Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Old 08-23-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would never buy a boot. However, I have downloaded films before, and as a result, bought many many movies I would have never purchased or seen otherwise.

Most of these bootleg buyers are cheap idiots who don't care enough about the films they're watching to buy the offical DVDs anyways, they never have and never will. Think about it... if there's a movie you like, and want to buy on DVD, do you go "Hey! I can just get a bootleg instead!" no, of course not. Bootlegs aren't replacements.

Has bootlegging and downloading hurt the industry? yeah, it has, but only in a way I like. Whatever do I mean? The Hulk was released early online, fanboys saw it, most thought it was terrible, and didn't go see it. The film got hurt because of it. If the Hulk was an awesome movie though? everyone would have been abuzz, and it wouldn't have effected the grosse at all.
Old 08-24-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Let's buy some $50 Louis Vuitton bags and $25 Rolex watches and maybe some fake Cadillac Cars too while we're at it. I bought a bootleg ONCE in my life ----- as we all know - a waste, let me rephrase that - a COMPLETE WASTE of money, as well as time haggling with the sucker who won't be there tomorrow just IN CASE you want to go back and complain about it or ask for your money back. Amazing what some people will do to save a buck! But, then it's not saving at all, IS IT?!

Buy a bootleg, get what you deserve!
Old 08-24-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody here in the Philippines buys bootleg DVDs. I, myself, can't stand them. My relatives who buy the stuff say that it's touch and go...some are actually pretty good. But I won't touch em...won't even buy Region 3 DVDs...all my DVDs I have to get from the States.
Old 08-24-03, 09:06 AM
Banned

I agree with Biz... I normally wouldn't buy a bootleg, but I'll download like crazy.

I use the same policy that I use with my downloaded music - the companies have given me crap releases for so long, and have ripped me off by providing less than what I expected for so long, I don't feel bad downloading their product. If the product I download looks good, I'll buy the CD, or I'll buy the DVD.

I am tired of being ripped off by CD's with one good track on the album and the rest is filler material. I'm tired of movies that put together a decent looking trailer, but when I see it I think that the plot was written by a retarded 8 year old.

If the RIAA and Hollywood start putting out quality material, I'll stop downloading.

The one time I will buy a bootleg is if I feel that there will never be an official release. If there isn't an official release to compete with, then I'm not taking any money from Hollywood, am I? I'm going elsewhere to get a product that they refuse to sell to me.
Old 08-24-03, 11:32 AM

I don't buy or download bootlegs because I'd rather spend the money on a real movie and I don't feel like tracking down piss poor copy of a movie when I can watch a better quality movie without the hassel.

I did however make an exception for the Two Towers. I bought a "for you coinsideration" bootleg and the only reason I bought it was because I knew Warner would be sending me a free copy of Two Towers anyways.
Old 08-24-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So you bought a copy of something you were going to be getting for free?

I got my Consideration dvd screener from warner and I felt no need to support any bootlegger.

Has bootlegging and downloading hurt the industry? yeah, it has, but only in a way I like. Whatever do I mean? The Hulk was released early online, fanboys saw it, most thought it was terrible, and didn't go see it. The film got hurt because of it. If the Hulk was an awesome movie though? everyone would have been abuzz, and it wouldn't have effected the grosse at all.
I would agree and also go on to say that those fan boys who hated it from the workprint where the same ones complaining about the Hulk's image and CGI look for the months prior to that so chances of them watching it really were low if only to complain about it after. Thos who were going to give it a chance anyways saw it in theaters even after seeing the workprint for the simple mentality that "Hey, it's a work print, maybe they fixed up some of it". either way, the bad box reaction of the film was because of the film and not because Pirates on the high seas of the net screwed it over.
Old 08-24-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Last summer I made a ton of bootlegs, mostly because I was so fascinated with the technology. Strangely, my whole family still went to the theater, often even though we had a copy of the film being shown. I ended up throwing away the stuff I didn't like (Witchblade and tons of movies) and buying or trading for the ones I did like (Buffy and Farscape). So, I don't think bootlegs hurt the industry that much, but they aren't very good either. Even when they're great quality, there's just something about having the real thing . . .

tasha
Old 08-24-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Despite what I said early, I wouldn't buy a bootleg. It's not about me thinking "Oh, well, I should reward the film companys..." it's more about me thinking "I'm not paying this guy ANY MONEY because he burned a film to a DVD, he doesn't deserve it."
Old 08-24-03, 05:51 PM

I d/l quite a few movies last year. Mostly not that good stuff that I wasn't likely to even rent on DVD and CERTAINLY would never have paid to see in the theater. I did enjoy a few of those flicks and immediately (upon availability) picked up the official DVD release. I definitely wouldn't want to buy a bootleg version of a movie that I liked enough to own. I know a friend who has bought a lot of boots from Asia on trips over there, but I'd rather get something of quality and not line the pockets of the bootleggers.

