Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Old 03-09-10, 10:44 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,813
Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Well that's it many are now $6.99 and the rest seem to be $9.99.

This is previously viewed blu-Ray.
whotony is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 10:53 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

What do they have in stock lately?
rfduncan is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:09 AM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

DAMNIT! You beat me. I just came on here to post about this. But yep all $9.99 or $6.99 at my local stores. Also the manager at one of the stores told me that they are going to start to put out more previously viewed Blu-rays. So we should start seeing full tables soon just like we so with the DVDs. He didn't know about the prices yet. But I'm hoping at least 2 for $20.00.
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:19 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 402
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Well that's it many are now $6.99 and the rest seem to be $9.99.

This is previously viewed blu-Ray.
In DVD cases or BD cases?

TLK
The Lizard King is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:26 AM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
In DVD cases or BD cases?

TLK
dvd
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:28 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,002
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Damn, I was just in there on Sun at it was still $17 each or 2 for $25. Is there a sign, or are they just ringing up low?

I may get some. Last time they had a decent sale for Blu-Ray I just bought some cheap replacement blu cases online

Last edited by stingermck; 03-09-10 at 11:31 AM.
stingermck is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:29 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 402
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by dkedvd View Post
dvd
Then I'll pass. Thanks, anyway.

TLK
The Lizard King is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:32 AM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
Then I'll pass. Thanks, anyway.

TLK
Really? Just because they are in DVD cases? Ha! They still come with the original artwork. You can always replace the cases at some point.

Last edited by dkedvd; 03-09-10 at 11:34 AM.
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:33 AM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Damn, I was just in there on Sun at it was still $17 each or 2 for $25. Is there a sign, or are they just ringing up low?

I may get some. Last time they had a decent sale for Blu-Ray I just bought some cheap replacement blu cases online
At both the stores I went to today the 2 for $25 signs were taken down and the Blus all had either $9.99 or $6.99 sticker on them.
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 11:59 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 402
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by dkedvd View Post
Really? Just because they are in DVD cases? Ha! They still come with the original artwork. You can always replace the cases at some point.
Well, if that's the case, then maybe I'll look into them. The clear blue cases can be found online pretty cheaply.

TLK
The Lizard King is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 12:02 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,518
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

They come with the original artwork? Every Blockbuster BD I've seen has had the printed artwork that fits a DVD case, so that's news to me. Can somebody elaborate. I'm kind of interested now, but not if I have to print off custom artwork AND buy empty cases.
Kory is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 12:13 PM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by Kory View Post
They come with the original artwork? Every Blockbuster BD I've seen has had the printed artwork that fits a DVD case, so that's news to me. Can somebody elaborate. I'm kind of interested now, but not if I have to print off custom artwork AND buy empty cases.
Nope. Look closer. What you are seeing is the fitted DVD size blockbuster artwork that says "Blu-ray" up at the top. Then the original Blu-ray artwork is placed over top of that fitted artwork and slid down towards the bottom so that you can see the "Blu-ray" logo and know that you are renting a Blu-ray rather than a DVD. So in other words two artworks. Well... One artwork and one "Blu-ray" logo piece of paper. LOL. I though it was all one as well the first time I look at them but later on saw that it was in fact two. Or at least that's how it is at every Blockbuster I've been to (20 or so since BD).

Last edited by dkedvd; 03-09-10 at 12:20 PM.
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 01:01 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,518
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by dkedvd View Post
Nope. Look closer. What you are seeing is the fitted DVD size blockbuster artwork that says "Blu-ray" up at the top. Then the original Blu-ray artwork is placed over top of that fitted artwork and slid down towards the bottom so that you can see the "Blu-ray" logo and know that you are renting a Blu-ray rather than a DVD. So in other words two artworks. Well... One artwork and one "Blu-ray" logo piece of paper. LOL. I though it was all one as well the first time I look at them but later on saw that it was in fact two. Or at least that's how it is at every Blockbuster I've been to (20 or so since BD).
Oh, sweet. Thanks man. I'll have to go check this out now, as there are definitely some I'd be interested in for $6.99 or even $9.99.
Kory is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 01:52 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by dkedvd View Post
Nope. Look closer. What you are seeing is the fitted DVD size blockbuster artwork that says "Blu-ray" up at the top. Then the original Blu-ray artwork is placed over top of that fitted artwork and slid down towards the bottom so that you can see the "Blu-ray" logo and know that you are renting a Blu-ray rather than a DVD.
This is right. And my PV Blu-rays of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Momma Mia! now in replacement Blu-ray cases from eBay can prove.

