Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Thread Redemption: Red Dead Redemption, The Thread: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Dead Thread Redemption: Red Dead Redemption, The Thread: Part II

One huge flaw in this game, for me anyway, were the extremely repetitive and annoying "cutscenes" when you perform an action like skinning an animal, picking flowers etc., but there are some very good shooting mechanics in this game so you should stick with it. You get to feel like a real badass. Give it some more time. I am not the hugest Rockstar fan, but they did a lot of things right with this game.
Old 08-15-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought this for $20 a couple months ago and have had trouble getting in to it. I've reached Mexico and just have little interest in playing it. I wanted to finish it before the big Fall/Winter games, but the story hasn't been particular interesting and a lot of things are extremely repetitive. It's also a pain travelling from place to place, even using waypoints and campsites.
Old 08-15-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep going. Mexico felt like more of the same from the first section of the game, just in a different location, but the rest of the game after that is phenomenal, at least from a story perspective -- the action winds down a bit if I remember correctly.
Old 08-15-11, 10:32 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
at least from a story perspective -- the action winds down a bit if I remember correctly.

that's not good. so it looks like i am bored now and will be bored near the end.
Old 08-15-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
that's not good. so it looks like i am bored now and will be bored near the end.
If you are not involved in the story by that point then yes.........If you are looking for a mindless shooter this is definitely not the game for you but there are some great, long, action sequences in this game.
Old 08-15-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Keep going. Mexico felt like more of the same from the first section of the game, just in a different location, but the rest of the game after that is phenomenal, at least from a story perspective -- the action winds down a bit if I remember correctly.
Thanks, I'll try and keep trucking. I didn't pay much attention to the reviews when the game came out, but i'm disappointed at how much the game really does just feel like Grand Theft Horse so far.
Old 08-15-11, 10:59 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Rival11
If you are not involved in the story by that point then yes.........If you are looking for a mindless shooter this is definitely not the game for you but there are some great, long, action sequences in this game.

i probably won't make it to the end anyway. These open-world GTA/Saints Row type games hold my interest until I get about 75% of the way through. Then I usually run into a mission that will frustrate me to no end and I will stop playing. The MP intrigues me in RDR, is that any good? I haven't had a chance to play yet.
Old 08-16-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I saw a stagecoach fall over the bridge in Mexico. Being a nice guy I was, I went to check the bodies and looted them.
Old 08-16-11, 08:27 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by dom56
I saw a stagecoach fall over the bridge in Mexico. Being a nice guy I was, I went to check the bodies and looted them.

So is there "oblivion type" random things going on with the A.I.? I remember in Oblivion you would run up on some weird sh!t sometimes. I saw a guy chasing down a unicorn once. Also, I was creeped out bad one time -- I was riding on my horse into a town at night. I saw something running toward me. It was one of those cat people with a black hooded robe on. He just stopped beside me and stared, then he kept running. good times.
Old 08-16-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, there are random things going on around the world, but they also begin to repeat if you play long enough. They are still fun though.
Old 08-21-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that the game and missions CAN get repetetive and a bit of a chore after a while shouldn't surprise anyone. There's a lot more depth to this game than a GTA game, but gameplay wise, it's basically GTA in the wild west. That means it's a long game, and you're going to do a lot of the same things again and again. Hardly an issue though. That just means I won't be afraid to put it down for a while to play another game I need to beat, and then go back to it when I'm good and ready. Not to mention, now that there's the undead nightmare stuff, there's some more variation to what you can do.
Old 09-13-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From rockstargames.com: Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition Coming this October for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

For those that still have yet to experience it, or anybody that's looking for the definitive, complete Red Dead Redemption experience all in one package, we're proud to announce that the Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition will be available at retail stores in North America for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on October 11th for $49.99 and in Europe on October 14th.

Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition will include the full, original Red Dead Redemption game plus all free and paid downloadable content packs released to date, including the wildly popular Undead Nightmare single and multiplayer offerings, as well as all DLC originally released as pre-order content. This comprehensive package features:

The original full Red Dead Redemption game - winner of over 160 Game of the Year honors - with a brand-new Hardcore single-player difficulty option.

Undead Nightmare: The one-of-a-kind experience that pits John Marston against a sinister zombie outbreak, along with its Undead Overrun survival-based Multiplayer Mode.

The Legends and Killers Multiplayer Pack: Adds to the Red Dead multiplayer experience with nine additional active Competitive mode map locations tailored for multiplayer action, 8 playable characters from Red Dead Revolver, the devastating Tomahawk weapon and more.