I haven't even d/l any movies in quite a while as I got tired of the off color, lousy sound, etc. With Netflix, I also solved my other problem of not being able to take rentals with me for as long as I might be out of town....so I can more easily rent those marginal flicks I'm not that interested in.
Old 08-24-03, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by DataZak
Could you guys explain to me why bootlegs of movies exist at all in the US? I would understand if it was China or *cough* Malaysia....but the U.S.??
Malaysia has been really tough lately on VCD,music CD's and DVD vendors !I cannot find 1 store open or any any rental store of illegal music CD,VCD nor DVD's.If only other countries would do the same.The Malaysian government has also asked the software companies, music companies and DVD to bring down the prices of products.So that the local here can afford it.
A DVD sells for $15 to 16 in US but the same DVD with a lot of censored scenes sells for almost $35 in Malaysia.So why would not they buy it?If only they would bring the prices of DVD and CD's to a price the people in Asia countries can afford.The they could crush the pirates a bit more.
Sony in Japan has introduced a new CD for it's music artist.It says the track cannot be copied so they are bringing in new technology to stop piracy
Old 08-24-03, 10:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The commerical they should make:

Guy is in front of his computer. His friends are all about to take off to a movie.

"You coming?"
"Naw, why pay when I can just watch it for free?"

Cut back and forth from guys at movie having fun (camradery, audience laughing together, guy holding hands with girl as she smiles at him, etc.) to guy alone at home (download takes forever, first copy isn't even the right movie, second copy is crappy camcordered thing in a tiny window, etc.)

Granted, it's slightly dishonest as it doesn't take into account crappy movies, annoying moviegoers, etc. but it's still a lot better than the "you're robbing the poor set painter" approach.
Old 08-24-03, 11:28 PM
Banned

Heh, good points, DRG.

I've told people many a time that movies on computers are ok, but you can't cuddle up with your significant other in front of a computer monitor. :-)

There are some movies worth seeing at the theater... special-effect laden films like Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. Those films just can't be appreciated when seen on a monitor.
Old 08-24-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, seeing as my computer is my primary DVD player, I'd disagree. My girlfriend and I often watch my DVDs on it.

But if we want to talk about movies you download being a replacement, you're right in the fact, they simple are NOT. I think everyone here agrees.
Old 08-25-03, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by DRG
The commerical they should make:

Guy is in front of his computer. His friends are all about to take off to a movie.

"You coming?"
"Naw, why pay when I can just watch it for free?"

Cut back and forth from guys at movie having fun (camradery, audience laughing together, guy holding hands with girl as she smiles at him, etc.) to guy alone at home (download takes forever, first copy isn't even the right movie, second copy is crappy camcordered thing in a tiny window, etc.)

Granted, it's slightly dishonest as it doesn't take into account crappy movies, annoying moviegoers, etc. but it's still a lot better than the "you're robbing the poor set painter" approach.
Brilliant!

DRG
Old 08-25-03, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Kumar J
Malaysia has been really tough lately on VCD,music CD's and DVD vendors !I cannot find 1 store open or any any rental store of illegal music CD,VCD nor DVD's.
Ermm...not true anymore Kumar. The pirates are back albeit quietly. I asked what I asked because I was amazed with the OP.

Anyway, bootlegs don't bother me cuz I never buy them, even though practically everyone else in Malaysia does at least once. Doncha just love region-free players?
Old 08-25-03, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by John Sy
But I won't touch em...won't even buy Region 3 DVDs...all my DVDs I have to get from the States.
ummmm...huh?

Since when are movies from other regions bootlegs?
Old 08-25-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since when are movies from other regions bootlegs?
I think a lot of studios and distributors would like us to think that though .

I will say it's rather nice to be able to have all your DVDs one region... but just not very practical if you are a fan of, well, pretty much anything...
Old 08-25-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it is funny when people try to justify STEALING (AKA Downloading) movies or music by using the old "I wasn't going to buy it anyways" excuse. Why not just admit you are a thief?

If you were never going to buy the CD or DVD, then you should have never seen/heard it. You wanted it but did not want to legally pay for it. Too bad. Go without it unless you are willing to pay for it.

Movies and music are a product that companies put effort into producing. Obtaining these products without paying the companies is stealing from them. Just because you don't like the company or its busines practices doesn't mean you can steal from them.

Not supporting the movie/alblum can lead to fewer new items being produced. Ex/Destiny's Child might be the most popular group in the world but if their alblum only sold a tiny amount, due to people stealing their songs, the record company will not make a new alblum since the last one did so poor. Now the most popular band in the world won't make more songs.

Ways to see something without paying theater prices or full DVD prices.
These ways are totaly legal.
-Rent it. Rentals cost what? $3. If you like it, buy it. If not you didn't spend much on it.
-Borrow it from a friend
-Wait until it hits HBO or normal TV.

For music, doesn't Apple have a site that you pay $1 to download a song. This is totally legal and you only get the song you want and not a CD with 80% crap tracks.
Old 08-25-03, 06:26 PM

That is complete and total bull***** resinrats. Downloading is stealing? So when I was ten years old with my cassette tape in my recorder eagerly awaiting "Born in the USA" on my local station to complete my mix tape I was a thief?

No musician or band worth anything gets hurt by bootlegging. Does Beyonce have to sleep at a Super 8 when she's on tour? No. So she only made 48 million bucks last year instead of 55. Pardon me while I silently weep. If by some chance Beyonce does wind up not selling enough albums, well we are all better off for it.

