Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 06-30-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of the increased interest and new posters hanging out in the ANIME Bargains Thread, I thought that it was high time to start up an official discussion thread of all things Anime[who knows, maybe we'll get our own sub-forum]. To start things off right, it's time to throwdown your top 10 lists. Please list your top 10 series and your top 5 movies[honorable mentions would be most welcomed]. Also, list whatever Anime crap that you had to endure. My current list[and it was extremely tough to whittle it down to just 10 and even tougher to rank the top 10]-

Series
1. Elfen Lied
2. Fruits Basket
3. Full Metal Panic!/Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu[I can't wait for 2nd Raid]
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
5. Rahxephon
6. Chobits
7. Trigun
8. Samurai Champloo
9. R.O.D. the TV
10. Haibane Renmei

Honorable mentions, listed alphabetically-Azumanga Daioh; Berserk; Boogiepop Phantom; Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040; Cowboy Bebop; Escaflowne; Fullmetal Alchemist; Gankutsuou; Ghost in the Shell SAC/2nd Gig; Gungrave; Gunslinger Girl; Heat Guy J; Kino's Journey; Last Exile; Noir; Now and Then, Here and There; Paranoia Agent; Pretear; Samurai 7; Serial Experiments-Lain; SuperGALS!; Tenchi Muyo! OVA; Texhnolyze; Witch Hunter Robin; Wolf's Rain; X the TV.

Movies
1. Grave of the Fireflies
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4. Spirited Away
5. Kiki's Delivery Service

Honorable mentions-Ah, My Goddess!; Akira; Appleseed; Castle in the Sky; Cowboy Bebop-Knockin' on Heaven's Door; Ghost in the Shell1/2 Innocence; Howl's Moving Castle; Metropolis; Millennium Actress; My Neighbor Totoro; Neon Genesis-End of Evangelion; Perfect Blue; Tokyo Godfathers; Vampire Hunter D-Bloodlust.

I do careful research before I make an Anime purchase, so there's not that much that I haven't enjoyed on some level. Here are the few exceptions-Armitage Poly-Matrix/Dual-Matrix; Divergence Eve; Spriggan.
Old 06-30-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Series:

1) Cowboy Bebop - Best series ever (anime or otherwise)
2) .Hack//Sign
3) Najica: Blitz Tactics
4) GTO
5) Chobits
6) Samurai Champloo
7) Burn Up Excess
8) Burst Angel
9) RahXephon
10) Planetes

Movies:

1) Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
2) Kite
3) Ninja Scroll
4) Perfect Blue

Total Crap:
Avenger - Really cool looking packaging but the series is extremely boring and just not a very good series.
Samurai gun- Another show that looked like it would be cool as hell, but that could not be farther from the truth, this show is pointless and flat out sucks.

There is a good bit of stuff I own that I have not gotten around to watching yet, but would most likely end up on my top 10 someday like Kino's Journey and Samurai 7.
Old 06-30-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tried to come up with lists but felt very unhappy about them afterwards. It gets too hard for me to come up with just 10 and just 5 and then to order them.

I hate picking favorites. Plus the ones that are freshest in my memory hold a major bias. The last thing I watched is usually my new favorite thing if it really strikes my fancy.

The only thing I can say for sure is that my favorite series is Cowboy Bebop and my favorite film is Princess Mononoke.

FWIW, here are some series I really enjoyed not mentioned so far: Marmalade Boy (probably in my top 3), His and Her Circumstances (except for the ending), FLCL, Gantz (at least the first season), Giant Robo, Kaze No Yojimbo (from what I've seen... just the first two volumes), Mezzo, Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta, Oh My Goddess! OAV, Rurouni Kenshin, Scrapped Princess, Vampire Princess Miyu, Yukikaze, and probably others.

...and some films: Porco Rosso, The Castle of Cagliostro, Vampire Hunter D, and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Probably others, too.

Last edited by justbarelymovin; 06-30-06 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 10:20 PM
Defunct Account

Nice thread SBJ! I'll try to work up a list this weekend.

*shamless plug* BTW, don't forget to check out DVDTalk's bi-weekly column devoted to anime, Anime Talk. We have capsule reviews of the latest releases, a table of upcoming discs, and JustBarelyMovin from the Anime Bargain thread has a section on great deals on anime DVDs, among other things. */shamelss plug*
Old 06-30-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know what you mean JBM. On any given day, I could easily replace 5 of my top 10 with titles from the honorable mentions list. I really did feel bad about omitting Bebop from the top 10, but what are you going to do.
Old 06-30-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There, I edited my post to reflect some series/films not mentioned which I felt were worth mentioning.

