Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Old 08-19-03, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The " David Goldstein " anti-piracy trailers are hilarious. It makes it seem like poor old David Goldstein is losing out on money from piracy.

This is a crock of ****. David Goldstein is probably a member of the IATSE and gets paid an hourly wage. He gets his pay cheque way before the bootleggers can get ahold of the movie.
Old 08-19-03, 09:26 AM

In fact, I don't think " David Goldstein " is real.
Old 08-19-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by C Roberts
My roommate buys bootlegs sometimes. Then gets all defensive when I refuse to watch any of them with him. Its sad.

On a semi-related note I have a question about legal aspects. He recently got a DVD+RW and is starting to record stuff off his TiVo. Now if he records The Matrix off of prime time NBC or something what is the legality of that?
I mean he can't make a copy of his DVD for his own use, but can he make a copy off the TV. I know with VHS this has always been okay, but digital copies are a bit different. Anyone know about this?
It's legal for him to record it off tv simply because of TIMESHIFTING laws set when the studio's were after VCR's. But honestly.. If you wont watch bootlegs, why watch a dumb down version on tv? Also note that they usually take about 2 years to air the film on tv.

and Lovitz, you know what's the bigger crock? the folks who actually pay for bootlegs. if you are going to pirate a film, don't line the pockets of bootleggers for it. It's not worth it.
Old 08-19-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I bought a crapply quality of a movie at a flea market, I'd go back the next week and give the dealer a little street justice.
First I'd slam his head into his table. Then I'd slam the geek through his card table, WWF style, before announcing what a looser the guy is through a megaphone and get all the flea market patrons laughing and pointing at the tubby dealer.

OK I wouldn't really do any of those things, but it was fun sounding Eastwood-like.
Old 08-19-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by C Roberts

On a semi-related note I have a question about legal aspects. He recently got a DVD+RW and is starting to record stuff off his TiVo. Now if he records The Matrix off of prime time NBC or something what is the legality of that?
I mean he can't make a copy of his DVD for his own use, but can he make a copy off the TV. I know with VHS this has always been okay, but digital copies are a bit different. Anyone know about this?
Recording from the tv onto a dvd is no different legally than vhs. It's fair use as long as you don't distribute it. Set-top DVD burners have been around for a while now.
Old 08-19-03, 10:49 AM

Surely flare65 MUST have known he was buying a PIRATE movie?

I thang you
Old 08-19-03, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Lovitz
The " David Goldstein " anti-piracy trailers are hilarious. It makes it seem like poor old David Goldstein is losing out on money from piracy.

This is a crock of ****. David Goldstein is probably a member of the IATSE and gets paid an hourly wage. He gets his pay cheque way before the bootleggers can get ahold of the movie.
It's a basic application of the economic principle of marginal values. The theory goes like this:

Star Wars Episode III is going to make money. It's going to get greenlighted no matter what. Gigli II, on the other hand, is going to lose money, and it's never going to get greenlighted.

There is a large class of movies where the call is a little more questionable. Let's say the studio is deciding whether to greenlight an untitled Matt Damon film on the Battle of Bunker Hill. The studio accountants look at the figures and go back and forth. On the one hand, it's Matt Damon, but on the other hand, maybe there's an unknown director attached, maybe the studio thinks The Patriot didn't do too well, so this won't either, etc. At the end of the day, the studio decides the film needs to gros $350 million worldwide within 18 months of release to be worthwhile.

Now, in a world without bootlegging, the accountants determine the film will have $200 million in ticket sales and $175 million in DVD sales. That adds up to $375 million -- no problem! The film gets greenlit, and we get to see Damon running around in a tri-corner hat.

In the world with bootlegging, though, the accountants run their numbers and figure the film will have $175 million in ticket sales (because some people will just buy a bootleg rather than see it in theaters) and $150 million in DVD sales. The grand total is $325 million, and th estudio decides to put its resources into another movie (Unitled Bea Arthur Sex Comedy) instead.

Untitled Bea Arthur Sex Comedy is cheaper to make, however, and they only need 4 lighting technicians instead of the 9 that would have been used for Untitled Matt Damon Bunker Hill Film. As a result, David Goldstein never gets hired, and he gets no paycheck.

Now, the numbers I use above are pretty exagerated -- I doubt bootleggers ever cost any film $50 million -- but the point is the same. For marginal films -- films where the studio is right on the cusp of greenlighting them -- bootlegging could spell the difference between a profit and a loss, and the result is that Hollywood will make fewer films.
Old 08-19-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 370 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
If I bought a crapply quality of a movie at a flea market, I'd go back the next week and give the dealer a little street justice.
First I'd slam his head into his table. Then I'd slam the geek through his card table, WWF style, before announcing what a looser the guy is through a megaphone and get all the flea market patrons laughing and pointing at the tubby dealer.

OK I wouldn't really do any of those things, but it was fun sounding Eastwood-like.
A good start, but you aren't a full DVDTalk member until you realize that you should give him a Sonny Corleone style beat down, complete with hand biting.
Old 08-19-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
It's a basic application of the economic principle of marginal values. The theory goes like this:

Star Wars Episode III is going to make money. It's going to get greenlighted no matter what. Gigli II, on the other hand, is going to lose money, and it's never going to get greenlighted.

