Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

I went to (2) seperate Best Buys which are close to my house. Between the two stores, my experiences were different. One store knew exactly the process and it was fluid and easy. The second store tried to tell me I had to go to the Video Game Trade-In booth before finally realizing I had to go to Customer Service and then they still didnt know exactly how to do the process, but after time it got done. I traded in a slew of promo dvds with blocked out barcodes which I received from a friend who used to do marketing for Universal.

I ended up getting the following Blu's after the $5 discount coupon for each:

American Beauty 4.99
The Crow 4.99
Carlitos Way 4.99
Good Will Hunting 4.99
Raging Bull 4.99

Traffic 4.99
Taxi Driver 9.99
500 Days of Summer 7.99
American Gangster Combo 4.99
Snatch 4.99

Now for the interesting part - at the second store (the inept one), they put the coupons and recycling receipt in the bag with the Blu-Rays. So I am curious on whether I am going to be able to double dip by taking the coupons back. Anyone have experience with this???
Old 01-09-12, 07:59 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The store I went to said there was no reycycling receipt to give me. I have a coupon left. Am I gonna have trouble at other stores without a receipt?
Old 01-09-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dead_precedence
i'm having trouble locating a copy of Road to Perdition at any of my local BB's, and it's unfortunate that you're not able to "check available stores" online to see which store carries it. if i'm not able to find a copy, i will most likely purchase it from Amazon, since the price on it has dropped to $9.99. but damn, i would love to pick this up for $5.
Might not be available in stores at all. Here's the in-store stock for it, and it's not at any stores in my area (10+ stores). You might get lucky though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&skuId=1085234

In the future, if you (or anyone) want to check in-store stock on something and it won't let you, just grab that item's SKU, copy it, and then go to an item that you can check stock on and paste the SKU into the URL, and that'll give you the checker for the item you want.
Old 01-09-12, 08:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Shagrath
In the future, if you (or anyone) want to check in-store stock on something and it won't let you, just grab that item's SKU, copy it, and then go to an item that you can check stock on and paste the SKU into the URL, and that'll give you the checker for the item you want.

thanks so much for the heads up on that nifty trick. i pasted in the SKU for Road to Perdition, and none of the 10 BB store locations in my area have it in stock. it says "unavailable" at all the locations, so i'm starting to also believe that this is available online only.
Old 01-09-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This blows. I have a bunch of old stuff that's worthless, but there's nothing I need right now. I'm seeing titles I paid $15 for going for $5 with this deal.
Old 01-09-12, 08:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dead_precedence
thanks so much for the heads up on that nifty trick. i pasted in the SKU for Road to Perdition, and none of the 10 BB store locations in my area have it in stock. it says "unavailable" at all the locations, so i'm starting to also believe that this is available online only.
sucks that's the one title I been waiting to get for the longest $4.99 would have been awesome! I guess i'll check tomorrow at the store see if get lucky
Old 01-09-12, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Anyone else just get ONE coupon for your 5 dvds? I bought four blus and was saving the 5th one for Tues. to buy Killer Elite for 14.99. They put x's by four of the dvd trade ins on the trade receipt, and wrote have one trade in left and stapled the one coupon to it. I really hope I dont have to fight with these fools. Already went rounds with them today for my wifes phone upgrade.
Old 01-09-12, 09:32 PM
Banned

dude wouldnt let me use it on the Louie S1 combo pack. Lame but I wasnt gonna argue.
At one BB I got
Braveheart and Raging Bull for 4.99 each
at another I got
Theres something about mary and a coupon and louie S1 for $15 total
Old 01-09-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by provoking
I went to (2) seperate Best Buys which are close to my house. Between the two stores, my experiences were different. One store knew exactly the process and it was fluid and easy. The second store tried to tell me I had to go to the Video Game Trade-In booth before finally realizing I had to go to Customer Service and then they still didnt know exactly how to do the process, but after time it got done. I traded in a slew of promo dvds with blocked out barcodes which I received from a friend who used to do marketing for Universal.

I ended up getting the following Blu's after the $5 discount coupon for each:

American Beauty 4.99
The Crow 4.99
Carlitos Way 4.99
Good Will Hunting 4.99
Raging Bull 4.99

Traffic 4.99
Taxi Driver 9.99
500 Days of Summer 7.99
American Gangster Combo 4.99
Snatch 4.99

Now for the interesting part - at the second store (the inept one), they put the coupons and recycling receipt in the bag with the Blu-Rays. So I am curious on whether I am going to be able to double dip by taking the coupons back. Anyone have experience with this???
You definitely should be able to, the UPC code is not at all unique. When I checked out with mine they just scanned the 1st coupon 5 times. Ended up only with 3 because they would not adjust Spiderman/Stripes. She took 3 of the coupons off the receipt leaving me with the other 2. 2nd person I checked out with did not bogther taking them so still have those 2 to use. The coupons are not tied to anything, unless the store insists they are with the receipt but still have that.
Old 01-09-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My experience was a bit different that the posts I have read here. I took my 5 trade-ins to CS. They said I have to find the titles I want to buy first, then can come back there, or go to any register. Then they handed me one coupon. I asked if I needed one coupon for each trade-in, and they said no. So I picked out the titles I wanted, then went to a normal check-out lane and handed them my trade-ins with the one coupon. They scanned the coupon once for each title I bought. The system took the $5 off each sale price without any issues. No override required. Plus, he gave the coupon back to me. So if another BB store has a different process for trade-ins, perhaps I'll get to use the extra coupon. They didn't have Road to Perdition, so I will be hitting another BB tomorrow in hopes of finding that anyway.
I bought:
American Beauty - $4.99
Hangover 2 Combo - $9.99
Horrible Bosses Combo - $9.99
Rise of POTA - $12.99