And yes, please do check out Anime Talk.

Now I gotta go. Time to study for Spanish final tomorrow morning. Seriously, who decides to schedule finals on a Saturday morning?
Old 06-30-06, 11:17 PM

Hmm. Let's give it a try:

Series:
1.) Rurouni Kenshin
2.) Gundam Wing
3.) Tenchi
4.) InuYasha
5.) Yu Yu Hakusho
6.) Galaxy Angel
7.) Trigun
8.) Azumanga Daioh
9.) Noir
10.) .hack//sign
* I seem to be a little biased toward CN airings, as watching them over a period of years, instead of small bursts, gives me fonder memories of them. I've still got 7-8 series I haven't watched, so this could definitely change.

Honorable Mentions: Cowboy Bebop, Princess Nine, Devil Lady, Najica, Gundam Seed, Wolf's Rain, .hack//sign, Ranma, Infinite Ryvius

Movies:
1.) Tenchi Muyo In Love
2.) Princess Monoke
3.) Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
4.) Tenchi Forever
5.) Yu Yu Hakusho: Poltergeist Report
*haven't seen too many movies but I enjoyed these (I'm not sure if you'd classify Samurai X as a movie so...)
Old 06-30-06, 11:24 PM

Series (not really in order):

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Lain
3. Berserk
4. NGE
5. Ghost in the Shell: SAC
6. Samurai Champloo
7. Hellsing
8. Ghost in the Shell: SAC
9. L/R
10. Boogiepop Phantom

Movies:

2. Princess Mononoke
3. Perfect Blue
4. Voices of a Distant Star (is this even long enough to count?)
5. Castle of Cagliostro

There's of course some series I haven't watched yet that I'm pretty sure I will like such as Gungrave, Wolf's Rain, Samurai 7, etc...

Honorable Mentions: Jin-Roh, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Metropolis, Millennium Actress, Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2.

One movie I no longer care for that much is Ninja Scroll. It was (of course) one of the first anime features I saw and I loved it at the time. I still find the storyline a little interesting, but the overall feel seems to lessen every time I see it. Too much nostalgia built up originally I guess.

Last edited by murray731; 06-30-06 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 11:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Here is my first stab at this list:

Series:
1. FullMetal Alchemist / The Conqueror of Shambala
2. Great Teacher Onizuka
3. Azumanga Daioh
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Fruits Basket
6. Berserk
7. Elfen Lied
8. Hellsing
9. InuYasha
10. Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Honorable Mentions (not in order): Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, Full Metal Panic!, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, The Twelve Kingdoms, Samurai Champloo, Last Exile, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, RahXephon, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Ai Yori Aoshi, His and Her Circumstances, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG, Escaflowne, .hack//Sign, Gunslinger Girl, Chrono Crusade, Love Hina, Planetes, Chobits, Eureka Seven, Lain, Ranma 1/2, Fooly Cooly, X the TV series,...this could go on and on
- Will be on the list soon: Gankutsuou, Samurai 7, Ah! My Goddess,...

Movies:
2. Spirited Away
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind
5. Akira
6. Barefoot Gen
7. My Neighbor Totoro
8. Ghost in the Shell
9. Perfect Blue
10. Tokyo Godfather
- Honorable Mentions (not in order): Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, The Castle of Cagliostro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday, My Neighbor the Yamadas, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Voices of a Distant Star, Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Millennium Actress, Metropolis, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence,...

Total Crap:
I can't think of any! I don't watch series/movies that I know I won't like!

Unlicensed/Ongoing Series or Movies:
1. School Rumble / School Rumble - 2nd Term
2. Monster
3. Honey & Clover
4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
5. Ouran High School Host Club
6. Future Boy Conan
7. Ocean Waves (I Can Hear the Sea) - Movie
8. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
9. Suzuka
10. Doraemon
- School Rumble, Monster, and Honey & Clover are probably the best series not being licensed/released in the U.S. I would include them in my top ten if I were to expand it.
- Future Boy Conan is must see for Ghibli/Miyazaki/Takahata fans. This late 1970s series is basically the grandfather of all Ghibli films. You can also tell that ideas/concepts from this series were used in later Ghibli films.
- I included Doraemon for nostalgic sake because it's the first anime that I watched when I was little.

Last edited by WTK; 06-30-06 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SBJ, great idea! I really don't know a whole lot about anime, so I'll be checkin' this for ideas.

Top 5 Favorite Anime Films:
1) Spirited Away
2) Princess Mononoke
3) Howl's Moving Castle
4) My Neighbor Totoro
5) Porco Rosso
Old 07-01-06, 12:39 AM

These are in no particular order.

