Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Old 10-11-14, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Defenders coming to Net

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
yeah one per year is too long and i thought power man and iron fist would be one show, like the comics
No, they are each getting their own show. There's five series total, the four solo ones and then the Defenders teamup.

New picture of the pre-Daredevil costume:

Old 10-11-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Defenders coming to Net

Black? Early Daredevil should be yellow&red, then just red.

Old 10-11-14, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
The black costume is what Murdock wore before he actually became Daredevil.

It's from Frank Miller's Man Without Fear miniseries, which is the modern origin of Daredevil, and what the Netflix series is using as it's basis considering Stick has been cast. Stick is a character created by Frank Miller. Stick is Murdock's ninja sensei.*

*The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were originally created as a parody of Frank Miller's work on Daredevil. The ooze that blinded Murdock fell into the sewers and mutated the turtles. Also, Stick is Murdock's sensei as mentioned above. Splinter is the turtles' sensei. Stick=Splinter (both related to wood). The ninja clan in Daredevil is called the Hand. The ninja clan in TMNT is called the Foot.
Old 10-11-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

I guess no one remember when DD was on the Hulk.

Spoiler:
Old 10-12-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Night crime fighter wearing yellow. Proof the guy is blind.
Old 10-12-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I guess no one remember when DD was on the Hulk.

Spoiler:
that's what I was thinking, too. They also had Thor in one of those tv movies.
Old 10-12-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 751 Likes on 549 Posts

Vondie Curtis Hall as Ben Urich? Hmm.. not who I imagined. I was thinking Jackie Earle Haley.

New clips from the series that screened during the NYCC panel illustrated some of that conflict. In one, Murdock turns up wounded on the couch of Rosario Dawson’s Claire Temple, each side reluctant to reveal much to the other; in a stylized fight sequence, the lead character can be seen taking on shadowy villains, in one moment flashing back to a tortured childhood moment with his father.

In a more melancholy scene, Wilson Fisk (Vincent D’Onofrio), out of his Kingpin guise as he stands in front of a piece of artwork, is asked by love interest Vanessa (Ayelet Zurer) how the art makes him feel. “It makes me feel alone,” he said.

The panel also confirmed the casting of several new actors, including Zurer, Vondie Curtis Hall as Ben Urich, Bob Gunton as Leland Owlsley and Toby Leonard Moore as Wesley, and made mention that Murdoch’s Daredevil costume was inspired by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.’s “Daredevil: Man Without Fear” series.

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-12-14 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
The black costume is what Murdock wore before he actually became Daredevil.

It's from Frank Miller's Man Without Fear miniseries, which is the modern origin of Daredevil, and what the Netflix series is using as it's basis considering Stick has been cast. Stick is a character created by Frank Miller. Stick is Murdock's ninja sensei.*
I know, I've been reading DD since the '70s. While I love his earlier work on DD, especially Born Again, Miller's later work in MWF didn't really do much for me, so I never really considered it cannon; more of an alternate universe.
Old 10-12-14, 11:59 AM
Banned

I know, I've been reading DD since the '70s. While I love his earlier work on DD, especially Born Again, Miller's later work in MWF didn't really do much for me, so I never really considered it cannon; more of an alternate universe.
It's definitely canon (not cannon which is a large gun like you see on a pirate ship) and not some alternate universe thing. Every Daredevil writer since Miller has continued on with what Miller started, especially Bendis and Brubaker.

Miller redefined Daredevil just as much as he did Batman with Batman Year One.

Edit to add: Sorry, I just realized you said you liked Miller's early Daredevil work, just not the Man without Fear miniseries. I thought you initially said you didn't consider any of Miller's work canon.

Last edited by taffer; 10-12-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 840 Likes on 707 Posts

I'm not that happy with the costume but I didn't expect the traditional red outfit anyway. This is going to be Daredevil as a street-level fighter, not the Daredevil that teams up with Spider-Man.
Old 10-12-14, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm not that happy with the costume but I didn't expect the traditional red outfit anyway. This is going to be Daredevil as a street-level fighter, not the Daredevil that teams up with Spider-Man.
You do know this is what Murdock wore before he actually became Daredevil, right? It's been mentioned several times already.

Think of it kinda like Tony Stark building that prototype armor in the cave before he actually built the real Iron Man armor.

