Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadpool - X-Men spinoff (2016, D: Tim Miller) S: Ryan Reynolds

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Deadpool - X-Men spinoff (2016, D: Tim Miller) S: Ryan Reynolds

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Deadpool - X-Men spinoff (2016, D: Tim Miller) S: Ryan Reynolds

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Just like how Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were loved by only a few and ignored by everyone else!
I don't really think that's an apt comparison, given the rating and subject matter of Deadpool and not being linked to the bigger MCU.
Old 08-03-15, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't really think that's an apt comparison, given the rating and subject matter of Deadpool and not being linked to the bigger MCU.
It may not be linked to the MCU, but it is linked to the X-men movie franchise which is a large and popular franchise in it's own right. Deadpool is one of the most popular X-men characters, even among non-comic readers. Deadpool recently got his own video game too. So this isn't really some obscure character like Ant-Man either.

Personally, I think the Gambit movie is much more of a risk. Deadpool not so much. Gambit was really only popular in the 90s, not so much today. Deadpool is still popular today.
Old 08-03-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 985 Likes on 694 Posts

Just like how Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were loved by only a few and ignored by everyone else!
Apples and oranges, but of course you know that.
Old 08-03-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It may not be linked to the MCU, but it is linked to the X-men movie franchise which is a large and popular franchise in it's own right. Deadpool is one of the most popular X-men characters, even among non-comic readers. Deadpool recently got his own video game too. So this isn't really some obscure character like Ant-Man either.
Popularity among comic book readers doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of box office. And we don't know what kind of links it will have to the existing X-Men universe after given the way X-Men Origins turned out. Do we even know if Colossus is the same character we see in X2/3? Either way, my point still stands that this being Rated R and the type of character Deadpool is make it a much more difficult proposition and I can see why rocket1312 would mention that possibility.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man really don't have much to do with the success of this at all, but I guess people will forever use them as a crutch for their arguments.
Old 08-03-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Deadpool is as popular as Venom... if this movie does any good it will probably be because its rated R and people wanted to see why.

Deadpool is not as popular as you guys think.
Old 08-03-15, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm not sure how to feel about the "serious" screencaps that show his face. This should be like Dredd -- no "dramatic" backstory, don't remove the mask.
Showing his pristine face will make the ravages of his cancer that much more horrific later. They should absolutely show it.
Old 08-03-15, 04:38 PM
Banned

Popularity among comic book readers doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of box office.
True, but Deadpool isn't popular with just comic readers. He has a video game, and people cosplay as him. I don't think most cosplayers are actually comic readers. Both cosplayers and comic readers belong to the nerd subculture, but I don't think there is necessarily a large overlap between the two groups.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man really don't have much to do with the success of this at all, but I guess people will forever use them as a crutch for their arguments.
Why not? Many people were saying there was no chance that GOTG of Ant-man would be successful because they were D-list unknown characters. Deadpool is more well known than GOTG or Ant-Man.
Old 08-03-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True, but Deadpool isn't popular with just comic readers. He has a video game, and people cosplay as him. I don't think most cosplayers are actually comic readers. Both cosplayers and comic readers belong to the nerd subculture, but I don't think there is necessarily a large overlap between the two groups.
Still a small population that wouldn't nearly be enough to make it a successful movie based on their attendance at all.

Why not? Many people were saying there was no chance that GOTG of Ant-man would be successful because they were D-list unknown characters. Deadpool is more well known than GOTG or Ant-Man.
I've already stated why twice now.

And i'm not saying I personally feel it's destined to bomb or do poorly, i'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with rocket's opinion, this movie has different circumstances then the two examples you cited, and it's kind of ridiculous to cite those two movies every single time.
Old 08-03-15, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Deadpool but can see this failing as well. I don't feel that way cuz it has a trailer that is pretty good and something that would get the mainstream to enjoy it.
Old 08-03-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You honestly can't tell the difference between two entries in the most successful franchise of films going today that were rated pg-13 and made for and marketed to the widest possible audience and an r rated movie with a most likely minimal tie-in to a not quite as successful franchise that so far seems to be made for and marketed to a select group of 50 nerds who read the comics and dress up at conventions starring a dude who's been labeled box office poison after a string of notorious flops?

Look, I'm not saying it will flop. All I'm saying is that this seems like it's being made for a very specific audience. I happen to be part of that audience, so good for me. If you're not part of that audience already, then I wonder if there will be much appeal.
Old 08-03-15, 06:12 PM
Banned

I think it'll be a modest hit. The R-rating will most definitely cut into its gross and I think The Force Awakens will still be raking in dough by the time it comes out. Then again, who knows.
Old 08-03-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This backlash is starting early even by DVDTalk standards.
Old 08-03-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if it does slightly better than "Kick-Ass" type numbers I assume it is a failure in the eyes of most, yes?
Old 08-03-15, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by musick
if it does slightly better than "Kick-Ass" type numbers I assume it is a failure in the eyes of most, yes?
Absolutely. That wouldn't even cover its budget.
Old 08-03-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Absolutely. That wouldn't even cover its budget.
what is Deadpool's budget?
all I read was that it was low and a number of 50M thrown out

