Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Ok, here are the prizes for the challenge this month! Once again, thanks so much to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks for their generosity! GoldenWheels donated all the MST3K prizes in addition to the normal selection.

Just a reminder, you do have to live in the US to be eligible for prizes.

Prizes: Prize pack one:
1. Wrath of the Sword
2. The Lost World: Double Feature
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume 1

Two:
1. Sci-Fi Movie Freak
2. Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume II

Three:
1. Species II BLU
2. Species III/Species The Awakening BLU

Four:
1. Gamera Trilogy
2. Gamera: Legacy Collection
3. Gamera: War of the Monsters Collection
4. MST3K Vs Gamera: Mystery Science Theater, Vol. XXI

Five:
1. Brain That Wouldn't Die BLU
2. 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo
Old 07-02-16, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Great looking prizes. Goldenwheels really outdid himself.

I misplaced my Rodan DVD, but luckily, both Con TV, and Hulu had it, so I was able to continue my Toho collection.
Old 07-02-16, 04:06 AM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

Last night was a Family/Adventure double feature with The Rock.

Race to Witch Mountain (2009)
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012)

I wasn't crazy about Witch Mountain. It just seemed like generic Disney fluff, slightly better than a made-for-TV movie.

Mysterious Island was enjoyable, mindless fun. The island setting was always amazing to look at. Although the highlight was Vanessa Hudgens running around in a tiny tanktop and short shorts.
Old 07-02-16, 04:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I haven't seen man of steel . any good?
Total dreck. An abomination of a film. Unless you go into it thinking that it's not a Superman film, but a sort of evil alternate universe take on him. Then it's fine. But it's not Superman.
Old 07-02-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

It is average. Having seen almost every Superman adaption, I'm not sure how to rank this. I think Cavill was fine in the role, but the movie itself had some issues and Superman just didn't seem like Superman, especially at the end.

I'm no comic fanboy, but even I have no trouble believing that Zack Snyder is all style, no substance. He's got a good grasp on how to make a movie look pretty, but that's about it, IMO.
Old 07-02-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Total dreck. An abomination of a film. Unless you go into it thinking that it's not a Superman film, but a sort of evil alternate universe take on him. Then it's fine. But it's not Superman.
The best thing I can say about Man of Steel is that it makes Superman Returns' appalling stalker/son/crazy-absence/rehash-sequel plot actually look halfway tolerable by comparison...
Old 07-02-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

I may decide to mostly eschew Sci-Fi/Fantasy this month in favour of trying to watch thirty-odd Olivia de Havilland films on TCM. Hopefully time will allow interspersed sf/f..
Old 07-02-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
The best thing I can say about Man of Steel is that it makes Superman Returns' appalling stalker/son/crazy-absence/rehash-sequel plot actually look halfway tolerable by comparison...
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
It is average. Having seen almost every Superman adaption, I'm not sure how to rank this. I think Cavill was fine in the role, but the movie itself had some issues and Superman just didn't seem like Superman, especially at the end.

I'm no comic fanboy, but even I have no trouble believing that Zack Snyder is all style, no substance. He's got a good grasp on how to make a movie look pretty, but that's about it, IMO.
I agree with all these assessments, but, IMHO, Trevor is most correct. I *am* somewhat a "comic fanboy" and have loved the Superman character my whole life. The newer films are *not* about the "real" Superman much like the stories in DC's "New 52" are also *not* the "real" Superman. They are both re-imaginings of the character to "modernize" him for today's fickle audience who only want a action film, not something that tells a "good" story.

For the record, I feel pretty much the same way about the Nolan Batman trilogy.
Old 07-02-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I agree with all these assessments, but, IMHO, Trevor is most correct. I *am* somewhat a "comic fanboy" and have loved the Superman character my whole life. The newer films are *not* about the "real" Superman much like the stories in DC's "New 52" are also *not* the "real" Superman. They are both re-imaginings of the character to "modernize" him for today's fickle audience who only want a action film, not something that tells a "good" story.