I'm positive the classic red costume we all know and love will show up after they get through the whole origin part. Marvel hasn't been afraid to use the comic costumes in their movies and TV shows, unlike say Fox...
Old 10-12-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's definitely canon (not cannon which is a large gun like you see on a pirate ship) and not some alternate universe thing. Every Daredevil writer since Miller has continued on with what Miller started, especially Bendis and Brubaker.

Miller redefined Daredevil just as much as he did Batman with Batman Year One.

Edit to add: Sorry, I just realized you said you liked Miller's early Daredevil work, just not the Man without Fear miniseries. I thought you initially said you didn't consider any of Miller's work canon.
You still didn't read what I wrote. I didn't care for Miller's Mw/oF, so, I don't consider that min-series to be canon, I'd just rather ignore it. It also came along way later, and re-did a lot of things, which I didn't care for as well.
Old 10-12-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 417 Posts

Just because you don't consider it canon doesn't mean anything. It's official Marvel canon.
Old 10-12-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

They've talked outright about his traditional costume in comparison to the movie, there's no reason to think it won't show up in the show.
Old 10-12-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

He needs the real costume, might as well put superman in a blue t shirt while we're at it.

Btw, what was first that Hulk DD or the FM one referenced here earlier?
Old 10-12-14, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whotony
He needs the real costume, might as well put superman in a blue t shirt while we're at it.
Funny you should say that, because in the New 52 origin, Clark was running around in a t-shirt and jeans before he "officially" became Superman.

And the real Daredevil costume will be in this TV series. Why can't people understand that this is what Murdock wore BEFORE he actually becomes Daredevil. It's not really a hard concept to grasp. Murdock gets powers, starts fighting crime in street clothes, and THEN LATER becomes an official superhero and gets an official costume. It's not like stuff like this has never happened before in comics. Look at the New 52 Superman example above for instance.

Btw, what was first that Hulk DD or the FM one referenced here earlier?
The Lou Ferrigno Hulk TV series was in the 70s. Frank Miller's Man Without Fear miniseries was in the very early 90s.
Old 10-12-14, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Hulk DD was first. He was 1989.

But the FM design was different from it. It was just sweats and a cloth around his head. And some sneakers. MWF was 1993.

I don't think Miller took inspiration from the Hulk DD.

the Netflix DD looks fine for an origin aspect. Marvel loves their characters. I don't think he won't have his classic Red look at some point. This DD looks cool though. The bands hanging off look cool.

And the real Daredevil costume will be in this TV series. Why can't people understand that this is what Murdock wore BEFORE he actually becomes Daredevil. It's not really a hard concept to grasp. Murdock gets powers, starts fighting crime in street clothes, and THEN LATER becomes an official superhero and gets an official costume. It's not like stuff like this has never happened before in comics. Look at the New 52 Superman example above for instance.
I don't think you entirely grasp that not everyone knows comics. His statement is valid. He has a point, misguided, but still a point to be said. And that's ok.
Old 10-12-14, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't think you entirely grasp that not everyone knows comics. His statement is valid. He has a point, misguided, but still a point to be said. And that's ok.
Knowing comics is irrelevant. It's been mentioned several times in this thread that it is Murdock before he becomes Daredevil. Yet people still act like the red costume isn't going show up. Marvel isn't afraid to use comic costumes in their movies and TV shows. They're not like Fox.
Old 10-12-14, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But it's not a big deal that people think that either.
Old 10-12-14, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
But it's not a big deal that people think that either.
So its not a big deal if someone thinks it's not going to be a traditional superhero show because the red costume isn't there and deciding not to watch the show because of that. Are you serious?

And besides, if it has been mentioned that this is pre-Daredevil, then all it shows it that people aren't reading posts and just skipping right to the end.
Old 10-12-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Knowing comics is irrelevant. It's been mentioned several times in this thread that it is Murdock before he becomes Daredevil. Yet people still act like the red costume isn't going show up. Marvel isn't afraid to use comic costumes in their movies and TV shows. They're not like Fox.
As someone that has consumed superhero entertainment for decades, I've grown very bored with the origins phase of most heroes. They almost always pander to casual fans and have become dreadfully repetitive over the years. I'm not the biggest fan of Miller's take on DD's early years, no matter what Marvel declares is in continuity at the moment. I do enjoy Miller's take on DD's later years.

