Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Extant (S1E05) -- "What on Earth is Wrong?" -- 8/06/14

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Extant (S1E05) -- "What on Earth is Wrong?" -- 8/06/14

OHN QUESTIONS THE VALIDITY OF MOLLY'S PREGNANCY, ON "EXTANT," AT ITS NEW TIME, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 6 AT 10:00 PM

Editor's note: "Extant" and "Criminal Minds" swap time periods starting Wednesday, July 30.

Josh Malina Guest Stars as Dr. Beck, Who Treats Molly

Academy, Golden Globe and Emmy Award Winner Louis Gossett, Jr. Returns as Quinn, Molly's Father

"What on Earth is Wrong?" - When the validity of Molly's pregnancy comes into question, John begins to doubt her mental state, on EXTANT, at its new time, Wednesday, August 6 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television. Meanwhile, Ethan suffers a serious setback, and John and Julie clash over how to care for him. Josh Malina guest stars as Doctor Beck who treats Molly. Academy Award winner Louis Gossett Jr. returns as Quinn, Molly's estranged father.

SERIES REGULARS:

Halle Berry (Molly Woods)
Goran Visnjic (John Woods)
Pierce Gagnon (Ethan Woods)
Hiroyuki Sanada (Hideki Yasumoto)
Michael O'Neill (Alan Sparks)
Grace Gummer (Julie Gelineau)
AND:
Camryn Manheim (Sam Barton)

GUEST CAST:

Tyler Hilton
Sam Golzari
WITH:
Josh Malina
AND:
Louis Gossett, Jr.

WRITTEN BY: Peter Ocko

DIRECTED BY: Dan Lerner

Episode 5 of 13

Previous Threads:

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-30-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-23-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-16-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-09-14-a.html
Old 08-12-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Extant (S1E05) -- "What on Earth is Wrong?" -- 8/06/14

Quickly gaining on Under The Dome. No evidence of being pregnant? Come on...

But still enjoying the rest of the show. Didn't see the artificial leg scene coming. And I find that woman more attractive than HB, so that was a great scene.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-12-14 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey

But still enjoying the resft of the show. Didn't see the artificial leg scene coming. And I find that woman more attractive than HB, so that was a great scene.
What are three shows that Steven Spielberg currently has an Executive Producer credit?

Under The Dome, Extant, and Falling Skies.
Old 08-12-14, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But still enjoying the resft of the show. Didn't see the artificial leg scene coming. And I find that woman more attractive than HB, so that was a great scene.
Interesting. I was going to say that she's proving that acting talent isn't genetic but when I saw no one commenting here last week, I decided not to.

I'm still enjoying the show, but if this forum is any indication, interest is dying down.
Old 08-12-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Laertes
Interesting. I was going to say that she's proving that acting talent isn't genetic but when I saw no one commenting here last week, I decided not to.
I saw your comment and had to look that up. I had no idea. Not at all like mommy.
Old 08-12-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
There's no expectation that your opinion line up with the (apparently) prevailing one.

I'm still enjoying the show, but if this forum is any indication, interest is dying down.
I'm still enjoying it too, but not enough that I feel I need to comment on each episode. And certainly not enough to invest the time and energy to rebut the Trash Train (tm) these threads have become. But since I'm typing, this show is nowhere near as bad as Under The Dome. It takes place in a time far in our future, so it's completely believable in a science fiction context that they could extract the baby and remove all signs of the pregnancy.
Old 08-12-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
It takes place in a time far in our future, so it's completely believable in a science fiction context that they could extract the baby and remove all signs of the pregnancy.
I really wanted to land there, but given the 2014 era standards used to determine she was pregnant, they don't get to turn around and make the same signs impossibly reversible without some complex explanation. Maybe if they had something other than a blood test and ultrasound. And like Mulder, I want to believe.
Old 08-12-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's not Under The Dome...yet. The acting is better and the writers appear to be taking things a little more seriously. It does have train-wreck potential down the line.
Old 08-13-14, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really wanted to land there, but given the 2014 era standards used to determine she was pregnant, they don't get to turn around and make the same signs impossibly reversible without some complex explanation. Maybe if they had something other than a blood test and ultrasound. And like Mulder, I want to believe.
Sure they do. In 1969, we landed on the moon. Yet our cars operated essentially the same as the Model T. All technology does not advance simultaneously. Some things explode because they need to. But some things are good enough and there's little push to upgrade them.