You're all correct. Zach Snyder badly misread the character and most important, Superman. Does. Not. Kill. He is the defender of truth, justice, and the American way. He apprehends miscreants, he does not snap their necks.
Old 07-02-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane late last night/ this morning, and it is excellent. I'm glad I went into it blind because the movie throws several twists and surprises at the viewer.
Oh man! I know what you mean! Saw it at the theater when it came out and you absolutely have to go into this movie blind! It made it so much better.
Old 07-02-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought and watched the Italian (although with English dialog) film Tale of Tales on iTunes. I thought it was a great dark fantasy for adults. Really stunning looking and with characters easy to fall in love with. I don't understand why it has only a 6.4 rating on IMDB and a 59% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. But it at least has a 82% rating from critics.
Old 07-02-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

10 Cloverfield Lane is on my "to watch" list. I missed it in the theater and aside from knowing it's received positive reviews, I don't know much about it. In fact, I had no idea if it was important to see Cloverfield first (they are somewhat connected, right?), and since I hadn't seen that one in a long time, I watched it last night to prepare for it.
Old 07-02-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
10 Cloverfield Lane is on my "to watch" list. I missed it in the theater and aside from knowing it's received positive reviews, I don't know much about it. In fact, I had no idea if it was important to see Cloverfield first (they are somewhat connected, right?), and since I hadn't seen that one in a long time, I watched it last night to prepare for it.
No, it is completely UNNECESSARY to see Cloverfield at all before seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane.
Old 07-02-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
No, it is completely UNNECESSARY to see Cloverfield at all before seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Thursday, when I arrived at my friends' house, one was interested in watching a movie, and we decided on Tomorrowland which I hadn't seen. I explained some of my misgivings about the film (culled from reviews), and she assured me that I would like it. She was right. It's such a delightful film! There were several thrilling set pieces, and the aesthetic of Tomorrowland was fantastic. I had heard that the film evoked Ayn Rand, but beyond the "chosen one" narrative beats, it really is a film about mutual cooperation and that human "can-do" spirit. Also, George Clooney just keeps getting more and more handsome.

Yesterday, another friend watched Ant-Man which me, and it was also delightful. I don't know why I didn't see it in the theater, but I missed it and wanted to watch before hitting up the one theater in my area still playing Captain America: Civil War next week. I really liked the costume designs of the Yellowjacket's suit. It was awesome!
Old 07-02-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I bought 2 DVD box sets with 4 sci-fi classics apiece a couple of weeks ago and I broke out both of them, the sublime and the ridiculous, to start off this challenge.

The sublime was FORBIDDEN PLANET, which I've seen multiple times but not in many years, and the ridiculous was THE ANGRY RED PLANET, which I may not have ever seen in color, but the Martian scenes of which looked absolutely awful on the DVD and that seems to have been the way the film was shot (in "Cinemagic"), although I don't remember the film looking this bad on b&w TV when I saw it decades ago.

Scenes on Mars:

Scene on spaceship:

Scene on Mars as I remember it looking on b&w TV, which would have been an improvement:
Old 07-02-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I bought 2 DVD box sets with 4 sci-fi classics apiece a couple of weeks ago and I broke out both of them, the sublime and the ridiculous, to start off this challenge.

The sublime was FORBIDDEN PLANET, which I've seen multiple times but not in many years, and the ridiculous was THE ANGRY RED PLANET, which I may not have ever seen in color, but the Martian scenes of which looked absolutely awful on the DVD and that seems to have been the way the film was shot (in "Cinemagic"), although I don't remember the film looking this bad on b&w TV when I saw it decades ago.
Spoiler:

Scenes on Mars:

Scene on spaceship:

Scene on Mars as I remember it looking on b&w TV, which would have been an improvement:
I watched The Angry Red Planet a couple years ago, and the intense color gave me a headache. I don't remember much about the film except the red burrowing into my brain.
Old 07-02-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I liked it alright. Not a great movie, but nowhere near as bad as people like to make out it is. It especially holds up if you watch it immediately after watching Superman II (Lester version, not the far superior Donner version), III, IV, and Returns. Well, maybe not III, which surprisingly holds up better than the other three.

Plus, it's the first time that Krypton was shown to be anything like the Silver Age Krypton I read about as a kid (you know, a scientifically advanced world populated by lots of people and weird animals, and not an icy, barren world, with super-science based on crystals, or something). I've always hated that stupid, ice-world Krypton, even when I first saw the movie in a theater in 1978. I also don't care for having Jor-El wear a superman insignia (which, unfortunately, persists to today). When I was a kid, the name Kal-El was supposed to mean "star child," thus the star (sunburst) on Jor-El's suit made perfect sense (to me, at least) as the El family "coat-of-arms." But no, let's give Superman a stupid reason for wearing an "S" on his chest. Now, it means "hope"? Please. EDIT: Shows how much I know. The "S" symbol meaning "hope" appears in Superman: Birthright (2003). So it's at least decade old comic canon. I'm pretty sure I've read Birthright, but I definitely didn't remember that.

