Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many of these 1970's PBS KIDS SHOWS do you remember?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How many of these 1970's PBS KIDS SHOWS do you remember?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How many of these 1970's PBS KIDS SHOWS do you remember?

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The only way I can say this makes me feel old is in saying these kids shows were so much better in comparison to whats on for kids today.
The Backyardigans, The Wonderpets, And Ni Hao, Kai Lan are shows my son watches and they are FUCKING AWESOME!!
Old 08-19-09, 06:30 PM

Tommy Ceez, you are correct, it was Clyde the Frog, but I'm not sure where I came up with the Wombat character, maybe he played imagination on his show like every other PBS character! It took me a while to find any video of him, there's only one YouTube compilation I can find the has a brief appearance by Clyde, enough to bring back the creeps! Ha, thanks for setting my memory straight(er).
Old 08-19-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to love 3-2-1 Contact, especially the Bloodhound Gang.
Also Reading Rainbow and the theme song were a hit with me as a kid.
Old 08-19-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Reading Rainbow was classic for me growing up in the 80's of course along with Mr. Roger's, Carmen Sandiego, 3-2-1 Contact.
Old 10-29-09, 11:11 PM

Fist of all, I just have to say thank you to everyone here for re-igniting some memories that were almost totally faded here. I can't believe I actually got to see pics/vids of some of these old shows I used to watch!

I have one more with only a few vague details to go on, wondering if anyone here can bring it back for me. All I remember is:

I think the premise was a young boy working in his grandpa's store or something. I believe they used this setting to teach math related stuff. I kind of remember some kind of puppet like an small owl or something as well... I just have a memory of one episode where that owl guy was teaching how to measure things with a measuring tape? Wish I had more to go on...anyone?
Old 10-30-09, 12:01 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I remember All About You and the hostess saying words like "habitat" over and over!

Inside/Out and Think About It were great!

John Robbins had some amazing storytelling shows during which he would draw a large illustration from a scene in a story as someone read a chapter. They had various titles like Cover to Cover, The Book Bird, Storybound, Readit with John Robbins. Of those, I loved the claymation opening of The Book Bird the best.

What's the name of the show that had a series of carnival-like illustrations and calliope music playing during its closing credits? "Dah-doo-di-doo! Di-doo! Di-doo-di-doo-doo!"

And what about The Write Channel with the little grasshopper who would write newspaper stories and tell kids to write in with the ending to a story presented in only pictures, no dialogue, with creepy music? His secret word was, "Palabra-jot! Palabra-jot! Now WATCH!"

Wow, no clips but a goldmine of information is here: http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/ait.html

Last edited by story; 10-30-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone remember Hodgepodge Lodge?

How did no one mention Mister Rogers' Neighborhood or The Electric Company?!
Old 10-30-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I remember All About You and the hostess saying words like "habitat" over and over!

Inside/Out and Think About It were great!

John Robbins had some amazing storytelling shows during which he would draw a large illustration from a scene in a story as someone read a chapter. They had various titles like Cover to Cover, The Book Bird, Storybound, Readit with John Robbins. Of those, I loved the claymation opening of The Book Bird the best.

What's the name of the show that had a series of carnival-like illustrations and calliope music playing during its closing credits? "Dah-doo-di-doo! Di-doo! Di-doo-di-doo-doo!"

And what about The Write Channel with the little grasshopper who would write newspaper stories and tell kids to write in with the ending to a story presented in only pictures, no dialogue, with creepy music? His secret word was, "Palabra-jot! Palabra-jot! Now WATCH!"

Wow, no clips but a goldmine of information is here: http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/ait.html
That one sounds a lot like Pinwheel, which aired on Nickelodeon.
Old 10-30-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
They were mentioned in the OP.
Old 10-30-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zoom I remember as well. We're going to Zoom, Zoom a zoom.
Old 10-30-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

When I was a kid, I'd watch NET, the predecessor to PBS. I'd wait until 4:30, which was the time the station began broadcasting. Then I'd watch The Friendly Giant (a puppet show), then Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, and What's New (a wonderful science program). I didn't like it as much after King Friday 13th and Queen Sara had a baby named Prince Tuesday.

