International Blu-ray deals

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
re: International Blu-ray deals

Originally Posted by joltman
For others that are confused, darkdaze is referring to the Hitchcock set
What would be a good price for this set? The US edition is $149 on Amazon right now.
Old 11-21-12, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

A couple weeks ago, the big LE version was £86.41 shipped. That's when I picked it up. The standard version had similar pricing (this was with VAT removed).
Old 11-21-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seether254
i think i just got your package.

Still waiting for my copies of Doctor Who Series 6 blu and Series 7 part 1 Weeping Angels Limited edition, hopefully they get here tomorrow as they were supposed to arrive last friday, but i think the hurricane delayed them.
Is it true that the feature "The Science of Doctor Who" is exclusive to this UK set? I don't think I can bring myself to spend the money on this. But I hate missing out on features on something I know I'd watch...
Old 11-21-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Is it true that the feature "The Science of Doctor Who" is exclusive to this UK set? I don't think I can bring myself to spend the money on this. But I hate missing out on features on something I know I'd watch...
It's not true, it's included on the US set.
http://www.bbcamericashop.com/dvd/do...ray-16856.html
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3EX3EA4I2T1G6/
Old 11-21-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
For those interested in this set and don't mind importing, Amazon UK will have the reg. edition [Hitchcock] set as part of a lighting deal today around 12:15 pm est. Current price is £92.49 before VAT removal.
The lightning deal is on. £61.75 with VAT:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RLD1VY/

Unfortunately, the deal isn't working for me. It shows up as that price in the cart, but when I get to checkout and pick my delivery address, it goes up to £77.08 without VAT, which means it's taking VAT off the regular price (£92.49).

Maybe there's a restriction that these Black Friday deals are only valid for domestic purchases.
Old 11-21-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Posted this at HDD, but thought I would post it here also...

For those interested in this set and don't mind importing, Amazon UK will have the reg. edition set as part of a lighting deal today around 12:15 pm est. Current price is £92.49 before VAT removal.

One thing I noticed this morning when checking out a lightning deal this morning is that VAT is not removed for these deals. I may be wrong, but I went all the way through check out to get an idea of what my total would be and VAT did not come off for me.
It is 61.75 for the lightning deal. It IS kinda taking VAT out. The problem is, it is taking the VAT out FIRST, and then the lightning deal reduces it to 61.75. It should be reducing the 61.75 price. I placed an order, but am going to contact them about it. Dunno if they will do anything or not...
Old 11-21-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is 61.75 for the lightning deal. It IS kinda taking VAT out. The problem is, it is taking the VAT out FIRST, and then the lightning deal reduces it to 61.75. It should be reducing the 61.75 price. I placed an order, but am going to contact them about it. Dunno if they will do anything or not...
It is because the lightning deal discount is processed as a gift card/promotion credit and not a true price change.

So, what it is doing is calculating the total for the 92.xx price, removing VAT, and then reducing the 15.xx promotion credit (lightning deal discount) from your total.
Old 11-21-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The lightning deal is on. £61.75 with VAT:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RLD1VY/

Unfortunately, the deal isn't working for me. It shows up as that price in the cart, but when I get to checkout and pick my delivery address, it goes up to £77.08 without VAT, which means it's taking VAT off the regular price (£92.49).

Maybe there's a restriction that these Black Friday deals are only valid for domestic purchases.
No, it is working, but their system is flawed. You should see a 15.33 promotional credit, which brings the 77.08 price down to 61.75. But since they are taking the VAT out first, it reduces the deal significantly.
Old 11-21-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
It is because the lightning deal discount is processed as a gift card/promotion credit and not a true price change.

So, what it is doing is calculating the total for the 92.xx price, removing VAT, and then reducing the 15.xx promotion credit (lightning deal discount) from your total.
Correct. But the lightning deal discount SHOULD be 30.74
Old 11-21-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Thanks. The Weeping set says "This individually number limited edition comes with exclusive bonus features" so I thought there were extra features. I compared the two sets (on the UK site) and saw that one feature missing. But it didn't occur to me to check the US site.
Old 11-21-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Correct. But the lightning deal discount SHOULD be 30.74
Math fail on my part.
Old 11-21-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Math fail on my part.
I prefer to look at it as a math fail on THEIR part. I hope they can correct this. I ordered it with the Lethal Weapon set, which is backordered, so my order will not ship right away. Plenty of time for them to read my email and correct the price, IF they choose to do so. Always a crap shoot with Amazon.
Old 11-21-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the response I got, copied and pasted. YES, there is a glaring error contradicting... Can you spot it?