KA was 30M budget I think and has done almost 100M
Old 08-03-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing the trailer. Wondering if they will play up the comic super hero aspect or the campy comedic aspect. I'm not familiar with the Deadpool character, but from that leaked trailer, he seems to be more on the sarcastic asshole end.
Old 08-03-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kal-El
What backlash?
Old 08-03-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What backlash?
Yeah, what backlash? My point was that so far this movie smells more like a cult classic than a huge hit. I'm getting a real Scott Pilgrim vibe. Or maybe Kick-Ass is a better example. Obviously we'll know a lot more once the the ad campaign really starts to kick into high gear, but at this point Deadpool looks like it's being made specifically for the fans and not for a mass audience.
Old 08-04-15, 01:30 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Stay for the credits

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_rVY8eo3Res" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-04-15, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You honestly can't tell the difference between two entries in the most successful franchise of films going today that were rated pg-13 and made for and marketed to the widest possible audience and an r rated movie with a most likely minimal tie-in to a not quite as successful franchise that so far seems to be made for and marketed to a select group of 50 nerds who read the comics and dress up at conventions starring a dude who's been labeled box office poison after a string of notorious flops?

Look, I'm not saying it will flop. All I'm saying is that this seems like it's being made for a very specific audience. I happen to be part of that audience, so good for me. If you're not part of that audience already, then I wonder if there will be much appeal.
Yes, I see the difference. It's just your original post kind of had a pessimistic attitude, and that's what I was really trying to get at with the GOTG/Ant-Man comparison. Everyone on the internet is so pessimistic about everything. They said GOTG was going to fail. They said Ant-Man was going to fail. They said Days of Future Past was going to fail (mostly because of how stupid Quicksilver appeared in the promos). They say Fantastic Four is going to fail. They say Batman v Superman is going to fail. Over and over, every single movie they say is going to fail. Your original post just reminded me of all that.

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Yeah, that's what I was getting at, the whole pessimistic attitude with everyone complaining about how bad these movies look and how they're going to fail. It happens with every single movie, and it gets kind of old after a while.
Old 08-04-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I see the difference. It's just your original post kind of had a pessimistic attitude, and that's what I was really trying to get at with the GOTG/Ant-Man comparison. Everyone on the internet is so pessimistic about everything. They said GOTG was going to fail. They said Ant-Man was going to fail. They said Days of Future Past was going to fail (mostly because of how stupid Quicksilver appeared in the promos). They say Fantastic Four is going to fail. They say Batman v Superman is going to fail. Over and over, every single movie they say is going to fail. Your original post just reminded me of all that.
First of all, who's "they?" Second of all, you misinterpreted my comments. They were more in reference to just how committed Fox seems to be in staying true to the source. Given that the source material (ultra violent, bizarre humor, fourth wall being smashed to pieces) has the potential to be more than a little polarizing, I could see this not playing particularly well with general audiences. That's not a bad thing or a good thing. It's just a thing. It's also possible that everything we've seen from Fox has been in an attempt to get the fanboys on board and that the national ad campaign will show a little wider range of appeal. I have no idea. Personally I can't wait to see this movie. I'm glad Fox doesn't appear to be playing it safe.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, the whole pessimistic attitude with everyone complaining about how bad these movies look and how they're going to fail. It happens with every single movie, and it gets kind of old after a while.
No one said any of this about Deadpool. This thread has been overwhelmingly positive.
Old 08-04-15, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
First of all, who's "they?" Second of all, you misinterpreted my comments. They were more in reference to just how committed Fox seems to be in staying true to the source. Given that the source material (ultra violent, bizarre humor, fourth wall being smashed to pieces) has the potential to be more than a little polarizing, I could see this not playing particularly well with general audiences. That's not a bad thing or a good thing. It's just a thing. It's also possible that everything we've seen from Fox has been in an attempt to get the fanboys on board and that the national ad campaign will show a little wider range of appeal. I have no idea. Personally I can't wait to see this movie. I'm glad Fox doesn't appear to be playing it safe.

No one said any of this about Deadpool. This thread has been overwhelmingly positive.
I said who "they" are in the third sentence. "They" are "everyone on the internet." Yes, it's a generalized statement, but reading message boards like this just makes it seem like everyone is always so pessimistic.

I don't think the R-rating with ultra violence and bizarre humor are really going to be that limiting. There have been other very successful movies with the same R-rated violence and/or humor. Movies like Robocop, Terminator, Die Hard, Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm St, Friday the 13th, just to name a few.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 08-04-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-04-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

While some people go overboard on particular properties, I think there's a big difference between pessimism and simply sharing an opinion of caution, concern, and discussion of the potential success of a movie. That's why I dislike people that seem to be rallying against negativity or whatever; they're just opinions, not every movie is going to look awesome to everyone.

Alternatively, I think it would be pretty dumb to automatically assume every comic book movie will be a success because of Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man.
Old 08-04-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't think anybody is expecting this to make Avengers money, but I do think adults have been craving entertainment geared toward adults for some time now. It will be refreshing for many to see a comic book movie with swearing a violence.
Old 08-04-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

To some extent we've gotten comic based films that have been darker though such as 300, 300: Rise of an Empire, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, The Losers, and Watchmen. Not all those are necessarily superhero films but there have been darker comic based films. Plus the new DC films while not R rated are going down a darker path.

I think that Deadpool will be okay but I can see it underperforming a bit to be honest. Obviously most kids won't be seeing it unless their parents are totally ignorant to what they watch and I think while there's some appeal for more violent comic films I'm not sure the masses really want that. I think the trailer looks entertaining enough but I'm not the hugest Deadpool fan really so some of it doesn't necessarily appeal to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.