Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Terminator Genisys?
Loved it, Bring on the next movie!
9.26%
Liked it
33.33%
It was alright
23.15%
It was watchable, but disappointing
21.30%
Hated it with every fiber of my being
3.70%
Not going to waste my hard earned money on it
1.85%
Not interested in seeing it in theaters, but will catch it on BD/DVD
5.56%
Will wait even longer until it hits HBO or On demand
0.93%
I refuse to support this movie in any form. It never should have been made.
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Just got out of this a little while ago and I really liked it. Obviously it's probably not surprising to most given that I've been defending the film when so many have been eager to shit on it and I'm a big fan of Schwarzenegger/the franchise in general but I thought it worked well.

The film feels more in line with the two Cameron films and you can tell the filmmakers wanted to be respectful to those films but also wanted to put their own spin on things. I really thought that Emilia Clarke made a good Sarah. She wasn't the Linda Hamilton version but she wasn't supposed to be and I think she did a really good job. Arnold was great as expected and seemed to be having a good time with the film. Jai Courtney I felt was okay as Reese but not the strongest aspect of the film. The small part that J.K. Simmons had was good and I also really liked Lee as the T-1000.

I also didn't find the time travel aspect very confusing. I think it obviously helps if people have seen the first film at least, but I thought it was mostly straight forward. The way the alternate 1984 part of the story played out was a lot of fun. Liked the showdown between Arnold and Arnold and the T-1000 was badass just like his Robert Patrick counterpart.

The only real complaints I have is some of the dialogue didn't feel natural at times and the end sequence at Cyberdyne was so-so in my opinion. Definitely not as cool or intense as the final showdown scenes of the Cameron films but not terrible either. I also agree with the poster that mentioned a lot of the action feels like it over relies on CG, whereas the original films had the much preferred practical effects but I understand that practice is a lot more common in these types of films now days.

Overall I'd say to people who are on the fence to give it a chance. There's been so much negativity surrounding this film that it's really sort of ridiculous. It isn't one of the best films ever made or anything but it's a fun and entertaining film.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-02-15 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-02-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way better than T3 or TS.

Lots of little things that make you go hmm... Probably plot points they'll explain in the next two sequels, which apparently are already greenlit.
Old 07-02-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That was not a third arm. That was the actual helicopter pilot's hand. It's a goof. It was done to show how cool the T-1000 could reload quickly but the hand slipped in by mistake.
I think you are incorrect. There were stills that showed this was done because piloting a helicopter requires two hands. The T-100 grew more arms so that he could pilot the chopper and fire the weapon. I don't think this one was a goof.

I saw Genisys last night and I really liked it, and I am a huge fan of T2. The recreations of the 84 film near the beginning of this film was pretty awesome, and I thought that Emillia Clark was really good in it and had good chemistry with Jai Courtney. She is stunning with darker locks.
Old 07-02-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I think you are incorrect. There were stills that showed this was done because piloting a helicopter requires two hands. The T-100 grew more arms so that he could pilot the chopper and fire the weapon. I don't think this one was a goof.
It's not a goof. The T1000 has 4 arms : 2 piloting the helicopter and 2 reloading the weapon :

Old 07-02-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I walked by the poster on my way out and I have to say it was weird seeing Arnold's last name not above the poster.

Overall I liked it a lot. It was an enjoyable movie and it was fun seeing Arnold again in his signature role. I was also surprised by Emilia Clarke who I thought did a good job as Sarah Connor. It's crazy how tiny she is also. Courtney was Ok. Not sure why Hollywood seems to have a hard on for him. This almost felt like something you would see in Terminator fan fiction or as a comic book.

My only complaint is the lack of the T-1000. Lee fit the role well and I would have liked to see more of him. I'm going to give this a 4/5. It's a fun and effective movie. I think a lot of bad reviews come from the fact that some view this as a tired franchise and are sick of Terminator movies.
Old 07-02-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Only made a little under $10 million on opening day. Probably going to have a $50 million Wednesday through Sunday opening, but when your movie cost $170 million to make, chances of a sequel aren't too great.
Old 07-02-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the negative reviews come off like the people writing them wanted this film to be some horrible piece of shit and didn't give it a chance and were going to talk shit about it no matter what.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Only made a little under $10 million on opening day. Probably going to have a $50 million Wednesday through Sunday opening, but when your movie cost $170 million to make, chances of a sequel aren't too great.
I thought I read that sequels were already greenlit.
Old 07-02-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.slashfilm.com/jk-simmons-...nisys-sequels/

