TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S3E17) -- "Duet" -- Supergirl crossover -- 3/21/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: The Flash (S3E17) -- "Duet" -- Supergirl crossover -- 3/21/17

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They've spent nearly a season now on Supergirl showing a formerly straight character suddenly becoming a lesbian in her late 20s. It's been one of the clumsiest handled romances in recent television history.
Are you referring to Maggie Sawyer? She's been a lesbian since John Byrne introduced the character in 1987.
Old 03-24-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Tendo vel sapien tincidunt nec tu tibi facetum videtur.
Might want to undangle that participle, Cochise.
As for why it bothers me? Because it seems like they are more concerned with pushing a liberal agenda then actually making an entertaining show that everyone can watch. If you look at message boards a lot of people are getting annoyed by it and complaining each week But feel free to just ignore the evidence and examples in front of you.
Are you for real? Unloaded rifles fire the loudest. Message board complainers are hardly evidence of anything, except bitter old guys sitting at keyboards
Old 03-24-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newsflash: Homosexuals can spend years in heterosexual relationships (complete with... gasp... kids being born!) before coming to terms with their homosexuality. I realize that is hard for some people to grok, but it's reality.

And seriously, forced gay and lesbian themes? Just like how they forced racial diversity on everybody since they changed some of the characters rom being white in the comics to other races on these shows. Pretty easy to dispute that anybody is forcing an agenda vs. simply adding more diversity to what was a very a history ignoring the racial and sexual preference diversity in this country.

Love how every reply claiming there legit concern over the politics these CW DC shows just makes it more clear this it's people that just would rather the show be filled with white, straight people that fit in their safe space.
Old 03-24-17, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Love how every reply claiming there legit concern over the politics these CW DC shows just makes it more clear this it's people that just would rather the show be filled with white, straight people that fit in their safe space.
Nobody cares about the politics, that's to be expected. They only care that it's well written- but it's not.
Old 03-24-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
Nobody cares about the politics, that's to be expected. They only care that it's well written- but it's not.
There are certainly posts where it's clear there are legit concerns regarding the quality of the writing, rather than some liberal agenda included in the writing (even when it's well done). But sadly they are surrounded by posts that make it clear the real concern is that some supposed liberal agenda is being forced upon folks that would rather not be subjected to racial and sexual preference diversity.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-24-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 08:26 PM
Banned

There are certainly posts where it's clear there are legit concerns regarding the quality of the writing, rather than some liberal agenda including in the writing (even when it's well done). But sadly they are surrounded by posts that make it clear the real concern is that some supposed liberal agenda is being forced upon folks that would rather not be subjected to racial and sexual preference diversity.
The best sci-fi always has some sort of political agenda/statement attached to it. Star Trek even went as far to comment on Vietnam from a "future" point of view. If only the WB shows had writing half as good. The political allegory here seems to be shoehorned in.
Old 03-24-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure there are plenty of conservatives (or at least right leaning people like me that are not triggered by just simply having a homosexual or inter-racial relationship portrayed on screen) that enjoy all of these CW DC shows just fine, left leaning politics and all.
So again, I keep giving you examples and you chose to ignore them and focus on one thing. Guess you don't have much of an argument.

I certainly know the flip side is true. I don't avoid otherwise enjoyable shows just because they lean right from a social perspective. And I don't complaint about it in threads like these because I know going in that the political angle is going to be there.
Having a political angle still doesn't change the fact that these shows have shit writing trying to force liberal ideology into them. Did anyone say to themselves "You know what would make Supergirl a great season? By basically hammering in how much we hate Trump. Yeah that's great TV!" This show isn't The West Wing, 24 or The Twilight Zone which actually featured good writing when making their political points.

