Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Mass Effect 3

Originally Posted by xmiyux
More important than any other arguing... where are you getting 20$ credit? Did I miss it on Amazon (since Amazon is only 10$ in credit now) or is this a Kmart thing?
FWIW, Best Buy's new gaming program is also offering $20 as long as you have the $15/year membership. The free gaming membership is giving $10 with purchase.
Old 02-23-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
FWIW, Best Buy's new gaming program is also offering $20 as long as you have the $15/year membership. The free gaming membership is giving $10 with purchase.
Again my location gets me... no Costco, no Best Buy. I used to have Circuit City...

Alright, I will probably just pre-order on Amazon for the 10$ and see if Kmart does something better closer to launch.
Old 02-23-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
If you've played ME1 and ME2, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which a
Spoiler:
living, breathing, talking Prothean

isn't vital to the lore and story. Unless that character's dialogue/story/mission are very poorly written and fleshed out, which is also possible, I suppose.
Originally Posted by pinata242
Or it's not necessarily that character that is central to the story.

They could have had Geth without Legion.
Yup. Until someone actually plays it, its all speculation on how important it is. And I guess "vital" is up for debate, as I can argue that other DLC like Shadow Broker was vital the overall story in ME given the characters involved (although it wasn't available Day 1, so I guess it doesn't count for some arbitrary reason)
Old 02-23-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Shadow Broker is not as vital to the central story of Mass Effect as the
Spoiler:
Protheans, especially a still-living one.
Unless I'm forgetting something major, that's pretty much an indisputable fact.

(I assume that this is now the part where we talk about The Arrival and how it was absolutely essential to the story.)

Also, regarding the official Bioware response that sounds like a carbon copy of every other PR response in the history of ever, there's plenty of evidence provided by users in that same thread that the PR line is wholly inaccurate. Not that it really matters at this point.

I'm glad to see that the major sites like Kotaku and Joystiq have picked up the story and the reactions to it. The more consumer awareness, the better.
Old 02-23-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Prothean race is more vital, but it remains to be seen whether the character and the story line actually adds anything of significant value. That's just my opinion. If the character doesn't do anything important other then the fact he's Prothean and I never use him in my party, I don't think i'd care much.

I see comments about the character being in a leaked script, but that doesn't necessarily refute anything to me. I'm not sure if you saw anything else in particular that was inaccurate. It's also funny to see Zaeed brought up, given that it required the Cerberus Network which cost money for used game buyers which seemed like the major issue with Recokning who's content was "free" on day one.

I don't know, take a stand and don't buy the game I guess
Old 02-23-12, 11:02 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There could be a group of Protheans you find...and the dlc is just another one that you get to use in your party.
Old 02-23-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For what its worth, I think the character should be free for everyone just because Bioware has done so in the past, not just for CE. Or make it paid for everyone, one or the other. I understand the complaint here, I just think the reasoning a lot of folks have is flawed.
Old 02-24-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Shadow Broker DLC not only put Liara in a new place in the galaxy, one that could be of tremendous value for Shepard going forward, but also introduced an entirely new race to the universe we know. Plus I got to throw chumps off that spaceship like 100 times. It was pretty bad ass.
Old 02-24-12, 12:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't realize this whole DLC thing was a result of EA charging for multiplayer. Now I'm considering canceling my pre-order and waiting to get a used copy for under $50.
Old 02-24-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You didn't answer the question. How many do they "owe" us? If this one should have been included, why not the next? The one after that? There was like a dozen in ME2 directly. If you want to use them all in a rotation, that's great for you, but it doesn't mean you're owed anything but the game you paid for.
Where did I ever say we were owed anything?
Old 02-24-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
For what its worth, I think the character should be free for everyone just because Bioware has done so in the past, not just for CE. Or make it paid for everyone, one or the other. I understand the complaint here, I just think the reasoning a lot of folks have is flawed.
It is paid for everyone. CE customers, like myself, paid an extra $20 for the DLC character, a few other in-game perks (weapons and some robot dog) and a few other doodads. SE customers paid $10 for the DLC character.

Seems fair to me.
Old 02-24-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It is paid for everyone. CE customers, like myself, paid an extra $20 for the DLC character, a few other in-game perks (weapons and some robot dog) and a few other doodads. SE customers paid $10 for the DLC character.

Seems fair to me.
Sort of. I have the CE pre-ordered to, and while there was a mention of downloadable content (that I specifically mentioned in a previous post already), it was never clear what that entailed until now. I think if people knew what the first DLC was going to be earlier, more people would have opted for the CE knowing the pricing and I bet that's what is triggering the ire of some people. Otherwise most people assumed the $20 extra was going towards similar items like the CE for ME2 (which I already own) like the different packaging, art book, weapons and armor, etc. which doesn't have as much value as a playable character.

I still don't think its shady like a lot of people make it out to be, but I can see a small difference.
Old 02-24-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
No because I don't have $10 in points. i've got like $3. Now I have to go out and buy a $20 card, so this is going to cost me the same amount. I know I will have points left over, but I truly do look at this paying that same price. Why? Because I've had those same $3 in points sitting in my account for over 2 years! I never use them and hate that I have to commit to paying for so much that I'll never use. i'll be excited when Xbox finally makes the switch to regular $ transactions.
You can buy points in $5 increments...
Old 02-24-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Only if you give MS access to your finances. And that's always a safe play.
Old 02-24-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After watching this, I believe it to be a fraud, but I don't doubt there are people out there that actually feel this way. The last minute of it is really the pay off. #fake

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IUrbMDt5t4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-24-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 02-24-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

of course it's fake. It's Francis!

Old 02-24-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His name is Chainsaw. Don't call him Francis.
Old 02-24-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matt?
Old 02-24-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Only if you give MS access to your finances. And that's always a safe play.
What this guy said. No way, no how does MS get my CC after the horror stories I've heard. Prepaid cards all the way.
Old 02-24-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

played the demo,

The kinect stuff was kind of cool, but I kind of didn't know what to do, I would sometimes see the microphone pop up, but then I am not sure what to say.

Oh..and f**K the Reapers.
Old 02-24-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Citadel and Alliance are pretty much in denial mode, right? Isn't that a lot of what ME2 was about?

Plus, as seen in The Arrival DLC, the Reapers are on the door step and with the Mass Relays, they can hit the entire galaxy nearly simultaneously.
Pretty much,

If you haven't played the demo

Spoiler:
Sheppard's task was to go and convince the Council to help
Old 02-24-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foxdvd
So far I have not felt that my choices have mattered that much when it comes to the games. If I let someone die, the game just replaces that character with another, giving them the same lines with a few different touches. It would be very difficult to make a game with true branching paths. I wanted my save files to have my choices going into 3, but I never truly believed that it would make any difference to my experience.

Mass Effect 3 is probably going to be my game of the year no matter what....
I thought I had read that decisions that you made in 1 and 2, which did not play important roles, would play big roles in 3
Old 02-24-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After watching this, I believe it to be a fraud, but I don't doubt there are people out there that actually feel this way. The last minute of it is really the pay off. #fake
While I'm happy that you found my YouTube channel, I'm disappointed that you think I'm not dead serious.
Old 02-24-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
While I'm happy that you found my YouTube channel, I'm disappointed that you think I'm not dead serious.
Did you have a dry shirt on floor you could still use? Doing laundry sucks, I know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.