Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 01:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

I probably could have gotten out for under $100; but then I went and decided that all of Conan would be nice to have....
Old 04-25-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

According to Twitter Oni Press has Eisner nominees 50% off trades with $0.99 singles "this weekend":
Meteor Men: https://www.comixology.com/Meteor-Me...s-series/23605
I Was The Cat: https://www.comixology.com/I-Was-the...s-series/22705
Mermin (v3 trade only): https://www.comixology.com/Mermin/comics-series/9301

Strangely the prices seem to just be lower without obvious indication of discount.
Old 04-25-15, 03:14 PM

You guys heard about periscope?

Maybe it's old news, but it's a Twitter app that allows live streaming. Comixology is using it to stream stuff from the big Chicago Con this weekend.
Old 04-25-15, 03:16 PM

They're doing extra podcasts from it too, of course.

So with frequent freebie codes in their podcasts and apparently on periscope, this thread could be a full time job.
Old 04-26-15, 01:00 PM

So now we're getting codes via Twitch as well.

SOULE gets you the $5 first collection of Charles Soule's Strongman for free. I think it was today only.
Old 04-26-15, 10:08 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Hard to beat .90 cents per book, along with the one-shots that were well over 50% off, and did I mention the bundle prices...yeah, dropped a bit over $111.00 on the Dark Horse sale. There are now a massive amount of tpbs that I will not have to buy. I also picked up a ton of Dynamite Books that are a part of this sale, as I forgot that DH Digital now offers Dynamite books for sale, so this is a prime opportunity to stock up.

The $2 newsletter discount was automatically applied to my order, even though I never received the newsletter (and yes, it stacked with the 10% discount code).
Old 04-27-15, 08:18 AM

Marvel has a today only Prepare for the Age of Ultron sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Prepare-f...tron/page/6367
Mighty Avengers (2007+) 1-6
Annihilation: Conquest 1-6 and Prologue
Avengers (1998+) 0, 19-22
Moon Knight (2010+) 1-12
Avengers (2010+) 1-6

New Marvel collection sale with 10 Avengers collections at up to 80% off.
https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-...-off/list/6451
Old 04-27-15, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Hard to beat .90 cents per book, along with the one-shots that were well over 50% off, and did I mention the bundle prices...yeah, dropped a bit over $111.00 on the Dark Horse sale. There are now a massive amount of tpbs that I will not have to buy. I also picked up a ton of Dynamite Books that are a part of this sale, as I forgot that DH Digital now offers Dynamite books for sale, so this is a prime opportunity to stock up.

The $2 newsletter discount was automatically applied to my order, even though I never received the newsletter (and yes, it stacked with the 10% discount code).
Yeah, I didn't get a newsletter recently either, odd. But the 60% off already cheap bundle pricing and extra $2 was nice. Helped offset the several hundred $ spent on mostly Conan this time.

I'm now the opposite on Dynamite stuff at Dark Horse. I now refuse to buy it there at any price, since it'll likely be bundled for pennies a book.
Old 04-27-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

At this point I'm starting to feel like Dynamite is just going to keep bundling the same issues over and over again. I don't know if I can count on getting anything different from them.
Old 04-27-15, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
At this point I'm starting to feel like Dynamite is just going to keep bundling the same issues over and over again. I don't know if I can count on getting anything different from them.
Yeah, there have only been a few new books in each bundle, but the 7 or so bundles have all been fairly recent. I'm willing to wait a year or two and see if they put out more. If they stop bundling, then I'll have to decide if I want to buy the newer stuff on Comixology sales or trust them to keep their Dark Horse partnership.
Old 04-27-15, 04:42 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I didn't get a newsletter recently either, odd. But the 60% off already cheap bundle pricing and extra $2 was nice. Helped offset the several hundred $ spent on mostly Conan this time.

I'm now the opposite on Dynamite stuff at Dark Horse. I now refuse to buy it there at any price, since it'll likely be bundled for pennies a book.
Here's the thing, a ton of the bundled stuff was from their Project Superhero line, and other titles that strike me as not among their best sellers. I used the sale to pick up a ton of the Chaos titles they are now publishing, and their Gold Key line revival books (Turok, Solar, Dr Spektor, Magnus...I read the first trade of Turok, Solar, and Magnus and thought they were fantastic reads)...the comixology insanely cheap bundles are so hit and miss as to what is included that I threw caution to the wind and figured that .90 is still a good deal and the deal was a bird in the hand.

