Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about gift Exchanges with No Receipt

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Since it's fast approaching Christmas time, I assume that many of you will be getting DVD's that you already own as gifts and will probably not get a gift receipt. What is the policy for all the B&M's on Holiday Gift exchanges with no receipt.

Target
Wal Mart
Circuit City etc.

I heard Target only allows two no-receipt exchanges per year valued at no more than $20 total. Is that correct?

Is there any stores that will not accept exchanges at all without a receipt?
Old 12-16-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For Circuit City, if it was truly a gift that was purchased with a credit card, if you know the name on the credit card, CC will give you store credit based on the credit card transaction price (supposedly they can find the transaction by searching on the name on the credit card used for payment).
Old 12-16-07, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart will let you return anything in any condition.
Old 12-16-07, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Even used food?
Old 12-16-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've had no problem returning stuff (new, in package) to WM with no receipt, the one thing I make sure is that they are still selling the item. Returned one thing after two years. After Christmas last year, they were so busy, I returned something that was <10 bucks and they didn't even fool with entering data in the computer or checking my ID, they just gave me cash back.
Why do some people have issues with no-receipt returns? Obviously the scumbags who steal stuff then return it for gift card, that's straight out wrong. But though I think of myself as a "good person", I don't see anything wrong with returning something (in new saleable condition) to a store that sells it, especially if they give me a gift card for it which means of course I'll spend the money there (and I spend thousands at WM already anyway). Even "buy low, sell high", buying something at store A for 5$, then returning it no-receipt at store B for 20$, I don't really see anything wrong with that, with the exception that if they call you on it, you don't act like an entitlement-laden jerkwad and pitch a fit.
Anyway, I think WM has the most liberal easy-to-use no-receipt return policy.
Old 12-16-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
So Wal Mart is my best bet? I've gone to Target in the past with no receipt exchanges, but I guess they are really cracking down cutting the limit to 2 returns/ $20 per year.
Old 12-16-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Last time I returned something at Target with no receipt, not only did I get the lowest price in the past 30 or 60 days (a policy I can understand), and store credit, it had to be used that day in the same department as the item I returned (a DVD, which translated to "media" - DVD, CD, maybe books or videogames as well).
Now their signs are even stricter, "you MUST have a receipt or gift receipt to return an item". WM's probably the best.
Old 12-16-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
So Wal Mart is my best bet? I've gone to Target in the past with no receipt exchanges, but I guess they are really cracking down cutting the limit to 2 returns/ $20 per year.
Borders is by far the easiest place to do a receiptless return. They never ask for ID, so they cannot track you if you give a fake name(even if you use your real name, they don't record your driver's license number so I still doubt that they are tracking your return history). You can do returns all year long, not just after Xmas. The only thing that is required is that the store that you return it to has the title currently in stock(they will look it up on their computer to check to see if it's in their inventory). You can check an individual store's inventory at this site- www.bordersstores.com . They will give you a gift card that you can use online at Amazon. However, I heard that Borders is going to start their own online site early next year and will break their arrangement with Amazon(you might want to use up your credit quickly because I doubt that the prices at the new site will be cheaper than that at Amazon). I hope this helps.
Old 12-17-07, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
My girlfriend works at WalMart, and I just had this discussion with her a few days ago. They will only allow a few returns a year. It has to be items they sell (you can't get away with that anymore), and it can't be something that would have a serial number printed on the receipt. This usually applies to pricier electronics, but would be difficult to know if you don't have the receipt.
Old 12-17-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Borders is by far the easiest place to do a receiptless return. They never ask for ID, so they cannot track you if you give a fake name(even if you use your real name, they don't record your driver's license number so I still doubt that they are tracking your return history). You can do returns all year long, not just after Xmas. The only thing that is required is that the store that you return it to has the title currently in stock(they will look it up on their computer to check to see if it's in their inventory). You can check an individual store's inventory at this site- www.bordersstores.com . They will give you a gift card that you can use online at Amazon. However, I heard that Borders is going to start their own online site early next year and will break their arrangement with Amazon(you might want to use up your credit quickly because I doubt that the prices at the new site will be cheaper than that at Amazon). I hope this helps.
Does it have to be instock or just carried by them? Because I was actually returning some stuff there today.
Old 12-17-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Does it have to be instock or just carried by them? Because I was actually returning some stuff there today.
It's supposed to be in-stock at the time of the return.
Old 12-17-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by domino harvey

What is No for $500 Alex?

Unless you haven't been to a Wal-Mart in the past 10 years.
Old 12-17-07, 11:16 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Funk
Even used food?
I did that once. I orderd chicken livers at the deli nand then was going to eat one before I headed off t the Sam's down the street. The girl in the deli gave me gizzards. So I spit it back into the bag and stood in line 10 minutes just to tell them they needed to train the deli workers better. I was shocked the manager told them to refund my money. I sure hope they didn't just put them back into the warming trays
Old 12-17-07, 11:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I always save all my "gifts" from "the back of a truck" that accumulate until the end of the year in order to return them to the stores with liberal return policies this time of year. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 12-17-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
However, I heard that Borders is going to start their own online site early next year and will break their arrangement with Amazon(you might want to use up your credit quickly because I doubt that the prices at the new site will be cheaper than that at Amazon). I hope this helps.
I would like to hear more about this. Anybody have any links?
Old 12-17-07, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Tis what I heard. My friend just returned $600 worth of Graphic Novels to Borders with no issues. Insane.
Old 12-17-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
From this very forum-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...12&postcount=6
Old 12-17-07, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I better return this stack of sealed DVDs fast then...
Old 12-17-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I better return this stack of sealed DVDs fast then...
I'm almost tapped out on my Borders GCs with all of these BR and HD BOGO sales.
Old 12-17-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was hoping for something a little more recent. Maybe with a Borders.com drop-dead date. I've seen end of Decmeber (from a lot of early-2007 postings) and sometime in spring/Q1 2008 (in September/October postings).
Old 12-20-07, 07:12 AM

does anyone know what Barnes & Nobles return policy is?
Old 12-20-07, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by bearkiss
does anyone know what Barnes & Nobles return policy is?
Not the whole policy, but I once returned a Bargain Book there without the price sticker. They looked it up in their system, saw that they still carried it (as a Bargain Book), and gave me a gift card for the selling (Bargain) price + local tax. No expiration on the gift card.

I don't recall if I actually had to fill anything out.
Old 12-20-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

B&N wouldn't give me a GC without a receipt. They agreed to mail me a GC or let me do an in-store exchange to the exact amount (and pay the difference).

What's up with requiring GC's be mailed. They said it would take 4-6 weeks. Pass.
Old 12-21-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Yeah, Borders is pretty cool.

I returned an extra Viva Pedro Almodovar box set that I had gotten from Columbiahouse for $28. Borders gave me $128 in store credit for it.

I used the credit on Amazon.com to purchase two Bladerunner briefcases.

So I ended up with two Bladerunner briefcases for $28.
Old 12-21-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Got credit for a Blu-Ray at BB... it still had the BB sticker on it which probably helped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.