Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Terminator Genisys?
Loved it, Bring on the next movie!
9.26%
Liked it
33.33%
It was alright
23.15%
It was watchable, but disappointing
21.30%
Hated it with every fiber of my being
3.70%
Not going to waste my hard earned money on it
1.85%
Not interested in seeing it in theaters, but will catch it on BD/DVD
5.56%
Will wait even longer until it hits HBO or On demand
0.93%
I refuse to support this movie in any form. It never should have been made.
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

When John Connor (Jason Clarke), leader of the human resistance, sends Sgt. Kyle Reese (Jai Courtney) back to 1984 to protect Sarah Connor (Emilia Clarke) and safeguard the future, an unexpected turn of events creates a fractured timeline. Now, Sgt. Reese finds himself in a new and unfamiliar version of the past, where he is faced with unlikely allies, including the Guardian (Arnold Schwarzenegger), dangerous new enemies, and an unexpected new mission: To reset the future…

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rGSxss7gWak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

James Cameron interview. Apparently he saw the film and is supporting it. He says he considers this the 3rd movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7LqgdNVTcRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Estimated Budget: $170M

Running Time: 126 Minutes
Old 06-30-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Going to see this with a friend Thursday night.

Not sure if I want to spend $20 for an IMAX 3D showing. Most likely we'll see a 2D show.
Old 07-01-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Was not disappointed at all.

Enjoyed the time travel stuff. They did their due, piecing everything together. Really liked the human-adaptation element.

T2 was a product of its era. We're never going to see a film like that again. My attachment to it has a lot to do with my age, the buildup around the release, and the wow factor of seeing those effects for the first time. Genisys is an apt, respectable continuation of T1 and T2. And really, watching T2, who DIDN'T think how cool it'd be for Terminators to keep sending more and more back at different periods of Sara's life?

I mention this a lot. Now that I saw it, I can say ... the story and characters are just as good as T2. One thing that will never happen again - is that T2 brought filmmaking innovation to the table. That's a one-time thing. There are a lot of different conventions used. But I don't know if I can ever experience the liquid metal and overall scope of the effects again. That's a one-time thing. What's the next evolution of filmmaking? I don't know. But T2 was right there at the beginning of showing us effects that we never saw before.

Showing the John twist in the advertising was dumb. And Dr Who in a random group shot of resistance fighters - I knew something was up.
Old 07-01-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Agreed ^

Just saw this a little while ago and loved. It really did have the same spirit as the first two films and they used a lot of different threads from those films and from minor characters that were in them, too. Danny Dyson comes to mind. In retrospect Miles Dyson didn't want anyone from the company to take over his work. Well, it wasn't from the company - it was his son.

I do think that the plot twist shown in the trailers and posters was stupid to do. Hell, it's like an hour into the film before you get to see that payoff, so who ever thought it was a good idea to show that in marketing materials needs to get fired yesterday. The phase shifting abilities were awesome. Also it's skeleton looked like metal version of a skinned human body. You could see the understructure.

Arnold was great, I didn't mind Emilia Clarke as Sarah - she was more of a smart ass than brooding amazonian. It made sense since she didn't have to be on guard all the time with "Pops" looking out after her. Jai Courtney was alright. He's never bothered me before, so I was able to deal with him.

From this day forth Genisys will be my Terminator 3 of sorts (and I actually liked T3) but TG was a much better film overall. Oh, and a lot of the CGI looks better in the film than in the promotional materials, too.

Old 07-01-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

P.S. I hear there's a mid-credit sequence that sets it up for another movie. We left and didn't see what it was. What was it?
Old 07-01-15, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Now that I saw it, I can say ... the story and characters are just as good as T2.
I can't possibly believe this. Maybe the story, as the story in T2 wasn't much, but the characters? I absolutely cannot believe this is as good in that department as T2.

I could buy the argument that this is better than T3 and T4 though.
Old 07-01-15, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
P.S. I hear there's a mid-credit sequence that sets it up for another movie. We left and didn't see what it was. What was it?
Spoiler:
We see the time machine in the Cyberdine rubble glowing with some red energy, and the Skynet hologram returns.

I had to choke down a few elements (casting, bad dialogue, that ending), but I actually did enjoy what I saw. It's no T2, but the future war scenes were pretty compelling.
Old 07-01-15, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I thought this was great fun, better than I expected for part 5 in a series. It's the first to real take advantage of the craziness time travel can offer and is much more gonzo than any of the others. But frankly, the series needed some fun after the dour and dank T4. I mean, it's about killer robots from the future, it's not Shakespeare. I *really* wish they hadn't spoiled so much of the plot in the trailers. I don't understand why they did that at all, because if they hadn't, this movie would go off like a bomb with the fans a lot more I think.

Arnie is in great form for a senior citizen and I really like the interactions with his younger self. Both Clarkes were great, even if Emilia isn't quite up to Linda Hamilton's standard, and Jai Courtney was a lot less annoying than he's been elsewhere.

Of course it ain't perfect. Spoilers
Spoiler:
Both J.K. Simmons and Matt Smith are pretty much wasted. Matt Smith in particular was really creepy and cool in the 30 seconds or so he was actually on screen, I would've liked to see more of the "human" Skynet than the boring avatar at the end. The plot, much as it twists and turns in entertaining ways, does still boil down to the "let's blow shit up and stop Skynet again" scenario which is getting a bit old. I was kind of hoping they'd go crazy with time travel and do something like the great Robocop Vs. Terminator comic which took things to insane levels.