On the other end of the spectrum, do I think Wilco sells any less albums because they get bootlegged? No. If anything, it gives potential fans a chance to hear a brillian band that corporate radio won't give the time of day. Show me one example where any artist has been hurt by mp3's, aside from only being able to afford a dozen pimped-out Escalades instead of 15.
Old 08-25-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Son-volt, took offense to the thief comment? Could there be a reason?

Getting something broadcast falls under the same rule as being able to record a movie off TV. This is legal. Downloading CD quality songs or high quality movies is not.

So you subscribe to the artist not getting hurt excuse. Well what if downloading continues to grow until there is a very visible effect. Producers look at nubers. If someone's sales are not high, why should they finance more alblums when they are not going to make money? End result, less songs being produced. Also, with less money being made in the record industry, most lesser bands will be dropped from labels and new singers won't get contracts. This also effects everyone involved in the CD, musicians, writers, recording stage costs, etc. They have to get paid as well. Guess you don't care about them.

As far as movies go. No matter what people say, the movie industry knows that downloading movies is hurting their profits. No excuses of crap movies because the crap movies brought in big bucks before. If ticket sales are down, why would a studio pump millions into a big project when they can get a few David Spade comedies for a much lower investment. Just think, people's precious LOTR might never have been made if the studio was unwilling to put in the bucks because the ticket sales were so low from bootleggers.

So you think that it is ok for Beyonce to loose 7 million to bootleggers (yes I know it is probably an example). Since she would have earned it, downloading thieves stole the money from her.

Lets put it another way. What if you were a singer? If you were going to make $20M for this year and wound up making $15 only you would complain? Of course you would. If I took a portion of your weekly paycheck, would you be fine with it. NO. You'd do anything you could to get what you earned. If you say you wouldn't mind loosing some of your money you earned, you are not only a thief, your a liar also.
Old 08-25-03, 07:44 PM

I don't take it personally at all. I have 30 gb of mp3's on this pc I'm typing on, and I sleep very well at night. Personally, I feel that with 3000+ cd's and 500+ dvd's in my collection I have purchased a personal dowloading license to get whatever I feel like getting. If you doubt me email and I'll send you my inventory spreadsheets.

That being said, in hindsight I must admit you have a valid argument. Technically downloading/recording music you don't own is theft. But there are laws that technically people violate everyday. It doesn't make them bad people or mean they hurt society. But this is way, way off track.

For me it comes down to one simple thing... good music and movies are not, inmho, hurt by bootlegging. That is a broad a sweeping generalization, but it's one that I feel stands up. Star Wars, Matrix, etc all made their money. Beyonce and Britney made theirs. But so did 28 Days Later and Wilco's last album. Was Britney and Matrix and Beyonce bootlegged? Yes. Would I be annoyed if I was one of them? Well yeah, I be pissed because I lost money and because I'm a talentless waste of space. But in the grand scheme of things are we as a society worse off? I would say no. As a matter of fact if a few obscure movies or albums actually get extra play because of the availability of the internet, then I'd say we are better off.

I'm willing to trade Justin Timberlake making a few million dollars less knowing that a crappy downloaded copy of 28 Days Later made people want to go see it in the theatre.

And yeah, I know I have zero moral ground to stand on. But that doesn't mean I'm not right.
Old 08-25-03, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by DataZak
Ermm...not true anymore Kumar. The pirates are back albeit quietly. I asked what I asked because I was amazed with the OP.

Anyway, bootlegs don't bother me cuz I never buy them, even though practically everyone else in Malaysia does at least once. Doncha just love region-free players?
Well I was in malaysia in end of May till middle of June.Went to Petaling Street and to my suprise not even one song was played.No CD's nor VCD's or DVD's! Yes that why I like to buy DVD players there because almost every DVD player sold in Malaysia and Singapore are Region Free.
Old 08-25-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well resinrats, I can't control what others do.

I don't cause anyone to lose any money, I know this, and I have no problems with anything I do.
Old 08-26-03, 07:25 AM

I LOVE the "Seinfeld" show about the film bootlegger !

ANYONE else see this ?
Old 08-26-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Son-volt
No musician or band worth anything gets hurt by bootlegging.
That's not true.

Bootlegging music has been a problem since recordable media found there way into the consumer domain. People will steal the master recordings in order to make a high quality bootleg before the actual album gets released in stores.

There have been quite a few cases where thieves actually stole the only master in existence and the album was never officially released. It happened a lot to live recordings when a sloppy audio engineer left his equipment alone for a few minutes with 20,000 people standing around.

Willie Nelson, Pink Floyd, and many others lost revenue because someone stole their live recordings and they were never able to put out a product. I believe someone stole Prince's master of a studio album back in the 80's and that album was never released. These are just from the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more cases. Paul McCartney even made master stealing the plot of a movie called 'Give My Regards to Broad Street' back in '84. (A movie I doubt anyone would bootleg.)

All cases where a big name artist lost out and so did their fans. All because someone had to bootleg an album.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.