Even some of the crappier stuff in Man of Steel, like the tornado, holds up against the earlier films. Recall the crappy way Pa Kent died in Superman -
Spoiler:
Clark basically tells his elderly father, who's had a weak heart as long as Clark's known him, "Hey, Pa! Race ya to the barn!" then runs off to the barn and plays with his dog while Pa takes a few steps, collapses, and dies alone. Oh, and what's up with that funeral? Only two people showed up? Didn't Pa Kent have any friends in Smallville?

Originally Posted by ntnon
It surprised me, after watching that one again, that he only spends a couple of minutes "stalking" Lois, and although I agree with you about the stupid "leaving earth to visit Krypton" crap, it's not unprecedented, because in Superman,
Spoiler:
immediately after his father's funeral, he takes off, leaving his mother alone (at least he took a few moments somewhere to get Ben Hubbard to take care of the farm), goes "up North," and sits on his ass in the Fortress of Solitude watching holographic home movies for 15 years(!).

Don't get me started on how, at the beginning of Superman II (crappy Lester version),
Spoiler:
Lois is in Paris, mixed up in a terrorist crisis that has been going on for hours, and that Superman doesn't have a clue about what's going on (to Lois, the woman he loves, or to a major city about to be nuked) until he walks into the Daily Planet because he was home all night "reading Dickens." WTF? Movie Superman can't patrol the earth at night? Maybe he has to have an immediate excuse to take off his Clark clothes to get him out to do mundane stuff like save Air Force One, or stop a robbery (or save a treed kitten) like in the first movie.

Hell, later on in that movie, the earth is invaded by super-powered aliens, but he hasn't a clue because he's too busy on a date, trying to get laid, to take a microsecond to use his superhearing to listen for emergencies.

None of the film versions of Superman (or Batman) have been exactly like the comics (As Trevor said, they're all alternate universe versions of the characters, and are best if viewed as such). The comics from one time period aren't exactly like the comics from another. Pick the ones you like and stick with them.

I gave up on the "New 52" because those aren't a version of the characters I like (most post-Crisis characters were just barely the characters I liked). When I want a Superman fix, I have lots of old stuff I can re-read, and I've still only scratched the surface of the Superman radio show.

Originally Posted by Gobear
You're all correct. Zach Snyder badly misread the character and most important, Superman. Does. Not. Kill. He is the defender of truth, justice, and the American way. He apprehends miscreants, he does not snap their necks.
You must've really hated the ending of
Spoiler:
Superman II (either version), since he and Lois send the three then-powerless Kryptonian villains down into bottomless chasms, then leave Luthor behind to freeze (yeah, I know in the deleted scenes, they get arrested). Heck, in the Donner version, Superman uses his heat vision to blow up the Fortress, with the four villains still in it (of course, turning back time means that never happened).

In Superman Returns,
Spoiler:
he lifts the island up out of the water, with Luthor, his woman, and his henchmen still on it, intent on throwing it into space. Luthor and the woman escape, but the henchmen are crushed by falling debris. Still, it doesn't look like Superman was too worried about not killing anyone if more lives were at stake.

Meh, whatever, I guess I'm not a real Superman fan since I didn't hate Man of Steel, so what the fuck do I know?

Last edited by Dimension X; 07-02-16 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-02-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

In continuing working through my Toho movies, I just finished the Japanese version of Battle In Outer Space. I hadn't seen it in years, and had forgotten how good the movie was. I got to thinking towards the end of the movie that it seemed like Independence Day took a lot of inspiration from this movie.
Old 07-02-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Originally Posted by pacaway
When I saw the first trailers for 10 Cloverfield Land I thought "Well, there's one I can avoid." as I didn't care for Cloverfield. Then I find out they're not related at all. That totally changed my desire to give it a chance.
Old 07-02-16, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
...Meh, whatever, I guess I'm not a real Superman fan since I didn't hate Man of Steel, so what the fuck do I know?
Nah... I'd just say you like a different version than us "old guys." It's very likely you'd not like my choice as the best Superman on film. And it's *not* Christopher Reeve.