Exactly. I doubt there are many that would argue these CW DC shows are not left leaning. But the singling out of gay and interracial relationships goes beyond legit concern over actual political content.
Again you miss the point. I had no issues with Eddie/Iris. Barry/Iris, Nick and Amaya, or Hawkgirl and Ray. But so far on Supergirl this season we have basically had one big love letter to liberal ideology focusing on climate control, immigration, LBTQ rights and aliens in society. Arrow gave us a completely asinine gun control episode. Now on The Flash we got an interracial gay couple raising a child. This coming from a producer who is gay, married to his partner and raising a child while the left has been talking about gay rights more and more and in somes cases changing the sexuality of the characters(which no one complained about Curtis). If you can't see how obvious it is they are pushing liberal principals in this I don't know what to tell you.

Berlanti's shows have repeatedly forced gay and lesbian themes into the plotting and characters, no one can dispute that.

They took Mr. Terrific from the comics, a straight character, and then introduced him as gay on Arrow. They've spent nearly a season now on Supergirl showing a formerly straight character suddenly becoming a lesbian in her late 20s. It's been one of the clumsiest handled romances in recent television history.
Exactly.

Are you for real? Unloaded rifles fire the loudest. Message board complainers are hardly evidence of anything, except bitter old guys sitting at keyboards
So they are basically you?

Newsflash: Homosexuals can spend years in heterosexual relationships (complete with... gasp... kids being born!) before coming to terms with their homosexuality. I realize that is hard for some people to grok, but it's reality.
No one's denying that. Hell my cousins wife left him for a woman so I know that. It doesn't change the fact that the Alex change has been shiftily written. In season one she was crushing on Maxwell Lord. This season they sent out a press release about her becoming a lesbian. Nope no agenda here.

And seriously, forced gay and lesbian themes? Just like how they forced racial diversity on everybody since they changed some of the characters rom being white in the comics to other races on these shows. Pretty easy to dispute that anybody is forcing an agenda vs. simply adding more diversity to what was a very a history ignoring the racial and sexual preference diversity in this country.
Nice to see you making up crap now. Guess what. No one complained about Iris suddenly becoming black, or J'onn and Miss. Martian being made black. If we didn't have a black Iris we would lose one of the best parts of the show which is Joe. But please stay on your high horse and keep covering your ears to what people are saying.

There are certainly posts where it's clear there are legit concerns regarding the quality of the writing, rather than some liberal agenda including in the writing (even when it's well done). But sadly they are surrounded by posts that make it clear the real concern is that some supposed liberal agenda is being forced upon folks that would rather not be subjected to racial and sexual preference diversity.
And yet when people give examples of how the writing on the show is becoming terrible by trying to push liberal ideologies you ignore it and focus on what it's not about instead choosing to ignore examples and put words in peoples mouths.
Old 03-24-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best sci-fi always has some sort of political agenda/statement attached to it. Star Trek even went as far to comment on Vietnam from a "future" point of view. If only the WB shows had writing half as good. The political allegory here seems to be shoehorned in.
I totally agree when it comes to the different Trek series pulling it off far better than others. Yet, before these CW DC shows started including characters that weren't straight, there were people going on about how they went "PC" and changed the races of a few characters.

I'm right there with everybody else when it comes to some of the legitimately political stuff being portly written. That whole recent gun control Arrow episode was beyond painful to watch. In the end they didn't even make a point.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-24-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone say to themselves "You know what would make Supergirl a great season? By basically hammering in how much we hate Trump. Yeah that's great TV!"
Hammering in? It was one comment in one episode.
Old 03-25-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

The Magicians had a musical segment on this week's episode. Frankly it was more entertaining than this entire episode of Flash.
Old 03-25-17, 05:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't like this episode but i hate most musicals

Cast chemistry was great though
Old 03-25-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hammering in? It was one comment in one episode.
Actually it was two. In the Linda Carter episode Supergirl said how nice it was to have a woman president after beating that horrible, horrible man. They also had the episode talking about putting a fascist in the White House. Plus you know the two or three episodes talking about immigration they did.