...Two sequels have been planned and are written, but everyone involved from Arnold Schwarzenegger to producers David Ellison and Dana Goldberg have said it all depends on Terminator Genisys doing well at the box office, proving fans want more of the story...
Old 07-02-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
It's not a goof. The T1000 has 4 arms : 2 piloting the helicopter and 2 reloading the weapon :

Wow, I never noticed the fourth arm before. I was going to say that this was an actual set-bound piece but now it's definitely clear that Patrick is sitting in front of the pilot and it's not an actual set-piece but the real thing. Either that or it's inconsistent. They should have shown the arms grow out.
Old 07-02-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm looking forward to watching it. Although 3 and Salvation weren't great I still enjoyed them since I love the Terminator story. I will be buying my ticket next week.
BTW, Shannon Nutt, what movies do you like? You seem to hate on about everything. I was reading the Jurassic thread and you crapped all over that too.
Old 07-02-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Does Earl Boen appear as Dr. Silberman, or some new actor appear as Dr. Silberman? No Silberman, No Sale.

"I know what it's like to be in a hostile situation. I've been there myself. Fear. Adrenaline. You find yourself imagining things. Impossible things. Crazy things. Insane things. It takes years to get over it."-- Dr. Silberman, T3

Last edited by PatD; 07-02-15 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. But J.K. Simmon's character sorta takes up the mantle.
Old 07-02-15, 10:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jesus H. Christ - I can see why the critics are savaging this film to pieces - it IS shit ... plot points come and go and never get resolved; or just pop up for no reason it's like watching a film being edited live in front of your face, badly. So many scenes seem like homage's to T2, that it's as if the filmmaker's couldn't come up with any new visual ideas for this installment. Courtney can't act his way out of a bag to save his life, he's so utterly bland. Terminator 3 played out as a comedy, and fanboys have pointed out that Schwarzenegger for Genisys has some funny bits - it all went over my head. I can't say the action helped in any way, since so much of it was spoiled by the trailers. As it reached it's eventual conclusion, I so wanted to say out loud ... "oh it's done? finally! and there goes two hours of my life I will never ever get back"
Old 07-02-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was not a third arm. That was the actual helicopter pilot's hand. It's a goof. It was done to show how cool the T-1000 could reload quickly but the hand slipped in by mistake. Kind of how the windshields of the semi break in the canal but then they're back on as it's chasing John Connor.

T2 may be my favorite film of all time but there are tons of goofs in the film.
Which is kind of surprising given how much of a notorious perfectionist Cameron is known for being. No doubt that he'll "fix" some of them on the BD like he did Aliens Bishop good. If it ever comes out.
Old 07-02-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Which is kind of surprising given how much of a notorious perfectionist Cameron is known for being. No doubt that he'll "fix" some of them on the BD like he did Aliens Bishop good. If it ever comes out.
That close-up would never be shot while the helicopter was actually flying, so why hide a pilot behind the actor? T1000's arms are an intentional plot point.
Old 07-02-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was not a third arm. That was the actual helicopter pilot's hand. It's a goof. It was done to show how cool the T-1000 could reload quickly but the hand slipped in by mistake. Kind of how the windshields of the semi break in the canal but then they're back on as it's chasing John Connor.

T2 may be my favorite film of all time but there are tons of goofs in the film.
I know this has been resolved, but given this is a forum of movie fans (behind the scenes knowledge, etc) I find it funny that someone would think that shot was of an actual flying helicopter.

I'm hoping to see this next Friday. I'm expecting that I will enjoy it.
Old 07-03-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it in Atmos and loved it.

Like others, I had completely written this one off, especially after Salvation.

The beginning sequence makes the film completely worth it. That was something Salvation should have done years ago.
Old 07-03-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I know this has been resolved, but given this is a forum of movie fans (behind the scenes knowledge, etc) I find it funny that someone would think that shot was of an actual flying helicopter.

