Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 08:16 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Breaking: Netflix and Comcast have reached a peering agreement

Consumers’ troubles with online video may be subsiding — at least for Comcast customers. Comcast and Netflix appear to have resolved their differences over network peering, which has frustrated many Netflix users over the last few months with slow, intermittent service as a result of the dispute over the business of interconnecting networks.

Bryan Berg, a co-founder of App.net, posted a traceroute on Github Friday showing traffic data between Netflix and Comcast that appears to show the two companies have come to some sort of direct interconnection agreement. Multiple sources in the industry said that interpretation is correct, but declined to comment further. One source noted that it was a recent development. The two firms are peering in the Equinix San Jose data center, based on the traceroute.

The first question is if this is a paid peering agreement or a settlement-free agreement, where both sides agree to exchange traffic for free. Peering is an arrangement between two bandwidth providers — the companies that control the physical backbone of the internet — in which they send and receive traffic from each other for free. The logic is that the traffic sent from one network to another is reciprocated without adding extra costs and hurdles. This makes the web more efficient and redundant because companies don’t need to build out a network to connect every single service to every person who wants to consume that service.

But as a few dominant content providers have become the top sources of content on the internet, and the question of how online video will affect networks has grown more complicated, the conversations around peering became more about business as opposed to engineering. This has led to disputes and a poor quality broadband experience for consumers. Comcast customers have been loudly complaining that their Netflix streams were slow during prime time, for example.

Neither Netflix nor Comcast could be reached for comment about the deal.

This deal marks a detente of sorts in the peering and interconnection battles that Netflix has faced with at least one ISP.

There are two ways of interpreting this news. The first is that Netflix, worried about the threat of the FCC dismantling network neutrality and allowing ISPs to start charging content providers for delivering their traffic, decided to make a deal early when it could get lower prices. The second is the opposite; that Comcast, trying to appear benevolent as it seeks to create the largest broadband provider in the country via a merger with Time Warner Cable, peered with Netflix to avoid regulators asking tough questions.

FULL ARTICLE - http://gigaom.com/2014/02/21/comcast-netflix-peering/
Old 02-21-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I set my settings to play next episode automatically but it doesn't do it it kicks me back out to choose an episode.
Old 02-22-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

My Netflix service on Verizon has been terrible in the past month. I barely can stream above SD resolution on a supposed 50 Mbps connection.
Old 02-23-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Two big companies get into a fight and the consumers get caught in the crossfire. Great. At least I have AT&T, so I'm not affected yet.
Old 02-23-14, 02:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Two big companies get into a fight and the consumers get caught in the crossfire. Great. At least I have AT&T, so I'm not affected yet.
Old 02-23-14, 03:43 PM

Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast For Access to Its Broadband Network

In a landmark deal, Netflix has agreed to pay Comcast for direct access to the company's broadband system. The announcement comes after months of dispute between Netflix and broadband providers about who should pay for increasing bandwidth loads.

If you haven't been following the streaming wars, here's the basic gist: As Netflix has grown, an argument over who should pay for the increasing loads—the broadband provider or Netflix—has emerged. In the meantime, Netflix has been buying its bandwidth from a company called Cogent, which acts as the middle man between Netflix and Comcast or Verizon, which in turn deliver the stream to you. But that agreement hasn't worked out very well.

Under this new deal, Netflix will access Comcast's network directly—or, almost directly, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first reported the news this afternoon. "Under the deal, Netflix won't be able to place its servers inside Comcast's data centers, which Netflix had wanted," the paper explains. "Instead, Comcast will connect to Netflix's servers at data centers operated by other companies."

----------------------------------

What does this all mean for you? For one thing, Comcast customers are due to see some serious improvement when it comes to streaming video. But it's an ominous sign for the ongoing battle for net neutrality—a far more complex issue at stake here. In January, a federal court dealt a death blow to net neutrality when it struck down the FCC's open Internet rules, which demand, essentially, that all data be treated equal.

FULL ARTICLE - http://gizmodo.com/report-netflix-ag...bro-1529115565
Old 02-23-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

^^^ So if I'm understanding that correctly, Netflix has to pay Comcast to have it's subscribers access it via their servers? That tells me that Netflix Comcast subscribers are eating up so much of Comcast's bandwidth that they now want a piece of the pie & get paid for it?
Old 02-23-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long until we get to witness Google Fiber strangle all of these internet companies to death? 10-15 years? I eagerly anticipate the day.
Old 02-23-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
You're probably right.
Old 02-23-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

So are these two companies FINALLY admitting that indeed there were issues with streaming Netflix over Comcast networks?!?

Good lord, they're like children.
Old 02-24-14, 04:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Verizon and AT&T are also make internet traffic deals with Netflix:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/v...-with-netflix/
Old 02-24-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

This will most likely either raise internet prices from your ISP or Netflix will have to raise their rates.
Old 02-24-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This will most likely either raise internet prices from your ISP or Netflix will have to raise their rates.

Supposedly...SUPPOSEDLY, some were saying this may actually have the opposite effect since Netflix no longer has to go through a third party or something to that effect. I'll believe it when I don't see it (the rate hike).
Old 02-26-14, 03:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

so when i streamed New Girl the other night i pressed the display button and saw this was streaming in Super HD on my TV.

what exactly does Super HD mean?
Old 02-26-14, 03:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It's better than regular HD, isn't it.
Old 02-26-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

It's faster then a speeding bullet.
Old 02-26-14, 04:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
It's better than regular HD, isn't it.
i don't think i could tell the difference quite frankly. it looked good, sure, but it is a newer show so it would look good compared to say, Scrubs, which i streamed as well and it said something like 480 SD and it looked it's age. it looked like crap, honestly. i was almost hankering to get out my DVD to compare, but didn't feel like it.
Old 02-26-14, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what exactly does Super HD mean?
Regular HD is 3850 kbps. Super HD is 5800 kbps.
Old 02-26-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't "Super HD" supposed to be full 1080p? As I've found out recently that my Blu Ray player can't play Netflix higher than 720p anyway, I suppose it's kind off academic.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i don't think i could tell the difference quite frankly. it looked good, sure, but it is a newer show so it would look good compared to say, Scrubs, which i streamed as well and it said something like 480 SD and it looked it's age. it looked like crap, honestly. i was almost hankering to get out my DVD to compare, but didn't feel like it.
If you watched it on DVD, your player would at least upscale it, which Netflix doesn't do. I have friend who insist that I'm foolish to buy Blu-Ray of movies I already own because upscales DVDs look the same. I ignore them.
Old 02-26-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Yes^
Old 02-28-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/27/netflix-fitbit-hack/

This sounds pretty cool: if you're wearing a fitbit and watching something on Netflix, when you fall asleep, netflix can pause whatever you're watching.
Old 02-28-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else with Samsung devices unable to stream? They told me it's a "known issue" which would be fixed, and so far, not so much.
Old 03-03-14, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My Netflix service on Verizon has been terrible in the past month. I barely can stream above SD resolution on a supposed 50 Mbps connection.
I'm in the same boat. 50/35 and it always looks like crap. I have FiOS, too.
Old 03-03-14, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Anyone else with Samsung devices unable to stream? They told me it's a "known issue" which would be fixed, and so far, not so much.
Yeah, happened to me last night. Said I wasn't connected to the internet. I went on my Xbone to stream, and it worked fine.
Old 03-04-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I've been having issues streaming on my Samsung Blu ray. Lots of starts and stops.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.