The bottom line is you're just not going to accept perfectly plausible explanations because for whatever (valid) reason, you just don't like the show. I'm never going to argue that someone should like a particular piece of art, but I can't say the reasons given for why some folks don't like Extant ring true for me.

I have my issues with the show as well, but they're more along the lines of falling short, not treating the characters (and the audience) like idiots -- which is what I felt while watching S1 of Under The Dome (I didn't watch S2). I'd give it somewhere around a B- to C (depends on how it plays out). Here's hoping its worst sin will remain "underwhelming" not "stupid".
Old 08-13-14, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally There's no expectation that your opinion line up with the (apparently) prevailing one.

Okay, I'm not trying to pick a fight. What is the prevailing opinion though? That Gummer is good? I'm seriously curious, because I haven't seen anyone comment on her either way anywhere. Granted, I'm not following these threads nor have I read a lot of what critics are saying. Are people enjoying her performance? I'm prepared to be in a minority, in any case.

As I said, I'm still enjoying the show; I think I'm enjoying it more than other people are, but she's not a highlight for me but she certainly isn't hampering my enjoyment. I made no comment on her attractiveness, either.
Old 08-13-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The bottom line is you're just not going to accept perfectly plausible explanations because for whatever (valid) reason, you just don't like the show. I'm never going to argue that someone should like a particular piece of art, but I can't say the reasons given for why some folks don't like Extant ring true for me.
You're opinion that it's plausable doesn't make it so for everybody else. And you don't get to speak for my like or dislike of the show. And I could have went further. Only an idiot would go to a relatives house when on the run. There are more, but apparently if you poke at something you continue to watch, it must mean you don't like it. Hint - complete apathy, and ceasing to watch all together, is the sign of total dislike you are looking for.

I have my issues with the show as well, but they're more along the lines of falling short, not treating the characters (and the audience) like idiots -- which is what I felt while watching S1 of Under The Dome (I didn't watch S2). I'd give it somewhere around a B- to C (depends on how it plays out). Here's hoping its worst sin will remain "underwhelming" not "stupid".
I don't think it's reached Dome level yet. But I have my fears that it certainly will in the next couple episodes including any ridiculous cliff hangers. And unlike Dome, there may not be anybody willing to keep this one going. Including the actors. Certainly HB can find somehting better to do. Even if it's just doing something as equally average as Rosmary's Baby.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-13-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-13-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only an idiot would go to a relatives house when on the run.
And yet, that's what the vast majority of people in real life do. This woman has spent her life in the pursuit of science and space exploration. I doubt she's given much thought to what to do if you have to suddenly leave your whole life behind and go on the run. They didn't present it as a smart option, they presented it as an option driven by panic. Smart people do dumb things all the time in real life, especially in a panic situation.

There are more, but apparently if you poke at something you continue to watch, it must mean you don't like it.
There are more in any show. But the stuff you've pointed out aren't things that are without any possible explanation. And the more you poke at minor explainable things that don't really matter to the overall story, the more you indicate one of two things...

A) You're not exactly enjoying it all that much, because most people simply don't spend the vast majority of their time and energy knocking things they enjoy

or

B) You just like complaining

So while I certainly don't get to speak for you, I do get to comment on my perception of your public comments. IMO, associating it with Under The Dome speaks volumes about your perception of the show.

As I've said, I certainly have no desire to change your (or anyone else's) opinion of the show. But I think it'd be a disservice to those who may be trying to decide whether to watch the show to leave these threads with a prevailing perception that this show is, "just as sucky as Under The Dome," filled with inexplicably stupid actions and events.

I don't think it's reached Dome level yet. But I have my fears that it certainly will in the next couple episodes including any ridiculous cliff hangers. And unlike Dome, there may not be anybody willing to keep this one going. Including the actors.
I can't say. I'll watch it as long as it entertains me, then I won't. Personally, I don't care if it keeps going. Based on what I've seen, I'd rather it be a one and done. It's not compelling, it's passable.
Old 08-13-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But I think it'd be a disservice to those who may be trying to decide whether to watch the show to leave these threads with a prevailing perception that this show is, "just as sucky as Under The Dome," filled with inexplicably stupid actions and events.
Not quite what people have posted, but we'll just have to agree to disagree as I'm going to continue to point out when they step over the line into Dome territory. And it's too bad the show has declined in that area, because other elements are working. Like the reveal of the enitity out in space and the discovery of how they can see it.
Old 08-13-14, 03:17 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I binged watched all five eps over the last few days... and I'm a bit indifferent with this show. I'll still watch it for the acting and the tech... and Lou Gossett Jr.