Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I finally got around to watching all of Interviews with Monster Girls. Frankly, a little dull and feels like its potential wasn't fully realized during the first season. If you are into slice-of-life anime but with various monster types getting thrown in the mix, it's a show for you. I watched because it seemed to have a lot of buzz when it made its debut. It's a small show that has almost no supporting characters beyond the main characters.

It scrupulously avoids any fan service despite a succubus being one of the lead characters. That may be one of the reasons why I found it on the boring side.
I keep on mixing this show up with Interspecies Reviewers and thinking "what, no fan service" but that's an entirely different show.
Old 05-07-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I keep on mixing this show up with Interspecies Reviewers and thinking "what, no fan service" but that's an entirely different show.
The title Interviews With Monster Girls seems to lend itself to ecchi content, but nope. The whole show revolves around an adult male teacher mentoring young female high school students. I think the anime director realized he needed to spice things up at the last minute, because the series has a very small post-credits scene at the end implying more fan service material in any future season.
Old 05-15-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I started watching City Hunter as Crunchyroll has the whole series plus the Specials and Movie. I have only watched the live action with Jackie Chan and I didn't find it very good.
Old 05-15-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am watching "Ao-chan Can't Study" on blu-ray that I got today, I just bought a bunch of animes that I'll be watching soon.

"Bloom Into You"
"Release the Spyce"

"Domestic Girlfriend"
"Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?"
"Golden Time" Dubbed
"To Love Ru" Season 1 Dubbed

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-15-20 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I watched the first couple episodes of Listeners, one of the current Hulu simulcasts, and I may drop it already. The art and animation leave a lot to be desired, and the premise is a mess. It borrows a few ideas from AKB0048 (including "a world without music" and the protagonists catching a train out of town to embark on a new music-related career), and throws in some sort of undead named Earless who have largely destroyed the world, yet can apparently be easily defeated by Players who plug themselves into guitar amps which convert into mecha that fight with soundwaves.
Old 05-22-20, 01:08 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm really enjoying Princess Connect! Re: Dive. It's from the same people that did KonoSuba. If you liked that, then you'll probably like this one too. The artwork is great and it's very funny.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/princess-connect-re-dive
Old 05-22-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found Doreiku: The Animation a very compelling thriller for anime. It's about individuals gaining control over others but becoming a master opens yourself up to risk. The series cleverly balances the natural inclinations a person might have with absolute authority while grounding it in real world concerns.

Gave Promare a shot from Studio TRIGGER, probably most famous for Kill la Kill. Incredible animation and decent enough action-adventure premise set in a near future with fire-wielding mutants.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/05/15/pro...lu-ray-review/
Old 05-24-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched "Bloom Into You" and "Release the Spyce" so far this weekend, I am glad I bought the premium Box Sets for these animes. I like the animes a lot more with the new English dubs.
Old 05-25-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched "Golden Time" with its new English dub. The second half of the series got really interesting, I didn't think I was going to be able to watch the whole series in one day. I find Golden Time one of the top Romance Drama animes now that I re-watched it with an English dub, When the anime first got released it never left a huge impression with its sub only release I even forgot what happened in the second half of the series.
Golden Time might even be my top favorite Romance Drama anime, when I think of others in my collection like Clannad, Kanon, Toradora, Just Because, and others
Spoiler:
This is another anime that deals with amnesia, like a lot of other Dramas. lol
If it was me at the end of the anime I would have chosen Linda instead of Koko, When Banri needed the most support when his memories started to come back Koko distanced herself from him.

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-26-20 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never heard the English dub, but I greatly enjoyed Golden Time when I saw it. Probably should spoiler tag that last line.
Old 05-27-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Been watching Gleipnir and Tower of God this season, but not much else. Doesn't help that most of the FUNimation Simuldubs are still halted.
Old 05-27-20, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take what I said in my last post back, I am watching Toradora its been so long since I seen this. It sucks you in the very first episode and it makes you want to watch the next episodes.
Old 05-29-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been watching the City Hunter episodes and I can see (a little bit) why the Live Action movie was such a challenge to adapt. Maybe a better script writer, director and cast would have helped but the source material itself it's troublesome to begin with. The groping doesn't come off too offensive but it's offensive nonetheless.
Old 05-29-20, 06:45 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts

The entire City Hunter anime franchise is streaming on Crunchyroll https://www.crunchyroll.com/city-hunter (United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa). Seasons 1 & 2 are up to 1080p. Latest movie Shinjuku Private Eyes is subscriber only.