I'm still going to watch, but it could be two seasons or more before we see the classic Daredevil costume. The poorer the ratings, the faster we see it.
Old 10-12-14, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
As someone that has consumed superhero entertainment for decades, I've grown very bored with the origins phase of most heroes. They almost always pander to casual fans and have become dreadfully repetitive over the years. I'm not the biggest fan of Miller's take on DD's early years, no matter what Marvel declares is in continuity at the moment. I do enjoy Miller's take on DD's later years.

I'm still going to watch, but it could be two seasons or more before we see the classic Daredevil costume. The poorer the ratings, the faster we see it.
It's not going to take two or more seasons to get the red costume. That's just silly. He's not going to be in those black street clothes for all 12 episodes.

I agree origins are overdone, but that's usually just with the superheroes everyone already knows such as Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man. Lesser known superheroes benefit from an origin story. Also, TV is different from movies. Movies have 2 hours to tell a story, so wasting too much time on the origin is bad. TV has 12-20 hours to tell a story, so it's quite a different thing.

And what's wrong with "pandering to the casual fans" anyway? You do realize that millions and millions of people watch movies and TV while only a few thousand people read comics, right? Not everyone knows these characters, so it's important to give backstory. What is a "casual fan" anyway? Are you saying that people who watch the show but don't read the comic are a casual fan? That's pretty elitist...
Old 10-13-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A casual fan might be a person that has seen all the Marvel movies but doesn't know much about the characters beyond that very limiting storytelling environment. Daredevil really hasn't gotten much exposure with mainstream audiences outside of Affleck's movie. He is rarely even seen in the cartoons, I guess due to his name.
Old 10-13-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not going to take two or more seasons to get the red costume. That's just silly. He's not going to be in those black street clothes for all 12 episodes.

I agree origins are overdone, but that's usually just with the superheroes everyone already knows such as Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man. Lesser known superheroes benefit from an origin story. Also, TV is different from movies. Movies have 2 hours to tell a story, so wasting too much time on the origin is bad. TV has 12-20 hours to tell a story, so it's quite a different thing.

And what's wrong with "pandering to the casual fans" anyway? You do realize that millions and millions of people watch movies and TV while only a few thousand people read comics, right? Not everyone knows these characters, so it's important to give backstory. What is a "casual fan" anyway? Are you saying that people who watch the show but don't read the comic are a casual fan? That's pretty elitist...
I dunno, look how long it took Clark to get a cape in Smallville. It would not surprise me to see this black outfit for the bulk, if not all, of the first series. Just like it took a full season to get the mask & full outfit for Green Arrow, or Cap from his first movie to Avengers.

Daredevil is being written like a 12 hour movie and I wouldn't be surprised to see it all take place over a few days and leave the transformation to a real suit for the break between this and the next season. Like we'll see him think up a reason for the red suit, but not see it until he's in Cage or something.
Old 10-13-14, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I dunno, look how long it took Clark to get a cape in Smallville. It would not surprise me to see this black outfit for the bulk, if not all, of the first series. Just like it took a full season to get the mask & full outfit for Green Arrow, or Cap from his first movie to Avengers.

Daredevil is being written like a 12 hour movie and I wouldn't be surprised to see it all take place over a few days and leave the transformation to a real suit for the break between this and the next season. Like we'll see him think up a reason for the red suit, but not see it until he's in Cage or something.
Smallville was never intended to actually be a Superman show, just like Gotham was never intended to be a Batman show.

Am I not remembering right, but I thought Oliver did have his Arrow costume right away in the first season? It's just the mask that he never had until season 2.

The first Captain America movie wasn't technically a superhero movie. It was a World War II movie. Cap doesn't technically become a superhero until he wakes up in the present day at the end of the movie.

The Daredevil TV series isn't called Hell's Kitchen (like Smallville or Gotham naming convention). It's called Daredevil. Murdock will definitely become Daredevil before the end of the season. We already know that there is a Defenders series planned soon after these first seasons end. Murdock is definitely going to become Daredevil before that happens.

Remember that Marvel Studios isn't DC or Fox. Marvel isn't afraid to use comic costumes in their movies and TV shows.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.