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

Please be informed that all the items from lightning deals are showing price excluding UK VAT.

I can see that the original price of the item "Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942][Region Free]" listed on our website is 92.49 GBP (Including 20% VAT).

Reducing the VAT from the original price of 92.49 GBP you can get 77.07 GBP (Listed on lighting deals). After applying lightning deals promotion of 15.33 GBP, you can get the price of the order as 61.75 GBP.

The price of Lightning Deals’ items is the same for all customers, including customers who are VAT registered in an EU Member State. If you’re based in the UK, the EU or outside the EU, the Lightning Deals' price for the item remains the same.

For your order, the Lightning Deals’ price of "Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942][Region Free]" is 61.75 GBP, which is the amount that you were charged. Therefore, I can confirm that there is VAT charge included on your order.

Please review the Terms and Conditions on our Help page for further information.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200543730
Old 11-21-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the beginning of the email she stated that "Please be informed that all the items from lightning deals are showing price excluding UK VAT." I just now tried purchasing many different lightning deals, shipped to a UK address, and every time the price remains the same and clearly states "Order Totals includes VAT". And near the end of the email, she said "Therefore, I can confirm that there is VAT charge included on your order." I think she meant to say NO VAT charge.

Even though the email was clearly WRONG in several areas, they were correct about the underlying rule. This is in their Help page:
"Price" is the price paid by UK customers. The Lightning Deal price displayed on all Offers is the price paid by all Amazon customers wherever they are based and irrespective of VAT registered status. The savings applied may differ from the Lightning Deal Discount displayed for different tax jurisdictions.

So, lightning deals aren't as awesome for us foreigners. Oh well. It was worth a try...
Old 11-23-12, 11:29 AM

The Potter set is at 22 now (21.41 at checkout). Not bad for $35.

I guess it was 18 the other day, but missed it. I'll take this tho and be done with it
Old 11-24-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

The Kubrick 8 disc box set has dropped to £18.

With VAT removed, it comes to £18.08 shipped. What a steal!

It includes The Shining*, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Barry Lyndon and a feature length documentary on Kubrick.

*Be aware that The Shining is the shortened Euro version. I already own it, so it'll be nice to have both versions.
Old 11-24-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus

It includes The Shining, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Barry Lyndon and a feature length documentary on Kubrick.
I was considering ordering this, but in one of the reviews on Amazon UK someone states that the UK cuts have different(shorter) running times. Haven't had time to due a comparison myself.
Old 11-24-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AFAIK, the only difference is in The Shining, as I mentioned above. I know one review mentioned other differences, but someone corrected that by pointing out that the comparisons were regarding the PAL speedup on the DVD, rather than the Blu-ray discs.
Old 11-25-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

For those that missed out on Bond 50 yesterday, Amazon UK has dropped the price making it around $109 shipped.
Old 11-25-12, 08:44 PM

One warning about Bond 50: Quantum of Solace and the Bonus disk are Region B only.
Old 11-25-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

AFAIK, the only difference is in The Shining, as I mentioned above. I know one review mentioned other differences, but someone corrected that by pointing out that the comparisons were regarding the PAL speedup on the DVD, rather than the Blu-ray discs.
I would think Eyes Wide Shut would be censored.
Old 11-25-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I would think Eyes Wide Shut would be censored.
Uncensored. Only the old US DVD was censored.
Old 11-26-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. As manicsounds mentioned, it was the US dvd version that was censored. I bought the UK DVD originally to avoid that.
Old 11-26-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It includes The Shining*, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Barry Lyndon and a feature length documentary on Kubrick.

*Be aware that The Shining is the shortened Euro version. I already own it, so it'll be nice to have both versions.
Thanks, I ordered one. I have Clockwork Orange on DVD and at one time had Eyes Wide Shut that I got at Big Lots for $2.40, but I loaned it to somebody and never got it back. It sucks that they would use a shorter version of "The Shining" though. I'll have to look for a deal on the Blu-ray of that.
Old 11-26-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Thanks, I ordered one. I have Clockwork Orange on DVD and at one time had Eyes Wide Shut that I got at Big Lots for $2.40, but I loaned it to somebody and never got it back. It sucks that they would use a shorter version of "The Shining" though. I'll have to look for a deal on the Blu-ray of that.
The shorter version of "The Shining" was cut by Kubrick himself, and, from what I understand, there's reason to believe it was his preferred version of the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.