So no one's got any idea of what is currently or potentially stocked as PV?
rfduncan is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 01:54 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,200
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

I'm going later so I'll try to make a mental note of what is available.
zekeburger1979 is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 02:45 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 452
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Question: How does Blockbuster receive their Blu-Rays? They have the discs and the artwork, are the Blu-Ray cases stacked up in the back somewhere? Has anyone ever had any luck getting those possibly pristene cases?
efordvt is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 03:00 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,200
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by efordvt View Post
Question: How does Blockbuster receive their Blu-Rays? They have the discs and the artwork, are the Blu-Ray cases stacked up in the back somewhere? Has anyone ever had any luck getting those possibly pristene cases?
I'll ask them when I go in a little bit.
zekeburger1979 is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 03:04 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,813
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

MOst come in the same as a dvd, that is a regular dvd lockable case with the blu ray art sheet in the case.
I've heard that some stores, probably not corp stores also get the regular blu-ray cases.
whotony is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 03:04 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by efordvt View Post
Question: How does Blockbuster receive their Blu-Rays? They have the discs and the artwork, are the Blu-Ray cases stacked up in the back somewhere? Has anyone ever had any luck getting those possibly pristene cases?
No. They receive them in the standard DVD cases. I'm friends with a manager there and was hoping to score some free cases but he told me the bad news..
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 03:33 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,659
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Booo!!
Was in my local store earlier today, and all the BDs were still labeled with high (16.99) price stickers and the horribly outdated "2 for $25" signs.....
I bet there would probably be a couple I'd grab at a $6.99 price point (I have plenty of replacement cases already, so no worries there).....it is about time they drop their used/previously rented prices, as even $12.50 apiece is WAY too much for BDs IMO....especially when it is titles you can pick up NEW for $10 or under at Walmart/Costco/etc.....
WMAangel is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 03:56 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 208
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

This sounds totally rockin'. As for the stock, my local BBV in San Francisco has loads of the past few years releases including:

Trick 'r Treat, Baby Mama, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Incredible Hulk, Julie and Julia, Golden Compass, Dark Knight, Benjamin Button, Mama Mia.

More and more being added. They are all priced 16.99 to 19.99 I believe.
The biggest drawback for me is the covers. I've noticed that BB loves to take the BR covers, glue them to a DVD size cover, and stick them in DVD cases. It may be the sort of booger type of glue, that is just peeled off, but certainly leaves a mark on the BR cover. I
I may go down there to double check prices, and title soon though. Thanks OP!

Last edited by Quezacotl02; 03-09-10 at 04:00 PM.
Quezacotl02 is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 04:14 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by Quezacotl02 View Post
I've noticed that BB loves to take the BR covers, glue them to a DVD size cover, and stick them in DVD cases.
I've never seen anything glued. They just shove in another insert behind the Blu-ray cover to fill out the DVD case size difference.
rfduncan is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 04:16 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 1,033
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
I've never seen anything glued. They just shove in another insert behind the Blu-ray cover to fill out the DVD case size difference.
Yea, I've seen both. I think that is done in-store. So it all depends on the managers I guess.
dkedvd is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 04:24 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,518
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

Dammit. Just tried one Blockbuster, and no such luck.
Kory is offline  
Old 03-09-10, 04:27 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,200
Re: Blockuster pv blu, many ringing at $6.99

There was no signage about this price drop up at the one closest to my house. The 2 for $25 signs were still up. Take what you want up to the counter and have the clerk scan them. I had the guy scan about 12 and here's what I remember:

$12.99
The Bank Job
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

$9.99
Changeling
Hancock

$6.99
Get Smart
Milk
Sunshine Cleaning
Zack and Miri Make a Porno

I bought the $6.99 ones.

I forgot to ask about the cases, but it looks like I didn't have to worry.

The clerk told me that Tuesday is price drop day.
zekeburger1979 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.