Regardless, I have no regrets...I no longer have to wait for the TPBs of a ton of books to go on sale for 45% off or more, so it is all good. I also noticed that like many Zenescope books I grab digitally, the books are much better looking in digital vs paper format (the colors and images just seem to pop more on my iPad screen, and in comparison the same TPB images looks a bit muted).
Old 04-27-15, 06:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone tried a new email to set up a new Comixology account to gift themselves some comics with the 50% off new account code FB? I did it once a month ago without a problem, but now the minute I click on the gift box the discount goes away. I was wondering if it was just me, or they had too many people taking advantage.
Old 04-27-15, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
Has anyone tried a new email to set up a new Comixology account to gift themselves some comics with the 50% off new account code FB? I did it once a month ago without a problem, but now the minute I click on the gift box the discount goes away. I was wondering if it was just me, or they had too many people taking advantage.
Yeah, I guiltily tried it a month or so ago and it didn't work.
Old 04-27-15, 07:48 PM

I was able to use the FB code (also Comix) as a gift a few months ago also but can confirm gifting now cancels the discount for the past few weeks; bummer... I hope future codes will revert back to being giftable.
Old 04-28-15, 06:59 AM

From IDW, another sale on My Little Pony, 4/27/15 to 5/4/15.
9 collections at $3.99 each, and 41 singles at $.99 each.
https://www.comixology.com/My-Little...Sale/page/6365

DC's Convergence sale enters its fourth week with a neat little selection; ends 5/4/15.
https://www.comixology.com/Convergen...Sale/page/6395
DC One Million 1-4
Superman: Red Sun 1-3
Adventure Comics 460-465
Infinity, Inc. 1-10
Justice League of America (1960) 29-40, 170-172
The Power of Shazam 1-20
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
Hex 11-13
Showcase 97-99
Captain Atom 83-89
Old 04-28-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple more celebratory coupons from Marvel due to their Eisner nominations

Silver Surfer (2014) Vol 1: New Dawn TPB is 50% off with the code SURFER

Thor (2014) #1 is $1 with the code GODDESS

As with last time, the info says to redeem at Marvel's digital storefront, but they may work at Comixology also.
Old 04-28-15, 02:11 PM

They appear to work in Comixology too. Tempted by the Silver Surfer collection, but it's only 6 issues, so that $9 price will be beat eventually.
Old 04-28-15, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Too bad about the code. I had a huge $600 order I wanted to place and save some money. Guess I will have to wait for each thing to go on sale.
Old 04-28-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I have been getting the new Marvel Star Wars and Howard The Duck books and they come with digital copies for the issues so I was wondering if the newer versions of graphic novels and trades also have this feature?
Old 04-28-15, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
Too bad about the code. I had a huge $600 order I wanted to place and save some money. Guess I will have to wait for each thing to go on sale.
Fwiw, you're limited to 150 items in your cart, with bundles counting as 100 or whatever they are.

If this trick worked and I bought trades instead of singles, I'd probably save my money for a big 150 trade half price order.
Old 04-28-15, 04:31 PM

If I was brand new to Comixology and qualified for this 50% code, I'd consider creating one account for DC books, one for Marvel, etc; and scoring a huge starter collection at half price.
Old 04-28-15, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
...come with digital copies for the issues so I was wondering if the newer versions of graphic novels and trades also have this feature?
Only hardcover trades have digital codes; usually this is usually also indicated by a tag on the cover. A lot of trades that are released as softcover only will not have a collection digital code available. I think Avengers, New Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, All New X-men, Thor, and Captain America have been some of the more consistent hardcover titles.
Old 04-28-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Only hardcover trades have digital codes; usually this is usually also indicated by a tag on the cover. A lot of trades that are released as softcover only will not have a collection digital code available. I think Avengers, New Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, All New X-men, Thor, and Captain America have been some of the more consistent hardcover titles.
Thanks. Digital comics on my Samsung tablet look great and I have already spent a fortune between Dark Horse Digital and Comixology since getting it a few months ago. Was thinking of picking up some hardcover trades of my favorites and didn't want to also get the digital versions if they were included.
Old 04-28-15, 04:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I have been getting the new Marvel Star Wars and Howard The Duck books and they come with digital copies for the issues so I was wondering if the newer versions of graphic novels and trades also have this feature?
One thing to be wary of is that sometimes you will buy one off the shelf that says it has a digital code, but the code will be expired. I had that problem with a couple books I bought on the cheap and their CS gave me a new code for one, but not the other. I guess this is really only a potential problem for stuff that has been out for over a year or however long they keep them active.
Old 04-28-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Why do digital codes expire anyway?

That avengers vs thanos trade is tempting at that steep of a discount, though it seems like an eclectic collection.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-29-15 at 03:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.