Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 07-18-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Looks like Marvel has Submariner back:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/18...make-it-says-/

There has been a lot of speculation and rumors concerning a movie based on Namor, the Sub-Mariner. These rumors dont just concern whether or not the movie will be made, but which studio could actually make it. Confusion over who actually controls the film rights to the Marvel character has given way to rumors that Universal Pictures, possibly in conjunction with Legendary Pictures, actually has a Namor film in the works.

According to Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige, if anybody is going to make a Namor movie, it will be Marvel.

IGN asked Feige if it was even possible for Universal or Legendary to make a Namor film, and Feige simply said No.

So if not them, then Marvel? Feige says its complicated.

Yes, but its slightly more complicated than that, he explained. Lets put it this way there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.
Old 07-18-14, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

If only we could have had the original Torch (Fox), Namor, and Cap in a film together. Hell, it would have been amazing to see bits of Marvels #1 as an adaptation of some sort. Reading that as a kid was amazing.

Damn these rights issues! Ha.
Old 07-18-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 815 Likes on 386 Posts

Could be something similar to the Incredible Hulk, where Universal still technically had it, but wasn't interested in making another one, so they let Marvel make the movie under the deal that they still distributed it. Marvel/Disney probably wouldn't want to do that today, so something else would need to be worked out.
Old 07-18-14, 09:55 AM
Banned

Yeah. Thus what I'm guessing Marvel is at with Namor.
Old 07-18-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If only we could have had the original Torch (Fox), Namor, and Cap in a film together. Hell, it would have been amazing to see bits of Marvels #1 as an adaptation of some sort. Reading that as a kid was amazing.

Damn these rights issues! Ha.
Since the original Human Torch wasn't Fantastic Four, Marvel should have it.
Old 07-18-14, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Since the original Human Torch wasn't Fantastic Four, Marvel should have it.
Marvel does have the original android Human Torch. He was an easter egg in Captain America: The First Avenger.

http://badassdigest.com/2011/07/27/d...first-avenger/

Old 07-18-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I would love an Invaders film. Or at least a small portion of Captain America 3 being a flashback to the Invaders.
Old 07-18-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thoughts on who would be in Avengers 2.0?

My biased thoughts:

DR Strange
Black Panther
Captain America (Falcon or Winter Soldier)
Ant-Man
Wasp
Vision
Thor (Alfrid Odinsdottir)
Hulk
Old 07-18-14, 11:55 AM
Banned

I thought Fox had all ownership of the title?

I saw him at the expo but thought the name was owned by Fox?
Old 07-18-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The Human Torch probably falls into the scope gap that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver exist in - Both can use the character. Fox gets the FF version, Marvel has the Golden Age variant.
Old 07-18-14, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Captain America (Falcon or Winter Soldier)
The actor who played the Winter Soldier said he signed a nine movie contract, so that does make me think they are going in that direction.

http://www.newsarama.com/20568-capta...ture-deal.html
Old 07-18-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think Namor could be one of their most original films, if done right. He's not really a hero, not really a villain. You could have some flashback scenes of him fighting various Avengers, from his perspective. The whole undersea backdrop---lots of potential.
Old 07-18-14, 02:27 PM
Banned

And well...the uh...mid credits scene seems like that tentacled organiization that you must stand attention to will have a major thing to do with The Avengers 2. Or they'll just throw the twins out there for the world to see and have people jerk off to them and still scheme in the background to really kick some ass later.

Either way. Glad to see they're back and they kicked ass.
Old 07-18-14, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I still think Namor could be one of their most original films, if done right. He's not really a hero, not really a villain. You could have some flashback scenes of him fighting various Avengers, from his perspective. The whole undersea backdrop---lots of potential.
He's a king who doesn't give a fuck about you puny earth dwellers, likes to fuck, doesn't give a fuck about you unless he respects you, and he's an asshole. My kind of hero.

Seriously though... he has potential. How was the (1990s?) series with him btw? I saw the covers but they didn't really appeal to me as a kid.
Old 07-19-14, 12:50 AM

Received 4,720 Likes on 3,198 Posts

Just in time for Comic-Con, Disney has press-dumped a quintet of release dates for untitled Marvel films that fanboys and girls can spend the weekend agonizing over before the Con. They’ll open two films in 2017, on July 28, 2017 and November 3, 2017, followed by two more in 2018 on July 6, 2018 and November 2, 2018. The summer/fall double hitter strategy stops (as far as we know) in 2019, when Marvel will release one new to-be-identified pic on May 3, 2019.

We’ll know next week if Disney/Marvel reveal any of this extended line-up in San Diego, although the studio might as well use it as more ammo to drive fans to its own D23 fan confab. Brand synergy between the comics line and the Mouse House is already in full force on TV and the first Disney animation featuring Marvel characters, Big Hero 6, is building early anticipation ahead of its November 7 debut.