The Liars and Cheats Multiplayer Pack: Massively expands Free Roam multiplayer with Multiplayer Poker, Liar's Dice, Horse Racing with Combat and a slew of additional Gang Hideouts and Hunting Grounds. Plus it adds the action-packed Stronghold mode to Competitive Multiplayer.

The Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack: Six explosive and epic Cooperative Multiplayer missions to play with 2-4 players.

All the original pre-release pre-order content, including the Deadly Assassin Outfit, War Horse, and Golden Guns Weapon Pack plus the Hunting and Trading Outfits Pack featuring two additional outfits with corresponding gameplay challenges.

The Solomon’s Folly single player gang hideout and challenges (available for the first time on Xbox 360).

The just released Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack that features new fan-favorite multiplayer characters and all-new multiplayer locations to battle in.

For details on any and all of the content in the Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition, be sure to explore the weath of videos, screenshots and additional information located at www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption.

Last edited by Matt; 09-13-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
In case you've lost track of the gargantuan game's extensive extras, Rockstar has helpfully catalogued them in the announcement. Ready? Deep breath: The popular Undead Nightmare DLC pack; the Legends and Killers Pack; the Liars and Cheats Pack; the Outlaws To The End Co-Op Mission Pack; the previously PS3-only Solomon's Folly gang hideout; and the recently released Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack. In the off-chance that such a gaming feast hasn't sated your appetite, the Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition also includes a "brand-new hardcore single-player mode."
Does that last part just translate to increased difficulty or is it something all new?

Also, what's in Myths and Mavericks? Any new trophies/acheivements? I finished all the regular DLC with all trophies and sold off the game while I could still make some decent money on it.
Old 09-13-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! Finally time to pick this puppy up!
Old 09-14-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Now I just have to wait a few more months for the GOTY edition to drop to $19. My new strategy with this type of game is to buy it at release with whatever special deals are going on, play through the main campaign, sell it at a small profit, then wait for the GOTY to come out and drop in price instead of buying all the downloads separately. I'm just surprised it's taken this long for the GOTY to be announced.
Old 09-14-11, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YEAHIE GOTY! I don't see myself waiting for $20, But $30-$35 would be good with me.
Old 09-14-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I'll finally be in. How does Rockstar handle the extras on their GOTY editions - disc-based or download codes? Just wondering if saving a few bucks by buying a used copy is an option.
Old 09-15-11, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Well, I'll finally be in. How does Rockstar handle the extras on their GOTY editions - disc-based or download codes? Just wondering if saving a few bucks by buying a used copy is an option.
Should be disc-based. I think most companies learned their lesson from Borderlands and their first run of GOTY copies.
Old 09-15-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And this is another reason why I love Rockstar - while many people would say "yeah way to go...milk more money out of your followers" that's not the case at all - they know they have an OCD completist following so the GOTY edition satisfies them.

Me? I am perfectly happy with my separate copy that includes all of the mult-iplayer content that was released (well, with the exception of the free stuff) and how could you go wrong with that cover art:

retardedly huge picture under spoiler tags
Spoiler:

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 09-15-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's...a very large image.
Old 09-15-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shit....sorry guys.....that mod note is hilarious though.
Old 10-10-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

Just finished it. Overall, fun game despite the repetitive aspects and the boring last bit at the ranch before the finale. And let's face it, what drives the entire game is the fact that John Marston is an idiot who constantly falls for the "if you do this for me, I might have some information for you later" trick. I might try it again to see what happens of I just shoot all the main characters.
Old 10-10-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Just finished it. Overall, fun game despite the repetitive aspects and the boring last bit at the ranch before the finale. And let's face it, what drives the entire game is the fact that John Marston is an idiot who constantly falls for the "if you do this for me, I might have some information for you later" trick. I might try it again to see what happens of I just shoot all the main characters.
I gotta admit, they do have a tendency to do that in their games (the "do this for me" thing) but in RDR it's much more subtle and they did a great job of trying to improve on it......GTA IV with Nikko's story is just plain brutal though...but in all fariness...that's when video games just started being more than games I guess (i.e. people wanting to be able "hang out" in games with side missions, random free roam interactions, etc...).

I think I have decided to fold and actually pick up the GOTY edition.
Old 12-28-11, 10:28 PM

XBOX 360: 50% off the following RDR DLC for Thursday 12/28:

-Legends and Killers Pack - 400
-Liars and Cheats Pack - 400
-Undead Nightmare Pack - 400
-Undead Nightmare Collection - 800 (Contains Liars & Cheats, Legends & Killers, and Undead Nightmare)
Old 06-19-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kind of an interesting read on the voice actor of John Marston.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013...n-John-Marston

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.