Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 11:18 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Originally Posted by slop101
I'm kinda looking forward to Sword of the Stranger:

Thoughts?
It was pretty good, I enjoyed it well enough and will purchase the Blu-Ray when it is released.
I enjoyed enough from the theaters to pre-order from TRSI (w/the bonus collector's book).
Old 05-29-09, 11:22 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Originally Posted by Navinabob
First - Any news on FLCL being re-released. EBay has only a few non-bootlegs every so often and they are selling for a small fortune. With something that popular is it licensing issues holding it back or is there some story I don't know about?
No word on a re-release, but I certainly wouldn't consider those on ebay going for a "small fortune" seeing as how they're going at (or even below) MRSP. Retail pricing for each FLCL was $29.99. The entire set at retail would have been approximately $90.00. There are several going for less than that on ebay, if you don't mind use that is.
The Ultimate Collection on the other hand can fetch quite more than $90. It's still up in air of whom will rescue this property. Originally it seems that Bandai Ent. may have a good shot with their relationship with Synch-Point. Only time will tell what happens next.
Old 06-02-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
It's definitely OOP. There aren't that much listings on auction sites. The resell value has been slowly climbing up. It's hard to say if it will go much higher. I would wait a bit more and see what happens. Then again there is always a risk of another studio rescuing this movie.
Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping I can sell or trade it in the near future.
Old 06-03-09, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm done with Ergo Proxy. All I can say is...WTF!?!?!?!
Old 06-04-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm done with Ergo Proxy. All I can say is...WTF!?!?!?!
Yea, that ending was pretty F'ed up. I thought the show could have used another episode or two to explain things better. I’m actually getting ready to rewatch it after not seeing it for about two years. I hope it still holds up; I recall really liking it when I watched it on Fuse.
Old 06-04-09, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

If I ever did watch Ergo again, it would have to be in HD. It is a Funi title so there is a possibility they could release it (I know they have an HD master of this one).
Old 06-05-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a question regarding Samurai X -

I added the series to my Netflix queue and the first disc is "unavailability" but 3 other discs are availablity. It has been a while, so I decided to look up online to watch first disc. The first episode is similar with the movie Trust & Betrayal.

Netflix's description that Samuari X contains 2 episodes each on 4 discs -
Samurai X: Vol. 1: Trust
This disc includes episodes 1-2.

Samurai X: Vol. 2: Betrayal
This disc includes episodes 3-4. Extras include character profiles, screenwriter's notes and the original trailer.

Samurai X: Vol. 3: The Motion Picture
This disc includes episodes 7-9.

Samurai X: Vol. 4: Reflection
This disc includes episodes 11-12. Extras include clean closing animation, production sketches, interviews with the original Japanese voice cast and previews.
So, the first 2 discs are similar with the movie Samuari X: Trust & Betrayal, correct?

And notice in the descriptions about episodes - Why did they skipped episodes 5, 6, and 10? I'm confused...
Old 06-05-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I got a question regarding Samurai X -

I added the series to my Netflix queue and the first disc is "unavailability" but 3 other discs are availablity. It has been a while, so I decided to look up online to watch first disc. The first episode is similar with the movie Trust & Betrayal.

Netflix's description that Samuari X contains 2 episodes each on 4 discs -

So, the first 2 discs are similar with the movie Samuari X: Trust & Betrayal, correct?

And notice in the descriptions about episodes - Why did they skipped episodes 5, 6, and 10? I'm confused...
Those episode listings are wrong. Trust & Betrayal was a OVA, with the first disc having the first two episodes and the other disc having the second two, so that part is right at least(although I'd recommend getting the Trust & Betrayal Director's Cut that has all four episodes edited together into movie form on one disc). Reflections was a separate two-episode OVA, and then The Motion Picture is just like it sounds, a motion picture.

If you're looking for the Samurai X series itself, it was released in the US under it's original title, Rurouni Kenshin. There's about 100 episodes of it, and it's all out on DVD.
Old 06-05-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I already saw Trust & Betrayal Director's Cut and saw the whole Rurouni Kenshin series. So, I guess only remaining are Reflection and Motion Picture.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-09, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already saw Trust & Betrayal Director's Cut and saw the whole Rurouni Kenshin series. So, I guess only remaining are Reflection and Motion Picture.
Do note that the Director's Cut is actually an edited version of the OVAs. It has been letter-boxed from the original 4:3 (but since it was done by Kazuhiro Furuhashi himself it was deceptively called "Director's Cut"). And it was not even done in the same way Funi did DBZ (Funi's edit lost less top and bottom and actually gained some on the sides).

Although it may not be worth a Netflix slot to see the OVAs if you already saw the Director's Cut. I would definitely recommend them over the Director's Cut to anyone who has not seen either yet.
Old 06-06-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Erdrick
Do note that the Director's Cut is actually an edited version of the OVAs. It has been letter-boxed from the original 4:3 (but since it was done by Kazuhiro Furuhashi himself it was deceptively called "Director's Cut"). And it was not even done in the same way Funi did DBZ (Funi's edit lost less top and bottom and actually gained some on the sides).