Last edited by dex14; 07-19-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-19-14, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Horray! We can finally make a proper music video for this song!
Old 07-19-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
He's a king who doesn't give a fuck about you puny earth dwellers, likes to fuck, doesn't give a fuck about you unless he respects you, and he's an asshole. My kind of hero. Seriously though... he has potential. How was the (1990s?) series with him btw? I saw the covers but they didn't really appeal to me as a kid.
A character created in the Comics Code days likes to fuck?
Old 07-19-14, 08:59 AM
Banned

I cant say I remember his tales in WWII much but in the 60s... Namor was down to fuck Sue Storm. Hard. Into the sand. Against her will if need be but...you could only go far in that era for the mainstream. Now Namor doesn't hide who he wants to fuck. He's had Emma Frost too.
Old 07-19-14, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
A character created in the Comics Code days likes to fuck?
They couldn't come right out and say it directly of course, but sex was still implied in a lot of comics during the CCA days. There was some really creepy stuff too such as Professor X practically drooling over Jean Grey.

Last edited by taffer; 07-19-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-20-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
They’ll open two films in 2017, on July 28, 2017 and November 3, 2017, followed by two more in 2018 on July 6, 2018 and November 2, 2018. The summer/fall double hitter strategy stops (as far as we know) in 2019, when Marvel will release one new to-be-identified pic on May 3, 2019
So I wonder what the other films are on tap. Here's the current schedule -

http://io9.com/marvel-schedules-movi...7969773/+Fahey

May 1: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

July 17: Ant-Man

May 6: Captain America 3

July 8: Doctor Strange

May 5: Untitled

July 27: Untitled

November 3: Untitled

July 6: Untitled

November 2: Untitled

May 3: Untitled

Another Thor seems like a given; and like the article speculates, I imagine a GotG sequel so long as the first movie is a decent success, and another Avengers would fit in there. Wonder if Iron Man is done for good if they'll throw some money at Downey for another go.
Old 07-20-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Another Thor seems like a given; and like the article speculates, I imagine a GotG sequel so long as the first movie is a decent success, and another Avengers would fit in there. Wonder if Iron Man is done for good if they'll throw some money at Downey for another go.
Although I'd argue we don't need another Thor movie at this point, I'd agree that it's most likely going to happen. RDJ has two more movies under his new contract (which I believe covers Age of Ultron), so I'm not sure they'd bother with an Iron Man 4.

There's so many different avenues they could go down, but I'm hoping for a Ruffalo Hulk flick.
Old 07-20-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,183 Likes on 922 Posts

It seems like the May 3rd 2019 entry is possibly The Avengers 3. Maybe we'll get a Hulk sequel and possibly a third Thor. Possibly a second Guardians of the Galaxy.
Old 07-20-14, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Although I'd argue we don't need another Thor movie at this point, I'd agree that it's most likely going to happen. RDJ has two more movies under his new contract (which I believe covers Age of Ultron), so I'm not sure they'd bother with an Iron Man 4.

There's so many different avenues they could go down, but I'm hoping for a Ruffalo Hulk flick.
RDJ's two movies will probably be Avengers 2 and 3. If Iron Man 4 does happen, it most likely won't be until phase 4 at least.

Thor 3 needs to happen, because The Dark World ended with a pretty big cliffhanger with
Spoiler:
Loki taking Odin's place.

I also wish we would get a Hulk sequel with the Leader since that was hinted at in the first movie.

I think Avengers 3 will be July 2018. Every three years is the norm for Avengers. Plus, making it 2019 would put a ton of movies in phase 3. Phase 1 was 6 movies. Phase 2 was 5 movies. Putting Avengers 3 in July 2018 makes 7 movies for Phase 3, which already makes it longer than the previous two.

Last edited by taffer; 07-20-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 860 Likes on 722 Posts

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/18...make-it-says-/

There has been a lot of speculation and rumors concerning a movie based on Namor, the Sub-Mariner. These rumors dont just concern whether or not the movie will be made, but which studio could actually make it. Confusion over who actually controls the film rights to the Marvel character has given way to rumors that Universal Pictures, possibly in conjunction with Legendary Pictures, actually has a Namor film in the works.
Translation: Marvel could release a Namor film right now but another studio would also get paid as a profit participant. We will release a Namor movie the minute that contract runs out. My guess is that Universal or even Fox has some type of non-exclusive rights to the character they haven't exercised. Namor's best stories always involved the Fantastic Four.
Old 07-20-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,183 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I think Avengers 3 will be July 2018. Every three years is the norm for Avengers. Plus, making it 2019 would put a ton of movies in phase 3. Phase 1 was 6 movies. Phase 2 was 5 movies. Putting Avengers 3 in July 2018 makes 7 movies for Phase 3, which already makes it longer than the previous two.
I guess that's true. I was mostly going off of the fact that both of The Avengers films so far have been released at the beginning of May.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.