Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Thread Redemption: Red Dead Redemption, The Thread: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dead Thread Redemption: Red Dead Redemption, The Thread: Part II

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Kedrix...played anymore? How's it feeling? I've been so busy I regret that I haven't even pressed start yet. I'm dying to, but alas...
Honestly, I haven't played it since last Friday. My one year old hasn't been going to bed before 10pm for some reason (and for the most part can only fall asleep in daddy's arms)...and that leaves me with no time to play. And in the morning while my wife is getting ready, the most I can play is something like Project Spark and do my dallies (since I only have a month left until they turn it off).

Anyway, not that you want to hear my family life, but I should be able to play it some more this weekend. I've watched it a bunch on twitch and I've seen no negatives at all. It's a fantastic game, it really is...but from what I've played I will say this. It does feel like Grand Theft Auto IV on a horse and a six-shooter. Whoever made that analogy was dead on. So therefore, things like crimes are way too easy to make, or maneuvering your car, I mean horse can feel a little herky jerky. But that's more personal preference than anything else since I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV. I'm hoping the western feel keeps me going though. At this point, I'm still digging Gun (for those who remember that one) a little more.
Old 07-14-16, 09:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Honestly, I haven't played it since last Friday. My one year old hasn't been going to bed before 10pm for some reason (and for the most part can only fall asleep in daddy's arms)...and that leaves me with no time to play. And in the morning while my wife is getting ready, the most I can play is something like Project Spark and do my dallies (since I only have a month left until they turn it off).

Anyway, not that you want to hear my family life, but I should be able to play it some more this weekend. I've watched it a bunch on twitch and I've seen no negatives at all. It's a fantastic game, it really is...but from what I've played I will say this. It does feel like Grand Theft Auto IV on a horse and a six-shooter. Whoever made that analogy was dead on. So therefore, things like crimes are way too easy to make, or maneuvering your car, I mean horse can feel a little herky jerky. But that's more personal preference than anything else since I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV. I'm hoping the western feel keeps me going though. At this point, I'm still digging Gun (for those who remember that one) a little more.
so this is your very first playthrough? i envy you. i thought it was a remarkable game and really surprised the hell out of me given i am not much of an open world player and never really got into the GTA games on any system...
Old 07-14-16, 09:25 AM

so this is your very first playthrough? i envy you. i thought it was a remarkable game and really surprised the hell out of me given i am not much of an open world player and never really got into the GTA games on any system...
Yep, no guide either. (Though if I did find a copy of the rare hardcover one, I would snatch it up probably) I kinda missed this one even though I've had an Xbox 360 or One for about 9 years now. I like open world games (from the 360 era, ones like Mafia 2, Sleeping Dogs and Gun were my favorites), but not newer GTA's which is what's worrying me a bit.
Old 07-14-16, 10:59 AM

Yep, no guide either. (Though if I did find a copy of the rare hardcover one, I would snatch it up probably) I kinda missed this one even though I've had an Xbox 360 or One for about 9 years now. I like open world games (from the 360 era, ones like Mafia 2, Sleeping Dogs and Gun were my favorites), but not newer GTA's which is what's worrying me a bit.
give it some time and just get immersed in the world. the riding can be clunky at first, but i think it really gets easier and becomes a non-issue soon. the world is just so rich and expansive with so much to do. i would hunt wild animals for hours on end (wait till your first bear or cougar or even rattlesnake encounter. sometimes they jump right out at you and i've been "jump" scared numerous times because of them) and not even do a single mission sometimes it's that engrossing...
Old 07-15-16, 08:14 PM

Holy G-d does this look gorgeous on the One!
Old 07-17-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

give it some time and just get immersed in the world. the riding can be clunky at first, but i think it really gets easier and becomes a non-issue soon. the world is just so rich and expansive with so much to do. i would hunt wild animals for hours on end (wait till your first bear or cougar or even rattlesnake encounter. sometimes they jump right out at you and i've been "jump" scared numerous times because of them) and not even do a single mission sometimes it's that engrossing...
Yep. Aside from the endless skinning scenes, I would really enjoy going on the hunts. Positioning the horse to avoid the scenes helped, but wasn't always feasible.
Old 07-17-16, 01:21 PM

I thought the golden guns is unlocked from beginning if have DLC. Is that not correct?
Old 08-02-16, 10:03 PM

Yep, no guide either. (Though if I did find a copy of the rare hardcover one, I would snatch it up probably)
Just for the record, I did snag a copy of the hardcover Goty guide and it is well worth the $30 I spent. It is beautiful, not quite as majestic as the Skyrim ones I have but up there.
Old 08-02-16, 10:22 PM

Just for the record, I did snag a copy of the hardcover Goty guide and it is well worth the $30 I spent. It is beautiful, not quite as majestic as the Skyrim ones I have but up there.
getting 100% on this game almost ruined me and i still have nightmares...
Old 08-03-16, 07:35 AM

Good to know. In this modern day of gaming with achievements and trophies, it's rare for me to get 100% on any game that's not a visual novel, Lego or XBLA/ID@Xbox game. Even if I beat it, I usually don't beat it to death if that makes sense. My two favorite games of the 360 era, Skyrim and XCom: Enemy Unknown even I've even played them well over 100 hours a piece I never 100%ed. I imagine the same thing will happen here once I get going. I'll beat it and then clean up a few achievements but that's it. Family, wife, kid, all those wonderful things you know .
Old 08-07-23, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Yeah, no thank you for $50.

