Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was at the local flea market yesterday and noticed two diffrent vendors selling bootleg copies of movies.

The first guy had a whole table of them: Matrix Reloaded, Finding Nemo, Terminator 3, Pirates of the Caribbean, and some others.
By the look of the case cover art, you could tell that they were "home brew" copies. He only wanted eight dollars each for them. I opend the case up and there was a white dvd rom with a sticker that said "Matrix Reloaded" on it. No artwork to speak of. The guy selling it was an older asian guy who probably had it imported.

The second dealer didn't have the selection, but what he did have was of very good quality. His dvd of PotC looked authentic. The case has a full front and rear cover art. It actually looks like something you could go buy at Best Buy or Circuit City. In other words, it looks completely authentic. Even the disc had the theatrical poster art on it and it was not some sticker printed on a printer. He wanted 10 for it. I only had 9 on me, so he took it.

Ok, picture quality: Deleted. We don't allow discussions of bootleg quality on the forums. - Static

What was kinda ironic wabout the whole purchase was the night before I went out and saw Freddy vs. Jason and before the movie, a message came on the sceen taking about movie piracy. Did anyone see this?

If I had to do it over again, I probably would have saved my money for a more quality product (the official release). I am essentially going to pay nine dollars more for the same movie that everyone else here won't have to.

Bootleg DVD's = Not worth it.
Old 08-18-03, 09:20 PM
Banned

ok.
Old 08-18-03, 09:20 PM

selfish reasons of a low-quality disc aside.... it's also stealing from a profession that we all love and should support.
Old 08-18-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What, in the name of Zeus's Butthole, would make you buy a flea market bootleg for 9$ when the movie will be released on DVD in a matter of a few months, and for probably less than 16$.

Old 08-18-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-18-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
Did it have an insert??!
Old 08-18-03, 10:11 PM
Suspended

In other news: world is round!!
Old 08-18-03, 10:11 PM

While on vacation in New York I saw lots of guys come out at night selling bootleg dvds on the streets. Some even ran off when the cops pulled up. Anyway I got American Wedding the day before it was released in cinemas and watched about 2 seconds. It was the worst quality I had ever seen. The moment I saw someones head go past the screen and sit down it was off. I was surprised it was that bad because it had cover art and it was wrapped in plastic. I paid 5 bucks which was 5 bucks too much.
Old 08-18-03, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Dump in a pretty box is still dump.
Old 08-18-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"While on vacation in New York I saw lots of guys come out at night selling bootleg dvds on the streets. Some even ran off when the cops pulled up. "

These classic moments are better then any comedy I've seen for years. Alot of the cops knows these guys by first name too.

Dean
Old 08-18-03, 11:52 PM

Could you guys explain to me why bootlegs of movies exist at all in the US? I would understand if it was China or *cough* Malaysia....but the U.S.??
Old 08-19-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DataZak
Could you guys explain to me why bootlegs of movies exist at all in the US? I would understand if it was China or *cough* Malaysia....but the U.S.??
Because suckers like Flare65 pay $9 for them.
Old 08-19-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some people are cheap and want poor quality now that is illegal rather than wait for the official release.
Old 08-19-03, 01:08 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a reminder... discussions on obtaining bootlegs, distributing bootlegs, and bootleg quality are all not allowed on the forums.
Old 08-19-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Because morons don't realize you can get the same thing for free offline if you know how.

I call it Stupid tax.

Deleted as above - Static

You should have saved the money and just waited or been smart and find a better means to get it without putting money in a bootleggers pocket.

Those ad's are part of http://www.respectcopyrights.org/ and yes, the MPAA is well aware of this as they were well aware of it back when it was done on VHS.

crap is crap even if it has a fancy sticker on it and says 5.1, it lies.
Old 08-19-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so bootlegs are bad? whoa!
Old 08-19-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bronkster
Did it have an insert??!
Old 08-19-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw the "Movies, they're worth it" anti-boot ad before FvsJ as well. The entire theater, being the rowdy crowd that it was, booed the screen simultaniously. Probably not the best choice of a target audience for such a sappy ad!

Oh, and I see -good- movies in the theater no matter what.
Old 08-19-03, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by filmerp
I saw the "Movies, they're worth it" anti-boot ad before FvsJ as well. The entire theater, being the rowdy crowd that it was, booed the screen simultaniously. Probably not the best choice of a target audience for such a sappy ad!

Oh, and I see -good- movies in the theater no matter what.
This ad ran before my viewing of Open Range...it also got a stream of boos and laughs from the audience...and this audience was predominantly over 30...most of them over 50. Guess this campaign isn't one of Hollyood's brighter ideas.
Old 08-19-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by caiman
Because suckers like Flare65 pay $9 for them.

No doubt....$9.00 for a piece of crap copy when all one has to do is excercise a little patience and obtain an official copy of this movie in a couple of months. Probably be out in November for the Xmas rush. I'll have this for $15.00 or less once it is released.
Old 08-19-03, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Were there any good deals on Rolexes at that flea market? ... just wondering
Old 08-19-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

originally posted by Flare65 [/i]
The second dealer didn't have the selection, but what he did have was of very good quality. His dvd of PotC looked authentic. The case has a full front and rear cover art. It actually looks like something you could go buy at Best Buy or Circuit City. In other words, it looks completely authentic. Even the disc had the theatrical poster art on it and it was not some sticker printed on a printer. He wanted 10 for it. I only had 9 on me, so he took it.
I can't tell from this- did you *honestly* think that you were getting an authentic DVD, or were you knowingly buying a bootleg and just figuring that good cover=good copy of the movie?

I just don't understand people buying bootlegs, being aware that they're bootlegs, then complaining about the quality. If you thought you were buying a authentic DVD (though I can't see why you would think so- the movie is still in theaters) then I can see your point.

-jason
Old 08-19-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Bootlegs are suckekeke
Old 08-19-03, 08:57 AM

My roommate buys bootlegs sometimes. Then gets all defensive when I refuse to watch any of them with him. Its sad.

On a semi-related note I have a question about legal aspects. He recently got a DVD+RW and is starting to record stuff off his TiVo. Now if he records The Matrix off of prime time NBC or something what is the legality of that?
I mean he can't make a copy of his DVD for his own use, but can he make a copy off the TV. I know with VHS this has always been okay, but digital copies are a bit different. Anyone know about this?
Old 08-19-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How were the extras & commentary track?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.