Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess that's true. I was mostly going off of the fact that both of The Avengers films so far have been released at the beginning of May.
Yeah, I thought of that too, and I don't really know. July does break with the May release tradition, but then again 2019 breaks with the three year tradition as well. That and it also makes phase 3 have too many movies compared to the previous phases.

2017 seems strange as well with three MCU movies.
Old 07-20-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Marvel's success is working against them. Captain America & Thor were hits so they get sequels. GOTG might be a hit so that needs a sequel. Of course if Marvel will only release 2-3 movies a year, now how do they get new characters out when trying to get the sequels out.
Old 07-20-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is only the first Avengers sequel, I don't think that's enough to say there's a tradition or pattern to Avengers movie releases.
Old 07-21-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
So I wonder what the other films are on tap. Here's the current schedule -

http://io9.com/marvel-schedules-movi...7969773/+Fahey

May 1: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

July 17: Ant-Man

May 6: Captain America 3

July 8: Doctor Strange

May 5: Thor 3

July 27: Untitled

November 3: Untitled

July 6: Untitled

November 2: Untitled

May 3: Untitled

Another Thor seems like a given; and like the article speculates, I imagine a GotG sequel so long as the first movie is a decent success, and another Avengers would fit in there. Wonder if Iron Man is done for good if they'll throw some money at Downey for another go.
My thoughts:

May 1: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

July 17: Ant-Man

May 6: Captain America 3

July 8: Doctor Strange

May 5: Thor 3

July 27: GOTG 2: Planet Hulk

November 3: Black Panther

July 6: Captain Marvel

November 2: Inhumans

May 3: Avengers 3
Old 07-21-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feige talked about what has been discussed one established franchise, one new franchise in the coming years:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/21...ing-slate-plan
Old 07-22-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well hello there:

John Boyega @JBoyega · 2h

Currently booking flight to wakanda
Old 07-22-14, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's a bit too young for T'Challa. I'd prefer a more seasoned actor for T'Challa.

Chiwetel Ejiofor would be really good in acting against someone like Stark and Rogers. Hell... Any of them. That Character is so interesting to me.

Even as a child, while still never being a top fav of mine, I found the idea that an isolated country in Africa being so advanced in comparison to the, for example, comic USA with this character as its king wildly fascinating. Add in that he is pretty damn smart and very tactical. Even bettering Stark at his own game. Also he didn't need to prove anything to anyone while Stark, Richards, and other brainy heroes needed to have their knowledge to be publically acknowleged. Not T'Challa. Very interesting guy.

I do await for crazy white people to get pissed that a hero's name be like that of the revolutionary group of the past. Even though he was created before they were. But you know... White people.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-22-14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Well hello there:
I'm pretty sure he's publicly campaigned for this job for quite some time. So, it might just be him trying to drum up some attention for him to get the job.
Old 07-23-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah he is a bit young, unless they are going origin story. If not Ejolfor, I like Chadwick Boseman as #2.

And Downey speaking about Iron Man 4, looks like he leaves the door open to do more movies:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/07/2...jr-iron-man-4/

“It’s down to Kevin [Feige, Marvel Studios president] and Ike [Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel Entertainment] and Disney to come to us with what the proposal is, and that’s on us to agree or disagree,” Downey said. “When things are going great, there’s a lot of agreement.”

So far, so good. Each Marvel sequel has outgrossed its predecessor, and Iron Man remains the MVP. And Downey knows it.

“Right now, this has just been swell, hasn’t it?” the actor said with a big smile, during a break in filming on Avengers sequel. “This has been a really good one and it feels good and we’re having a good time.”
Old 07-23-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

There really is no one else to play the Black Panther roll other than Ejolfor. Anybody else will be a disappointment.
Old 07-23-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
There really is no one else to play the Black Panther roll other than Ejolfor. Anybody else will be a disappointment.
If the thought that Black Panther is going to be the new 'leader' in Avengers 2.0, then Ejolfor is definitely the way to go.

I really do think Chadwick Boseman is perfect if you wanted a little younger.
Old 07-23-14, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much of an origin story does T'Challa need? He's the king of Wakanda. Highly educated and Trained to be a badass.

At most you'd need some backstory maybe but he's really a man defined by his own approach to things. Wakanda probably would need more backstory than T'Challa. I wonder how much the world in the MCU actually knows of Wakanda? Aside from actually existing. Would be very cool to see it cuz it totally isn't what generically one would think of an African nation. Always found that cool.

Don't think we will see him in the next Avengers at all, in the meat of the narrative.

I don't think it'd work out well to have someone THAT superior in many things to be young. Stark and Rogers need someone more experienced. Older is better instead of early 20s.

Based off of black actors right now and those not associated with Marvel before, Ejiofor could get that character down perfectly. Plus he has a great voice.

I'd prefer Hounsou but he's already an MCU character. Jesus, he's 50 now? Damn. Black don't crack rings true for him. Amazing voice. Solid actor.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-23-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Robert Downey Jr., the MVP of the Marvel movie universe and highest-earning actor in Hollywood, is open to “Iron Man 4,” because, well, why not?