Although it may not be worth a Netflix slot to see the OVAs if you already saw the Director's Cut. I would definitely recommend them over the Director's Cut to anyone who has not seen either yet.
Well, the problem is Samurai X: Trust (disc #1) is already marked "Unknown" under Availability column. And I have been waiting for it for 3 months. The option is I can just move on to disc #3 and #4 that I have not seen them.
Old 06-16-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
anyone check out the skycrawlers yet?
Just saw it last night... Boy, gotta say that the story is weird - very unique story.

Got to add spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it -
Spoiler:
I couldn't figure out what it's about till they mentioned that they think they were cloned for the war purpose. It's unfortunately that they focused more on main character's surround than the war itself. It would be more interesting if they focus on war and "Teacher." Yes, they did explained about "Teacher" but it left more questions than answer.
Old 06-16-09, 01:42 PM
WTK

Just saw it last night... Boy, gotta say that the story is weird - very unique story.

Got to add spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it -
Spoiler:
I couldn't figure out what it's about till they mentioned that they think they were cloned for the war purpose. It's unfortunately that they focused more on main character's surround than the war itself. It would be more interesting if they focus on war and "Teacher." Yes, they did explained about "Teacher" but it left more questions than answer.
It's definitely unique. I thought it ran way too long. IMO there are better works from Oshii. For those who want a total different spin on the movie, be sure to read Justin Sevakis's review over @ ANN.
Old 06-16-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I was gonna get the Sword of the Stranger blu-ray, but the dvd was on sale for $16, almost half of what they wanted for the blu-ray at $29. I mean, I'd spend a little extra for a blu-ray of something, but not that much more - especially considering that it didn't have any more extras.
Old 06-16-09, 04:32 PM
WTK

I was gonna get the Sword of the Stranger blu-ray, but the dvd was on sale for $16, almost half of what they wanted for the blu-ray at $29. I mean, I'd spend a little extra for a blu-ray of something, but not that much more - especially considering that it didn't have any more extras.
I'm assuming that you're referring to Best Buy. You can pricematch BestBuy.com for the BD release, it's $22.99 (for now) instead of the preprint ad price of $29.99.
Old 06-16-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
It's definitely unique. I thought it ran way too long. IMO there are better works from Oshii. For those who want a total different spin on the movie, be sure to read Justin Sevakis's review over @ ANN.
I agreed that the story ran too long. There are some amazing animation combined with CGI and real-life video. I have seen some of Oshii's work - Jin-Roh and Ghost in the Shell and I thought they're pretty good movies. What else of his are worth to watch?

I would LOVE to buy some anime DVDs - unfortunately that my work was bought by other company and they planned to close us down this August. I gotta save money till I get a new job. However, I have it on my Netflix list.
Old 06-16-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm holding out until the rumored sale at Deep Discount starts next month. They currently have it on Blu-ray for $25.61. If that price remains and they have another 25% off sale like the last one, I'll be able to scoop it up for $19.21.
Old 06-16-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I agreed that the story ran too long. There are some amazing animation combined with CGI and real-life video. I have seen some of Oshii's work - Jin-Roh and Ghost in the Shell and I thought they're pretty good movies. What else of his are worth to watch?
I think the best Oshii films are Angel's Egg, Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, Patlabor the Movie II and Avalon.

He only wrote the screenplay for Jin-Roh (like Blood: The Last Vampire), although it is still very much in his style.
Old 06-16-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I see what you're saying about Gantz. It's weird, it's very fast moving in that I just started watching in and I'm on episode 12, but it's slow in that not a whole hell of a lot is actually happening. I'll stick it out at least through this disk.

I'll admit Lain and Boogiepop and Texhnolyze might be "deep" and "meaningful" and "artistic", but I just didn't enjoy watching them. I'm not solely into pure eye candy, and I like to think I'm intelligent, but those three series just didn't click with me.
Old 06-16-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boogiepop just had this intertwined story that just kept my mind busy throughout the entire series. Gantz had almost the same effect, but not as profound. Existential anime is certainly my forte, but I can tell how some people might not enjoy it.

I need to get back into anime... I miss the thrill
Old 06-22-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Just finished Gantz. The last disk was better than the two prior to it. It's weird, there's a couple episodes of action, then a couple episodes of slooow talking and stuff. Not that I'm against talking, but they didn't really say much. For much of the the first five disks I just kept thinking
Spoiler:
Shoot. Shoot. Shoot!

I did grow to like Kurono and Kishimoto more, but Kato got more annoying. I was growing tired of the series in the middle, but I'm glad I stuck it out. However, I felt a little dirty after watching, I think, the final episode on disk 5.
Old 06-23-09, 10:08 AM
WTK

Latest BD release from FUNimation...

Burst Angel (TV + OVA): Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 600 minutes - $79.98 - 9/29/09

Last edited by WTK; 06-23-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 10:58 AM
WTK

English trailer for Ponyo is up. And in theaters August 14th.
Old 06-23-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Burst Angel might look really great on Blu-ray.
Old 06-24-09, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Abe.
Burst Angel might look really great on Blu-ray.
I sure hope it is a HD transfer and not just an upscale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.