There is a large class of movies where the call is a little more questionable. Let's say the studio is deciding whether to greenlight an untitled Matt Damon film on the Battle of Bunker Hill. The studio accountants look at the figures and go back and forth. On the one hand, it's Matt Damon, but on the other hand, maybe there's an unknown director attached, maybe the studio thinks The Patriot didn't do too well, so this won't either, etc. At the end of the day, the studio decides the film needs to gros $350 million worldwide within 18 months of release to be worthwhile.

Now, in a world without bootlegging, the accountants determine the film will have $200 million in ticket sales and $175 million in DVD sales. That adds up to $375 million -- no problem! The film gets greenlit, and we get to see Damon running around in a tri-corner hat.

In the world with bootlegging, though, the accountants run their numbers and figure the film will have $175 million in ticket sales (because some people will just buy a bootleg rather than see it in theaters) and $150 million in DVD sales. The grand total is $325 million, and th estudio decides to put its resources into another movie (Unitled Bea Arthur Sex Comedy) instead.

Untitled Bea Arthur Sex Comedy is cheaper to make, however, and they only need 4 lighting technicians instead of the 9 that would have been used for Untitled Matt Damon Bunker Hill Film. As a result, David Goldstein never gets hired, and he gets no paycheck.

Now, the numbers I use above are pretty exagerated -- I doubt bootleggers ever cost any film $50 million -- but the point is the same. For marginal films -- films where the studio is right on the cusp of greenlighting them -- bootlegging could spell the difference between a profit and a loss, and the result is that Hollywood will make fewer films.
nice sentiment, but i don't think we need MORE marginal films than we already have.

i'll just stick with "it's poor quality and wrong...except for star wars."

Old 08-19-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Scott Keith of 411wrestling.com. (Because he can say it better than I ever could.)

- So I’m watching Bad Boys II (and don’t even get me started on THAT piece of crap), but my current problem has more to do with the commercials that aired before the movie. Specifically (and I don’t know if this one is all over North America or what), one from the movie industry decrying the evils of piracy. Now, first of all, don’t get me wrong here – people who bring camcorders into movies and upload them to the internet should be hung by their balls. However, the whiny commercial, narrated by a “set painter” (probably an actor playing one, just because it’s Hollywood), makes two assertions about the situation:

1) The real victims are the innocent salaried workers who make the movie behind the scenes and don’t get a cut of the gross, and;

2) People who download movies on the internet are costing the movie industry money in general.

Okay, for the first one, last I checked people like set painters are unionized out the yin-yang and get paid well before a movie is even released, so even if a million people steal “Gigli”, they’re not affected by it. And in fact, movie studios are charging theaters so much for the prints that admission doesn’t even cover the cost of showing the movie -- theaters are forced to make their money back with the ridiculously priced concessions. And further, each year is triumphantly announced by the studios as the most lucrative ever, as each new blockbuster is supposed to be better than the last and generally makes more than the last. So I don’t even see where movie piracy is causing a decline in revenue, let alone enough of a decline that common set painters would be out of work. Perhaps, and here’s a thought to ponder, they should make less crappy sequels and overwrought bandwagon-jumping comic book movies and pump money into the independent moviemakers who are suffering far more damage at the hands of the studio system than the studios themselves are. Further, what are the movies they showcase while whining about poor film studios? “The Big Chill” and “Dick Tracy”, two of the most sickeningly crass and commercial mainstream movies ever made. I mean, Dick Tracy was pretty fun, but would the world have cried if the set painter had been forced to work on “Weekend at Bernie’s 3” instead? Am I supposed to think fondly of the hard work done on “From Justin to Kelly”? The music industry at least kind of has a point, but until the movie industry stops paying Jennifer Lopez $20 million a movie and stops giving Michael Bay $200 million to make a friggin’ COP MOVIE, they can blow me.
Old 08-19-03, 03:56 PM
Cool New Member

i paid $9.50 to do the commentary on the bootleg, along with the rest of the theater.
Old 08-19-03, 05:07 PM

For the original poster....
not sure if you are new to computers & printers, but anyone nowadays can make pretty nice covers.
Old 08-19-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I just get free copies of the movies on CDs until the DVDs come out.

I have a really good copy of T3, but I would never have bought it. I'll get the DVD when it comes out though.
Old 08-19-03, 08:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If everyone decides they are going to dl boots. The MPAA will turn into the recording industry.

I have one boot, and I'm ashamed to own it. It is Halloween 6 producers cut. I would not own it if I thought there was an chance we would see this for sale.

If it is good enough to copy. It is good enough to own. IMHO
Old 08-19-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by resinrats

Watching resinrats legdrop bootlegger thru a press table...

Originally posted by djones6746
No doubt....$9.00 for a piece of crap copy when all one has to do is excercise a little patience and obtain an official copy of this movie in a couple of months. Probably be out in November for the Xmas rush. I'll have this for $15.00 or less once it is released.
December 2nd, most likely. And hopefully $14.99.

