Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 05:03 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Defenders coming to Net

Originally Posted by benedict
I had it in mind that the original thread title did not include the details of what characters were going to be included in the shows. Speculation ensued.

When I returned to the thread quite recently I saw that character names WERE included in the thread title and wondered whether I'd simply misremembered. Hence my question.

I'd not intended to come across as either vague or contentious in asking.

Anyhoo, thanks for clarifying.
Gotcha. Nope. We didn't know when the package was be shopped around. There were some posts of speculation. When Netflix was announced at buying it, the shows were too.

There was a suggestion to create a solo Daredevil thread, but I think it's best to wait until it streams for that. The title was changed somewhat recently.
Old 07-28-14, 09:28 PM

Re: Marvel's Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Defenders coming to Net

Old 07-28-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That took me a second, she looks quite different with the blonde hair.
Old 08-04-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Old 08-21-14, 11:09 AM

Exclusive: ‘Daredevil’ Star Vincent D’Onofrio Talks Kingpin, Marvel Fans and ‘Defenders’ Crossover: http://screencrush.com/daredevil-vin...pin-exclusive/
Old 08-26-14, 03:04 PM

Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos has just pulled back the veil of secrecy a bit about Marvel's plans for the five series is bringing to the network in the coming years. As of now, we know that there are four solo series planned, with a fifth one being some sort of special event that includes all four established characters in a The Defenders crossover. But not much else is known.

In a chat with Empire Magazine, Sarandos offered the following insights on how this all came to be and where it could be headed:

"It was really based on the theatrical model of The Avengers. Could you take another group of characters, The Defenders, and go about it the same way? Normally they do the big movie and then eventually they get to the group origin story. Having 13 hours to tell each of these stories, you can go right to the origin story and the action at the same time."

We know that, of the announced plans, the one that's currently in-production- currently lensing all over New York City- is Daredevil. So what can we expect from the series? How will it differ from the 2003 film starring Ben Affleck?

"The series will not be afraid to go darker than the film did. What we love about this particular set of heroes is that they're a little more down to Earth. Costume wise and also in that these are gritty crime stories, more in the streets than in the clouds."

He, of course, is drawing a comparison between Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage discussing how they're grittier and more grounded than their big screen siblings in The Avengers. But speaking of the big screen, what are his feelings about a potential crossover? After all, it's all ready been hinted that we may see some Guardians of The Galaxy Meets The Avengers action in the future. Are The Defenders going to be invited to the party?

"It has definitely been talked about."

Yes, a tight-lipped response regarding a Marvel property. Shocking, I know. Sarandos adds:

"If you sense some hesitation in my voice, that's classic Marvel fashion. They like to keep that veil of secrecy. But Daredevil is already shooting, since that's out first. Eventually the series will run very close together. You can then have a separate season where the characters will cross over."

So, for now, all he'll confirm is that the TV shows will definitely interconnect. But he did also happen to reveal which series is next on the production list. When asked how the casting process is going, Sarandos points right at Jessica Jones being on-deck.

"Right now, the writers' rooms are open and they're looking at casting Jessica."

So, having conquered the big screen, it looks like Marvel is absolutely bringing the same ambition to the TV leg of their massive, shared universe. What's your excitement level like for these shows right now? Do any of his comments make you nervous (DOWN TO EARTH COSTUMES?! But...but...DAREDEVIL. IRON FIST?!)? Do you think a TV-to-Film crossover would be exciting, or just overkill?

Sound off!

http://www.latino-review.com/news/an...netlfix-series
Old 08-26-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jessica Jones might show up in future Ant-Man movies.
Old 08-26-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's unsettling they are already setting expectations low for Daredevil's costume. I think they can get away with minimal costumes in a Power Man and Iron Fist series. If this is the adventures of Matt Murdock, blind lawyer, I am probably out.
Old 08-26-14, 08:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know, you can still do a reasonable Daredevil costume and have it be more down to earth than Thor or Iron Man. I doubt this means there will be no costume or just a leather jacket. This is still Marvel.
Old 08-27-14, 08:19 AM

I already miss the red...

Old 08-27-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Just cast Michael Jai White as Luke Cage. Now. Please.
Old 08-27-14, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Just cast Michael Jai White as Luke Cage. Now. Please.
Might not since he was on Arrow... I like the idea though.
Old 09-06-14, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D’Onofrio does look like a skinny Kingpin. He needs a fat suit.

Old 09-15-14, 05:01 PM
Banned

Scott Glenn cast as Stick.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23265/scot...il_for_netflix

Excellent news. With the casting of Stick, I bet they are going to follow Frank Miller's Daredevil pretty closely. Daredevil versus the Hand ninjas? Hell yes!
Old 09-15-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dex14
I already miss the red...
Damn, she really does look different with the blonde hair.
Old 09-22-14, 08:13 AM

During an interview on Los Angeles's KFI AM 640, Marvel's Head of Television Jeph Loeb told Comic Book Resources's Jonah Weiland that fans looking to find out exactly what Marvel's Daredevil will not be when it comes to Netflix next year, need look no further than the feature film version of the property made back in 2003.