I'm hoping to see this next Friday. I'm expecting that I will enjoy it.
Yeah, I'm being facetious. When I was growing up and that scene was pointed out to me I was like wow!
Old 07-03-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, I don't see this one getting past 90m domestic.. which is bad. But it was always going to need international sales... hopefully those are 300m+. Even with that it'll be a toss-up whether a sequel is approved or not.
Old 07-03-15, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Spoiler:
So, who sent Pops in the 70's? The only cool answer would be alternate timeline John Connor, played by Eddie Furlong.

Spoiler:
I thought it was pretty cool that Arnie is now a T-1000, but its makes little sense for him to still be "aged", but I can forgive that.

I thought it was pretty good, better than 3 & 4 anyhow. I really wish there was more JK Simmons, I thought his storyline was great. I'm sure if I dug an inch deeper I could find countless Time Portal sized plot holes, but then again that goes for all Terminator films. That said I was expecting more, I get that they set it up for sequels, but I dunno, I wish some things were fleshed out a bit better.

The Terminator 5/5
Terminator 2: Judgement Day 5/5
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 3/5
Terminator: Salvation 3/5
Terminator: Genisys 3.5/5
Old 07-03-15, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just got out of a super late showing in Hollywood. Saw it at the TCL Chinese theatre.

I liked it as well. It was good to see Arnold back in his most famous role. And I like this new take/reboot of the series. It definitely wipes Part 3 and 4 and re-writes the series. I thought Salvation for the most part was a pretty depressing post apocalyptic action movie with robots, not a Terminator movie. This felt like a Terminator movie and had a lot of the spirit and humor from the earlier movies. I'm glad to see in that interview I posted that James Cameron enjoyed it too.

Emilia Clarke actually worked as Sarah and put in a pretty good acting performance. I think it's hilarious in the other thread how some of the GOT nerds crap on her and think she's the worst part of that show.

Jai Courtney is no Michael Biehn, but I actually thought he worked as Kyle. I really enjoyed seeing a lot of Reese's backstory that we haven't seen in the previous movies. In the TV series they actually made up a brother named Derek, who doesn't exist in the film world.

If the franchise doesn't continue, I think the way it ended works as a wrap up to the series.

Also I thought Jason Clarke was pretty freaking awesome as John. The opening future sequence with John and Kyle was pretty damn good. Yes, whoever at Paramount thought it was cool to cut the trailer spoiling that big twist should be fired. Same goes with the poster artwork that also reveals it.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-03-15 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-03-15, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by filmerp
That close-up would never be shot while the helicopter was actually flying, so why hide a pilot behind the actor? T1000's arms are an intentional plot point.
If that were the case, then you'd think that the T-1000 would use extra arms when it battled with the T-800 . I thought that one of the features on the DVD acknowledged it as a goof, but I can't imagine that it was shot in an actual flying helicopter, so you may well be right -shrug-.
Old 07-03-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chadm
Spoiler:
I thought it was pretty cool that Arnie is now a T-1000, but its makes little sense for him to still be "aged", but I can forgive that.
Spoiler:
I was a bit confused on that. I know the liquid metal was being shown in development at Cyberdyne and that there was some mention of it not being functional yet without a chip, but was Pops actually turned into a T-1000? I assume he has some regenerative abilities now as he was able to go back to his previous appearance and got his arm back that was ripped out.
Old 07-03-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
I was a bit confused on that. I know the liquid metal was being shown in development at Cyberdyne and that there was some mention of it not being functional yet without a chip, but was Pops actually turned into a T-1000? I assume he has some regenerative abilities now as he was able to go back to his previous appearance and got his arm back that was ripped out.

I'm thinking he's a
Spoiler:
T-X. Just like Loken in T3 or some sort of variation. I wouldn't think the liquid metal would just absorb the endoskeleton.
Old 07-03-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's some spoilers on Matt Smith's character.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...cter-explained

“You see in the beginning,” says Kalogridis. “[Matt Smith] grabs John. He’s not from this timeline. He’s from an alternate universe, in the multiverse. Another of the many universes that exist. That Skynet is not from that timeline… This Skynet has been to this universe, and this universe, and this universe. That’s why he says, ‘I came a very long way to stop you.’ He’s not from here. So he’s watched it. He’s watched it happen a bunch of different times, and each time he’s seen it there is a different result but the same result.”

I'm not going to wrap it in spoilers, so if you haven't seen the film then you shouldn't be in this thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.