The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

$50 for a fucking last gen port lol
K&AJones (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Undead nightmares?
Old 08-08-23, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm torn. I skipped playing it the first time around and there aren't any convenient alternate ways to play, so I'll probably get this, but I was hoping for some sort of (non-GTA collection-like) remaster.
Old 08-08-23, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Just give it a couple of months. If you want it the price will likely drop pretty quick.
Old 08-08-23, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Rockstar is getting hammered on both RD1 and RD2 today.....for the past month or so there's been rumors and leaks about a 'New Rating" for Red dead 1 and the odds onfavorite was it was getting a much deserved Remaster...well that didn't exactly happen and the entire fan base is is lighting torches and about to storm the HQ......

Red Dead Redemption Fans Criticise Rockstar Games for Upcoming PS4 and Nintendo Switch Release (gamingbolt.com)

Red Dead Redemption PS4 Announcement Results in Backlash (playstationlifestyle.net)

For Once We All Agree – The Red Dead Redemption Port Sucks (thegamer.com)

And those Take-Two Executives must be living on another planet if they think everyone will be just peachy and ok with the $50 price tag....

$50 for Red Dead Redemption PS4 Port 'Commercially Accurate', Says Publisher Take-Two | Push Square
Old 08-09-23, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Rockstar have become a bunch of greedy assholes like Activision. I can't believe they're charging 50 bucks for games that came out 12-13 years ago. Undead Nightmare, while great, is also a very short game.

This is just how the business is now. They found that the majority of gamers are idiots who will buy game expansions for the price of a full game so that's how games are being released now (see MW3) - this mainly applies to titles like Call of Duty but it wouldn't surprise if Rockstar released a remaster of red dead shortly after people get ripped off from this bullshit. Remember, they're doing this because they know people will actually pay that much.

The only thing Rockstar has going for them with new releases is that they do put a ton of effort into their games but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes as well.

I wish people would stop falling for microtransactions and garbage like this and let these companies fail a bit so they're forced to put out a better product but that's just wishful thinking.
K&AJones (08-11-23)
Old 08-09-23, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Yeah GTA Online screwed up any chance of Rockstar ever being a good game company anymore. As soon as they started making crazy money for years on a game that takes little to no effort on their end they lost all interest in spending money on quality game experiences.
K&AJones (08-11-23)
Old 08-09-23, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

I'd buy it if it was a remaster, not this crap. I still have RDR2 PS4 unwrapped, I guess I can start that.
Old 08-09-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I never got around to playing this, but there's no way I'm paying $50 for a port. I'll get it when it's $19.99 and play it.
Old 08-10-23, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I'd buy it if it was a remaster, not this crap. I still have RDR2 PS4 unwrapped, I guess I can start that.
I think they were kind of in a lose-lose scenario here after they completely fucked the GTA trilogy remaster. They could either put a large amount of effort into a remaster that many would still avoid for a while in case it was terrible, or do a barebones port and upset the people who want it to look as good as RDR2. I just want to be able to play the game - I would have preferred PC and trusting fans to create texture mods.
Old 08-10-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Full price for a re-release of a 10+ year old game? Who do they think they are, Nintendo?
The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
Decker (08-10-23), K&AJones (08-11-23)
Old 08-10-23, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Yeah GTA Online screwed up any chance of Rockstar ever being a good game company anymore. As soon as they started making crazy money for years on a game that takes little to no effort on their end they lost all interest in spending money on quality game experiences.
I'd put most of the blame on customers who shell out money for all that online bullshit.
Spending that much money on shit that takes no effort to produce is how we got here.
miller_time22 (08-12-23)
Old 08-11-23, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I think they were kind of in a lose-lose scenario here after they completely fucked the GTA trilogy remaster. They could either put a large amount of effort into a remaster that many would still avoid for a while in case it was terrible, or do a barebones port and upset the people who want it to look as good as RDR2. I just want to be able to play the game - I would have preferred PC and trusting fans to create texture mods.
In terms of doing an actual remaster, if it was good, people would've paid for it. Maybe people wouldn't have pre-ordered and waited for reviews, but I doubt people would've held off for long if it was a quality remaster.

As for just releasing a functional port, that's find, but then people are going to do a comparison. The new release is only PS4 and Switch, no Xbox, because Xbox owners can still purchase and play the original Xbox 360 release, even digitially, on their XB1 and Series S/X consoles. And that version retails for $29.99 for the digital, although it doesn't include Undead Nightmare, which is an additional $9.99 DLC. However, both have gone on sale before, as low as $9.89 for the game, and $4.99 for Undead Nightmare.
https://xbdeals.net/us-store/game/61...ead-redemption
https://xbdeals.net/us-store/game/61...nightmare-pack

So I think that's what people compare against. $30 seems more reasonable than $50 for this old of a game that hasn't been remastered. And yes, the new release includes Undead Nightmare, but that's still $50 vs $40 to get that all on Xbox, even without a sale, and not everyone necessarily wants Undead Nightmare. If this new release had the same pricing as the Xbox version, $30 for base game, $10 DLC for Undead Nightmare, I think a lot of people would've found the price far more reasonable.
Old 08-12-23, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

There has been a lot of "60FPS at 4K" videos out there for various older games thanks to manly modders and emulations via PC....this one was three weeks ago which at the time was when solid rumors were swirling around at a Red Dead 1 Remastered. this video (nearly 350K views) shows just what a 60FPS at 4K Remaster would look like...

...it's a shame all these outside people and groups can do all these gorgeous remasters at 60FPS at 4K and seems like both M.S, Sony or Devs either slaps them down, brushes them off, ignores completely while gamers call for a official version......look what happened with Dead Space Remastered?...Bloodborne, gears of War, now this...list goes on and on...well, enjoy what might have been....

Apparently there's far more going on at Rockstar....good video here summing up it all and pretty much has been going on for awhile especially with GTA which has had issues itself over the years...

Last edited by K&AJones; 08-12-23 at 07:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.