“It's that thing of: Why give up the belt when it feels like you can barely get jabbed?” Downey said when Entertainment Weekly popped the big question on the set of “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

After tense salary negotiations in 2013, Marvel announced Downey would return as Tony Stark for two “Avengers” sequels, but did not mention a deal for another “Iron Man” movie.

While Downey suggested he's not ready to retire as Marvel's man in the iron mask any time soon, he did firmly place the ball in the studio's court. And since “Iron Man 3” grossed $1.2 billion in theaters around the world last year, it's hard to imagine his employers don't want to play.

“It's down to Kevin [Feige] and Ike [Perlmutter] and Disney to come to us with what the proposal is, and that's on us to agree or disagree,” Downey said. “When things are going great, there's a lot of agreement.”

Fans shouldn't get their hopes up, though, because as Downey puts it, “The future, as usual, is uncertain.”
Old 07-23-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
How much of an origin story does T'Challa need? He's the king of Wakanda.
I'm all ready lost.
Old 07-23-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Marval has announced it will release another untitled movie on May 4, 2018.
Old 07-23-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Either way.. some Marvel Character will take that spot. Not sure why Sony just didn't claim that date for Spidey 3 since it was already set for Spidey 4. Though it would be interesting to have two Marvel films open the same day. Would never happen, but it's just an interesting thought to leverage against Sony.
Old 07-23-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Speculation is that it's the date for Avengers 3.
Old 07-23-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would think the final film in phase 3 would be avengers.

Maybe iron man 4 with the new date
Old 07-23-14, 08:23 PM

Who's to say that that May of 2018 wouldn't be the final film of phase 3? It's exactly 3 years after Avengers 2 (which is being released exactly 3 years after Avengers)

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-23-14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Who's to say that that May of 2018 wouldn't be the final film of phase 3? It's exactly 3 years after Avengers 2 (which is being released exactly 3 years after Avengers)
I believe the dates released were all suppose to be phase 3
Old 07-23-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I love how 'claiming the date' has become this chess game between studios. I think we'll get confirmation of the 2016 slate of Capn 3, and (probably) Dr. Strange at Comic Con. I'll put Avengers 3 down for the May 2018 slot - my reasoning is that film should still be primarily about the existing characters... phase 4 would be when we get the bulk of new character movies. GOTG2 may be a sort of direct lead-in to Avengers 3...I might've slotted it for Nov '17 but it's unlikely Disney would want it so close to a SW film....
Old 07-24-14, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I believe the dates released were all suppose to be phase 3
I hadn't read that anywhere.
Old 07-24-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I hadn't read that anywhere.
You are right, it is more websites pontificating that is where Phase 3 ends.
Old 07-24-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SCreenRant hopes for this announcement at Comic Con (They essentially say almost zero chance, but dare to dream

http://screenrant.com/new-marvel-mov...ic-con-2014/2/

Wait, what is this nonsense? Spidey is at Sony! Yes, it is and yes, this is the highly unlikely (read: maybe even impossible at this point) item on this list, yet it’s still something we want to see. The Spider-Man franchise is not where it needs to be for Sony to be fully confident in it and as a result The Amazing Spider-Man 3 was delayed and still sits without a release date while reports point to the franchise’s first spinoff, Sinister Six, being in trouble as well – even potentially cancelled. After The Amazing Spider-Man 2 brought in the series’ worst reviews and financial results, it’s time to look back on the rumors started by a few (quickly deleted) Tweets from Hollywood screenwriter Max Landis (see here) who said Marvel got back Spider-Man.

Even if they didn’t, Marvel and Sony have a working relationship in taking turns hosting the opening summer weekend of May and of course, Marvel and Disney have the merchandising rights to Spidey movies – something they don’t have with Fox’s X-Men and Fantastic Four. Hence, TASM 2 having a grand toy line this year, alongside Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, while there’s nothing for X-Men: Days of Future Past.

While it’s an overblown factoid, Sony and Marvel had the slightest of conversations about putting the Oscorp tower in The Avengers but nothing came of it. Still, the idea that Sony could strike a deal with Marvel to have Peter Parker show up in Phase 3 would help both brands tremendously from a buzz and merchandising standpoint, even if studio execs may not want that and while Marvel doesn’t need it. Spider-Man has been and still is the long-time top seller for Marvel Comics, but his movies have fans burnt out. Spidey’s not the cool kid on the block anymore with Marvel Studios blowing their universe open with characters like a talking raccoon who at this point is more exciting than the web slinger. And with X-Men: Days of Future Past offering a successful rebirth to Twentieth Century Fox’s Marvel franchise, it might be time for Spidey to come home. Or not. We’ll see. Again, this is unlikely, bordering on “there’s no chance.”

They also want a Black Panther, Ms.Marvel, Inhumans, Nova movie to be announced.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 07-24-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Slightly OT, but you can get access to to Marvel Unlimited 15k digital comics for one month for 99 cents. A great way to get some background on Marvel's properties and future work (Ms.Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange):

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/marvel-comics-unlimited/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.