I grew up with the Silver Age Superman in comics, which was actually a bit goofy at times and was the era which introduced most of the different colors of Kryptonite. That Superman is the one I always think of when I hear someone describe him as "The Big Blue Boy Scout." It's a totally different Superman than in today's comics and films and *that's* why I don't much care for the newer interpretations.
Old 07-02-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Can I get a ruling? Was there a discussion some years back about animated films with talking animals counting as fantasy? I'm thinking of Zootopia or Finding Dory which won't have fantasy listed as a genre but talking rabbits and fish feel like they could be fantasy.
Old 07-02-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Nah... I'd just say you like a different version than us "old guys." It's very likely you'd not like my choice as the best Superman on film. And it's *not* Christopher Reeve.
I am one of the "old guys" (I'm pretty sure I fall somewhere between you and Trevor, agewise). Maybe you missed where I said I saw Superman in a theater back in '78.

You're right, George Reeves isn't my choice for best Superman. He's my favorite Clark Kent, but his Superman is at best pretty bland. In most episodes, Superman only shows up for a few minutes (including the credits), kind of like he's an afterthought. Clark has done all the actual work, but we have to have Superman in there somewhere.

No one would ever suspect his Clark Kent of being Superman because Clark is too fucking cool to put on a union suit and fly around, that's for nerds. It's a different interpretation of Clark Kent. It works for me, but I'm sure there are those that don't care for the show.

I grew up with the Silver Age Superman in comics, which was actually a bit goofy at times and was the era which introduced most of the different colors of Kryptonite. That Superman is the one I always think of when I hear someone describe him as "The Big Blue Boy Scout." It's a totally different Superman than in today's comics and films and *that's* why I don't much care for the newer interpretations.
Those are the ones I grew up reading also (well, I probably only read stories from way back in your time reprinted in 100 Page Super Spectaculars). That's the reason I said I always disliked the interpretation of Krypton in the Reeve movies. How could that desolate world have a Scarlet Jungle, or monkeys, or dogs, or thought-beasts?

Actually, maybe reading 100 Page Super Spectaculars is part of the "problem." I was exposed to different versions of Superman (and Batman and other DC characters) at an early age thanks to all those reprints, so I'm used to different versions of comic book characters and can find something to like about most of those versions.

Last edited by Dimension X; 07-03-16 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Can I get a ruling? Was there a discussion some years back about animated films with talking animals counting as fantasy? I'm thinking of Zootopia or Finding Dory which won't have fantasy listed as a genre but talking rabbits and fish feel like they could be fantasy.
I'd say Zootopia would count as it's obviously a different universe, they have clothes, cars, a whole society. Definitely a fantasy world. Finding Dory I'm on the fence about. It is fantasy in that animals don't talk, but the world about them is a natural one-no clothes or the animals using items that they wouldn't in nature.

I don't remember that ruling, but I've only been hosting for a couple years now. If someone can link to the original one, I'll definitely honor it. Or if anyone has a good argument for or against including Finding Dory, please say it!

Don't forget you do get 3 wildcards to use for whatever you want to if you think they should count.
Old 07-03-16, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Thursday, when I arrived at my friends' house, one was interested in watching a movie, and we decided on Tomorrowland which I hadn't seen. I explained some of my misgivings about the film (culled from reviews), and she assured me that I would like it. She was right. It's such a delightful film! There were several thrilling set pieces, and the aesthetic of Tomorrowland was fantastic. I had heard that the film evoked Ayn Rand, but beyond the "chosen one" narrative beats, it really is a film about mutual cooperation and that human "can-do" spirit. Also, George Clooney just keeps getting more and more handsome.
Totally agree with Tomorrowland, it's an excellent movie. I disagree with critics that are trying to shove Ayn Rand into it--they simply forgot what it is was like to be a bright 12-year-old who's impatient with societal pressure to conform to a system that rewards the dull.

I see your George Clooney and raise you with Hugh Jackman barely contained within khaki shorts and a Polo shirt that looks sprayed on. His physique was the only good part of Chappie, which i watched for the first time and hated. It's Short Circuit with violence and prison tats.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.