I remember watching the various DVDs from ADV had released. Seasons 1 & 2 (so far) will look tons better. It will be fun to revisit this franchise again.

And the live-action movie is streaming @ ShoutFactoryTV : Watch City Hunter &
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-31-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, Goblin Slayer is great. Fantastic protagonist and rare for anime. A fascinating deconstruction of being an adventurer fighting monsters.
Old 05-31-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Wow, Goblin Slayer is great. Fantastic protagonist and rare for anime. A fascinating deconstruction of being an adventurer fighting monsters.
With a side of monster rape.
Old 06-01-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
With a side of monster rape.
True, but it's handled tastefully.
Old 06-13-20, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've binged most of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime this past week. Decent, if a little bit disposable. I don't see myself ever watching the show again, but the heavily serialized storytelling is well done with little padding.

Fantasy adventure RPG action from the monsters' perspective. A human is reborn as a slime monster on a fantasy planet. Vaguely similar shows include Log Horizon and a few others. The show does start running out of steam after 18 episodes or so.
Old 06-14-20, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I've binged most of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime this past week. Decent, if a little bit disposable. I don't see myself ever watching the show again, but the heavily serialized storytelling is well done with little padding.

Fantasy adventure RPG action from the monsters' perspective. A human is reborn as a slime monster on a fantasy planet. Vaguely similar shows include Log Horizon and a few others. The show does start running out of steam after 18 episodes or so.
There is a spin-off and a season 2 both planned, but delayed due to covid-19.
There is also 5 OVAs announced.... 3 of which have been released so far.
Old 06-14-20, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
The entire City Hunter anime franchise is streaming on Crunchyroll https://www.crunchyroll.com/city-hunter (United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa). Seasons 1 & 2 are up to 1080p. Latest movie Shinjuku Private Eyes is subscriber only.

I remember watching the various DVDs from ADV had released. Seasons 1 & 2 (so far) will look tons better. It will be fun to revisit this franchise again.

And the live-action movie is streaming @ ShoutFactoryTV : Watch City Hunter & https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVCDC7N.
I'm in the middle of Season 1 and loves watching 1 or 2 episodes per day because if I watch more episodes than that, it gets to be too repetitive. However, I wouldn't recommend the Live Action film and to stay away from it as far as you can. Horrible, horrible movie and I'm a Jackie Chan fan.
Old 06-14-20, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise: A Brand New Day the other day on blu-ray I also own Liz and the Blue Bird on blu-ray. I never saw the TV series before but I just finished watching season 1, if only the seasons would get dubbed then I would be willing to buy them. Their are two compilation films one for each season, I wonder what the chances of Eleven Arts licensing them would be.
Old 06-15-20, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Blu-ray for Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise: A Brand New Day is widely available across the country at local Walmarts. I've seen it stocked at several different locations. Haven't watched the movie yet. Isn't the television series fairly expensive on Blu-ray?
Old 06-15-20, 06:24 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts

Isn't the television series fairly expensive on Blu-ray?
Yes if you compared to likes of Funimation and Sentai. Season 1 was released on 3 Blu-ray sets (Set 1 is OOP). Season 2 was released in 2 Blu-ray sets (said to be lower quality packaging). Both seasons were released by PONYCAN USA and subtitled only.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Blu-ray for Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise: A Brand New Day is widely available across the country at local Walmarts. I've seen it stocked at several different locations. Haven't watched the movie yet. Isn't the television series fairly expensive on Blu-ray?
I finished watching season two last night, I really like this anime. Both seasons are great but I found after each episode of season two I had to watch the next episode right away to see what happens. Like I said if this anime gets dubbed I would be willing to buy it. No way would I buy a 13 episode anime thats released on three sets for about $80 retail price each that only has English Subtitles, and thats just for the first season
Old 06-21-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gave most of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid a watch. I wasn't aware going in of the heavy yuri themes. Despite the likable characters, especially the young Kanna, I had a hard time sitting through the entire series. I only stuck with it because I had made a blind buy on the Blu-ray. One of those cases where the main protagonist isn't particularly likable and exists mostly to set up the surrounding characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.