But again, even after listing examples you just ignore them so why bother.
Old 03-25-17, 10:00 AM
Banned

I'm right there with everybody else when it comes to some of the legitimately political stuff being portly written. That whole recent gun control Arrow episode was beyond painful to watch. In the end they didn't even make a point.
You mean how in the next episode Oliver goes back to his usual murder spree? That?
Old 03-25-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually it was two. In the Linda Carter episode Supergirl...
The post I responded to called out Trump by name. My reply was about the times they have called out Trump by name. If you had posted that they have alluded to the whole current GOP controlled administration more than once lately, I would have agreed with you. People like Bannon and Pence are just as much responsible for the fascism as Trump.

You mean how in the next episode Oliver goes back to his usual murder spree? That?
Just watched that the latest episode last night.
Old 03-25-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Are you referring to Maggie Sawyer? She's been a lesbian since John Byrne introduced the character in 1987.
I was referring to Alex, Kara's sister. Alex has no counterpart in the comics.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
The Magicians had a musical segment on this week's episode. Frankly it was more entertaining than this entire episode of Flash.
Exactly what I was thinking as I watched that Magicians' episode. They have one musical scene and it was probably better than anything we got from the Flash.
Old 03-25-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So they are basically you?
"I know you are but what am I?" Better sharpen up that toolset, son
Old 03-26-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
"I know you are but what am I?" Better sharpen up that toolset, son
And you better make sure that you haven't misplaced yours.
Old 03-26-17, 06:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

so who was really singing and who wasn't? it sounded like Gustin during his songs, but not sure. i know Benoist and Martin have backgrounds, but not sure about anyone else, especially Victor Garber which didn't sound like him at all. the episode was meh. i liked the end with him proposing, again, though...
Old 03-26-17, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so who was really singing and who wasn't? it sounded like Gustin during his songs, but not sure. i know Benoist and Martin have backgrounds, but not sure about anyone else, especially Victor Garber which didn't sound like him at all. the episode was meh. i liked the end with him proposing, again, though...
Everyone singing had some kind of musical experience in their background.

Grant Gustin, Melissa Benoist and Darren Criss all appeared on Glee, John Barrowman has released several albums in the UK, Jesse Martin starred in "Rent" in the 1990s, Jeremy Jordan starred in "Newsies" on Broadway, Victor Garber recorded songs in Canada in the 1960s and appeared in several Braodway plays in the 1970s, and Carlos Valdez appeared in "Once" on Broadway.
Old 03-26-17, 06:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

I didn't know Gustin was on Glee. I stopped watching after 3rd or 4th season...
Old 03-26-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

They pulled pretty much every Arrowverse actor with a vocal background into the episode. Though remember it has been years for some of them since they had done Broadway or musical theater.
Old 03-26-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I didn't know Gustin was on Glee. I stopped watching after 3rd or 4th season...
Grant played a warbler from the other school. His duet smooth criminal with Santana was one of the best duets imo from Glee.
Old 03-27-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
Everyone singing had some kind of musical experience in their background.

Grant Gustin, Melissa Benoist and Darren Criss all appeared on Glee, John Barrowman has released several albums in the UK, Jesse Martin starred in "Rent" in the 1990s, Jeremy Jordan starred in "Newsies" on Broadway, Victor Garber recorded songs in Canada in the 1960s and appeared in several Braodway plays in the 1970s, and Carlos Valdez appeared in "Once" on Broadway.
I had always known Victor Garber as the lead in the movie version of "Godspell" back in the '70s (playing "Jesus" in clown make-up, which was the premise of the musical). I was surprised when he turned up on "Alias" as Sydney's father, and then everything that followed.
Old 03-27-17, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I had always known Victor Garber as the lead in the movie version of "Godspell" back in the '70s (playing "Jesus" in clown make-up, which was the premise of the musical). I was surprised when he turned up on "Alias" as Sydney's father, and then everything that followed.
Yeah, Garber has a significant track record in Stephen Sondheim musicals, including the original casts of Sweeney Todd and Assassins, and he played Daddy Warbucks in the Disney Channel version of Annie. But those were all quite a while ago, so I know some people who specifically mentioned him as having surprised them that he was a singer.
Old 03-27-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They let Garber sing and dance during an episode of Eli Stone. He also was a guest star on Glee for one episode, but since I never watched that series, I don't know if he got to sing in that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.