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
Untitled Bea Arthur Sex Comedy
I'm not gonna touch that one.

K
Old 08-23-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So I was in Canal St. and I bought a Rolex but the hand ticks...?
Old 08-23-03, 12:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So, you're saying that bootlegs will give us Bea Arthur Sex Comedy instead of Matt Damon at Bunker Hill?

I better go buy me some bootlegs.

Seriously, those "movies--they're worth it ads" have been laughed at every time I've seen it in a theater. It's a terrible ad. I remember, when I was in England, they had a great anti-piracy ad.

It showed a guy going to a street vendor and complaining about a bootleg he just bought. The guy says, "I can't understand a word they're saying," and the street vendor says, "Oh, it's Trainspotting. No one can understand what they're saying." And the guy says, "And the picture is out of focus half the time," and the street vendor says something to the effect of "You get what you pay for, it's not my problem."

This ad is better because a) it has the audience laughing with it, not at it, and b) it's true! This is exactly what the original poster was talking about. Bootlegs AREN'T worth it. The MPAA is so wrongheaded about everything, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they couldn't get an anti-piracy ad right.
Old 08-23-03, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
So, you're saying that bootlegs will give us Bea Arthur Sex Comedy instead of Matt Damon at Bunker Hill?

I better go buy me some bootlegs.

Seriously, those "movies--they're worth it ads" have been laughed at every time I've seen it in a theater. It's a terrible ad. I remember, when I was in England, they had a great anti-piracy ad.

It showed a guy going to a street vendor and complaining about a bootleg he just bought. The guy says, "I can't understand a word they're saying," and the street vendor says, "Oh, it's Trainspotting. No one can understand what they're saying." And the guy says, "And the picture is out of focus half the time," and the street vendor says something to the effect of "You get what you pay for, it's not my problem."

This ad is better because a) it has the audience laughing with it, not at it, and b) it's true! This is exactly what the original poster was talking about. Bootlegs AREN'T worth it. The MPAA is so wrongheaded about everything, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they couldn't get an anti-piracy ad right.
That WOULD be a more effective ad in my opinion. Hope that AD makes it here in the US.
Old 08-23-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, given all these economic arguments as to why boots are bad, how does that differ in the end result from someone like me who:

a) buys cheap used discs or mispriced new ones, always legit never boots
b) lends them out to as many people as I possibly can for free

I figure I'm doing as least as much economic damage to the studios as a one-man bootleg vendor as my "customer base" are the kind of people with enough disposable income that the paying to rent or to purchase is not a problem, these are people who don't buy boots and would otherwise directly spend the money that they save by borrowing my discs.
Old 08-23-03, 02:28 PM

IMO, downloading a movie may be somewhat alright....only if you plan to buy it on DVD later. They now have legal download sites, but it's basically pay-per view on-line. In no way is copyright infringement right, but I believe that if you support the company and actually pay for the movie when it comes out, but you can't wait 5 months or so, its okay. Don't know if that made sense or if it's right.
Old 08-23-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would anyone who loves movies buy a bootleg DVD of a movie that is or is soon to be coming out in the theaters. Nothing beats seeing a film on a big screen. Even if the DVD had mint perfect picture quality, extras and commentary.. I'd still rather see it in the theater.
Old 08-23-03, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by turborobb
Why would anyone who loves movies buy a bootleg DVD of a movie that is or is soon to be coming out in the theaters. Nothing beats seeing a film on a big screen. Even if the DVD had mint perfect picture quality, extras and commentary.. I'd still rather see it in the theater.
I don't buy bootlegs, but at the same time, I hate going to the theater anymore. I just wait for the official DVD release. Rather see it in my home theater then having to deals with the stupid people at the movies. Just recently went to see Freddy vs Jason at the movies. Made me realize why I don't go anymore. There were no less then 10 kids in there under the age of 8. 1 was about 3 years old. Crying kids, noisy teenagers,....just ruined the experience.
But back to the bootleg question. I have no idea who would buy bootlegs. Uninformed people I would guess.
Old 08-23-03, 06:24 PM

I saw the anti-copyright ad today before a screening of Whale Rider. It has a guy whose job is to build movie sets, saying that he's not a millionaire, etc. and then at the end: movie, it's worth it.

Obviously, the message is if piracy continues or increases, guys like this won't have jobs. On the other hand, we all realize that if there're no piracies in this world, guys like these will see either no or very slight increase in what they take home.

At least they didn't have Jack Valenti saying those lines
Old 08-23-03, 08:05 PM

hey, if there was no piracy, he wouldn't have gotten the money to do that commercial
Old 08-23-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
As bad as bootlegging is, I just can't get the thought of a Bea Arthur Sex Comedy out of my head....

Seriously.... I saw a boot of Titanic years ago. It was so horrible (yes, you could see people walking down the aisle) I just had to laugh at the person who got it.

I will never knowinly buy a boot. I'm glad to see most of us are on the same page.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.