Ten Shows
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Gatchaman
Excel Saga
Martian Successor Nadesico
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Genshiken
Figure 17
Azumanga Daioh
The Vision of Escaflowne
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Five Films
Spirited Away
Wings of Honneamise
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Robot Carnival

Honorable Mention:
The Big O, Macross Plus, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Mazinkaiser, Mobile Police Patlabor (television series, OAVs and films), Millenium Actress, Akira, Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis, Master Keaton, Memories, Otaku no Video, Heat Guy J, Samurai Champloo, Nurse Witch Komugi, Howl's Moving Castle

Consolation Prize:
Najica Blitz Tactics, Jin-roh: The Wolf Brigade, Puni Puni Poemy, Gunparade March, Tbe Big O II
Old 07-01-06, 12:42 AM

Here's my top picks:

Series
1. Sailor Moon (duh)
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. Chrono Crusade
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Gankutsuou
6. Scrapped Princess
7. Kyo Kara Maoh

Movies
1. Spirited Away
2. Princess Mononoke
3. My Neighbor Totoro

Unlicenced Series:
1. Ouran High School Host Club
2. Honey and Clover
3. xXxholic

I'd probably have more favorites if I actually got around to watching the DVDs I own.
Old 07-01-06, 12:52 AM

Here's my list of fav.

Series:

1. Full Metal Panic!/Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
2. Rurouni Kenshin
3. Great Teacher Onizuka
4. Rune Soldier
5. Trigun
6. Kimagure Orange Road
7. Ranma
8. Last Exile
9. Fullmetal Alchemist
10. Twelve Kingdoms

Movies:

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Porco Rosso
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Vampire Hunter D
5. Akira

Last edited by toogood; 07-01-06 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 01:46 AM

Series
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Rumbling Hearts
3. Slam Dunk!
4. Kimagure Orange Road
5. BECK
6. Hare + Guu
7. Cardcaptor Sakura
8. Ranma 1/2
9. Full Moon
10. Maria-sama ga Miteru

Honorable Mentions: Aishiteruze Baby, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, GTO, Hikaru no Go, Hunter X Hunter, Kiddy Grade, Marmalade Boy, Princess Nine, Tenshi na Konamaiki

Movies
1. The End of Evangelion
2. Spirited Away
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
4. Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to That Day...
5. Princess Mononoke

I'll have to think about what series I thought were crap though. I've probably tried to block them from my mind. :P
Old 07-01-06, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The way I whittled down my choices was this: If I had to sell off my collection except for ten series and five movies, this is what would remain.

Series
1. Kimagure Orange Road
2. Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
3. Bubblegum Crisis (OVA)
4. Megazone 23
5. Vampire Princess Miyu (OVA)
6. Giant Robo
7. Record of Lodoss War (OVA)
8. Utena
9. Macross Plus
10. FLCL

Honorable mentions: Maison Ikkoku, Please Save My Earth, Here Is Greenwood, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Shamanic Princess, Video Girl Ai, Fight! Iczer-One, Combustible Campus Guardress

Movies/OVAs
1. Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
2. Adolescence of Utena
3. Windaria (not the butchered U.S. version)
4. Angel's Egg
5. Mind Game

Honorable mentions: Whisper of the Heart, Galaxy Express 999, Memories, Robot Carnival, Wings of Honneamise: Royal Space Force, Leda: Fantastic Adventure of Yohko, Interstella 5555, Princess Mononoke

Crap
I've seen a lot. Most I've probably blocked from memory. Some real stinkers, though:
Bubblegum Crash!
Macross II: Lovers Again (except for the opening and ending)
The Humanoid
Old 07-01-06, 03:07 PM

Shows:
1.Heat Guy J
2.Mezzo
3.Gungrave
4.Gunslinger Girl
5.Chrono Crusade
6.Boogiepop Phantom
7.Flame of Recca
8.Cromartie High School
9.Samurai Deeper Kyo
10.Genshiken

Movies:
1.Ninja Scroll
2.Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
3.Perfect Blue
4.Wrath of the NInja
5.Karas: The Prophecy

Also, I'm really wondering when the hell Sgt. Frog will get picked up and released here. Looks like a really fun show.
Old 07-01-06, 03:07 PM

Series

1. Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z (this thread could be 100 pages and I'll probably still be the only one to put this)
2. Berserk
3. Blue Gender
4. G-Gundam
5. Cowboy Bebop
6. Yu Yu Hakusho
7. Neon Genesis Evangelion
8. Nadia: Secret Of Blue Water
9. Outlaw Star
10. Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors)

Movies

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Grave Of The Fireflies
3. The End Of Evangelion
4. Dragon Ball Z: Bardock, The Father Of Goku (translated name is way too long and I can't recall it but this is the one DB film that anyone could watch since it's a prequel to the series)
5. Yu Yu Hakusho: The Poltergeist Report (Fight For The Netherworld)
Old 07-01-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some new shows that I'm currently collecting and would recommend are-

Eureka Seven
Kamichu!
My-HIME
Strawberry Marshmallow.