But still, better than I imagined and the best of the series since T2 IMHO. I don't really know where they'd from here (or if they need to - there aren't really a lot of threads left hanging) but I'm glad we got a truly interesting sequel at last.
Old 07-01-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm fucking STUNNED at all these good reviews. I'd pretty much written off the movies and considered T:TSCC as the proper heir, but maybe I'll go see this afterall.
Old 07-01-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I will probably watch it again this weekend in ATMOS.
Old 07-01-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It was just to confusing,

Spoiler:
I just do not see how changing the future would also change the past. And I just hated the Mission Impossible plot of making the long time favorite and main chactor the bad guy (Mr. Phelps)
Old 07-01-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
It was just to confusing,

Spoiler:
I just do not see how changing the future would also change the past. And I just hated the Mission Impossible plot of making the long time favorite and main chactor the bad guy (Mr. Phelps)
Since when was
Spoiler:
John Connor
anyone's favorite character?
Old 07-01-15, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. He's never been a favorite. He's been awesome as that mythical/legendary type....

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Mg7qKstnPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And he barely did anything. Otherwise.. he was a good/great character in one movie.
Old 07-01-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well let's just say main and not evil.
Old 07-01-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Spoiler:
Yeah, John definitely isn't the reason these films are popular. Furlong and Schwarzenegger had great chemistry in Judgement Day which is a great film, but aside from that the character while central to the plot of the franchise has never been greatly portrayed.
Old 07-01-15, 06:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I must have missed this, but did they explain who it was that sent 'pops' back?
Old 07-01-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
The same person who put the egg in the Sulaco.
Old 07-01-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I am pretty shocked as well that this movie is reviewing positive here. I also wrote this movie off. I will now look forward to checking it out, as opposed to seeing it when get around to seeing it.

Unless you all became bots recently....and it's all a ploy.
Old 07-01-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Sarah did.
Old 07-01-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
The same person who put the egg in the Sulaco.
Did you watch it already?
Old 07-01-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And let's not forget those terrible EW shoots and posters. I don't get what they were thinking. Whoever was on that team is probably going to have a hard time getting more work.

JK Simmons came and went really fast. It was an interesting take on a character. He was maybe a nod to the psychiatrist in T2, who was memorable, but never a focal point.

Reviews that say it's "confusing" need to STFU. Seriously. It's a pretty simple time travel movie. They jump time twice. And they do their best to fill in the paradoxes.
Old 07-01-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like that they went with the outer skin being real instead of synthetic, because, well, it grew back slowly in TG, and way back in T1 - it rotted away when Arnold was in the hotel. There were flies on him. I liked that bit of continuity.
Old 07-01-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Reviews that say it's "confusing" need to STFU. Seriously. It's a pretty simple time travel movie. They jump time twice. And they do their best to fill in the paradoxes.
Any idea why the negative reviews? I can accept that the expectations were higher and it's not upto T2 standards. But why the "it's confusing", "it's a mess" critic reviews?

Looks like I'll be spending $20 at IMAX.
Old 07-01-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
But why the "it's confusing", "it's a mess" critic reviews?
It'd compare it to X-Men: Days of Future Past. It's really not confusing.

Spoiler:
Kyle goes back in time. There's a major rift at the point of time travel (John being taken by the new machine tech), that leaves Kyle to remember both timelines. Kyle ends up in 1984, right after the original bad Arnie. We find out that another set of terminators were sent back in the 70's to kill young Sara. John then travels back to around 2014 and assures work on Genisys is finished (and also gets a head start on the time machine). Sara and Kyle fast forward to 2017 to destroy Genisys before it goes online.

I'm not big on film criticism, and don't give anyone much credit. I think it's just a case of a big movie being treated like crap.

It retcons the story. And it opens up the franchise to do whatever it wants. After T2, we had the idea that we're never going to see outside that timeline. We were given that the terminators went thru, and the machine was destroyed immediately afterwards. The idea of tactile time travel warfare is neat. The future of the franchise probably lies with the BO results of Genisys.

It's certainly more charismatic than the last two films. But, again, remember - this isn't the early 90's. This is a 2015 film. The effects are largely been-there-done-that. The filmmaking is different, to keep up with the quicker pace that people are accustomed to now. T2 was almost 25 years ago.

Also, the fascinating stuff that JC put on screen is not here. And that's part of what makes his movies so good - is that he creates moments on screen that haven't been done before. Arnie fixing his eye in T1. All of the T1000 stuff in T2 and the Miles Dyson arm-reveal in T2.

Then you also have the physical stunts that he builds up to (which are more common, but still cool). He worked in the canal jump, the helicopter jump, the semi crash. In Genisys, it goes bigger (the bus crash and some other stuff). But when stunts are too big and CG'd, you tend to disconnect a little bit and they don't feel as intimate.

Maybe I watched T2 too much. But his movies also find little detailed moments that I think are in there because of JC. Like the T1000 using a third arm to reload when he's in the helicopter. Or at Dyson's house, when Arnie pushes open the door and the hardware snaps like it was nothing. Other filmmakers don't care about those details.
Old 07-01-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

using a third arm to reload when he's in the helicopter
That was not a third arm. That was the actual helicopter pilot's hand. It's a goof. It was done to show how cool the T-1000 could reload quickly but the hand slipped in by mistake. Kind of how the windshields of the semi break in the canal but then they're back on as it's chasing John Connor.

T2 may be my favorite film of all time but there are tons of goofs in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.