Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Media Prices (August 29 - September 4, 2010)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Media Prices (August 29 - September 4, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Media Prices (August 29 - September 4, 2010)

Originally Posted by micmac36
darn, still waiting for kickass for $20...
Me and you both, brotha! I have a feeling it will hit $15 around Black Friday. It just hit the mark where you can buy it now at Target or WM, and be able to return it in 90 days. I may just buy it this weekend at full price, gambling that it will be cheap by Black Friday...
Old 08-27-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vietduckboi
is Hard Candy a safe/worth it blind buy? I guess the answer will definitely vary person to person.
I'd say it is at this price. Having only watched it once and IIRC IMHO it is "kind of" like Misery.
Old 08-27-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
My Australian BD looks great. Hard Candy was the first DVD I watched on my HD DVD A1 and it looked awesome upconverted.
I saw it on IFC. Can't recall if they broadcast in 720p or 1080i, but it looked very good.

I would assume the disc will improve on that some, not that I have the eyes to discern modest upgrades like that.

If Secretary and High Tension are as good as Hard Candy just on IFC, I would be thrilled. Wish more releases were $9.99-$12.99. If they can make some money, why do other catalogs need to be $20 as they more often than not are?
Old 08-28-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I just noticed in the new release thread that BB will also have Wonderland (Val Kilmer) exclusive until 10/5. I'll definitely be picking that up if it's $10.
Old 08-28-10, 11:55 AM

I remember really loving the colors in the dvd version of Hard Candy. This is an immediate upgrade for me.
Old 08-28-10, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
I remember really loving the colors in the dvd version of Hard Candy. This is an immediate upgrade for me.
I'm still amazed to this day how damn good the DVD looked on my HD DVD A1. I was upset when Lionsgate didn't release a Blu-ray of it at the time (or when Ellen Page hit it bit with X-Men III, Juno etc.). The Australian BD is wonderful, but or $10, I'll be getting the US one as well.
Old 08-28-10, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I just noticed in the new release thread that BB will also have Wonderland (Val Kilmer) exclusive until 10/5. I'll definitely be picking that up if it's $10.
How is the film? I'm familiar with the Wonderland killings (taking place in my backyard) but never got around to seeing the film. Worth a blind buy for $10?
Old 08-28-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The BDs all seem to have the DVD extras, FYI.
Old 08-28-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner
The BDs all seem to have the DVD extras, FYI.
Even Open water? Don't know if Open Water 2 had any extras since I've never watched it. Is it any good? I still have Open Water with BB bonus disc that I picked up for under $5.
Old 08-28-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How is the film? I'm familiar with the Wonderland killings (taking place in my backyard) but never got around to seeing the film. Worth a blind buy for $10?
IMHO it was pretty good. I think it was one of Val Kilmer's better preformances on par with Tombstone. I'm not sure it is the kind of movie I'd watch more than once though.
The first pressings of the DVD came with a 2nd disc with a real life documentary on the character he played - http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4735. Wonder if that would be included on the BD?
Old 08-28-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the film. It was a blind buy for me on DVD in WM's $5 bin. Kilmer is fantastic, and Lisa Kudrow actually turns in a pretty decent dramatic performance as well. Definitely worth $10 on Blu.
Old 08-28-10, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sotra
IMHO it was pretty good. I think it was one of Val Kilmer's better preformances on par with Tombstone. I'm not sure it is the kind of movie I'd watch more than once though.
The first pressings of the DVD came with a 2nd disc with a real life documentary on the character he played - http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4735. Wonder if that would be included on the BD?
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I love the film. It was a blind buy for me on DVD in WM's $5 bin. Kilmer is fantastic, and Lisa Kudrow actually turns in a pretty decent dramatic performance as well. Definitely worth $10 on Blu.
Thanks, I'll grab it tomorrow. Shame that 1 Hour doc likely won't be included on the BD.
Old 08-28-10, 10:03 PM

I'll pick up Blair Witch too if it has special features.

So for me:

Wonderland
Blair Witch
Hard Candy

Will there be any other surprises tomorrow, or do we pretty much have the full list?
Old 08-29-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well this sucks, the sale prices are all online now but it doesnt give you a instore pick up option in checkout. (except anchorman) when you type in each title indivudaly it shows the store has it but in check out you can only select shipping and for all the titles i want shipping comes to 15.00
(before they added the sale prices in checkout did allow you to select store pickup)
this sucks looks like i will need to be at my local bestbuy by open tommorow to ensure i am able to pick up all the titles i want.
Old 08-29-10, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also saw Bad Lieutenant ($10) on the Best Buy Exclusive List. Looks like High Tension and Wonderland are both only $8, with Hard Candy at $10.
Old 08-29-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best Buy's website now lists 8/31 as the release date for all of the titles and not 8/29. Wonder what's going on?