Looking over the different lists, I noticed that there weren't too many mentions of my top pick Elfen Lied. This leads me to believe that not too many of you have yet to watch this show. I cannot recommend this show highly enough and since it's an ADV release, I'm sure there will be a thinpak coming out soon. There was also a 14th OVA episode that wasn't included in the original release. Hopefully it will be included whenever the box set comes out.

I also hope ADV or some other region 1 studio will get off of their ass and license the second season of SuperGALS!. I really got hooked on the first season and would love to watch another 26 episodes.
Old 07-01-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Series (in no particular order)
Rurouni Kenshin
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku
Macross Plus
Noein
Yakitate Japan
Naruto

Movies
El Hazard OVA
Totoro
Rahxephon the Movie
Spirited Away
Akira
Old 07-01-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
SBJ, great idea! I really don't know a whole lot about anime, so I'll be checkin' this for ideas.

Top 5 Favorite Anime Films:
1) Spirited Away
2) Princess Mononoke
3) Howl's Moving Castle
4) My Neighbor Totoro
5) Porco Rosso
Since you're obviously a Miyazaki fan[aren't we all], let me recommend KamiChu!. Volume 1 just came out and so far, it looks to be a great series. This is a Geneon release and FYE is currently running a Buy 1 Get 1 FREE promotion on all Geneon titles. This would be a good time to grab the first volume along with any other Geneon title as a freebie. Here's a link to the DVD Talk review-

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=21738&___rd=1
Old 07-01-06, 09:46 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Some new shows that I'm currently collecting and would recommend are-

Eureka Seven
Kamichu!
My-HIME
Strawberry Marshmallow.

Looking over the different lists, I noticed that there weren't too many mentions of my top pick Elfen Lied. This leads me to believe that not too many of you have yet to watch this show. I cannot recommend this show highly enough and since it's an ADV release, I'm sure there will be a thinpak coming out soon. There was also a 14th OVA episode that wasn't included in the original release. Hopefully it will be included whenever the box set comes out.

I also hope ADV or some other region 1 studio will get off of their ass and license the second season of SuperGALS!. I really got hooked on the first season and would love to watch another 26 episodes.
I would have to agree with you on Elfen Lied. This series is awsome, but it's also intended for mature audiences.

For those who have seen Elfen Lied already, the OVA episode takes place during the events of episode 11. This episode will answer why Lucy/Nyu was captured and why she doesn't attack/kill director Kurama. ADV has yet to dubbed this OVA episode in English, so even if they release a thinpak they may not include this episode.

Sweet Baby James, if you're tempted to want to watch the OVA, you can try YouTube.
Old 07-01-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A huge thanks for the link WTK! I'll definitely check it out.

EDIT: Well, I just watched that OVA on youtube. What a strange episode. The first ten minutes seemed completely out of place with the rest of the series with all of the goofy slapstick. I really appreciate the link WTK[I was very interested in seeing this episode]. Thanks.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-01-06 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Top-10 series

1 Berserk
2 Crest/Banner of the Stars
3 Serial Experiments Lain
4 Kino's Journey
5 Evangelion
6 Lodoss War (OVA, TV series was OK)
7 Cowboy Bebop
8 Fruits Basket
9 Escaflowne
10 Excel Saga

Top few movies

1 Grave of the Fireflies
2 Spirited Away
3 Princess Mononoke
Old 07-03-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Great news! Rightstuf will be releasing season 2 of SuperGALS! on December 1. Here's a link to more info-

http://super-gals.rightstuf.com

EDIT:I just found out that this will NOT include an English dub. Too bad really, Luci Christian did a great job as the voice of Ran.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-03-06 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 05:16 PM
WTK

News Concerning Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid and Hellsing Ultimate, Source: ANN

News from ADV
- "ADV also confirmed that it will be handling the actual production of Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. Funimation will will only handle marketing of the series. This will allow the entire original cast to reprise their roles."

News from Geneon
- "Hellsing Ultimate,...According to Geneon, all the original voice talent from the previous dub will be back, including [Crispin] Freeman as Alucard, K.T. Gray as Seras, Victoria Harwood as Integra and Ralph Lister as Walter. Hellsing Ultimate is currently scheduled for release on December 5."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.