I did write a letter to Zoom. I didn't understand what a stamped, self-addressed envelope was, and didn't include one. They sent me a card anyway.
Old 10-31-09, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
That one sounds a lot like Pinwheel, which aired on Nickelodeon.
Thanks, but it's not Pinwheel. This show had a female host who talked about growing up and making good decisions. I remember one of the carnival drawings during the credits (which had calliope music playing) was a large man in a red pinstripe suit and a straw hat (like a vaudevillian) and a little boy looking at him, holding balloons.

Anyone? (See my post above for more info.)
Old 10-31-09, 12:13 PM

Zoom, by the way, is still on. My brother watched it in the 1990s and I saw an episode recently while channel surfing.
Old 10-31-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think this is PBS, but anyone remember these?

Marlo and the Magic Movie Machine

Great Space Coaster

Old 10-31-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I used to watch New Zoo Review at home from school during lunch time.
In philly we had Captain Noah and also Hickory Dickory Dock, and another show The Gene London Show.

We didn't get to see this episode o tv though New Zoo.
<object width="464" height="345" id="429554" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" alt="New Zoo Review Blooper Funny Videos"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDI5NTU0"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDI5NTU0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="345"></embed></object>
New Zoo Review Blooper - Watch more Funny Videos

Last edited by whotony; 10-31-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 06:03 PM

321 contact was the best!
Old 11-10-09, 11:23 PM

i remember the catch phrase "kalobrajot kalobrajot" with a turtle or frog. This is killing me!Late 1970's to early 1980's
Old 11-11-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, but it's not Pinwheel. This show had a female host who talked about growing up and making good decisions. I remember one of the carnival drawings during the credits (which had calliope music playing) was a large man in a red pinstripe suit and a straw hat (like a vaudevillian) and a little boy looking at him, holding balloons.

Anyone? (See my post above for more info.)

That's "All About You"
Old 11-11-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Davidmd
Tommy Ceez, you are correct, it was Clyde the Frog, but I'm not sure where I came up with the Wombat character, maybe he played imagination on his show like every other PBS character! It took me a while to find any video of him, there's only one YouTube compilation I can find the has a brief appearance by Clyde, enough to bring back the creeps! Ha, thanks for setting my memory straight(er).
Im actually told by a friend that Clyde Frog segments appeared in a Wonder Wombat show
Old 12-02-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What do you suppose the chances of these shows ever making it to DVD (or even a burn on demand service) are? Do master tapes even exist for the majority of them?

I know that there a Zoom compliation on disc and they released some box sets of the Electric Company and old school Sesame Street, but do you think there is hope for The Big Blue Marble, The Letter People, 3-2-1 Contact, Square One, etc? Or other shows like Pinwheel, Today's Special, The Great Space Coaster?

While I realize that they probably don't have much mass marketability, I would hope they would offer them for educational purposes - although, I'm sure some educators would consider them too dated to be effective.
Old 01-19-10, 08:01 PM

Might I ask if anyone remembers a PBS show that played in the Boston area that was , I believe, Canadian that was about a town called either Millville or Miltown. It had one of those marionette birds made out of styrofoam balls, strings and feathers. I believe its name was "Alouette". There was a rather chubby man and a young boy around 12 years old. and it took place in a small workshop, and the boy would come to him with problems about school, or whatever and the man would give him "words of wisdom". And there would always be a moral to the story and they would throw in the occasional french saying with a translation , of course. I remember the show from when I was a kid but cannot for the life of me think of the name of the show. Someone help me PLEASE !!........
Old 02-19-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Im actually told by a friend that Clyde Frog segments appeared in a Wonder Wombat show
It was the opposite of that. It was The Clyde Frog Show, and Wonder Wombat was Clyde's favorite superhero. There was one episode where Clyde watched the Wonder Wombat show on TV, and then tried to emulate some stunt he saw on the show, getting hurt in the process. Something like that.

Last edited by Matt; 02-19-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I miss the Gigglesnort Hotel.
Old 02-20-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Are you thinking of the Clyde Frog Show?

Kick ass.
Old 02-20-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I remember that too. The editor was the black woman who was later on Carmen Sandiego. Her character was named Red Green, of all things.

Man, I remember the local public TV station running a lot of these things when I was a kid. I also remember that because they never ran ads during the educational programming (even for other shows) they would sometimes fill the time between shows with cards counting down how many minutes to go. Those always seemed to go on forever, but I'm sure it was never more than five minutes.

Last edited by Jason; 02-20-10 at 05:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.