Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I bought "The Gun In Betty Lou's Handbag" on laserdisc for $3.88 at Camelot Music more than 13 years ago and STILL haven't watched it yet!
You're not missing out on anything.... well, except your $3.88, which, when factored up to today's rates, would likely be... oh, who cares?!?!?
Old 04-05-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I DID see it theatrically, since I worked at a theater and projected it during its short run. I think I even have a 35mm trailer for it somewhere. Before DVD came along, you were lucky to be able to find ANYTHING on laserdisc under 20 bucks- Camelot's 'cutouts' were a miracle in their time.
Old 04-05-11, 12:32 AM
Banned

Well, no movie that has William Forsythe, Julianne Moore and Cathy Moriarty in it can be completely worthless. Just think, there are people who spent actual theatre-ticket money and concession-stand prices to see this once upon a time. So 3.88 to own it? Not bad.
Old 04-05-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought "The Gun In Betty Lou's Handbag" on laserdisc for $3.88 at Camelot Music more than 13 years ago and STILL haven't watched it yet!
I miss Camelot's "Repeat Performer" customer card program, where 20 card punches earned a free CD or cassette tape. I use to buy cutout CDs and tapes all the time from there.
FYE backstage pass costs too much and sucks!
Old 04-05-11, 02:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

These are now out at the NoHo store on Victory Blvd. They're on the top shelf of the end cap beside the "previous new releases" blu-ray end cap.
Old 04-05-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) this morning for $10. Looks like the cheapest it's ever been at Amazon is $13.49.
Old 04-05-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They had the $5 titles at the store I was at this morning. All the employees were going nuts over the prices. Nothing I really had to have, even at $5. The only thing I was tempted for was Another Stakeout but I've had the DVD for years and watched it once or twice at the most
Old 04-05-11, 04:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I love how $5 blus are in security cases.
They probably case up all blu-rays in the back before stocking them without knowing the price.
Old 04-09-11, 03:04 PM

I work at a Target where we use the Blu cases on everything Blu-ray.... even now that Blu-ray is becoming more standard and prices are coming down, there's no exception. Even "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" (at $4.75) is in a security case at our store.

At least our AP (assets protection) people are smart enough to set a low price of $44.99 before we put DVD box sets in security packaging... I honestly wonder how long my store had the vast majority of the DVDs in cases.

To be honest, we do have an issue with theft, but I agree that it's a little ridiculous to think that someone would risk getting caught stealing something like "Mega Shark"... I think that would be the definition of 'embarrassment'
Old 04-09-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I miss Camelot's "Repeat Performer" customer card program, where 20 card punches earned a free CD or cassette tape. I use to buy cutout CDs and tapes all the time from there.
Twice I racked up enough points buying mostly cutout LDs and CDs to get a free full-priced ($40) laserdisc. Kind of an 'abuse' of the system.
Old 04-09-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by larrythefatcat
I work at a Target where we use the Blu cases on everything Blu-ray
I love Target and would rather give them my money than Best Buy, but I refuse to buy any slipcover movies at Target since the cases always crush the edges of the cover.
Old 04-10-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Twice I racked up enough points buying mostly cutout LDs and CDs to get a free full-priced ($40) laserdisc. Kind of an 'abuse' of the system.
Not really an abuse of the system. Since they were cut outs, Camelot didn't pay full price for them and a percentage what you paid went towards your reward. I miss the days of the Camelot cut out bins, too.
Old 04-10-11, 11:14 AM

I noticed all the $5 blus are $9 on best buys website but they come out in May.
Old 04-10-11, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I love Target and would rather give them my money than Best Buy, but I refuse to buy any slipcover movies at Target since the cases always crush the edges of the cover.
The Target I go to have new plastic cases that do not damage blu-rays or slip covers. The last 3 blu's I've bought were unscathed (Tangled and the Tron movies). I love the new plastic cases because I know the slip cover wasn't handled by someone with dirty hands. I still wipe it down with an anti-bacterial wipe when I get home, though.
Old 04-10-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only saw 5 of these $5 BDs at my Target. There were 3 from the original list that I don't remember (because I'm not familiar with those movies), Another Stakeout (which I like but not enough to buy the BD for $5 when I already have the DVD), and one that nobody has mentioned...

