Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Movie Gallery Closings

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie Gallery Closings

I know these stores have been closing for a year now, but i've caught the tail end of it. If you live in SC or NC there is one in Marion, NC that is the last store standing in the state. As of now, closing date is July 18 i think. So there is still some good time. The deals can be pretty amazing, 5.00 blurays and 1.00 DVDs. to get an idea, check out this video we made on the store closing blowout in Spindale, NC. It'll give you an insider look at what you can get.

Since i'm new, i can't post a direct link, but if you go to youtube and type in "spartanburg bluray" you will see our vids (Cackalacky Movies). The video is Spindale store closing. Sorry no direct link, just trying to spread the love.

PS -- there is a part 2. Be sure to watch that, it shows what we ended up with and how much we spent.
Old 07-01-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Movie Gallery Closings

Welcome to the forums. Here's a thought though, like almost everyone else does here why don't you just instead list for us what you got and how much you spent
Old 07-01-10, 12:25 AM

Welcome.

I watched your clips. You guys messed up though.
You paid 7+ for most of you movies.

See the deal is most of these stores (movie gallery and hollywood) are increasing the percent of by 10 each week. The updated pricing occurs on Sundays usually. Once they start the closing process it takes generally 6 to 8 weeks before they hit the magic $2 blus.

I have been to 5 mg/hwv around middle TN area and they all went 80% to 90% off with all blus $2 and all dvd $1 or less.

I have picked up around 100 blus so far with some to keep and some to sell (they get 6 to 10 around here so I make money on them).
There are four more stores within 20 miles that are just starting to close so I should be able to score some more.

You just gotta be patient and find stores in rural small towns if possible where the people still go, "what's a blu-ray"
Old 07-01-10, 12:55 AM

Well, here's what happened. The titles i paid 7.50 for were titles that I really really wanted and in some cases would I have paid full retail for. It was down to 70%, so i figured why take a chance. We consulted amazon in store and in most cases it was still a far better deal than a used copy plus 2.99 shipping (another bonus being i was able to check the disc and artwork, all were in pristine condition). Plus, I snagged a few titles for 5 bucks that were on my wishlist.

Marion is a different story. Since I have all the titles i MUST have, I'm waiting until the day before/final day to clean up. And, you're correct, final day will most likely be 90% off on blus, with 80% a couple of days before. DVDs will be down to a buck for core collection a week before closing, so we may take a trip up just for that before they get picked over.

All of the surrounding stores have shipped their titles to Marion. It's the last store in the state. They're getting boxes in every day. I plan on getting some killer deals on ps3 games as well.

We have a video for Marion going up in a day or two.
Old 07-01-10, 01:02 AM

Thank you for the welcome, Schloob1.
Old 07-01-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$7.50 is still a decent price as long as it was for must have titles as you say. I know up here in Chicagoland there was no chance of seeing the prices that you spoke of cortan on decent titles due to collectors and or re-sellers picking them well over before that pricepoint. All that was left were the titles you could get on their website right now and at the same price.
Old 07-01-10, 09:15 AM

Yeah, I had no problem shelling out for District 9, Moon, Bad Lieutenant, A Serious Man, The Wrestler...i didn't want to take that chance on someone swooping in and liquidating the place. For any of you SC/NC members, the Marion store is stocked up with many of the same titles as the Spindale store was. I'll make a list of blus I saw there soon.
Old 07-02-10, 05:30 AM

Ok, the video of our trip to the Movie Gallery in Marion is up. We go inside to show you the selection of blurays. There's still time, it doesn't close until the 18th. But, check out the video, it has all the info on prices, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5pjzFr-59U
Old 07-02-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed the videos KrazyJason. My friend and I actually plan on making the trip there tomorrow. I've never been to Marion so what would you say the traveling time is from Spartanburg?

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 07-02-10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 12:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The store near my house closed down last week. I stopped in on Sunday and picked up...
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • Baby Mama
  • Quarantine
  • Up in the Air
  • Doomsday
  • Let the Right One In
  • Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
  • 28 Weeks Later
  • Burn After Reading
  • Appaloosa
  • Ghost Town
  • Knowing
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Parks and Recreation: Season 1

for $23! The selection was limited, but I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 07-02-10, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
I really enjoyed the videos KrazyJason. My friend and I actually plan on making the trip there tomorrow. I've never been to Marion so what would you say the traveling time is from Spartanburg?
Thank you. The drive time depends. I've been up there twice. Once following a garmin, and once following a tom-tom. they both took different directions, but bottom line it's going to be a good hour and a 1/2 i think. maybe less depending on traffic and if you don't stop.

Keep calling every other day (if you don't go tomorrow). They drop prices randomly, so you never know. It's kind of up to the whims of the liquidator they brought in. Btw, if you want to make a deal on some shelving or fixtures, he's the man to talk to. I THINK his name is Gregg (i would think he would be there tomorrow, i'm sure it'll be a busy day). He swung me a sweet deal on a lit open sign for 40 bucks.