My store told me Sunday, but it looks like I'm going to have to call first.
Old 08-29-10, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Best Buy's website now lists 8/31 as the release date for all of the titles and not 8/29. Wonder what's going on?

My store told me Sunday, but it looks like I'm going to have to call first.
I am wondering to. And it figures all the employees who post on the various forums are of course not online this time of night it appears to ask if they have heard if the date has pushed back.

when i went in yesterday and asked how many the local one had instock of specific titles they said between 15-20 depending on what ones i asked about. and the employee did say sunday, I am going down in the morning anyways if for no other reason anchorman does show up as availble for tommorow. but iam not going to be to thrilled if its tuesday now.
whats the point of that big bold availble sunday font, if they just decide to push back two days on most of the titles.
Old 08-29-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they dont have them out, I will probably try to politely reason with one of the regular movie dept employees,( since the discs are actually in stock at the store, ) to get the titles that are atleast in the ad since the ad says sunday. and since quite a few stores have allready been selling them for a few days allready.
Old 08-29-10, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will there be any other surprises tomorrow, or do we pretty much have the full list?
From the new release thread (poll):

Exclusives:

* 2001 Maniacs (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy – The Rich Mahogany Edition (Best Buy – Until January 2011)
* Bad Lieutenant (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* The Blair Witch Project (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* Deep Blue Sea (Best Buy – Until TBD)
* Hard Candy (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* High Tension (Haute tension) (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* House: Season Six (Best Buy – Bonus Disc)
* Martin Scorsese Collection: The Departed/Goodfellas/The Aviator (Best Buy – Existing Discs, New Packaging – Until TBD)
* Oliver Stone Collection: Natural Born Killers/Any Given Sunday/Alexander: The Director’s Cut (Best Buy – Existing Discs, New Packaging – Until TBD)
* Open Water/Open Water 2: Adrift Double Feature (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* The Score (Best Buy – Until TBD)
* Secretary (Best Buy – Until October 5)
* Wonderland (2003) (Best Buy – Until October 5)
Old 08-29-10, 08:20 AM

Hmmm. The 8/31 and no in store pickup thing makes me think I'm gonna drive out there and they won't have them. Weird.
Old 08-29-10, 08:22 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Hmmm. The 8/31 and no in store pickup thing makes me think I'm gonna drive out there and they won't have them. Weird.
they probably won't, contacted BB's toll free number and was informed that all the exclusives were pushed back to the 31st as of this morning. the website still hasn't updated all of them yet but 95% of the exclusives new date have been updated on the site.
Old 08-29-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Won't be able to get out to Best Buy until Tuesday anyway, but I was still considering a spontaneous trip today for the hell of it. It would've stunk to get out there (nearest location's 35 minutes from here) and find that these things aren't on shelves yet, as their ad states.

Brighter bit of news: High Tension is $8 instead of $10? Even better!
Old 08-29-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So what if the dates changed? As of right now, the availability on Bestbuy.com says 'in store only', which indicates to me I can still buy them at a retail location. They probably want people to go to the store and get these deals instead of waiting to buy them online.

These titles were priced cheap because they probably want people to upgrade from their DVD versions, and stuff like Blair Witch and Hard Candy, people probably wouldn't think twice about upgrading (the average Joe, that is). But the internet is abuzz and now Best Buy most likely wants to make sure some of that action shows up in stores and not on their website. It's a ploy to bring you in. I could be wrong but, makes sense to me.

Their Sunday ad clearly states 'available Sunday', for at least some of those titles. I will be there when they open up this morning.

EDIT: Sorry. If you go to 'check stores' it still shows up as 'in store only'. On the product page itself, it says 'not available' for store pickup. I'm still going though, considering my local Best Buy had these out on the shelves a week ago.
Old 08-29-10, 09:15 AM

I doubt they would make a last minute change when the ad says Sunday, but I'm wondering if the ad was a mistake all along. If anyone goes today, let us know how you made out.
Old 08-29-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll let you all know. I'm bringing a receipt to have the price dropped on High Tension, which I paid for last week. I'm also going to pick up BWP and Hard Candy.

Word of warning about the ad: It says 'AVAILABLE SUNDAY' with a little '1' next to the end of where it says 'Sunday'. The '1' on the bottom of the page states that dates are subject to change.

What a load of crap. But, I'll let you know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.