It was called America's National Treasures and says it has 2 discs inside it. It sounds like a good deal until you go to Amazon and find 0 reviews and then search on Google and find exactly 1 review which says it's like a boring history lesson at school with some pretty HD images.

So, has anyone seen this America's National Treasures and is it worth $5 on BD? I suppose as long as the HD images look good a person could turn down the sound, although if it's mostly a bunch of talking heads that would kinda interrupt the HD scenery.
Old 04-10-11, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I only saw 5 of these $5 BDs at my Target. There were 3 from the original list that I don't remember (because I'm not familiar with those movies), Another Stakeout (which I like but not enough to buy the BD for $5 when I already have the DVD), and one that nobody has mentioned...

It was called America's National Treasures and says it has 2 discs inside it. It sounds like a good deal until you go to Amazon and find 0 reviews and then search on Google and find exactly 1 review which says it's like a boring history lesson at school with some pretty HD images.

So, has anyone seen this America's National Treasures and is it worth $5 on BD? I suppose as long as the HD images look good a person could turn down the sound, although if it's mostly a bunch of talking heads that would kinda interrupt the HD scenery.
I think these are the only $5 BDs Target currently has from Millcreek. I saw that boring Treasure disc too.
Old 04-10-11, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
The Target I go to have new plastic cases that do not damage blu-rays or slip covers. The last 3 blu's I've bought were unscathed (Tangled and the Tron movies). I love the new plastic cases because I know the slip cover wasn't handled by someone with dirty hands. I still wipe it down with an anti-bacterial wipe when I get home, though.
Old 04-10-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Isn't that a little too late since you already touched it.
Old 04-10-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked up Big Business, which I think is hilarious, and Straight Talk as a blind buy. I wish they had released the original Stakeout instead of the sequel.
Old 04-10-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Picked up Another Stakeout. Yeah, it's easy to miss them...
That is the only one that i want, so did you watch it how does it look??, any idea why they didn't release the first Stakeout, i freakin love these two movies, Dreyfuss and Estevez were so funny working together.
Old 04-11-11, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by whotony
Isn't that a little too late since you already touched it.
LOL! Love the "Monk" reference.

No, it's not too late because when I get home, I wipe the stuff down with Clorox anti-bacterial wipes, and then wash my own hands. You might think it is overkill, but I've seen people sneeze into their hands and then grab something off the shelf. Or just not cover their mouth when they sneeze. It's pretty gross. What's worse is seeing at the grocery store. So, you just don't know what kind of germs you are bringing into your home. A few minutes of wiping the stuff down is worth not getting sick.

I'm not a germiphobe like Howie Mandel; I'm just overly cautious. But, I haven't been sick (like the flu or cold) since at least 2007.
Old 04-11-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! Love the "Monk" reference.

No, it's not too late because when I get home, I wipe the stuff down with Clorox anti-bacterial wipes, and then wash my own hands. You might think it is overkill, but I've seen people sneeze into their hands and then grab something off the shelf. Or just not cover their mouth when they sneeze. It's pretty gross. What's worse is seeing at the grocery store. So, you just don't know what kind of germs you are bringing into your home. A few minutes of wiping the stuff down is worth not getting sick.

I'm not a germiphobe like Howie Mandel; I'm just overly cautious. But, I haven't been sick (like the flu or cold) since at least 2007.
Oh, but you're sick in a different way, my friend...
j/k
Seriously though, wouldn't the antibacterial wipes ruin the slipcover? I can't image anything wet and containing chemicals would be good for it...
Old 04-11-11, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Oh, but you're sick in a different way, my friend...
j/k
Seriously though, wouldn't the antibacterial wipes ruin the slipcover? I can't image anything wet and containing chemicals would be good for it...
Nope, slipcover has never been ruined (yet, I guess). If a slipcover can withstand the "Goof Off" stuff, it can definitely withstand anti-bacterial wipes. If the slipcover were just simple paper, yeah, that would not be good, but most covers have the coating that handles things just fine.
Old 04-12-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just a heads up but I spotted and picked up My father the Hero, VI warshowski, and the gun in betty lous hand bag today at the culver city Target. 5.00 each as well they had about 5 of each of these in stock, also i didnt see Gross Anatomy, Another Stakeout at this location anymore.
Old 04-15-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked up Another Stakeout tonight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.