By the time he was tasked with running Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Loeb had apparently already given some thought to the world of what would eventually become the Marvel/Netflix Defenders partnership.

"When I watched The Avengers, which is really one of my favorite movies, during the scene when the sky opens up, the Chitauri are coming and there's a giant battle over by Grand Central Station, even in the theater I was thinking, 'In the true Marvel Universe if you go about ten blocks over and an avenue down, there's a place called Hell's Kitchen and in that world are characters like Daredevil and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Hero for Hire, and those characters are not going to be involved in an inter-warfare-universe-colliding incident,'" Loeb said. "That's what the Avengers do and they do it really, really well and those movies are incredible. We wanted to have an opportunity to be able to tell stories about our street-level heroes and how that they could possibly interact in the world of Marvel without it feeling like it's completely detached and by the same token feeling like it's part of that world. And it's very much how it is in the comics, which is that Daredevil -- yes, one could argue that at some point he's been an Avenger but hey, you know, the reality is that so has everybody else [laughs]. The idea is that this is the world of people who are there to protect the neighborhood and if you believe in the neighborhood the way you believe in the planet then the emotional context is just strong."

Asked how Marvel's Daredevil differs from the feature film, Loeb said, "When we started talking to our actors and to our directors, this is with all due respect to the film, if you want to know what we're not doing, go watch the movie. If you want to know what we're doing, it's very much steeped in the world of the comics, but it also has a life of its own and that's really what television and our films really do is that we take the best....We hope and we're very confident that this is the beginning of something that's very exciting on Netflix."

He wrapped by reminding listeners that the cast of the series will be appearing next month at New York Comic Con, at their panel on October 11.
http://comicbook.com/2014/09/21/marv...what-were-not/
Old 09-22-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Forget Avengers 2, this is the Marvel project that I'm most eagerly anticipating. However, it does make me a little sad to hear Loeb completely disregard the movie. I'll admit that it's not a good film, but I think it did more things right than people are willing to give credit. As far as the show is concerned, I just hope there's a certain level of grit/edge that we don't see in the movies. As fun as the movies are, they're all pretty bland and samey. I don't want a blood bath or anything. I just want something that feels a little less sterile.
Old 09-22-14, 07:01 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What's the latest on Power Man and Iron Fist ? that's what i want to see ?
Old 09-22-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
What's the latest on Power Man and Iron Fist ? that's what i want to see ?
I don't think they've announced the order yet other than obviously Daredevil being first.
Old 09-22-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know if it was mentioned yet but these shows will be released in 4K! I hope Netflix keeps a decent bitrate.
Old 09-22-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe Jessica Jones, then Power-Man, then Iron Fist
Old 09-23-14, 02:35 AM
Banned

I wonder what frequency of release these will have. I hope it's faster than one per year. Otherwise we wouldn't see the Defenders team-up until 2019. Not to mention any potential second seasons, such as Daredevil season 2, wouldn't be until 2020.

Daredevil = 2015
Jessica Jones = 2016
Power Man = 2017
Iron Fist = 2018
Defenders = 2019

I am hoping instead they do two per year, one in summer and one in winter.

Daredevil = summer 2015
Jessica Jones = winter 2015
Power Man = summer 2016
Iron Fist = winter 2016
Defenders = summer 2017

Also if Avengers 3 is 2018, then maybe the Defenders can be in that movie. It would be awesome to see a massive Avengers + Defenders + GOTG teamup to take on Thanos in Avengers 3.
Old 09-23-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer
I wonder what frequency of release these will have. I hope it's faster than one per year. Otherwise we wouldn't see the Defenders team-up until 2019. Not to mention any potential second seasons, such as Daredevil season 2, wouldn't be until 2020.

Daredevil = 2015
Jessica Jones = 2016
Power Man = 2017
Iron Fist = 2018
Defenders = 2019

I am hoping instead they do two per year, one in summer and one in winter.

Daredevil = summer 2015
Jessica Jones = winter 2015
Power Man = summer 2016
Iron Fist = winter 2016
Defenders = summer 2017

Also if Avengers 3 is 2018, then maybe the Defenders can be in that movie. It would be awesome to see a massive Avengers + Defenders + GOTG teamup to take on Thanos in Avengers 3.
I think it's going to be one every six months, with the option to keep them going as regular seasons if they do well. Right now it's just a mini-series, but I know Daredevil season two is already being mentally mapped out by the show runner.
Old 10-11-14, 03:42 PM
Banned

First concept art for Daredevil below which looks to be Murdock's pre-Daredevil costume. It looks like it was taken straight out of Frank Miller's origin story. Between this and the casting of Stick, it makes me think this show is going to be heavily based on Frank Miller's work. Very awesome.

Old 10-11-14, 05:45 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah one per year is too long and i thought power man and iron fist would be one show, like the comics

One of my fav comics, the old Heroes for Hire

Not fussed about Daredevil anymore, Ben Affleck killed that character for me

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.