Last edited by kenbenobi; 01-09-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

How do they know it is a music blu? Does the sku indicate it, or do they just rely on the cashier to catch it?
Old 01-09-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdollaz
How do they know it is a music blu? Does the sku indicate it, or do they just rely on the cashier to catch it?
Give it a try and report back to us Guessing they have those specific sku's in the system to not be accepted?
Old 01-09-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ I thought that restriction applied to Blu-ray audio discs, like Moving Pictures by Rush, not to regular concert Blu-rays like The Police: Certifiable....
Old 01-09-12, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I was tempted to get Cowboys & Aliens for $12.99, but I really really really hope a 3D version comes out.
Unless I'm mistaken, this was never even shown in 3D.
Old 01-09-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I guess stripes is at 9.75 now.
So is Boyz in the hood and few others.I think we'll see more blu's drop to this price this week,just so we can't use the $5 coupon..
Well it will be ymmv.

I bought
Out of Africa $4.99
Cape Fear $4.99
Thelma & Louise $4.99
All after $5 off.

took them forever to give me my $5 coupons,I'm pissed off at them again.
Love/hate relationship.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 01-10-12 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Unless I'm mistaken, this was never even shown in 3D.
OMG you're right! I could have sworn it was, but I just googled it. I knew it played at my local IMAX 3D theater, but apparently in 2D. Thanks!
Old 01-10-12, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by banthafett
Anyone else just get ONE coupon for your 5 dvds? I bought four blus and was saving the 5th one for Tues. to buy Killer Elite for 14.99. They put x's by four of the dvd trade ins on the trade receipt, and wrote have one trade in left and stapled the one coupon to it. I really hope I dont have to fight with these fools. Already went rounds with them today for my wifes phone upgrade.
Mine gave me one coupon and wrote "x5" on it in pen with the worker's name. Since I only bought 3 today, the cashier crossed out "x5" and wrote "x2" and her name. She did staple it to the receipt showing the 5 trade-ins.
Old 01-10-12, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised many are reporting this is o popular at their store with big signs and dedicated lines. At my store they had signs up at the shelves and when I did my trade in on Monday they said I was the first one.
Old 01-10-12, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kyle
Same thing happened to me--for some reason some 5% New Best Buy Card Holder discount is getting applied to purchases paid by BB Credit Card.
I have a BBY cc, but did not get 5% off. Did anyone else get this? Anyone get this multiple times like it is a regular thing like Target already has? If it was only once then maybe I got it when I PMed Target at BBY for Simpsons s14 ltd ed head packaging for $15 last week. Have to check my receipt. If it is a regular thing that would mean almost 9% off since you get 4% back already with the card.
Old 01-10-12, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
Traded 7 HD DVDs (all of which I already have on blu) for

Cape Fear
American Gangster combo (careful, the non-combo rings up $14.99)
Knocked Up combo
40 Year Old Virgin combo
Three Amigos (yes, stickered $37.99, but rang up $12.99)
Warrior combo
Stripes

I'm going back later in the week with some more HD DVDs for Moneyball and Fever Pitch and maybe Boardwalk Empire.
Have a ton of duplicate HD-DVDs to get rid of. Hopefully this works at my BB.
Old 01-10-12, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
It sounds like most of you had to bring up what you want to purchase to the CS desk with your trade-ins? I always expected that the CS desk would just hand you coupons, and you could check-out at the standard registers...
Depends on the store I guess. At mine, it makes much more sense to go find the blu-ray I'm looking for (they don't seem to mind me carrying around a few old dvds) and then come to customer service and do it all in one fell swoop. Too many variables (to me anyway) for customer service to give me the coupon and then go to the cashier and expect it to work out right. Now, if I was just trading the discs in and getting coupons to use them later, okay. But if I already know I'm getting X disc, just make it one transaction.
Old 01-10-12, 07:52 AM

Traded in 5 dvds Sunday first thing, only had a problem that the manager had to override to use the 5 coupons. They did it no problem, but wondered what the glitch was. They know me pretty well, so I think that helped as well.

Picked up:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Wall Street
Halloween
Kill Bill 1
Scarface Limited

All but Scarface at 4.99, SF at 9.99.

Probably pick up Killer Elite and a couple others later this week.

Didn't receive a receipt for the trade ins at customer service, cashier just asked, told her they didn't give me one, she didn't care. Again, could be because they know me. Will see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 01-10-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got to Best Buy when the store opened. I couldn't find anyone who even knew what the Upgrade & Save was. Finally, I saw one of my friends (who works in appliances but used to work in the media section) and he was able to help me out. I got up to the register and practically had to talk the cashier through the process as it was her first time doing the Upgrade & Save. She was very nice and understanding. As was my friend. Everyone else I asked about it just looked at me like I was an idiot or like I was trying to steal from them.

Picked up:
Boardwalk Empire S1 (with BB-exclusive bonus disc) - $29.99
John Adams - $19.99
10 Things I Hate About You - $4.99

Also picked up a blu-ray copy of the Game of Thrones sampler.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 01-10-12 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

picked up the following today....

Boardwalk Empire BBY exclusive - $30
Raging Bull - $5
Matrix Reloaded/Revolution - $5
Cape Fear - $5

plus the costs of the discs I purchased @ Dollar Tree for $1 each

no problems what so ever doing this today other than the girl at CS said I could not do a return/rebuy on my online order of Boardwalk Empire. She suggested letting it expire or trying to cancel online. So I had to go get another copy from the floor.

No sign of the HBO Game of Thrones promo discs.
Old 01-10-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
No sign of the HBO Game of Thrones promo discs.
They are very easy to overlook. They are tucked alphabetically in the TV section and the cases are super slim. Your store may have been out of them though.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 01-10-12 at 12:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.