't have any New release-Catalog titles that I want and the only new release I have any interest is Prometheus 3D but I'm going to PM that sucker at Target or Walmart instead and save me a dvd.
Old 10-10-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've traded in three times so far with varying degrees of success. My standard method is to come in with the DVDs and just walk around with them until I find what I want, and then go to Customer Service to get the coupons and check all at the same time.

1st trip (Sunday): Went in and started looking around with my DVDs. Blue Shirt walking around asked if I was trading in movies, and said I could do it at Customer Service, or at the Game Trading station. I found a few movies, and went up to the Game Trading area, as Customer Service was really backed up. It turns up that the original Blue Shirt was wrong, and you can only do the U&S at Customer Service. Go up there with three movies (only two were eligible due to one being $7.99, although there was no tag on the shelf). Traded in 4 anyways, as I knew I'd find other stuff, so they just gave me two physical coupons stapled to my receipt, and I was out the door.

2nd Trip (Tuesday): Go to another store with my two left-over coupons and another stack of DVDs. Grab Prometheus, I Spit on Your Grave, and Cast Away. Needed one additional coupon, so I handed over my DVD at Customer Service. Coupon wouldn't accept on Cast Away (I'm sure she only scanned two coupons). I told her the coupon didn't take, and she looked in the ad and said "Not valid with special offers. This is on sale." I explained that all of the movies I was buying were on sale, and she wouldn't budge. So I just took my DVD back and told her to keep Cast Away.

3rd trip (Wednesday): Went in with 5 DVDs again. Grabbed 6 movies (including the Kevin Smith Collection for $4.99). Tried to do everything in one transaction, but the last U&S coupon didn't take the $5 off on one of the eligible items. I think it tries to take the money off of the first 5 blu-rays, and if it's not eligible, it just doesn't register. The Customer Service guy manually took the $5 off the last title.

On a side note, only one of the three stores I've visited had made the transition to combine the blu-rays and DVDs. I looked around for only a couple minutes, and left disgusted. At the other two stores (that I actually traded stuff in at), I made complete passes through the blu-ray section looking for things to purchase.
Old 10-10-12, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
Is it worth the hassle to return it? I mean, do I lose my coupon/trade in?
Traded for another $9.99 (4.99) title, no problem, to answer my own question.

Today I got:
ATM 4.99
Deadgirl 4.99

...for the horror challenge.

The Holyoke, MA store had multiple copies of Magic, for anyone interested in travelling across the country. Also, copies of many horror movies I paid 2x-4x as much for. What a pisser.

The colossal remodeling disaster hit this store, and I'm assuming Hadley, MA, as they were "under construction" last time I checked. Took me like 4x as long to get through it.
Old 10-10-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quick Question, I got Prometheus like so many, does the 3D version have more bonus features? I bought one cuz its the only one that mentioned the 3.5 hr documentary and there were about 3 copies left. Odd that the regular bluray wouldnt have the same shit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.