Good luck on your bluray/DVD hunt. If you have anymore questions, i'll tell you everything i know about that store. And if you don't mind, post a comment on my video listing the titles you pick up and how much they were.
Old 07-02-10, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
The store near my house closed down last week. I stopped in on Sunday and picked up...
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • Baby Mama
  • Quarantine
  • Up in the Air
  • Doomsday
  • Let the Right One In
  • Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
  • 28 Weeks Later
  • Burn After Reading
  • Appaloosa
  • Ghost Town
  • Knowing
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Parks and Recreation: Season 1

for $23! The selection was limited, but I'm happy with the purchase.
Are those BD, DVD, or combination? either way, great finds. I'm jealous of Let the Right One In. I missed out on that one at the Spindale store, ended up with Twilight instead (how suck is that?), it was a whirlwind and i don't really know what happened, but can you imagine?
Old 07-02-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by KrazyJason
Are those BD, DVD, or combination? either way, great finds. I'm jealous of Let the Right One In. I missed out on that one at the Spindale store, ended up with Twilight instead (how suck is that?), it was a whirlwind and i don't really know what happened, but can you imagine?
Gotta be some combination of both, as "Parks & Recreation" doesn't exist on Blu-ray. If all the rest of those are Blu-rays though, I'm extremely jealous. If they're DVDs... I'm only really jealous.
Old 07-02-10, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
Gotta be some combination of both, as "Parks & Recreation" doesn't exist on Blu-ray. If all the rest of those are Blu-rays though, I'm extremely jealous. If they're DVDs... I'm only really jealous.
Right, good way of putting it, i agree. There's nothing more exciting than getting your hands on a 2.00 bluray or what have you. Better than sex. Well, depends.
Old 07-03-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you. The drive time depends. I've been up there twice. Once following a garmin, and once following a tom-tom. they both took different directions, but bottom line it's going to be a good hour and a 1/2 i think. maybe less depending on traffic and if you don't stop.

Keep calling every other day (if you don't go tomorrow). They drop prices randomly, so you never know. It's kind of up to the whims of the liquidator they brought in. Btw, if you want to make a deal on some shelving or fixtures, he's the man to talk to. I THINK his name is Gregg (i would think he would be there tomorrow, i'm sure it'll be a busy day). He swung me a sweet deal on a lit open sign for 40 bucks.

Good luck on your bluray/DVD hunt. If you have anymore questions, i'll tell you everything i know about that store. And if you don't mind, post a comment on my video listing the titles you pick up and how much they were.
Thanks for the info and I will be sure to post my pick-ups.
Old 07-03-10, 12:06 PM

All blu-rays, except Parks and Rec(which was in the blu-ray section, maybe hidden for someone).

I was very happy. Wish I had gotten there earlier, but didn't really know about the closing until that day.

At the time I got there the DVDs were 99 cents and most blu-rays were $1.50. Some newer blu-rays were a little more.

Last edited by MrTerrific; 07-03-10 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
All blu-rays, except Parks and Rec(which was in the blu-ray section, maybe hidden for someone).

I was very happy. Wish I had gotten there earlier, but didn't really know about the closing until that day.

At the time I got there the DVDs were 99 cents and most blu-rays were $1.50. Some newer blu-rays were a little more.
WOW. 1.50. I hope to get that lucky on this store closing. Do you buy bluray cases and switch out the artwork? When i did that for my MG titles they looked absolutely brand new. Can't beat these deals.
Old 07-03-10, 09:45 PM

$1.50 Blu-ray. Wow that beats what I have found even on the last day of a store being open. Nice!

I always throw it in a blu-ray case and yep it is just like new at that point since all the blu-rays I have found have been flawless. You've got to love that coating these use on these discs compared to dvd.

BTW if you have a Blockbuster corporate store around they usually have spare blu-ray cases laying around and will give you some if you ask nicely. That is where I get my cases to put these in.

Tomorrow being Sunday the discount should go up another % on any stores that are still open. I found 6 within 30 miles of middle TN area that I am hitting up tomorrow.

Good luck to all in your quests for blu-rays on the cheap!
Old 07-04-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dammit, I have one just to the north of me and i just kept driving by it not even thinking to stop in. Looks like I will have to next time it's open.
Old 07-04-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I managed to get some .50 cent Blu-ray's from a closing HV already.
Old 07-04-10, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
I managed to get some .50 cent Blu-ray's from a closing HV already.
My God, lol. Please list the titles.
Old 07-04-10, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by cortan
$1.50 Blu-ray. Wow that beats what I have found even on the last day of a store being open. Nice!

I always throw it in a blu-ray case and yep it is just like new at that point since all the blu-rays I have found have been flawless. You've got to love that coating these use on these discs compared to dvd.

BTW if you have a Blockbuster corporate store around they usually have spare blu-ray cases laying around and will give you some if you ask nicely. That is where I get my cases to put these in.

Tomorrow being Sunday the discount should go up another % on any stores that are still open. I found 6 within 30 miles of middle TN area that I am hitting up tomorrow.

Not to mention, some of these country stores probably have never rented some of these titles, so in some cases they are literally brand new. But yeah, the coating is immune to basic wear and tear. Every title i got was pristine, save for finger smudges (easily removed with microfiber cloth).

And thanks for the great tip about getting cases at BB!
Old 07-04-10, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by cortan

Btw, please list the titles you pick up. And if you don't mind, list them in the comment section of the video that started the thread. We're trying to spread the love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5pjzFr-59U
Old 07-04-10, 06:27 AM

These are the Blus I got in Saranac Lake, NY for $5.99 apiece. Also got a good stack of recent new release DVDs for 4.99 each.

OldBoy
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Taken
Watchmen: Director's Cut

Oh yeah...KrazyJason....that was a neat litle road trip vid....going to these hill towns sure is fun!

Last edited by cheapdvdho; 07-04-10 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-04-10, 09:02 AM

WOW. 1.50. I hope to get that lucky on this store closing. Do you buy bluray cases and switch out the artwork? When i did that for my MG titles they looked absolutely brand new. Can't beat these deals.
Haha! My friends were making fun of me because while we were watching "The Crazies" I was putting the artwork in new blu ray cases. They do look brand new. Those cases from Movie Gallery are all sticky and I couldn't bear putting them in my collection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.